Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Another silly loan deal?

I got slagged off a few weeks ago for moaning about Ramsey but I'm going to put my tin hat on and have another go. He was so bad at Reading that I was certain he would be left out yesterday. I'm even more astonished that he was allowed to stay on the pitch as long as he was against Preston. It was like playing with 10 men. He played hide and seek with 26,000 people and somehow managed to win. 

Have we got a Gilmour style loan arrangement with Villa? I can't think of any other good reason he would be playing. 

Incredibly harsh given his form prior to the two games. 

he’s a good player, but like nunez in the last two, hasn’t been at his best. He’s a smart player and is one of a few we have that can create. 

• Like 1

There have been flashes of quality from him but he is nowhere near good enough for this level. Don't forget he was at Chrltenham last year and didn't do a lot, 14 games 1 goal and he's now jumping up levels. He will always play though, one of DS's favourites 

He's a young lad. If the team's in a bit of a groove, he'll get in the groove with them and look good; if the team as a whole isn't meshing, he won't be the one to lead it back into gear, which is hardly surprising given his youth. 

The lad has already done far more than Gilmour in a quarter of a season. Just think back to last season when the whole squad played hide and seek home and away. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The lad has already done far more than Gilmour in a quarter of a season. Just think back to last season when the whole squad played hide and seek home and away. 

Agree. His last two games weren't great but prior to that he'd done ok. Seems more ' on it'  than Dowell generally, who has nice skills but not much "Oomph!." 

Maybe his performances are pivotal to ours? 😇

I think he found it hard to get involved yesterday. As said, he’s young and he’s learning, which would be fine if he was one of our own. Would much rather see one of our own players play.

12 minutes ago, astro said:

I think he found it hard to get involved yesterday. As said, he’s young and he’s learning, which would be fine if he was one of our own. Would much rather see one of our own players play.

I agree that loans are less than ideal. The trouble is, if you're trying to stretch finite resources to acquire players as far as you can, bringing in loan players is a good way of stretching those resources further. At the same time, if you're going to get clubs to send you decent loan players, they need to see that their player has developed with you or the loans will soon dry up. At the same token, it is costing you game time for players you do own. It's a dilemma borne of the underlying inequity in modern English football; c'est la vie. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I agree that loans are less than ideal. The trouble is, if you're trying to stretch finite resources to acquire players as far as you can, bringing in loan players is a good way of stretching those resources further. At the same time, if you're going to get clubs to send you decent loan players, they need to see that their player has developed with you or the loans will soon dry up. At the same token, it is costing you game time for players you do own. It's a dilemma borne of the underlying inequity in modern English football; c'est la vie. 

I’m just not sure his current job and performance level couldn’t have been fulfilled by one of our own. If he was playing like Skipp, then it would be totally justifiable that he gets a game each week, but he’s not. Dowell or Sinani would have done the same job, with the same hit and miss performance I reckon. 

Edited by astro

Cantwell would be playing if Ramsey wasn’t, so given he’s injured surely Ramsey is the obvious choice as he’s certainly ahead of Dowell, Sinani and Argos in the pecking order 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I bet Plymouth are kicking themselves for singing Mumba on loan and not blooding one of their own. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I bet Plymouth are kicking themselves for singing Mumba on loan and not blooding one of their own. 

Player of the Match against Ipswich apparently!

13 matches, no goals. Has only made it past the 75th minute once and usually withdrawn early on in the second half, which says a lot about what he is actually contributing. You would hope Cantwell starts at a Watford next week if we stick with 4-3-3. It’s a shame we have so many injuries to players who could play out wide.

Nothing against Ramsey but shouldn’t be more than a impact sub for us currently.

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Player of the Match against Ipswich apparently!

7/7 wins at home, just the move the lad needed. Hopefully he returns here full of confidence next summer to kick on his career in a yellow shirt. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

7/7 wins at home, just the move the lad needed. Hopefully he returns here full of confidence next summer to kick on his career in a yellow shirt. 

Sorry, I've run out of reactions, but 👍

He has some good games but he’s very inconsistent which is perhaps not unusual for a youngster. I do agree he was ineffective at Reading and I was surprised to see him in the team yesterday. He was also completely out of the game yesterday and should have been the first player taken off.

I’m not quite sure why he seems to be selected for every game when we’ve seen before that Dowell can be very effective at this level when given a run of games. 

10 minutes ago, Clint said:

13 matches, no goals. Has only made it past the 75th minute once and usually withdrawn early on in the second half, which says a lot about what he is actually contributing. You would hope Cantwell starts at a Watford next week if we stick with 4-3-3. It’s a shame we have so many injuries to players who could play out wide.

Nothing against Ramsey but shouldn’t be more than a impact sub for us currently.

It’s a shame also we offloaded our other two wide players on loan so only have one genuine winger. 

Why he is with us he should be treated like any other player and picked on merit.

But that means it would’ve been extremely harsh to drop him purely due to his performance at Reading. Whilst he may have been poor in that game it was widely acknowledged he had been one of the best performers in the previous couple of games.

To instantly drop him after one poor game would have a considerable impact on a young players confidence and his willingness to take chances in future games (which is the type of player I think he is and actually what we really need!). I wouldn’t expect Smith to do that to a young ‘one of our own’ players and nor would it have been right to do it to Ramsey.

Havimg now had two poorer performances, higher quality opposition  AND with the return of Cantwell it is probably more reasonable to give him a rest against Watford

• Like 1

Thought ramsey was good for a game or two but he's a youngster and will be inconsistent. Clearly not at a level where he should be our starter that's for sure but Smith couldn't care less, he's doing a favour for a club he cares about.

Once the form properly drops of and Smith goes he'll be first out of the team.

• Like 1

There's also the issue of where he's played. I don't think it's coincidence that his performances have tanked once asked to play on the wing. 

I thought he was a bit anonymous in the last two games. It happens with young players.

A Todd Cantwell firing on all cylinders is required sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

I thought he was a bit anonymous in the last two games. It happens with young players.

A Todd Cantwell firing on all cylinders is required sooner rather than later.

Been waiting 2 and half years to see a Todd Cantwell firing on all cylinders, I wouldn’t hold your breath that he is the answer. 

This is the team needed put on the pitch asap

Hayden

Nunez        Sara

Cantwell

Sargent       Pukki   

The midfield diamond will work...but not with inexperienced youngsters such as Gibbs and Ramsay at the bottom and top

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

This is the team needed put on the pitch asap

Hayden

Nunez        Sara

Cantwell

Sargent       Pukki   

The midfield diamond will work...but not with inexperienced youngsters such as Gibbs and Ramsay at the bottom and top

Or 4 2 3 1 which has got us promoted twice 

Krull

Max, Andrew O, Hanley, A N Other 

Sara Gibbs

TC  Pukki  Nunez

Sargent 

Subs - anyone but Ramsey