Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*Norwich vs Marseille pre season match thread*

67 goals in 307 appearances. Make of it want you want but that is Jordan's stats.

He didn't look too hot playing Farkeball but who knows what style Deano will choose. It isn't too evident yet.

I assume he will be third choice.

30 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Svensson seemed to score important goals from what I remember. Equalisers and winners. It’s not just how many that makes a striker. 

yes Svensson was a real handy player that was my point if Hugill is on the bench in a tight game maybe drawing and he gets 6 goals all season but they turn those draws into wins he will be worth it alone 

i think It is Pukki , Idah then Hugill but if Hugill is scoring like this match and in good form then for me he must get rewarded for it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Idah and Hugill in a top two is pretty much just 'cross for a goal'

And what is wrong with crossing? It has always been a good source for producing goals. Didn't we have the stat of most headed goals when Holt and Morrison were keeping us in the EPL?

I'm not sure ManC won't be doing a lot more next season.

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And what is wrong with crossing? It has always been a good source for producing goals. Didn't we have the stat of most headed goals when Holt and Morrison were keeping us in the EPL?

I'm not sure ManC won't be doing a lot more next season.

Unless I'm mistaken I did not say there's anything wrong with crossing 😂

Hopefully we can use Hugill in a more positive role. Under Farke it was bring him in the 89th minute just to make a nuisance of himself and run to the corner flag.

With the right service (i.e crosses) he can be a threat. Farkeball didn't suit him.

Also recall Birmingham A, scrappy game we were leading by a single goal and under pressure. Hugill came on late and cleared the cross from which Skipp made the result safe.

He's absolutely dying to get his head on things (particularly set pieces) and that could be valuable, especially with a set piece coach now in play 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

67 goals in 307 appearances. Make of it want you want but that is Jordan's stats.

He didn't look too hot playing Farkeball but who knows what style Deano will choose. It isn't too evident yet.

I assume he will be third choice.

But that’s not a fair stat if half those appearances were for 5 minutes at the end of a game. Goals per minute played are a fair stat. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Olympique de Marseille versus Norwich City Football Club, at Fos sur Mer. Jewel of la Cote Bleue, with Europe’s largest oil refinery immediately to the east and  a massive seaport/petro-chemical wasteland immediately to the west.

I haven’t read through the thread, so this may be repetitious, and bear in mind the last time I was at a Norwich City match was February 2020, and I have never seen any of last summer’s signing (apart from Angus Gunn) ever play football, let alone any from this summer, so I struggled to identify players. That said…

Neither of this summer’s signings impressed at all. As said, I did have trouble recognizing players, but frankly Hayden and Sara might not have been playing for all the good they did.

However that triallist we had wearing the number 14 shirt I did notice. Very energetic and keen to have the ball. Even on one occasion sprinting back towards Krul (him I DID recognize) calling for the ball. Some obvious rookie flaws as a triallist, trying too much to hold on to the ball when the attack could have been continued with a simple pass, but if no other club is offering him a contract I suggest we do.

It was windy, especially in the first half, and our opening goal (not a clue at the time who it was who scored) was 
a cracking shot and probably would have beaten the keeper without the mistral behind it. Turns out it was Sorensen. I know Sorensen is one of those players who gets better the less the play. I am no judge, but Marseille seemed to find more room in the first half down that flank than down our right. 

I have seen it said that Rashica will do well in the Championship. Based on today, against a Marseille side a bit behind us in terms of pre-season, but then still Marseille, I would say he will. Not least because he seemed to form a give and go understanding with that Number 14 triallist.

I have also seen it said that we needed to bulk up a bit physically. Too many lightweight players. With this being an argument for Sargent and his physicality, despite his technical shortcomings. Fine, but I couldn’t help noticing that even the supposedly physical Sargent was dwarfed by some of the Marseilles players, such as numbers 22, 18, 42, and 13.

The second goal was one of those offside or it is oddities. Hugill (I think it was) looked obviously offside as he chased a lofted pass,  but -  I think-because he didn’t actually attempt to play the ball - he was not flagged. The keeper feels he has to do something just in case Hugill or whoever isn’t flagged if he does try to play the ball, so heads the ball from outside his area for a throw-in.

That is quickly taken and a simple cross provides Hugill with just as simple header. Myself, somewhere in there I think there is an injustice, but as BoJo the Charlatan said recently: ‘Them’s the breaks.’

Dear me, I am mortified to discover some posters believe I wasn't at the match and have been indulging in what I believe young people refer to as "trolling";

Obviously I should have introduced myself to the Norwich City fan not far from me in Block D of the East stand, but he had HERNANDEZ on the back of his (not this season's) shirt, and as in the latest of my several negative posts on Onel H. I described him as a "pedestrian" player I thought it perhaps not a wise notion.

I am certainly glad that no other fan in their seventies has my septuagenarian eyesight and has no trouble at all identifying someone on the far side of the pitch when they have no idea who is on the teamsheet and have never seen that individual or some of his colleagues ever play football.

As to the exciting number 14 shirt, he played very much as a triallist would if they were trying to impress a head coach, to the extent of annoying the h*ll out of the long-haired OM player, with whom he had a running niggle.

Perhaps to give my initial report greater verisimilitude I should have mentioned that the sprinklers were kept on right to the end of half-time, so for the first 10 minutes of the second half the ball was getting held up in small puddles.

Anyway, I was going to post a review, full of purple prose, of the Van Morrison concert I attended on Wednesday, but I guess that would also be dismissed as a fake news fantasy...🤓

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

But that’s not a fair stat if half those appearances were for 5 minutes at the end of a game. Goals per minute played are a fair stat. 

Also the problem with stats instead of real Football is that how important are those goals he scores 

6 goals in a season in 6 games which we win 1-0 which are far more important 

than 10 goals in a season  that are scored at end of games that are 3-0 wins

20 hours ago, Diane said:

Are you in  these picture of the fans who were at the game @PurpleCanary

20220716_230834.jpg

20220716_230729.jpg

Diane, those Canary fans were in the South stand and I was in the East stand, but apparently in any event I only imagined I was there...😎

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Unless I'm mistaken I did not say there's anything wrong with crossing 😂

By inference?

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Idah and Hugill in a top two is pretty much just 'cross for a goal'

I have a glorious mental image of Sargent being on the pitch as well, and a winger. Idah, Hugill and Sargent on at the same time. 

Bet Giannoulis and Rachica in particular would be licking their lips at the thought of pinging in cross after cross. Heck, Gibbo would probably think his longer passes might stick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Diane, those Canary fans were in the South stand and I was in the East stand, but apparently in any event I only imagined I was there...😎

I didn't realise being on a windup was stating you were not there. As a rgular reader of the Pinkun virtually daily it must have passed you by that Hayden was requiring an operation having played no part in pre season to date, i mean hardly been mentioned on here has it and that Sara only landed in England from Brazil a couple of days ago.

The trialist at 14 i will assume to be sarcasm which of course you are well versed in and i would have thought the difference between Sorensen and Mccallum would be obvious even without a visit to specsavers.

If not a windup and you were being serious with your observations mentioned you have a lot of brushing up to do before the season commences.

Edited by TIL 1010

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Dear me, I am mortified to discover some posters believe I wasn't at the match and have been indulging in what I believe young people refer to as "trolling";

Obviously I should have introduced myself to the Norwich City fan not far from me in Block D of the East stand, but he had HERNANDEZ on the back of his (not this season's) shirt, and as in the latest of my several negative posts on Onel H. I described him as a "pedestrian" player I thought it perhaps not a wise notion.

I am certainly glad that no other fan in their seventies has my septuagenarian eyesight and has no trouble at all identifying someone on the far side of the pitch when they have no idea who is on the teamsheet and have never seen that individual or some of his colleagues ever play football.

As to the exciting number 14 shirt, he played very much as a triallist would if they were trying to impress a head coach, to the extent of annoying the h*ll out of the long-haired OM player, with whom he had a running niggle.

Perhaps to give my initial report greater verisimilitude I should have mentioned that the sprinklers were kept on right to the end of half-time, so for the first 10 minutes of the second half the ball was getting held up in small puddles.

Anyway, I was going to post a review, full of purple prose, of the Van Morrison concert I attended on Wednesday, but I guess that would also be dismissed as a fake news fantasy...🤓

If you're still in Antibes next week, go to see chilly Gonzales, you will not regret it

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

If you're still in Antibes next week, go to see chilly Gonzales, you will not regret it

Not someone I'd heard of. Sounds very interesting and it seems he is playing just a bit down the coast at Ramatuelle. But on the same night as Lily Wood and the Pr*ck at Vence. Decisions, decisions, but as you may have seen apparently I really need to stay in and swot up on Norwich City and its current squad of footballers.🤓

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

as you may have seen apparently I really need to stay in and swot up on Norwich City and its current squad of footballers.🤓

FB_IMG_1657880944930.jpg

Happy to help and if you need any photos just say.

16 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I'm concerned for society as a whole that you're still getting people biting onto this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

FB_IMG_1657880944930.jpg

Happy to help and if you need any photos just say.

I've seen the sort of photos you post Tilly. 

Not complaining, just wish to be kept in the loop! 😊 😊 

On 17/07/2022 at 18:10, PurpleCanary said:

Nice! I salute your vocabulary.

9 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Nice! I salute your vocabulary.

Loved the song by Teenage Fanclub. How they got it to scan was perfection!

Edited by shefcanary
Added the song, might help!!!
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Loved the song by Teenage Fanclub. How they got it to scan was perfection!

Well, it's hardly supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Or, as the famous headline went when Inverness beat Celtic in a cup tie, Super Caley Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'm concerned for society as a whole that you're still getting people biting onto this.

True, but the funniest thing is the absentees from the responses. Can they really be so dim as to be unsure about it? No don’t anyone answer that.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, crispeduk said:

True, but the funniest thing is the absentees from the responses. Can they really be so dim as to be unsure about it? No don’t anyone answer that.

This is the UK you're on about. Absolutely full of window-licking cretins.