I’m a fan. He’s out-performed the (low) expectations when he’s been called on, and I think is one of those dressing room characters too. Doubt he’s a massive drain on the club’s funds either. He could be looking at a coaching role when he retires? With international and PL experience, we could do worse.

Happy anniversary! 👍

• Like 1

He's a good keeper. Model pro and keeps himself in top condition. It's a nightmare for young keepers trying to break through as he's a very good 3rd choice and doesn't let us down.

• Like 1

Played a very important part in our last promotion when he had to step in for a few games. Looked a bit rusty in his first couple, but looked a pretty class act after that, especially in his shot-stopping.

Isn't a typical Farke-style goalie who can play with the ball, but he can keep the ball out.

51 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Here's to another six!

Amazing highlight reel I bet he has...

I wasn't keen at first. When we signed him I went to a pre-season friendly. This was just after the Euros where he was an absolute giant for NI and I couldn't have been any less impressed. Watched him in the warm-up and he genuinely couldn't catch a thing. But he has never let the team or club down. Model pro

You would have thought he would wanted to prioritise games over money, but clearly thought otherwise.

42 minutes ago, komakino said:

You would have thought he would wanted to prioritise games over money, but clearly thought otherwise.

No, I wouldn’t have thought that. You, on the other hand appear incapable of a pleasant thought about anyone or anything Norwich City related.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

No, I wouldn’t have thought that. You, on the other hand appear incapable of a pleasant thought about anyone or anything Norwich City related.

Rubbish. 

If I were in his shoes, I would have preferred to be at a club where I was likely to get games over the last 6 seasons, even if it meant dropping down a level or two. However the evidence suggests the latter. 

When some players get to a certain age, they will go for money and sit on bench or less, but for comparatively good money. That’s how it goes. 

We’ve always had a lot a young keepers at the club and I would always prefer a young player from our youth program over somebody like McGovern, but that’s just my opinion. Others may disagree. 

2 hours ago, komakino said:

If I were in his shoes, I would have preferred to be at a club where I was likely to get games over the last 6 seasons, even if it meant dropping down a level or two. However the evidence suggests the latter. 

You aren't in his shoes though, are you? And game time is not everything. He may have a young family, have settled here and would rather see his kids grow up in Norfolk than move them to some lower league club just for the sake of his own professional pride. 

@Nuff Saidis spot on about you. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You aren't in his shoes though, are you? And game time is not everything. He may have a young family, have settled here and would rather see his kids grow up in Norfolk than move them to some lower league club just for the sake of his own professional pride. 

Be hard pressed to get a move now anyways regardless. With the greatest of respect to McGovern you're not gonna find many clubs wanting to buy a 3rd choice 38 year old keeper to be their 1st choice!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

And neither are you.

Nobody knows what McGovern really thinks, but I’m just giving my perspective that you would think as a footballer you would like to play as much as possible, as footballers get paid very high compared to the vast majority of people, so you would play for the love of the game as they don’t need the money. 

I generally think experienced keepers for the 3rd spot at our level is a waste of money, as that should be for an up and coming keeper, but others will disagree..,

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's being groomed as a gk coach so you may get your wish

I was hoping that would be Krul….  How many keeper coaches are we allowed?

3 minutes ago, komakino said:

And neither are you.

Nobody knows what McGovern really thinks, but I’m just giving my perspective that you would think as a footballer you would like to play as much as possible, as footballers get paid very high compared to the vast majority of people, so you would play for the love of the game as they don’t need the money. 

I generally think experienced keepers for the 3rd spot at our level is a waste of money, as that should be for an up and coming keeper, but others will disagree..,

I would send the promising ones out on loan.  Sort of think a 3rd keeper could be the keeper coach, especially experienced one with a  good attitude 

17 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I would send the promising ones out on loan.  Sort of think a 3rd keeper could be the keeper coach, especially experienced one with a  good attitude 

Got no problem with McGovern being coach. 

31 minutes ago, komakino said:

And neither are you.

Couldn't disagree more with that last sentence. 3rd-choice goalie should be an old head who's been there and done it, and is invariably a whetstone in training for any young goalies coming up, as well as for the two in front. Young goalies need game time due to the unusual mental pressures of the position, and it's only through experience that you deal with it. McGovern's got plenty of that. Send the youngsters on loan.

Also, he'll know he's not going to get much game time, but he'll be expected to be absolutely ready if the chance comes around. He did that excellently in our last Champs season.

He's probably at the stage where he needs something stable. I suspect he's readying to become a full-time goalie coach. Always good to have ex-players in the coaching position if he's decent at it as there's no need to worry about them settling in.

Edited by TheGunnShow

39 minutes ago, komakino said:

Of course he needs the money, bet he wasn't on much more than a grand a week at Hamilton.

He's chosen the contract that has seen his kids alright and ensured that they don't have to move school.

Uprooting his family to Oldham or Rochdale for a couple of years just so he can add a 80 more appearances to his career stats at the expense of his kids education would be ludicrously selfish. Besides, he's actually played a few Premier League games for us after deciding to stay. Surely a footballer should want to play at the highest level possible? In domestic football he now has. 

He can say he's played in the Premier League!

Also, part of the job of the third keeper is to get absolutely battered taking the elbow hits for corner and free kick practice when the first choice keepers need protecting. It isn't an easy job, Webber has explained this before. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten