Sign in to follow this  
Tony DaWonderful

Will Jennings...what a plum!

Absolute drivel!

LETS GET THIS STRAIGHT RIGHT NOW...

Farkeball failed for one reason, poor recruitment!!! Where have you bothered to mention that in your 'Smith love in' post.

Just bleating on about how it failed in the Prem twice. Anyone managing that team couldn't of successfully avoided relegation and I don't believe 'Mr Dour' did, did he? He took us down with 3/4 of the season left. With 1 more point. We purchased poorly and paid the price. Sure Farke may have had some say, but we'd all want Messi and Haaland if we could of afforded it.

So yeah I will enjoy winning with my 'Green Yellow army', but don't gloss over the fact we have looked disjointed and don't think for one moment it's a given that it'll get better or just click.

So I suggest maybe focusing your writing efforts on why we don't share the love that you do with 'Deano' and why can't we look back and wish it ended better for both parties with Daniel.

So NO I for one wont forget about the style of play, the passion, the noise and most importantly the connection we felt with and for Farke concerning this club. He is something Smith never can or will be!

OTBC

• Like 2

I saw the headline and decided it wasn't worth reading. Glad I didn't, as judging by your message, he was critical of Farke.

I think Smith is doing a decent job and I don't have a problem with him staying (even though I find him a little uninspiring). However, I absolutely and whole-heartedly wish that we had never sacked Farke. I don't think I will ever "get it" with a manager like I did with him again.

Edited by All the Germans
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I saw the headline and decided it wasn't worth reading. Glad I didn't, as judging by your message, he was critical of Farke.

I think Smith is doing a decent job and I don't have a problem with him staying (even though I find him a little uninspiring). However, I absolutely and whole-heartedly wish that we had never sacked Farke. I don't think I will ever "get it" with a manager like I did with him again.

The article gave me the red mist, which upon reflection probably means this 'cornflake' works for the 'talk****e' pillocks.

But yeah it's the 'This man wants it and feels it as much us' rapport that I loved and now miss.

Edited by Tony DaWonderful

No idea what you are responding to, but Farke started believing in his own hype and was falling out with and discarding players at an alarming rate. 

It would have been nice to have bought more expensive players, but perhaps Farke would have destroyed their confidence last season like he did Tsoliz, Giannoulis and Cantwell. Adam Idah looks a new man under Smith too, and what on earth was Farke thinking discarding Onel in favour of the Polish beanstalk.

I think Farke had some extreme personality traits which saw him fall out with a lot of players, was their unity in the squad? Last season I don't think things were harmonious at all. He could be a bit toxic. 

I'm sure Leitner was difficult to work with, but it always shocked me that Trybull was put in the bomb squad, seemed like such a nice chap and gave it all on the pitch.

Farke did really well to build a league winning side in just 2 seasons here, but he's got a dark side and I'm not sure we can actually afford to sustain his attrition rate when we're talking big money players. More manageable when they are cheapos and free agents. 

If Mr. Dean 'a bit mediocre' Smith leads us to a league title this season i think people may start to realise that our success is down, dare I say it, to our growth off the pitch, and our philosophies imposed by Webber and Ward, and not as much down to Farke being some sort of a genius. 

If Farke was a genius at anything it was cultivating fan buy in. Smith is already showing himself better at making game changing subs... Sara on for the assist yesterday weren't it?

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

However, I absolutely and whole-heartedly wish that we had never sacked Farke. 

Well Onel will be pleased we did. 

• Like 1

Most of the negativity around Smith has **** all to do with pining for Farke. People like Will Jennings use the straw man it as a way to dismiss opposing opinions.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

A man who says 'we' a lot when he means 'I'.

Which does rather sum up your anti City rants. Farke has gone. Get over it, is pretty much his message.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

but Farke started believing in his own hype and was falling out with and discarding players at an alarming rate. 

The impression I got from Farke, which started after the banishing of Leitner without explanation is that he's a little unhinged. That continued with other players and he even had Klose banished from the training with the first team towards the end. 

I think any perceived slight on Farke would result in an extreme response from him that he felt he didn't have to explain to anyone and the board clearly allowed that to continue for a period of time until the results no longer made sense to take that approach. 

His negativity in interviews in building up other teams and playing down our chances made the whole thing even more bizarre.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

No idea what you are responding to, but Farke started believing in his own hype and was falling out with and discarding players at an alarming rate. 

It would have been nice to have bought more expensive players, but perhaps Farke would have destroyed their confidence last season like he did Tsoliz, Giannoulis and Cantwell. Adam Idah looks a new man under Smith too, and what on earth was Farke thinking discarding Onel in favour of the Polish beanstalk.

I think Farke had some extreme personality traits which saw him fall out with a lot of players, was their unity in the squad? Last season I don't think things were harmonious at all. He could be a bit toxic. 

I'm sure Leitner was difficult to work with, but it always shocked me that Trybull was put in the bomb squad, seemed like such a nice chap and gave it all on the pitch.

Farke did really well to build a league winning side in just 2 seasons here, but he's got a dark side and I'm not sure we can actually afford to sustain his attrition rate when we're talking big money players. More manageable when they are cheapos and free agents. 

If Mr. Dean 'a bit mediocre' Smith leads us to a league title this season i think people may start to realise that our success is down, dare I say it, to our growth off the pitch, and our philosophies imposed by Webber and Ward, and not as much down to Farke being some sort of a genius. 

If Farke was a genius at anything it was cultivating fan buy in. Smith is already showing himself better at making game changing subs... Sara on for the assist yesterday weren't it?

Errr, the current article on the home page matey.

Yeah totally agree Farke could be a bit dismissive of his players, but which of his cast off's are currently tearing up trees and making us wish he'd kept them? Cantwell wasn't Farke..it was personal stuff (allegedly), Tzolis isn't good enough, Idah scoring against Everton made him a new man!? He won't ever be prolific unfortunately. As for our man 'Onel!' let's face it he loves us and we love him...but he isn't Premiership class and has struggled in the Champs.

As for Smith being a master tactical genius that's honestly laughable. He throws roughly 3 on at a time between the 64th and 74th minute and normally it's the energy lift we need to get our foothold back with the quality we have. I believe any of us could manage that!

It all just feels a bit 'Meh' and you're maybe right Smithy will win us over, but I will truly love the 'Farke Years' for better and worse. Just don't think Deano will give us that same passion.

Edited by Tony DaWonderful
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

Yeah totally agree Farke could be a bit dismissive of his players, but which of his cast off's are currently tearing up trees and making us wish he'd kept them? Cantwell wasn't Farke..it was personal stuff (allegedly), Tzolis isn't good enough, Idah scoring against Everton made him a new man!? He won't ever be prolific unfortunately. As for our man 'Onel!' let's face it he loves us and we love him...but he isn't Premiership class and has struggled in the Champs.

As for Smith being a master tactical genius that's honestly laughable. He throws roughly 3 on at a time between the 64th and 74th minute and normally it's the energy lift we need to get our foothold back with the quality we have. I believe any of us could manage that!

It all just feels a bit 'Meh' and you maybe right Smithy will win us over, but I will truly love the 'Farke Years' for better and worse. Just don't think Deano will give is that same passion.

I reckon we'll all be chanting "Deano!" by the end of the year.

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Time to move on from farke'

Hes right you know. Just like your ex he anit coming back no matter how many sad and angry posts you make

People like Will Jennings and cambridgeshire canary use the straw man it as a way to dismiss opposing opinions.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I reckon we'll all be chanting "Deano!" by the end of the year.

I will *never* utter the word 'Deano'. It makes people sound like a 14 year old chav from 1990. Most likely wearing a shell suit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

The impression I got from Farke, which started after the banishing of Leitner without explanation is that he's a little unhinged. That continued with other players and he even had Klose banished from the training with the first team towards the end. 

I think any perceived slight on Farke would result in an extreme response from him that he felt he didn't have to explain to anyone and the board clearly allowed that to continue for a period of time until the results no longer made sense to take that approach. 

His negativity in interviews in building up other teams and playing down our chances made the whole thing even more bizarre.

I find it strange you think you need / deserve / are owed an explanation and even more strange that you assume because you do not have an explanation, that the people who do require one, didn't get one.

I own up to still missing Farke but you appear to be basing all of the above on assumptions due to a lack of information (that we all have). I also do not think they are opposing views, missing Farke and wishing we still had him is not mutually exclusive with supporting Smith and thinking he's doing decent.

17 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I will *never* utter the word 'Deano'. It makes people sound like a 14 year old chav from 1990. Most likely wearing a shell suit. 

Is Smithy any better?

I thought that was Dean Ashtons chant to be honest? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

It all just feels a bit 'Meh' and you're maybe right Smithy will win us over, but I will truly love the 'Farke Years' for better and worse. Just don't think Deano will give us that same passion.

Right just to clear up a few bits.

Farke wanted to send both Placheta AND Hernandez out on loan, however, Placheta had covid and then long covid and this prevented him from being loaned out. By the time Smith arrived we were down on moral and he used Placheta as fresh, keen blood and with no other alternatives at times. 

The treatment of Giannoulis is odd. Why on earth did we sign him in January if he was going to be dropped for Williams so easily? If we were going to carry a championship full back surely we'd have been just as well off paying less for Quintilla? Or keeping him on loan and not taking up the option on him? Seems bizarre looking back on it really. Or even not loan out McCallum and keep him as back up.

As for the substitutions - nope. Farke was worse, left until the last 5-10mins of games. Stubborn refusal to change anything which lead to many folks on here asking if he had a plan B. Last season, he tried to reinvent the side and failed. He stuck at it like he wanted to prove his sides could play differently and didn't get us anywhere.

I'm going to be forever grateful for his time with us, and I would have loved for that time to be longer. Certainly one of the best managers we have had this century, but for me, is behind Lambert in terms of getting the very best out of his players and keeping us up for a season in the premier league and arguably laying the foundations for the two seasons that followed, albeit the 3rd saw us relegated after our strike force was dismantled and replaced with substandard, over-priced junk.

As I have said before, you can like both Farke and Smith, you don't have to slag one or the other off. They are different people and different coaches.

Farke is part of that recruitment process too, he doesn't escape blameless. We wanted to go fewer players, more quality, we tried, but couldn't land any of them. That doesn't excuse that our head coach couldn't get better out of players that we went for, he still had a say in that. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, chicken said:

The treatment of Giannoulis is odd. Why on earth did we sign him in January if he was going to be dropped for Williams so easily? If we were going to carry a championship full back surely we'd have been just as well off paying less for Quintilla? Or keeping him on loan and not taking up the option on him? 

It weren't an 'option', it was an obligation to make permanent upon promotion, same with Gibson.

As a massive fan of Mr Farke, and taking an interest in Monchengladbach because of his presence there, I agree with jennings sentiment that it's best to move on; we are entering a new and exciting chapter with a new manager who' is getting us good results with a promising group of players and new investment coming into the club on the back of it. 

It does seem to me that there's a bit of sentiment that accepting Smith is a betrayal of Farke, but it isn't; success with Dean Smith takes nothing away from Farke's time at the club. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree that we need to move on from Farke and get behind Smith, however it doesn't mean that we should abandon the ambition to play good football, especially in the Championship.

He fails to mention that it goes against what Webber set out to achieve when he first arrived - playing 'the Norwich way', and the playing philosophy not drastically changing when a new coach comes in. 

I was really proud of the style of football under Farke, and it's a shame that we have regressed in that aspect. Maybe Webber has softened his stance on this issue, reflecting that we need to be a bit more adaptable/pragmatic/realistic in order to survive in the PL. 

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Smith still had the option to recall Hernandez in January...and didnt , at a time where Tzolis was deemed not good enough and Placheta was on the bench!

...and at a time where Farke had deemed Hernandez not good enough to be part of his plans for the whole season; seems a bit much to expect a new manager to walk in and randomly believe players out on loan he's never met will be the answer to all his prayers. 

Farke is irrelevant now. What matters is whether Smith is delivering.

Last season we had an error-strewn defence. No change there. Last season we had a shapeless midfield where everyone seemed free to go wherever they wanted and so we could be cut through at will by our opponents. No change there. So I would argue those are two key areas where Smith is not delivering.

Where is there improvement? Sargent, obviously, but judging by Wednesday night, only if he is moved to the centre. So how do we accommodate both him and Pukki? Smith still has work to do on that one. The midfield is looking more creative, but is this just because Núñez, Gibbs and Cantwell are better than Gilmour, PLM and Normann (who wouldn't be)? 

For me, the obvious reason for better results is much weaker opposition. Improvement, if any, is marginal.

Six out of six is great, but this hagiographic article by Jennings telling us all to shut up and trust in Smith is massively premature.

EDIT: I'll add that Smith's in-game substitutions have largely been good, although sometimes I think they have just corrected errors in the original team and formation. It is also easy to make effective substitutions when you have players of our quality on the bench. It doesn't take a genius to put a player on the pitch who has scored 80 goals over the last four seasons, including 22 in the PL.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Fergie used to do this all the time if a player stepped out of line too often. Even to the biggest stars at the club.  It would be more weird if in five years Farke hadn't binned some people off to the U23s.

I agree that part of his downfall was interviews about the other teams. I think after Hughton that has become totally unacceptable for Norwich fans now. And rightly so. 

I like Smith and am backing him, but that doesn't mean I would have sacked Farke or think his dismissal was fair/correct. I don't and I've said before he could have basically had a job for life in my book. He was an unbelievable manager and we were lucky to have him, but in Smith I'm sure we have a very good manager and the Villa fans loved him for a reason - I'm sure we will too in time. Go on Deano!