Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

What would you do if I offered you...

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Mumba out on loan to Plymouth
Aarons out to Prem 

Brandon Williams back on a loan, making it permanent in the event we're promoted. 

Any thoughts?

Looks like the first option is going to happen anyway.

I'd rather keep Aarons, but if the right offer comes in and we have to sell him, I'd take Williams back for sure.

• Like 3

I'd take Williams back on the caveat that his wages don't ping our wage structure, and also if he'd play right-back instead of left for as long as Giannoulis is there. However, did the incident he was involved in not burn a few bridges?

Unless we're going to ready Lungi for a go there?

Williams has barely ever played at right back, he may be right footed but he's an inverted left back and we've seen practically no evidence whatsoever that he can be consistently even passable as a right back. If he was a right back then he'd have been signed by somebody as a right back.

So no, I don't want a left back to replace Max Aarons, any other stupid questions?

1146392233_brandonwilliams.PNG.563ae120d43ebb3afea496b35de2feee.PNG

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

Be very disappointed. Was hoping you'd bought me a Lego Star Destroyer and 2 crates of beer (It's a big set!) . I live In hope..

52 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd take Williams back on the caveat that his wages don't ping our wage structure, and also if he'd play right-back instead of left for as long as Giannoulis is there. However, did the incident he was involved in not burn a few bridges?

Unless we're going to ready Lungi for a go there?

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Williams has barely ever played at right back, he may be right footed but he's an inverted left back and we've seen practically no evidence whatsoever that he can be consistently even passable as a right back. If he was a right back then he'd have been signed by somebody as a right back.

So no, I don't want a left back to replace Max Aarons, any other stupid questions?

This and this. 

He hasn't played much at right back in his career, he's on £60k, and the Instagram story was bloody stupid. 

I'd rather take my chances with someone else.

The thoughts of the Pinkun reporters are that we already have a right back lined up should Aarons go. I very much doubt it is Williams.

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Aarons out to Prem 

Brandon Williams back on a loan, making it permanent in the event we're promoted. 

Any thoughts?

A lot of thoughts, all negative 

33 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sam Byram barely ever played at left back. Or centre back. Doesn't seem to stop us.

19 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Sam Byram barely ever played at left back. Or centre back. Doesn't seem to stop us.

We conceded 12 goals in four-and-a-bit matches with Byram at centre back, so hopefully that stops us. He's a good player, but I certainly don't fancy him as a centre back. 

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We conceded 12 goals in four-and-a-bit matches with Byram at centre back, so hopefully that stops us. He's a good player, but I certainly don't fancy him as a centre back. 

Spectacularly missing the point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We conceded 12 goals in four-and-a-bit matches with Byram at centre back, so hopefully that stops us.

That was kinda the point lol.

Although that said, we conceded 2.2 goals per match on average last season, and Byram was only on the field for 9 of those goals in the 4.5 matches played at CB.  Meaning that we conceded less goals than average with him at CB.  🤓

• Like 1

Was hoping Mumba would get a champs loan instead of League 1 but not to be.

Yes I would definitely take Williams back. He was a player that always gave his all and was fairly consistent. Was probably our 3rd best player of the season last year (granted it wasn't hard) but I would be pretty sure he would be a great signing in the champs. I actually believe he should be playing RB and that would improve his attacking stats as well.

IMO Williams is overrated because he visibly gives his all and shows his passion and fans love that kind of player. But if there is that kind of money swilling around, I think we can spend it better elsewhere, especially since we have Giannoulis, who has very different strengths and weaknesses from Williams but is generally around the same level.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This and this. 

He hasn't played much at right back in his career, he's on £60k, and the Instagram story was bloody stupid. 

I'd rather take my chances with someone else.

Fair point, but we hadn't signed Lungi as a left-back and he still played more games there in our last Championship-winning season than anyone else in that position as Quintilla had his hip issues and Giannoulis only came in the January window. Or indeed we have form with Byram switching around the full-back positions to some effect.

I'd be most concerned about wages, as you said with the £60K.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

IMO Williams is overrated because he visibly gives his all and shows his passion and fans love that kind of player. But if there is that kind of money swilling around, I think we can spend it better elsewhere, especially since we have Giannoulis, who has very different strengths and weaknesses from Williams but is generally around the same level.

Agree. Williams is like Pinto in that sense. Ivo would run down the wing, find a dead end, lose the ball and then bang his chest in a fit of passion! Likeable bloke but not a great player 

Edited by SwearyCanary

7 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Spectacularly missing the point. 

Fair enough, I read your post as 'players are versatile enough to cover other positions', as opposed to 'round pegs don't fit in square holes'.

In that case, I agree.

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

That was kinda the point lol.

Although that said, we conceded 2.2 goals per match on average last season, and Byram was only on the field for 9 of those goals in the 4.5 matches played at CB.  Meaning that we conceded less goals than average with him at CB.  🤓

We conceded 12 goals in 396 minutes (excluding stoppage time) with Byram at centre back, which works out at 2.73 per 90.

Assuming Transfermarkt's data is correct- I'm trying not to remember the specifics of last season's run in...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Aarons out to Prem 

Any thoughts?

Mumba - with an option for Plymouth to buy I hope

Aarons - for a good fee, would be good

Williams - no thanks, not really that good, flatters to deceive

8 hours ago, HB1989 said:

Was hoping Mumba would get a champs loan instead of League 1 but not to be.

Yes I would definitely take Williams back. He was a player that always gave his all and was fairly consistent. Was probably our 3rd best player of the season last year (granted it wasn't hard) but I would be pretty sure he would be a great signing in the champs. I actually believe he should be playing RB and that would improve his attacking stats as well.

Wasnt good enough to regularly start for Peterborough so was never going to get a champ move.

He needs a full season in league one playing week in and week out at RB.

9 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Wasnt good enough to regularly start for Peterborough so was never going to get a champ move.

He needs a full season in league one playing week in and week out at RB.

He was good enough. It was the new Peterborough manager not wanting to play loan players as he wanted to start players that were going to be there next season.

3 minutes ago, HB1989 said:

He was good enough. It was the new Peterborough manager not wanting to play loan players as he wanted to start players that were going to be there next season.

Well I'm sure if there was a championship side come in for him who was going to play him week in week out we would've let him go there.

He played 5x 90 mins under Ferguson but only managed 80 mins in Fergusons last 3 games.

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

Well I'm sure if there was a championship side come in for him who was going to play him week in week out we would've let him go there.

He played 5x 90 mins under Ferguson but only managed 80 mins in Fergusons last 3 games.

On second thoughts Plymouth wouldn't be a bad League 1 club to go to as they will be pushing for play offs. It will benefit us if he goes to play for Plymouth and then comes back to us in the championship as we will be expecting to dominate more often than not just like Plymouth. But if we are in the prem and he's coming back and going into the team/squad, just hope he gets tested enough defensively to improve.

14 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

We largely use him in those positions as a fill in or a stop gap though. Signing a player who has almost exclusively played left back as our first choice right back would be an odd choice for me.