Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Interesting statement from Smith from todays presser..

I continue to wish him well and hope that he is able to provide what is needed. Even if he is successful in this quest I still don't think I will ever warm to him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

The first statement in the OP was really positive, I was actually really pleased to see Deano letting loose with a bit of fighting talk.

Shame it all went south in a hurry with the comments that followed!

"You don't get headhunted for playing boring football"... is this the most arrogant managerial statement since Roeder's "I don't remember your tenure as England manager"?

And then digging up the disconnect between Webber and the fans again, to stand up for Webber and have a veiled dig at the fans he allegedly really wants to get behind us?

I'm done with this guy.

that was the bit that really pissed me off, who the **** does he think is

1 hour ago, city4eva said:

Does he mirror the arrogance of the entire set up?

Edited by Indy

7 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Another good press conference from Dean Smith.

Concise an sensible answers.

Unfortunately talking a good game.doesn’t get any points on the board 

4 hours ago, ridgeman said:

Smith says he has never had a right footed player play left back what about Williams last season!

And Ashley Young at Villa?

That was a bit of a strange comment tbh and probably confirms that Byram is more likely to be backup for Max. 

6 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

To be fair though it’s what most newspapers do these days to get headlines unless you read something with a bit of substance 

An interesting metaphor for posters on here. Some are tabloids, some are broadsheets. I can think of a few I’d put in each category. 

Cambridge is obviously the Metro. Millions of copies everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

An interesting metaphor for posters on here. Some are tabloids, some are broadsheets. I can think of a few I’d put in each category. 

Cambridge is obviously the Metro. Millions of copies everywhere.

What paper would you see yourself as then Nuffy? 

I’d wish I could claim to be the guardian but Im probably more like The i newspaper as it’s like the guardian only cheaper 😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Are happy clappers ruining the cub at present

I’ll say it before someone beats me to it. There’s been a pair of them ruinning it for about 20 plus years now 🤷‍♂️ Although I don’t wholly agree with that sentence I’ll get it in before some of the more right wing do 😂 they’ve just had a wobble the past couple of years. 

Edited by By Hook or Ian crook

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

😳SHOCK NEWS😳Greavsy back to haunt Cambrdge again, CLICK HERE for more!

Seasonally appropriate at least! 👻

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

What paper would you see yourself as then Nuffy? 

I’d wish I could claim to be the guardian but Im probably more like The i newspaper as it’s like the guardian only cheaper 😂

As a vegetarian, Volvo driving, Labour Party member how can I be anything other than the Guardian? 😉 I have let the yoga classes slip the past few years though, need to try harder to retain my tofu eating wokerati status.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, city4eva said:

In the context of the whole video its not as arrogant as it comes across written.

And to be fair to him, he's had fans since he was appointed lie about his playing style, other fans have been personally abusive on here and other social media about him so I'm not sure fans can really take a pedestal on this one.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hogesar said:

In the context of the whole video its not as arrogant as it comes across written.

And to be fair to him, he's had fans since he was appointed lie about his playing style, other fans have been personally abusive on here and other social media about him so I'm not sure fans can really take a pedestal on this one.

It’s odd, he’s a pretty ‘normal’ likeable sort of guy - but seems to have been as divisive as Roeder.

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s odd, he’s a pretty ‘normal’ likeable sort of guy - but seems to have been as divisive as Roeder.

He has committed the cardinal sin of not being Daniel Farke.

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

He has committed the cardinal sin of not being Daniel Farke.

Obviously, I can't speak for anyone else, but I can categorically state that I am not anti-Smith because I have nostalgia for Farke. I am anti-Smith because I think he is at best mediocre and he is dragging the club down to his own level of mediocrity.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Obviously, I can't speak for anyone else, but I can categorically state that I am not anti-Smith because I have nostalgia for Farke. I am anti-Smith because I think he is at best mediocre and he is dragging the club down to his own level of mediocrity.

Seconded 

I don't have any particular affinity to Smith. To be honest, the only managers in my history of supporting NCFC I did feel any kind of empathy with were John Bond, Ken Brown, Dave Stringer, Paul Lambert and Daniel Farke. Mainly because their teams played decent football and won a few games.

I confess to detesting Roeder, Hughton, Grant and several others but would put Smith alongside Worthington, Morgan and others whose teams generally left me a bit meh. (But Worthington did sign Huckerby so I might be being unfair to him; Roeder signed Hoolahan, but I still hated his time here.)

My point is that it isn't unusual for a supporter base to not take to a manager. I find Smith a bit biege but whatever; as a bloke I wouldn't join him for a pint, but that doesn't in itself mean he's no good at his job.

However, when you coldly analyse our performances under him, there isn't a great deal between them. In particular, his senior players don't reach the standards they should reach - they consistently let him down on the pitch. I don't see them busting guts to close down, or sprinting into space, or tackling with any kind of aggression. I think that is telling. Every performance seems to be 5 or 6 out of 10. Sometimes that means we win against weaker sides or with a bit of luck; sometimes we lose, against better sides or without the luck. 

I don't think that 5 or 6 out of 10 performances, after a year in charge, is acceptable for a squad of this supposed quality. 

Some of the decision making about the squad has also been very confusing - deciding not to get a short term loan left back in; sending Rashica and Tzolis out on loan; letting Zimmermann and Rupp go; getting an injured CDM; not sticking with Sargent down the middle. In hindsight, all of these decisions seem incredibly bad, but they were pretty poor at the time too and many of us could see it.

So, for me, we need a new face in charge - Smith has had enough time.

I’m not anti Smith. I quite like him as a bloke. But I am not watching a well coached side playing anywhere close to what it is capable of and so for that reason I think he needs to go. No need for it to become personal though. It’s just not working. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I don't have any particular affinity to Smith. To be honest, the only managers in my history of supporting NCFC I did feel any kind of empathy with were John Bond, Ken Brown, Dave Stringer, Paul Lambert and Daniel Farke. Mainly because their teams played decent football and won a few games.

I confess to detesting Roeder, Hughton, Grant and several others but would put Smith alongside Worthington, Morgan and others whose teams generally left me a bit meh. (But Worthington did sign Huckerby so I might be being unfair to him; Roeder signed Hoolahan, but I still hated his time here.)

My point is that it isn't unusual for a supporter base to not take to a manager. I find Smith a bit biege but whatever; as a bloke I wouldn't join him for a pint, but that doesn't in itself mean he's no good at his job.

However, when you coldly analyse our performances under him, there isn't a great deal between them. In particular, his senior players don't reach the standards they should reach - they consistently let him down on the pitch. I don't see them busting guts to close down, or sprinting into space, or tackling with any kind of aggression. I think that is telling. Every performance seems to be 5 or 6 out of 10. Sometimes that means we win against weaker sides or with a bit of luck; sometimes we lose, against better sides or without the luck. 

I don't think that 5 or 6 out of 10 performances, after a year in charge, is acceptable for a squad of this supposed quality. 

Some of the decision making about the squad has also been very confusing - deciding not to get a short term loan left back in; sending Rashica and Tzolis out on loan; letting Zimmermann and Rupp go; getting an injured CDM; not sticking with Sargent down the middle. In hindsight, all of these decisions seem incredibly bad, but they were pretty poor at the time too and many of us could see it.

So, for me, we need a new face in charge - Smith has had enough time.

Smith is like the pretty but chubby girl you get with in between serious relationships to pass the time with but ultimately you know nothing serious will come of it. 

On 28/10/2022 at 22:52, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Smith is like the pretty but chubby girl you get with in between serious relationships to pass the time with but ultimately you know nothing serious will come of it. 

Ultimately, in modern football, the likelihood is that there will be no serious relationship with any manager. Farke was a freak occurrence, and actually has convinced me that being too emotionally invested in a manager either way can be damaging to the club.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie