Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Heatwave..

I've moved a matress downstairs to sleep at night. The top floor is so hot that I thought it may help.

• Like 2

When the sun goes down, get the windows open and keep them open overnight until about dawn, then shut all the doors and windows at dawn. This will help get the house down to the lowest possible temperature. Then keep all doors and windows shut all day to keep the heat out. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I will be sleeping naked in the garden

Mind the hedgehog.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

When the sun goes down, get the windows open and keep them open overnight until about dawn, then shut all the doors and windows at dawn. This will help get the house down to the lowest possible temperature. Then keep all doors and windows shut all day to keep the heat out. 

And the curtains closed during the day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

And the curtains closed during the day. 

Especially if you live near van wink, just in case he over sleeps! 😊 

31 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I will be sleeping naked in the garden

• Haha 4

Last year we bought a massive paddling pool, apparently for the kids but it's been worth it's weight in gold for us lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Last year we bought a massive paddling pool, apparently for the kids but it's been worth it's weight in gold for us lately.

They may great beer coolers as well!

IMG-20220711-WA0009.jpg

• Haha 1

The climate change but jobs are out in force on the tele today.

30 minutes ago, Bert said:

It's very British to comment on the weather all of the time, but staging major demonstrations about the weather takes it to the next level!

14 hours ago, ricardo said:

Mind the hedgehog.

They can compare the size of their pri*cks!

Edited by horsefly

59 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's very British to comment on the weather all of the time, but staging major demonstrations about the weather takes it to the next level!

Apparently most nations talk about the weather a similar amount, when measured by changeability. Our weather is more unpredictable, so naturally we remark on it more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Maybe they have a very valid point and should have been listened to a long time ago. 

Anyway, to the catastrophists. Yes, we know it's dangerously hot and how to behave in such weather. 

To the kippers. No, we're not a nation of snowflakes. It is ****ing dangerously hot. 

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Maybe they have a very valid point and should have been listened to a long time ago. 

Anyway, to the catastrophists. Yes, we know it's dangerously hot and how to behave in such weather. 

To the kippers. No, we're not a nation of snowflakes. It is ****ing dangerously hot. 

They absolutely do have a valid point, but in my opinion they haven't been improving awareness, but damaging sympathy for their activitism by choosing demonstrations that in no way have anything to do with climate change: Disrupting trains and disrupting cyclists in the Tour de France, for example. 

13 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

They absolutely do have a valid point, but in my opinion they haven't been improving awareness, but damaging sympathy for their activitism by choosing demonstrations that in no way have anything to do with climate change: Disrupting trains and disrupting cyclists in the Tour de France, for example. 

Bit broad brush there lyb? It’s like saying “we” are all cocaine snorting hooligans because a few football fans fit that description.

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Bit broad brush there lyb? It’s like saying “we” are all cocaine snorting hooligans because a few football fans fit that description.

Public perception of the protests is broad brush; nobody says 'oh that protest was off key, but that one seemed reasonable'. All the protests are for the same cause and will be lumped together in most people's eyes.

All of the protests are organised. They should choose their targets more intelligently and think about whether its an appropriate activity to protest for the theme of the protest. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Hot days in summer , wow who would have thought 

next we will be complaining it’s windy in autumn and cold in winter

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Public perception of the protests is broad brush; nobody says 'oh that protest was off key, but that one seemed reasonable'. All the protests are for the same cause and will be lumped together in most people's eyes.

All of the protests are organised. They should choose their targets more intelligently and think about whether its an appropriate activity to protest for the theme of the protest. 

Fair enough, I read “they” as anyone supporting climate change protests, it looks like you specifically mean Extinction Rebellion or similar. Although I think they would argue it is now so urgent they need to be extreme, and there is something in that. But I agree, the effect on the perception of the public may be more negative than desired.

• Like 1

In the heatwave of 1976, we built igloos out of white dog s.hit for shelter from the sun and we fanned each other with our bell bottoms and big collars.

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Back in the day when Bruce Rioch was our manager, the first game of the new season was at CR with temperatures in the mid-90s.  In his pre-match interview he said "I shall make sure the players drink plenty before the game and I would advise the fans to do the same".

Probably the most unnecessary piece of advice ever given . . .

• Haha 1

Luckily Cornish granite houses are cool and I can pop out into the garden and pop back every now and then. Having lunch now. Cream Crackers as I can't bear the thought of anything heavier.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Medical advice says avoid alcohol.

You'll notice there's only one can. That's practically avoidance! Theres also a 1.5 litre bottle of water in there. I wasn't allowed to get another can until I'd drank all of that and filled it up again. It sort of worked.

57 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Luckily Cornish granite houses are cool and I can pop out into the garden and pop back every now and then. Having lunch now. Cream Crackers as I can't bear the thought of anything heavier.

33c here in NR2.  I've just had a hot chicken curry.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, king canary said:

Just got clarity - does its weight in gold include the water? I hope so, Kerrrrrching! 

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

You could actually make-believe you're in India at that rate!

Indeed, and ive just had a nice cup of tea.

14 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

You could actually make-believe you're in India at that rate!

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Indeed, and ive just had a nice cup of tea.

Is the punkah wallah going fast enough?