Sign in to follow this  
daly

Norwich City Fans Part 2

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Mrs nutty says there's nothing like that on Professor T...

Buy her a new crown.

59 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Queuing for hours to see a dead body as a tourist attraction is not for me but each to their own, but time to be sensible and let the world decide to watch the coverage on Monday if they like. 

I'm sure you won't want to relax and watch on your unexpected day off for as you know there's always someone waiting in the wings to snatch your ' outstanding ' crown if you're caught off-guard even just for a moment 😀

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

40 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

That’s literally what they’re doing, maybe I’ll correct it to seeing a box containing a dead body. You say ‘lying in state’ I say Potato, let’s call the whole thing odd 

An outstandingly poor comment from someone with outstandingly inflated opinions of his own ability.

• Like 2

To clarify, ‘outstanding’ is a rating for observations and us an official judgement of schools and until very recently individual teachers lessons. I believe ombudsman  use the same ratings in other sectors eg hospitals. I believe the specific use of ratings for individual staff performance was only teachers, but could be wrong. 
It’s a profession where there are literally league tables published in national newspapers to compare performance to name and shane the ‘failing’ schools and cast blame for societies ills. Just like this utterly moronic ‘safer schools alliance’ that accuses schools of indoctrinating the youth into becoming trans or malevolently feeding them liberal ideologies. But when a school and staff are praised or rated as outstanding they have to keep that firmly to themselves, it’s just not cricket to be proud of yourself apparently. 
I know loads of outstanding teachers, getting phenomenal outcomes for every range of child you could imagine. I’d hate for them to even consider themselves as ‘OK’ at what they do. It’s a job where you get kicked, daily, so I’m not kicking myself or my colleagues by observing false modesty. I hope everyone feels like they’re great at their job, and I’d happily have them state that and feel proud too. Pupils lacking confidence and self belief cripples their progress, especially relative to their fortunate peers in independent schools whose confidence puts them ahead (and fair play) post 16 and beyond and their willingness to back themselves should not be hushed because it just isn’t the British way. 

Why do people have to have such dyed in the wool strong opinions one way or the other about things that are inconsequential to their daily lives and things that they cannot affect regarding everything nowdays? Why is a persons political opinion now become like their religious beliefs as well in terms of how meaningful it is to define yourself as a person? Whatever happened to just not giving a **** and getting on with your life? I'm not a pre internet boomer saying that either I'm only 28.

I have no opinion about the royals one way or another because it doesn't affect me and I just don't care. I liked the queen as a person because she seemed a good'un and had a sense of humour but thats on a human level, the issue of her title or standing in society means nothing to me. Why do you lot care so much about either being loyal to the royal family or against it? Switch off the news and the internet and get on with your own lives. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

An outstandingly poor comment from someone with outstandingly inflated opinions of his own ability.

As you do not know what ability I have, commenting on how inflated it is is not actually possible is it. 
I do recognise though that anyone on the other side of the royal debate to you, cannot possibly be allowed to have an opinion. I am sorry you’re upset by alternative viewpoints to the extent that you try to belittle others that hold such views. I realise for you the Queen’s demise has hit you hard and lashing out makes you feel better, so I’ll not take your comment to heart. 

1 minute ago, SwearyCanary said:

As you do not know what ability I have, commenting on how inflated it is is not actually possible is it. 
I do recognise though that anyone on the other side of the royal debate to you, cannot possibly be allowed to have an opinion. I am sorry you’re upset by alternative viewpoints to the extent that you try to belittle others that hold such views. I realise for you the Queen’s demise has hit you hard and lashing out makes you feel better, so I’ll not take your comment to heart. 

A little humility on your part wouldn’t go amiss.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Just out of interest. What is it people are queuing to see? If not a coffin containing a corpse, what is it otherwise? Why do people have to see it to ‘pay their respects?’ Presumably they could just do that from home and people with cancelled operations could get their new hip and stop living in pain a month or two earlier than they being made to? 

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

Fair enough. Some lessons I teach are down right dog turd. Can’t win ‘em all, but I luckily get enough time to turn the bad ones back the right direction. 

11 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Why do people have to have such dyed in the wool strong opinions one way or the other about things that are inconsequential to their daily lives and that they cannot affect regarding everything nowdays? Why is a persons political opinion now become like their religious beliefs as well in terms of how meaningful it is to define yourself as a person? Whatever happened to just not giving a **** and getting on with your life? I'm not a pre internet boomer saying that either I'm only 28.

I have no opinion about the royals one way or another because it doesn't affect me and I just don't care. I liked the queen as a person because she seemed a good'un and had a sense of humour but thats on a human level, the issue of her title or standing in society means nothing to me. Why do you lot care so much about either being loyal to the royal family or against it? Switch off the news and the internet and get on with your own lives. 

If a relatives funeral was cancelled would you feel differently? I totally respect the stance of those that just want get on, but if there were no opponents then those unfussed become those taken advantage of. All sides of all issues need representation. Because unfortunately there will always be difference of opinion.
This issue sticks with me, other issues, I’m like you and don’t really care, but if these issues happen to be ones you feel strongly about, surely you’d want the freedom to hold those views and defend them? Im not sure you’d be happy to have me just say ‘well I’m not bothered so I’m not sure what everyone’s so worked up about’. 

Not a dig at all, genuinely just trying to explain why the debate is rumbling

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

21 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Fair enough. Some lessons I teach are down right dog turd. Can’t win ‘em all, but I luckily get enough time to turn the bad ones back the right direction. 

Bit of a U turn here and well overdue. If you’d just said “ I’m an outstanding teacher…..at least that’s what OFSTED think anyway “  or something with a dollop of self-deprecation and humour you probably wouldn’t have been shot down so swiftly and deservedly.

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

PS anti Monarchists are called Republicans. That's an important word because it describes around 90% of the world's population. 

Sorry but that is nonsense, there are other systems of governance, if you were an anarchist you wouldn't support either, and then there are totalitarian states, despite having 'Republic' in its official name, North Korea does not have a monarchy and isn't a republic either, its a totalitarian state.

There are numerous systems of governance:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AList_of_countries_by_system_of_government/alternate

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Bit of a U turn here and well overdue. If you’d just said “ I’m an outstanding teacher…..at least that’s what OFSTED think anyway “  or something with a dollop of self-deprecation and humour you probably wouldn’t have been shot down so swiftly and deservedly.

Thanks for the unrequested feedback, I’ll tuck into that with the side serving of condescension you’ve delivered it with. U turn would suggest I said ‘Every lesson teach is amazing’, which I didn’t. 

I’ll be sure to phrase my next post in a way that everyone understands to prevent upsetting the shrinking violets timidly raising their dislike of the phraseology in such a calm and non aggressive manner. 

All because they don’t like people that are anti monarchy. 

Enjoy the last few days of your mourning, bet you can’t wait not to feel sad anymore. 

51 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

To clarify, ‘outstanding’ is a rating for observations and us an official judgement of schools and until very recently individual teachers lessons.

I have had dealings with lots of schools in my career and would pay little or no heed to the judgements of OFSTED. I'm not knocking good schools and good teachers, but any "outstanding" comments by ofsted should totally be taken with a pinch of salt. What matters most is a teacher's teaching and their pupils, not any labels put on their work.

As a visiting teacher to schools over the years, I have been ofsteded several times and I've always taken any comments from them - as being pretty irrelevant - often the person detailed to watch my lessons has been clueless about the subject I teach and the way it needs to be taught - they go away and make up comments that are so off the mark it is unbelievable - the best they can often come up with is bland complimentary statements which show they know absolutely nothing about what they are seeing.

Nice to be told you are good at your job, it's human nature - and it gives you a boost, but personally, I wouldn't pay much attention to what Ofsted says.

I saw a particularly aggressive meander in a river the other day that had the potential for ox-bow lakeage, but not quite yet. It’s coming soon though.

I’ll keep you all updated 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I know it’s more about politics but this was well done by Rangers fans

CA4E2C60-0C2F-4314-8D95-5046909FD5B4.jpeg

I guess they didn't sing verse 6 of the national Anthem: " "Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush, God Save the King."

11 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Jerusalem at the Commonwealth Games medal ceremonies for England is always great.

Love belting that out at the start of the day's play when I go to a Test match. Much better than our insipid anthem... although its one saving grace is that it is at least mercifully short!

3 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

I saw a particularly aggressive meander in a river the other day that had the potential for ox-bow lakeage, but not quite yet. It’s coming soon though.

Cheers Buh. Muchas gracias 

11 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I have had dealings with lots of schools in my career and would pay little or no heed to the judgements of OFSTED. I'm not knocking good schools and good teachers, but any "outstanding" comments by ofsted should totally be taken with a pinch of salt. What matters most is a teacher's teaching and their pupils, not any labels put on their work.

As a visiting teacher to schools over the years, I have been ofsteded several times and I've always taken any comments from them - as being pretty irrelevant - often the person detailed to watch my lessons has been clueless about the subject I teach and the way it needs to be taught - they go away and make up comments that are so off the mark it is unbelievable - the best they can often come up with is bland complimentary statements which show they know absolutely nothing about what they are seeing.

Nice to be told you are good at your job, it's human nature - and it gives you a boost, but personally, I wouldn't pay much attention to what Ofsted says.

But if Ofsted say progress is ‘outstanding’ using ALPS as a statistical measure to evidence this their judgements are, as they have been since they reformed a lot, far more effective. Trouble is if schools that are ‘requires improvement’ or below and the school say ‘it’s a stitch up, Ofsted are rubbish’ they get laughed at. If schools get ‘Good’ or ‘outstanding’ and the school mention it, someone says, ‘yeah but Ofsted don’t really know what they’re doing’. Lose lose. Pupils outcomes and wellbeing are teachers number 1 priority, it’s everyone else’s priorities that cause the problems. 
So having dealings with schools and being a visiting teacher means you are a teacher? Or are you not? Otherwise you’d say ‘I’m a teacher’. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Personally , I'm watching the progress of a terminal moraine. ( No, not you Buh, you're a terminal moron) 😇

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Personally , I'm watching the progress of a terminal moraine. ( No, not you Buh, you're a terminal moron) 😇

Terminal or lateral moraines are so boring. Only one colour you can use 

Just now, SwearyCanary said:

Terminal or lateral moraines are so boring. Only one colour you can use 

Yeah must admit at approximately  Zero noticeable progress in my lifetime I'm thinking of taking up a different hobby. Maybe waiting for Preston to score?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Jerusalem at the Commonwealth Games medal ceremonies for England is always great.

Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory are both quite rousing songs but unfortunately Jerusalem refers to the myth that Jesus and Joseph of Arimethea visited England and Land of Hope and Glory is about Empire building and the glory of war. I can't see either being chosen but think that England definitely needs an anthem to make its people proud of their Nation. 

Woody Guthrie wrote a brilliant song about America once. Something like that would be perfect. 

I think this would be a perfect National Anthem. It’s about togetherness, having aspirations and striving to achieve them-and it was written by someone born in Norwich so what’s not to like?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I think this would be a perfect National Anthem. It’s about togetherness, having aspirations and striving to achieve them-and it was written by someone born in Norwich so what’s not to like?

Norfolks Hannah Spearitt

🔥 

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

But if Ofsted say progress is ‘outstanding’ using ALPS as a statistical measure to evidence this their judgements are, as they have been since they reformed a lot, far more effective. Trouble is if schools that are ‘requires improvement’ or below and the school say ‘it’s a stitch up, Ofsted are rubbish’ they get laughed at. If schools get ‘Good’ or ‘outstanding’ and the school mention it, someone says, ‘yeah but Ofsted don’t really know what they’re doing’. Lose lose. Pupils outcomes and wellbeing are teachers number 1 priority, it’s everyone else’s priorities that cause the problems. 
So having dealings with schools and being a visiting teacher means you are a teacher? Or are you not? Otherwise you’d say ‘I’m a teacher’. 

Qualified, top of the scale teacher, but in recent years part time as I pursue other career paths. 

You say -  "Pupils outcomes and wellbeing are teachers number 1 priority" which is absolutely right, then you say "it’s everyone else’s priorities that cause the problems." Yes - and in my experience that includes ofsted.  That is why I take any grading with a pinch of salt. In my time as a visiting teacher, I have worked in two schools that consistently got outstanding rating - one of them I could see why, the other was such a tense place to work because the heads and govenors at the school was desperate to try and keep that label - that it affected the atmosphere in the school for teachers and pupils - it started to feel very constricted.  On paper - or statistically maybe outstanding, in reality though, far from it - it was punching above it's weight - and it eventually started to struggle. The label "outstanding" became a noose for that school.

I've also worked in schools where reports have not been so good - again, you could sometimes  see why, sometimes not - mostly though, ofsted - or more correctly the ofsted officials - as I said before, in my experience, have been quite often very poor. I could liken it to football referees - they see something and have a response to it that a different referee would disagree with. So the way I view anyone that says "you are great" is that someone else could look at it and say "na, don't think so".   It's just labelling - and labels are often, underneath it all, meaningless. 

• Thanks 1

Probably because you didn’t want to hear it 

Edited by daly