Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Winners and Losers v Sunderland

4 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Another winner: Tim Krul: booed all game, crucial save, lovely time-wasting antics. Must have been a very satisfying result for him.

I quite liked this.

Screenshot_20220827-211332_Twitter.jpg

7 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

That would be a mistake as Dowell is not a 'wide player'. We saw this last season when Smith gave him a run wide right. He's an advanced attacking midfielder or nothing.

I seem to remember him coming in for a suspended Buendia a couple of seasons ago and having one of his best performances in the shirt from wide position. Obviously he drifted inside but he was playing from the right. 

Ideally he would be a 10 but we don't use one of those.

1 hour ago, GenerationA47 said:

As it happens, I’ll be staying there either side of the Blackpool away game.. would be ideal to try it out.. if I & my host weren’t vegetarian 😞

They have versions for vegans, vegetarians, and carnivores. I had the sauerkraut/mushroom pierogi, followed with tiramisu. My friend took the chorizo and cherry tomato spätzle.

Menu (thesparrows.me)

• Thanks 1

Agree with the majority of these but I think slightly unfair on Hernandez, he was our main outlet in the first half and if it wasn’t for him providing relief getting forwards down that left side I’d hate to think how much more pressure we’d have needed to sustain at the other end. 

His end ball wasn’t always too bad either, he played it inside okay a couple of times to Sargent, he played a nice chipped semi cross to Nunez and he was unlucky with another.

Much better to have him there, involved, but perhaps things not quite working out, than someone like Sinani who I’m genuinely not even sure if he touched the ball in the first half. Indeed Sinani’s failure to get involved was to the total detriment of Aarons too who barely managed to cross the halfway line except a couple of moments in the closing stages before half time.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Agree with the majority of these but I think slightly unfair on Hernandez, he was our main outlet in the first half and if it wasn’t for him providing relief getting forwards down that left side I’d hate to think how much more pressure we’d have needed to sustain at the other end. 

His end ball wasn’t always too bad either, he played it inside okay a couple of times to Sargent, he played a nice chipped semi cross to Nunez and he was unlucky with another.

Much better to have him there, involved, but perhaps things not quite working out, than someone like Sinani who I’m genuinely not even sure if he touched the ball in the first half. Indeed Sinani’s failure to get involved was to the total detriment of Aarons too who barely managed to cross the halfway line except a couple of moments in the closing stages before half time.

This. We’re back to the “if Onel was better, he wouldn’t be playing for us” point. He was a good receiver of several long balls on the left, and he often makes defences panic when he runs at them even if the end product isn’t perfect. I thought he was a little more cautious than his “normal head down and run until I lose it” approach today, and he did a decent job.

Sinani did his best to live up to his one good game/one bad game reputation today. A bit unfair to say he never touched the ball first half, but not much came of it when he did.

At the end of the day, they are both valuable players to have and I think they will both play a significant part in a long season. Neither are nailed on as starters, but then who would have Sarge down as one a month ago?

• Like 2

Much as I love him I think Onel should not be starting and we should probably be going with only one of Dowell and Sinani away from home against teams that will press us. Hopefully, with  confidence restored Sargent will also thrive in the wider role he played towards the end which means we can accommodate him and Pukki. 

Edited by Jim Smith

Just now, overthebordercanary said:

Know it's early days but that was nunez worst performance.

And I think I'm right in saying he had more shots than anyone else?

12 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

We’re back to the “if Onel was better, he wouldn’t be playing for us” point

I see this said a about him a lot and I don't really buy it. Sure if his end product improved dramatically then he'd be at a higher level but right now it isn't good enough to be a starter at a top championship team. So if he improved a bit he'd be a starter but it isn't like if he improved at all he'd be too good for us.

Since his excellent season in Farke's first promotion Onel has had 53 starts and 41 appearances from the bench. In that time he's delivered 5 goals and 5 assists. In comparison Sinani has delivered more than that in the last two seasons with only 39 starts and 11 subs (9 goals and 6 assists), Dowell has 6 goals and 4 assists in 39 starts and 21 sub appearances. 

The question is whether Argos is better off starting the game and wearing them out with his tuns, or coming on as a sub and running at them when they are tiring> I think however that maybe decided when Rowe, Sorensen and the two left backs are fit. 

3 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

Know it's early days but that was nunez worst performance.

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

And I think I'm right in saying he had more shots than anyone else?

.........and his pass was a major part in the goal

Haters just gonna hate

31 minutes ago, BigFish said:

.........and his pass was a major part in the goal

Haters just gonna hate

Bit ott to call someone just pointing out he didn't play brilliantly yesterday a 'hater.' Save that level of debate for twitter.

I'd agree it was probably his worst performance so far but his others have all been very good. You've got to expect the odd less impressive performance from a 22 year old adapting to a new league and country.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, king canary said:

Bit ott to call someone just pointing out he didn't play brilliantly yesterday a 'hater.' Save that level of debate for twitter.

I'd agree it was probably his worst performance so far but his others have all been very good. You've got to expect the odd less impressive performance from a 22 year old adapting to a new league and country.

If the cap fits

Just now, BigFish said:

If the cap fits

In the highlights when nunez took the ball into his own penalty box, lost it then luckily blocked it, Chris Gorehams voice went up an octave, which normally comes out for a massive **** up. 

This backs up that he wasn't bad but not as good as he has been. If that makes me a hater then you wear a cap reading massive ****.

8 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

In the highlights when nunez took the ball into his own penalty box, lost it then luckily blocked it, Chris Gorehams voice went up an octave, which normally comes out for a massive **** up. 

This backs up that he wasn't bad but not as good as he has been. If that makes me a hater then you wear a cap reading massive ****.

Seem to have touched a nerve here

Edited by BigFish

He didn't like being harassed and closed down quickly , possibly he'd be better suited at home games where we have a lot more of the ball and dictate play a lot more.🤔

24 minutes ago, BigFish said:

If the cap fits

Does it though? Quick glance at this posters history doesn't suggest he's anti Nunez although happy to be corrected.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Does it though? Quick glance at this posters history doesn't suggest he's anti Nunez although happy to be corrected.

I'm not, I think his settled in really well. Just my opinion was it was his worst game for us, and I get ****ing abuse for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Enough of your hatred and abuse. What will the players say when they see this during their weekly forum-reading get together?

• Haha 1

On 27/08/2022 at 16:43, king canary said:

Winners

Us! - We're second in the League! 

Grant Hanley- some absolutely heroic blocks to keep us in it today. His commitment can never be in doubt

Josh Sargent- remember when the idea of a Sargent goal was a joke? It's an absolute laugh riot at the moment.

Teemu Pukki- the form of Sargent led to some questions about his role but his cameo suggested Smith needs to find a way to get them both on the pitch without shunting Sargent out wide.

Dean Smiths in game management- 60 minutes of crap then three subs that changed the game. Criticism for the first half is due but the credit for changing the game outweighs it.

Aaron Ramsey- very impressive 30 minutes, feels like he'll be starting next game.

Issac Hayden- there is always a player who's reputation grows the more he doesn't play and having watched Sunderland slice through our midfield like butter one too many times I've decided it's him.

Losers

Dean Smith for 60 minutes- wow were we poor. After winning two on the bounce it was frustrating to see us come out and act like a team pressing us was some great shock. He can count himself lucky we weren't out of the game by the time his subs changed things.

Kieran Dowell- when he's bad he's really bad.

Onel Hernandez- the full Onel- nice running, lots of step overs, no end product. Back to the bench with you Argos.

Milot Rashica- benched one week, out of the 18 now. An underwhelming end to an underwhelming spell is surely on the cards.

Alex Neil- Sunderland are good. Stoke are not. Bad call Alex.

I like this way of analysing a match, more please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

I'm not, I think his settled in really well. Just my opinion was it was his worst game for us, and I get ****ing abuse for it. 

Perhaps you should have used the words "least effective" ....."worst" sounds as if he had a bit of a mare 😔

On 28/08/2022 at 18:41, Nuff Said said:

I like this way of analysing a match, more please.

Yes, me too. Hope it becomes a regular feature.

One of the constants in my almost forty years supporting this club is the player whose reputation rises through not playing.

Currently in my head Isaac Hayden is Makelele.