Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*Norwich vs Marseille pre season match thread*

Have to say this ref is cack. He really isn't helping the concept of this being a friendly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

Have to say this ref is cack. He really isn't helping the concept of this being a friendly.

Whilst he's clearly not a great ref I think the game being played at almost full speed is probably a positive and that's down to it being a little more feisty. 

Pros- Cantwell back to his best, some pretty good passes and pressing and Lungis wonder goal

cons- Sargent pretty much invisible, McCallum poor and Marseille treating this like it's a champions league final trying to injure our players

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Whilst he's clearly not a great ref I think the game being played at almost full speed is probably a positive and that's down to it being a little more feisty. 

I don't have an issue with the pace or even the feistiness, but the ref is equally so in his approach which isn't helpful. He's also got a fair number of calls wrong.

He's brandishing cards like this is the Champions League final or something, needs to be calmer in his approach and having a bit of a word at times. The yellow for Rashica was incredibly poor considering the number of rather heavy footed and deliberate kicks that our attacking players are getting. All he was doing was returning the ball to where the ref had pointed to. In fact, in that scenario, they'd looked for the quick freekick which the ref clearly allowed only for Guendouzi to pick it up because he didn't want a quick free kick... then threw it 10ft further forward. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Agreed. Whilst we certainly don't want anymore injuries, we do need to be up to near full tempo for Hibs and Celtic.

Decent half.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pros- Cantwell back to his best, some pretty good passes and pressing and Lungis wonder goal

cons- Sargent pretty much invisible, McCallum poor and Marseille treating this like it's a champions league final trying to injure our players

Sorry but you are dead wrong about that. He's been decent for the role he has been asked to do. The only reason we scored when we did is that he ran 10yrds, blindsided the player with the ball, mugged them and then took the game closer to their penalty area - all on his own. Which is why he then lost the ball, by which point we were pushing a good 10-15yrds further up the pitch. Almost Pukki-esque some might say. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

cons- Sargent pretty much invisible,

He's struggled to get involved against two Europa League level defenders. Better than most, if not all, he will face in the Championship.

2 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

So far this is a very useful outing I would say. Regardless of the final score this was a worthwhile match.

Agreed.

We really must get Cantwell to sign a new contract IMHO. He looks the best we have at doing what he does. I know Dowell is good too, but Todd seems to have that change of pace which in of itself is a very handy thing to have in your locker. 

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

And totally disagree with this, I think he's looking decent. 

Yes I tend to agree, looks ok, the same for Sargent, he’s not really been given anything yet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He's struggled to get involved against two Europa League level defenders. Better than most, if not all, he will face in the Championship.

I don't think he's struggled at all. He's come short, played the ball, held the ball up... it's not as if he has been given clear chances. He's shown some very skilful moments too.

He has seemingly been "quiet" because our forward play has mainly been down the flanks without really providing any crosses or balls into the box particularly, usually cut back to the edge of the area when Sargent will be lurking around the pen spot.

• Like 2

We're trying to get behind them with overlaps rather than through the middle which is why Sargent isn't seeing much of the ball.

At least we're trying to play, rather than the hoofball we saw against Kings Lynn.

• Like 1

Do like how Rashica got a yellow for simply putting the ball where it should be for a fee kick meanwhile the Marseille players can just fly in studs up and the ref gives them a wink and a 'non non non'

• Like 1

Glad to see Todd back to something approaching his best - our standout player that half. 

Loved the Sorenson strike, but a little slow in possession in dangerous areas on occasion. McCallum has done okay, but a little disappointed by Sinani so far. 

It's a bit scrappy from both sides, but to be expected at this stage. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

And totally disagree with this, I think he's looking decent. 

Marseille look most threatening down our right. Possibly due to Aarons and Sinani not totally in sync. Don't know if that's how they always play or if they think it's a weakness of us.

Gunn, Hanley, Zimmermann, Giannoulis and Hugill on.

Krul, Omobamidele, Gibson, McCallum and Sargent off.

• Thanks 1

Dirty b******s aren't they?

I know it's a friendly but now I hope Jordan gets a chance to pay them back

• Like 1