Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*Norwich vs Marseille pre season match thread*

Just now, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

God it's so nice not to have to watch Billy f*cking Gilmour.

The most intelligent post on this thread so far 😊 But for goodness sake, it's a pre season friendly. 

2 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

OK. He's had his fun now. Can we not play Hugil anymore. He's going to start getting aspirations of being an actual footballer.

To be fair, depending on how we shape up on the right hand side, he's probably a bit ahead of Sargent at the moment.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

"slightly poorer opposition"

I know the French divison anit the best but they did finish 2nd

That said, Regensburg were one of the weaker sides in the 2. Bundesliga but they were almost ready to go. Marseille were second in Ligue 1 but were just two games into their pre-season, so better players but not in the same state of training yet.

Can see why this got chosen - would determine how good a team that had done heavy training would cope with classier players who didn't quite have their groove in. As we saw, we needed a couple of big saves from Krul, but we looked dangerous and engaged far higher up the pitch.

It's interesting that under Farke people always questioned where our "plan B" was. Even when we signed players like Hugill. Last season, rather than find a "plan B", Farke tried to change what "plan A" was.

In this game alone, we have seen three different variations of personnel which tweaks how we play slightly, not to mention formation changes.

We just played the team that finished 2nd in Ligue 1 and will be playing European football this coming season, possibly Champions League after the qualifying round, and we just out European'ed them in terms of football. Smith is not the long-ball merchant people have made him out to be, and that game, albeit a pre-season, proves it. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The most intelligent post on this thread so far 😊 But for goodness sake, it's a pre season friendly. 

The fact we can draw 2-2 against a former german 3rd tier side and then win 3-0 against Marseille just about sums up pre season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"slightly poorer opposition"

I know the French divison anit the best but they did finish 2nd

I think most of the EPL would beat them on that showing though. 

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

That said, Regensburg were one of the weaker sides in the 2. Bundesliga but they were almost ready to go. Marseille were second in Ligue 1 but were just two games into their pre-season, so better players but not in the same state of training yet.

Can see why this got chosen - would determine how good a team that had done heavy training would cope with classier players who didn't quite have their groove in. As we saw, we needed a couple of big saves from Krul, but we looked dangerous and engaged far higher up the pitch.

Who have they played in pre-season so far? We've played two local sides as well as Regensburg. The Dereham game hardly feels like Pre-season as we didn't have a number of players and it was before the training camp where the "heavy training" took place. 

Pleased for Hugill, who has had a huge amount of unnecessary stick from a select group of posters on here. He's never really let us down when he has played, when we needed him in our promotion season he delivered and he's always worked hard.

Also, whilst not prolific he's a proven goalscorer at the level we are at. All whilst being a completely different option to our other strikers.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

Who have they played in pre-season so far? We've played two local sides as well as Regensburg. The Dereham game hardly feels like Pre-season as we didn't have a number of players and it was before the training camp where the "heavy training" took place. 

Just played their first pre-season game three days ago against Marignane, a local fourth-tier side, winning 4-1.

Calendrier | OM

In other words, we're further on in our preparations than they are, and have also had more match time. But that's a good opponent to practice a high press on - a side that might not be quite as sharp as they've not done as much training in pre-season/had as many games, but definitely have the class on the ball to hurt if it sticks.

Edited by TheGunnShow

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The fact we can draw 2-2 against a former german 3rd tier side and then win 3-0 against Marseille just about sums up pre season

I like to think it's all about progression. There was a definite step change in our work and attitude today.

It's nothing like Farkeball and we're playing more like Villa used to in the Chump.

OK, a tiny slice of humble pie here from one of the 'Smith-haters'.

That was the first performance under Smith where I could see some kind of coherence or shape to our play. We pressed well, we were more direct, but not Neanderthal. Only one game, of course, but way better than any of the dross we served up last season.

If we are going to have high balls from the wing into the penalty box as Plan B (or even Plan A), Hugill makes a lot more sense than Sargent.

1 minute ago, astro said:

I think most of the EPL would beat them on that showing though. 

Possibly yes, they lost their cool and their focus too much. Couldn't handle the slick passing.

The Ligue 1 is not the same level as the EPL, but then, it is probably a bit better than the championship. Usually the complaint from the continent is that English teams are too physical, but there was only really one team out there trying to play on the deck today.

Hugill's two goals, from a coach's perspective, were very poor defensively. The two CB's far too static.

It is what it is though, Marseille undoubtedly have quality but they were stifled by a high work rate and not matter how they tried, and they did, their passing was off and often intercepted.

Caveat is that we can't read too much into this again, it is pre-season, and whilst we looked good, the only thing that matters is the Championship and we're not there yet. We don't know how many of these players will still be with us come the start of the season or end of the window.

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Possibly yes, they lost their cool and their focus too much. Couldn't handle the slick passing.

The Ligue 1 is not the same level as the EPL, but then, it is probably a bit better than the championship. Usually the complaint from the continent is that English teams are too physical, but there was only really one team out there trying to play on the deck today.

Hugill's two goals, from a coach's perspective, were very poor defensively. The two CB's far too static.

It is what it is though, Marseille undoubtedly have quality but they were stifled by a high work rate and not matter how they tried, and they did, their passing was off and often intercepted.

Caveat is that we can't read too much into this again, it is pre-season, and whilst we looked good, the only thing that matters is the Championship and we're not there yet. We don't know how many of these players will still be with us come the start of the season or end of the window.

Yeah, you’re probably right, best not to get too carried away. But after some of the dross last season, it makes a nice change.

I think Smith has a few headaches as to trimming the squad size though. 

Always remember when we beat Premier League Wigan Athletic in a friendly and a week later got thumped 1-7 by Colchester!   Pre-season is no indicator.    Excellent work out though! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I believe we won every pre-season game when we were relegated to League 1…

It looked like a decent performance but it’s very hard to draw any real conclusions.

Its preseason, so we can’t read much into it, but it’s good to see things coming together - and maybe show some of the Smith doubters that he might not be so bad.  Obviously, it counts for nothing if we don’t perform when it matters.

51 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Pleased for Hugill, who has had a huge amount of unnecessary stick from a select group of posters on here. He's never really let us down when he has played, when we needed him in our promotion season he delivered and he's always worked hard.

Also, whilst not prolific he's a proven goalscorer at the level we are at. All whilst being a completely different option to our other strikers.

i Agree i do not think he is a Great striker but every striker once they get in the Habit of scoring sometimes go on a roll 

will be good if this is Hugill's season to shine as i was not expecting it  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hardly prolific at Championship level was 5 goals in nearly 40 games

30 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Its preseason, so we can’t read much into it, but it’s good to see things coming together - and maybe show some of the Smith doubters that he might not be so bad.  Obviously, it counts for nothing if we don’t perform when it matters.

We can't read too much into it, and highly important to not get carried away but a guaranteed 40 goals for Hugill this season without doubt.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, daly said:

Hardly prolific at Championship level was 5 goals in nearly 40 games

He got 4 in 17 for Cardiff

He got 4 in 7 starts got us

He got 13 in 30 for QPR

He got 6 in 20 for Boro

So, not prolific like I said. But a proven goalscorer at this level, whilst offering a different option and giving us a way of switching the way we play.

• Like 6

Not having a pop but if he hadn’t have scored from those two chances we would have been asking why. 
poor defending .

1 minute ago, Mr Tea said:

Not having a pop but if he hadn’t have scored from those two chances we would have been asking why. 
poor defending .

So he took the chances given to him?    All you can ask imo

• Like 1

Olympique de Marseille versus Norwich City Football Club, at Fos sur Mer. Jewel of la Cote Bleue, with Europe’s largest oil refinery immediately to the east and  a massive seaport/petro-chemical wasteland immediately to the west.

I haven’t read through the thread, so this may be repetitious, and bear in mind the last time I was at a Norwich City match was February 2020, and I have never seen any of last summer’s signing (apart from Angus Gunn) ever play football, let alone any from this summer, so I struggled to identify players. That said…

Neither of this summer’s signings impressed at all. As said, I did have trouble recognizing players, but frankly Hayden and Sara might not have been playing for all the good they did.

However that triallist we had wearing the number 14 shirt I did notice. Very energetic and keen to have the ball. Even on one occasion sprinting back towards Krul (him I DID recognize) calling for the ball. Some obvious rookie flaws as a triallist, trying too much to hold on to the ball when the attack could have been continued with a simple pass, but if no other club is offering him a contract I suggest we do.

It was windy, especially in the first half, and our opening goal (not a clue at the time who it was who scored) was 
a cracking shot and probably would have beaten the keeper without the mistral behind it. Turns out it was Sorensen. I know Sorensen is one of those players who gets better the less the play. I am no judge, but Marseille seemed to find more room in the first half down that flank than down our right. 

I have seen it said that Rashica will do well in the Championship. Based on today, against a Marseille side a bit behind us in terms of pre-season, but then still Marseille, I would say he will. Not least because he seemed to form a give and go understanding with that Number 14 triallist.

I have also seen it said that we needed to bulk up a bit physically. Too many lightweight players. With this being an argument for Sargent and his physicality, despite his technical shortcomings. Fine, but I couldn’t help noticing that even the supposedly physical Sargent was dwarfed by some of the Marseilles players, such as numbers 22, 18, 42, and 13.

The second goal was one of those offside or it is oddities. Hugill (I think it was) looked obviously offside as he chased a lofted pass,  but -  I think-because he didn’t actually attempt to play the ball - he was not flagged. The keeper feels he has to do something just in case Hugill or whoever isn’t flagged if he does try to play the ball, so heads the ball from outside his area for a throw-in.

That is quickly taken and a simple cross provides Hugill with just as simple header. Myself, somewhere in there I think there is an injustice, but as BoJo the Charlatan said recently: ‘Them’s the breaks.’

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Olympique de Marseille versus Norwich City Football Club, at Fos sur Mer. Jewel of la Cote Bleue, with Europe’s largest oil refinery immediately to the east and  a massive seaport/petro-chemical wasteland immediately to the west.

I haven’t read through the thread, so this may be repetitious, and bear in mind the last time I was at a Norwich City match was February 2020, and I have never seen any of last summer’s signing (apart from Angus Gunn) ever play football, let alone any from this summer, so I struggled to identify players. That said…

Neither of this summer’s signings impressed at all. As said, I did have trouble recognizing players, but frankly Hayden and Sara might not have been playing for all the good they did.

However that triallist we had wearing the number 14 shirt I did notice. Very energetic and keen to have the ball. Even on one occasion sprinting back towards Krul (him I DID recognize) calling for the ball. Some obvious rookie flaws as a triallist, trying too much to hold on to the ball when the attack could have been continued with a simple pass, but if no other club is offering him a contract I suggest we do.

It was windy, especially in the first half, and our opening goal (not a clue at the time who it was who scored) was 
a cracking shot and probably would have beaten the keeper without the mistral behind it. Turns out it was Sorensen. I know Sorensen is one of those players who gets better the less the play. I am no judge, but Marseille seemed to find more room in the first half down that flank than down our right. 

I have seen it said that Rashica will do well in the Championship. Based on today, against a Marseille side a bit behind us in terms of pre-season, but then still Marseille, I would say he will. Not least because he seemed to form a give and go understanding with that Number 14 triallist.

I have also seen it said that we needed to bulk up a bit physically. Too many lightweight players. With this being an argument for Sargent and his physicality, despite his technical shortcomings. Fine, but I couldn’t help noticing that even the supposedly physical Sargent was dwarfed by some of the Marseilles players, such as numbers 22, 18, 42, and 13.

The second goal was one of those offside or it is oddities. Hugill (I think it was) looked obviously offside as he chased a lofted pass,  but -  I think-because he didn’t actually attempt to play the ball - he was not flagged. The keeper feels he has to do something just in case Hugill or whoever isn’t flagged if he does try to play the ball, so heads the ball from outside his area for a throw-in.

That is quickly taken and a simple cross provides Hugill with just as simple header. Myself, somewhere in there I think there is an injustice, but as BoJo the Charlatan said recently: ‘Them’s the breaks.’

"frankly Hayden and Sara might not have been playing for all the good they did"

I pray this is a joke

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He got 4 in 17 for Cardiff

He got 4 in 7 starts got us

He got 13 in 30 for QPR

He got 6 in 20 for Boro

So, not prolific like I said. But a proven goalscorer at this level, whilst offering a different option and giving us a way of switching the way we play.

so 27 in 74 starts (goal every 2.7 games) - that is prolific surely? (i thought a goal every 3 games was the benchmark for a good striker?)