Sign in to follow this  
Ramrod

Getting the Enjoyment Back

It's a peculiar season so the EPL has more regular matches than usual before the World Cup break. 

But otherwise it would be a much more sparse fare for the sides not competing in Europe. But not only sparse. Quite often you get just one home match in a month. I hate it. 

For a side like Norwich you can go weeks without a win or draw and that's a problem because football supporters enjoy a match for days before and after and if you take that away, as happened during our last two EPL seasons, the fun gets sucked out of being a fan. 

Already, after a hard fought win at Birmingham, we look forward to another Saturday home game and for a few weeks now it's been this regular and this stimulating. 

True Club fans don't support their side because of the league it is in and below the EPL the fan experience is much greater and this includes the sense of fairness in being able to compete. 

So I'm loving being back in the Chumps. Yes, it's great to be winning and it would be great to gain promotion but then it becomes a case of 'here we go again' with the incoming journeymen and speculative chancers who wouldn't give a Club like ours a second look if it wasn't in the EPL. 

Enjoy this season while it lasts. There is a familiar feeling growing that Norwich City is getting on a roll. 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I hope its a bacon roll with brown sauce 😋

HP  I hope.😉

• Haha 1

You reckon if / when we get promoted we can accept the money but refuse the promotion?

Dumb **** media will be happy we we haven't gone up and we don't have to go up and sit through a season of sh1t.

Only thing I want from the prem is to see haaland play for real. Outside of that not bothered.

I got my cr7 panini sticker last year, so that was about the highlight.

Another great seen 

4 hours ago, Ramrod said:

It's a peculiar season so the EPL has more regular matches than usual before the World Cup break. 

But otherwise it would be a much more sparse fare for the sides not competing in Europe. But not only sparse. Quite often you get just one home match in a month. I hate it. 

For a side like Norwich you can go weeks without a win or draw and that's a problem because football supporters enjoy a match for days before and after and if you take that away, as happened during our last two EPL seasons, the fun gets sucked out of being a fan. 

Already, after a hard fought win at Birmingham, we look forward to another Saturday home game and for a few weeks now it's been this regular and this stimulating. 

True Club fans don't support their side because of the league it is in and below the EPL the fan experience is much greater and this includes the sense of fairness in being able to compete. 

So I'm loving being back in the Chumps. Yes, it's great to be winning and it would be great to gain promotion but then it becomes a case of 'here we go again' with the incoming journeymen and speculative chancers who wouldn't give a Club like ours a second look if it wasn't in the EPL. 

Enjoy this season while it lasts. There is a familiar feeling growing that Norwich City is getting on a roll. 

It’s a sad that we have to drop down division to become competitive and get enjoyment! Wasn’t so long ago as a kid we used to give all the top teams a game, we had World Cup winner playing for us and Saturday was such a great day to look forward to! Bring back the early 80’s!

11 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

My partner is 13 years my junior, the enjoyment is definitely back. 

Have you dropped a division?

8 hours ago, Indy said:

It’s a sad that we have to drop down division to become competitive and get enjoyment! Wasn’t so long ago as a kid we used to give all the top teams a game, we had World Cup winner playing for us and Saturday was such a great day to look forward to! Bring back the early 80’s!

Sadly 40 years is quite a long time!!!

9 hours ago, Indy said:

I remember those days and games, but it seems like a such a long time ago now. Being competitive (against most teams) is something we can achieve in the PL with a few cleaver additions and not selling the family silver off when/if we go back up. 

For real enjoyment to come back, we need some serious regulating and the stopping of the Newcastles of the world (and others) simply buying their position and level with dubious finances.

Will it happen?

• Like 1

Ideally I would like a mid ground between being pathetically useless and too good for the league we're in.

As Webber said there are about 70 clubs who would gladly swap places so let's not whine too much.

I'm afraid money has ruined football for the majority of supporters and those days in the 80s and 90s are long gone. Televised football unfortunately changed everything.

Norwich fans know all about our “dissatisfaction “ at finishing 3rd in the premiership. Just reading an article by Arsenal player who says their aim is to finish 4th. That sums it up. Talking at work yesterday about Gerry Francis. To think that QPR side never won the title (and now they never will). 

Our fundamental problem has been the failure to get the right skills in midfield…. Two seasons with Kenny McLean in there is gross incompetence in my view!   No lesson learned.    That’s why Skipp was a mistake (didn’t address the issue long term).   If we have players with athleticism / anticipation / tenacity, doesn’t matter if they have championship quality, they will make us more difficult to beat, offer a screen for the defence and allow our full backs to be more progressive.    They will be more productive than what we’ve had but we need them and back up as the priority!

We would be more competitive and difficult to beat.    We can then develop from there.

Essential in the scouting is to dismiss players that don’t have the required pace and anticipation!   Those natural traits that can’t be improved by coaching.   

We also need a deeper squad of players who could step up and contribute…. That’s why we need to stop loaning and develop our own skills and experience….even if it takes that extra year.   Better right now to speculate to accumulate.

11 hours ago, Indy said:

Bring back the early 80’s!

Great days the 80's. I could put my socks on without having to sit down on the edge of the bed, and sleep through the night without getting up for a pee (even after a few pints). Youth - it's wasted on the young!

• Haha 1

I'd rather do what we do than do what Forest have done. 21 players with absolutely no connection to the club; mercenary footballers; no youth system to speak of; no community impact.

As the OP says, I always want to win every game but if that means we have to go into the EPL again, I think I'd rather we finish 7th. Or just announce up front that we aren't going to buy anyone and will just use the money to rebuild our ground and support our area at a time of hardship.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

You reckon if / when we get promoted we can accept the money but refuse the promotion?

Dumb **** media will be happy we we haven't gone up and we don't have to go up and sit through a season of sh1t.

Only thing I want from the prem is to see haaland play for real. Outside of that not bothered.

I'm got my cr7 panini sticker last year, so that was about the highlight.

Another great seen 

Against our defence ?

*shudder*