cambridgeshire canary

Times are so tough we're charging for a friendly

If you don't want to pay don't watch it, it's not difficult.

Those who begrudge paying a penny into club funds are normally the first to moan if we don't sign any players.

• Like 1

Tbh I couldn’t really care less about watching a preseason friendly that I can’t get to, whether it is free or not - I have far better things to be doing and will be out and about enjoying some of the summer.
Of course people can decide whether to pay and watch, or not, but that’s not really the point and it is disingenuous for people to deliberately miss it. 

Edit: after the season we just had where 27000 of us turned out week after week to watch utter garbage, at huge cost, it would really not be too much to give something back. Would it?  

Edited by Branston Pickle

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

🤷‍♂️  If you don't think it's worth it don't pay for it? What's the issue?

(Except for the entitled baby boomers amongst you who think that they should get everything they want without having to pay for it.)

Can you please point to where the entitled boomers are in this thread?

41 minutes ago, Badger said:

🤷‍♂️  If you don't think it's worth it don't pay for it? What's the issue?

No issue, but I'll be watching it for £0. 

If it were a fiver I'd be more inclined to generate a couple of quid for the club. 

At £10 I feel a bit exploited. I'm not short of a few bob but we're in a cost of living crisis, with a recession coming. As much as I appreciate that the club also has rising costs, it does irk that they attempt to squeeze every last bit of cash that they can out of every situation. 

It just feels like we are run by football manager players (when a lower league team, playing 4 or 5 big teams in preseason is a nice trick for balancing the books).

This does feel like an opportunity to give something back, could have just been free for members and ST holders perhaps? Odd little gesture doesn't go amiss, especially when these people are renewing after a dreadful season.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Villa v Leeds friendly on Villa TV, £5.99!

or full tour - Leeds, Brisbane Roar and Man Utd for £17.99.   
It’s a friendly, we’re a Champs team and after the offerings of last season, that’s well overpriced!

It's basic economics, how much do you think Netflix would need to charge per month if only Norwich supporters watched it?

United, Leeds, Villa - all have far bigger followings and therefore a wider net can be cast at a cheaper fee.  People have to be paid and the service needs to make money to exist.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

No issue, but I'll be watching it for £0. 

If it were a fiver I'd be more inclined to generate a couple of quid for the club. 

At £10 I feel a bit exploited. I'm not short of a few bob but we're in a cost of living crisis, with a recession coming. As much as I appreciate that the club also has rising costs, it does irk that they attempt to squeeze every last bit of cash that they can out of every situation. 

I suggest you re-read your posts about the season ticket price increases in the light of your comment above. 

You seem to have changed your stance massively. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It's basic economics, how much do you think Netflix would need to charge per month if only Norwich supporters watched it?

United, Leeds, Villa - all have far bigger followings and therefore a wider net can be cast at a cheaper fee.  People have to be paid and the service needs to make money to exist.

But simple economics suggests unless enough people pay the £10 to pay for the cost, whilst pissing off a lot of people who may now be turned off other cash generating initiatives of the club, the club has lost out and probably made things worse.  Whilst a good marketing dept. would have identified the "market" would be better satisfied with either a lower price or even free, where some other incentive to sign up for a later cash generating event was part of the consideration and thus maintained a dialogue with that audience. I'm watching from afar a very schizophrenic marketing team at the Carra' that seems to love the detail of affinity causes or expensive kit launches (where people will buy the kit come what may with a minor tease campaign) but **** it up nearly every time on pretty basic fan engagement activity.  That team really need a good kick up the **** and re-focus! 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

So on that basis Ipswich or Crewe would have to charge £15!    The set up cost is the same, if Norwich charged £3 or £5, they might get 4 or 5 times the number of viewers so could make more money in any event.    £10 in my view is expensive, not savvy on the clubs part and not worth the money.        Your argument about Villa having more fans is noted but then you have to add that they have a better team than us so the product is likely better quality too.   

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Can you please point to where the entitled boomers are in this thread?

🤷‍♂️ I don't know - are there any? It was the only group of people who I could think of that always wants something for nothing (without bringing politics into it 😉).

Edited by Badger
Corrected spelling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

🤷‍♂️ I don't know - are their any? It was the only group of people who I could think of that always wants something for nothing (without bringing politics into it 😉).

We boomers aren't all like that Badger, some of us realise we are the luckiest generation to have lived in the UK, and really should be doing more to help out Generations X, Y, Z and millennials make sense of the world. 😉 

Edited by shefcanary

40 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

We boomers aren't all like that Badger, some of us realise we are the luckiest generation to have lived in the UK, and really should be doing more to help out Generations X, Y, Z and millennials make sense of the world. 😉 

Not sure if we've got much to teach them!

How to sell all your assets and still manage to massively increase your debt? How to use natural resources at unsustainable levels in the knowledge that it is likely to damage the planet you live on? Etc. 

Perhaps the best advice we can give is don't listen to us as we have been totally clueless as a generation!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will pay my admission fee to watch King's Lynn v MK Dons instead. Support the small clubs. They need the money much more.

Interested to note who appears to be with me on this one especially wcorkcanary. 

The King Canary verdict is right.

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

So on that basis Ipswich or Crewe would have to charge £15!    The set up cost is the same, if Norwich charged £3 or £5, they might get 4 or 5 times the number of viewers so could make more money in any event.

Oh I agree, but when comparing it to larger clubs they already know their market and can price to suit.  Plus they can easily afford to take a loss if things don't at least break even.

We seek to make money on anything and everything.  I've not a clue how much this service costs, or how many paying customers there will be.

At that price I think they'd be lucky to get 1,000 viewers?  But even then, that's £10k coming in.  Surely can't cost any more than £3-4k to stream an 90 minute event and pay someone to commentate over it? 

Maybe there's a shed load more costs when it comes to people getting a cut on the admin side of things? The clubs share, the payment processor's share.  My only point was more that the larger clubs have a wider net really.

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I'm watching from afar a very schizophrenic marketing team at the Carra' that seems to love the detail of affinity causes or expensive kit launches (where people will buy the kit come what may with a minor tease campaign) but **** it up nearly every time on pretty basic fan engagement activity.  That team really need a good kick up the **** and re-focus! 

Club lost it's way with McNally, since those days I've only ever felt a 'customer' going to Carrow Road I'm afraid.  It's just typical of modern business sadly, we're a "club" by name only as far as I'm concerned.  You only have to look at the same old bunch of fans who the club engage with, it's like a select committee.

3 hours ago, Greavsy said:

I suggest you re-read your posts about the season ticket price increases in the light of your comment above. 

You seem to have changed your stance massively. 

Just one of many people on this thread whose logic is a little hard to understand. Best to leave out words like 'hypocrit' though as there maybe method in their madness. 

For example Badger who regards away member fees as a 'tax' seems to regard this as a 'charge'. Not sure that he is right but there is a difference as a "charge' is recovery of payment to a third party eg. postage costs whereas a 'tax' is not. Query staff time which is open to interpretation.

Seems like the French revolution has arrived in Norwich.

Edited by essex canary

11 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

It’s £10, the weather is nice, invite some friends round and chip in a couple of quid each! 🤷🏻‍♂️

What time would like me round Dunc? 

I might bring a few beers and something for the BBQ. 

👍 🍻 

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Club lost it's way with McNally, since those days I've only ever felt a 'customer' going to Carrow Road I'm afraid.  It's just typical of modern business sadly, we're a "club" by name only as far as I'm concerned.  You only have to look at the same old bunch of fans who the club engage with, it's like a select committee.

I think the customer point is a fair reflection of how it feels at times.

The club talks the talk about how important fans are but will happily find different ways to try and part them from their money.

I think it was @shefcanary who posted not long ago about how in business it isn't a great idea to try and rinse your loyalest customers in this manner- eventually they'll just feel taken advantage of. To me, the potential extra revenue from this (maybe £10-20k, so an absolute drop in the ocean for a club like ours) isn't worth the negative sentiment it generates amongst the fan base.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, king canary said:

The club talks the talk about how important fans are but will happily find different ways to try and part them from their money.

I think it was @shefcanary who posted not long ago about how in business it isn't a great idea to try and rinse your loyalest customers in this manner- eventually they'll just feel taken advantage of. To me, the potential extra revenue from this (maybe £10-20k, so an absolute drop in the ocean for a club like ours) isn't worth the negative sentiment it generates amongst the fan base.

The club doesnt have any obligation to provide it. No fan, other than those with tickets has the right to see a match, let alone for free. 

The club won't win whatever they do. 

KL match was streamed free and people commented on the lack of camera angles / zoom etc, the quality of the commentary, no half time punditry, not advertising it before the match and the like. FOR A FREE COVERAGE. 

If they charge, it's too much. 

Then people moan when we don't spend any money. 

Entitled - Ill say it again. 

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

It’s £10, the weather is nice, invite some friends round and chip in a couple of quid each! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Don't forget the whip round for mountain climbing equipment.

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Invite friends to watch a stream of a pre-season friendly with Cambridge, and then ask them for £2? 

It's not Joshua versus Usyk and I reckon I'd soon lose friends if I stood at the door charging them £2 to get in. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Invite friends to watch a stream of a pre-season friendly with Cambridge, and then ask them for £2? 

It's not Joshua versus Usyk and I reckon I'd soon lose friends if I stood at the door charging them £2 to get in. 

🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Or don’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You’re not short of a few quid, maybe pay the tenner because you can afford it and invite some friends round so they can watch it for free. Or maybe you suspect that £10 might be a stretch at the moment for some of your friends and put it on for them and leave it up to them if they want to contribute; they might feel they want to pay a share so they aren’t “embarrassed” by being hard up. Nobody was suggesting you stand on the door with a cash register. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah, this. 

My first instinct when I saw it was that it was over the top for a stream of a friendly, and it is when you think about it. 

Last year it was £10 for a ticket to the Gillingham friendly, and with Marseille being a bigger name, you'd probably expect £15, maybe? 

Also, during lockdown, Championship streams on iFollow were £10, with BT Sport getting criticised heavily for charging £14.95 for a Premier League stream. 

So all-in-all, £10 for a stream of a preseason friendly is excessive, and this pricing looks like a bit of a PR own goal, to be honest. They would no doubt have received more buys at a fiver and I don't think anywhere near as many people would've complained about the price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Hang on, are the club going to be streaming Championship matches for people to purchase? I missed this.

Yup, they're not going with EFL/iFollow for media.  Doing their own thing with a company called InCrowd, or something like that.

Theres a flip side.

How about they just didn't bother with the effort of making a pointless friendly streamable? 

No one would be complaining about price although a couple would bemoan lack of stream.

Or, they could put the effort into the stream and those who want to pay and watch it can do? It's basically offering an extra optional service to fans during pre season for a fee. 

For those who feel like customers then it's probably worth noting football clubs are a business. Even the billionaire owned ones. It's all about making money.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

For those who feel like customers then it's probably worth noting football clubs are a business. Even the billionaire owned ones. It's all about making money.

Perhaps someone should give these clubs in the red a call then?  It's not the clubs making money, I can assure you of that.

26 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Yup, they're not going with EFL/iFollow for media.  Doing their own thing with a company called InCrowd, or something like that.

Well I hope the Kings Lynn game wasn't a taste of things to come.

I haven't been keeping close  to the detail on this, will it be possible to watch home games via 'InCrowd', or away games only?

32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Theres a flip side.

How about they just didn't bother with the effort of making a pointless friendly streamable? 

No one would be complaining about price although a couple would bemoan lack of stream.

Or, they could put the effort into the stream and those who want to pay and watch it can do? It's basically offering an extra optional service to fans during pre season for a fee. 

Blimey Hoggy. 

Nail - head

This is becoming too regular.