Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Decent away days

On 04/06/2022 at 12:12, corbs said:

My topical tip is train to Jewellery Quarter from central brum, a few super pubs, and a few stops from Hawthorns. 

You lazy ****! It’s about a 15 minute walk with plenty to see on the way. 😉

43 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I've had a brain wave.

Anyone been to Blackburn? 

First time I went there we lost 7:1, and I had to endure Club Cabbage there and back.  I don’t have fond memories of that day.

2 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

First time I went there we lost 7:1, and I had to endure Club Cabbage there and back.  I don’t have fond memories of that day.

This one?

47 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

This one?

Yep, that’s the one. I was on the terraces behind the goal.  Gallows humour set in after they got to 6.

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

You lazy ****! It’s about a 15 minute walk with plenty to see on the way. 😉

Currently staying in the jewellery quarter with work, chicken and hen pub with Indian food is well worth a visit 

Watford is a hell hole for whoever questioned that 

Luton won’t move to power court for another 3 years at least 

3 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Come to sunny Brizzle!

I’m not sure I enjoyed many matches more than Bristol Rovers when we were in League 1. It was a lovely sunny day then too. 

9 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Come to sunny Brizzle!

I’ve done Bristol City away a few years ago when my youngest son was at Bristol Uni. If you’ve never been , Bristol is an absolutely bloody marvellous city to visit. Make a weekend of it is my advice . We’ll go back this season.

It was also a great base to do Swansea away - we went when we won 4-1 away in Nov 18 in THAT FARKE Season . Christ you really feel you’ve put the effort in for that one. 
Train back to Bristol had Swansea fans shaking our hands saying “You were way too good for us today “ . 

• Like 1

Lived in Montpelier (Bristol) for a year, Bristol a great place, radicalism inbuilt, but a distinct north south divide. Football wise my manor was Rovers, the minnows of the City, and City obviously played in the South. Sadly Rovers has relocated to Bath so I missed the famous dog track in Eastville. You cannot go wrong in Bristol but for me the Montpelier , St Paul’s area was special, no apologies for bringing politics into this, the Tory vote in my ward was literally in single figures, almost certainly Mrs Saxby, my landlady, and her family, oddly likeable people. 

• Like 1

Being an exiled ST holder living in Bath, I would agree with both Corbs ( I lived near the Mem) and Pockthorpe, Bristol away is great place for a weekend. If you don't mind a cultural eye opener Cardiff away and a Saturday night in Cardiff is something to experience, be wary if it coincides with Welsh Rugby home game.

On 14/06/2022 at 13:01, Naturalcynic said:

Yep, that’s the one. I was on the terraces behind the goal.  Gallows humour set in after they got to 6.

Might have been 7 - 1 but we still played better in that game than we did in most games last season

On 03/06/2022 at 11:50, Ken Hairy said:

QPR is my favourite away day, but you've already mentioned them, to be honest any London away day is decent due to ease of travel and always taking good numbers. 

Up north Bolton is a good trip, stadium easy to get to but still within decent distance of pubs etc. 

Agree with the above comment regarding Coventry, easy access from M6 but soulless and not much for away fans, similar to Reading (apart from M6 bit 😁

Friendly warning re. Bolton, one of the main pubs quite near the stadium, the Barnstormers, has closed at the time of typing this. Used to be the race HQ of the Lostock 6 road race, but in the end it was a marquee in a nearby car park instead. I'd stay away from drinking in Bolton town centre as well - pretty rough.

Bump Bump. Now the fixtures are out and Match picks are in play how we feeling? Me...The price of trains

First aways are QPR Cup, Southampton, Huddersfield, Rotherham, Plymouth, Coventry, Sunderland.

Sunderland and Sheffield are the only ones I'm not working at the moment so those two for me. Will go up for a few days before. Sheffield's a decent place with a lot to see and do. Sunderland I don't know much about. I may well end up staying in Newcastle or at least going there for a day too whole I'm up there.

As I don't get a chance to go to many away games I like to combine them with a few days holiday so it doesn't matter if the games ****.

Randomly I'm also going to Ipswich v Leicester. If my Leicester supporting mate can get us tickets.

On 14/06/2022 at 16:40, Yobocop said:

Currently staying in the jewellery quarter with work, chicken and hen pub with Indian food is well worth a visit 

Watford is a hell hole for whoever questioned that 

Luton won’t move to power court for another 3 years at least 

I’ve never been to Watford though Ms Danke Bitte is from there - she refuses to take me… is it really that bad?!

2 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

I’ve never been to Watford though Ms Danke Bitte is from there - she refuses to take me… is it really that bad?!

Heh, Miss TGS isn't interested in football but has said she'd like to watch a game if I'm there to explain it. Bearing in mind she's in Jena, I might end up making a Carl Zeiss Jena/Norwich fan out of her yet.

• Haha 1

You know when I think about it. Is there a decent pub for away fans close to the stadium is all I'm interested in. Plus cheap to get to. 

2 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

You know when I think about it. Is there a decent pub for away fans close to the stadium is all I'm interested in. Plus cheap to get to. 

I guess that’s why Norwich is a top away day for other clubs fans. Leicester supporters are really disappointed it’s a midweek fixture at Carrow Road this coming season. 

On 03/06/2022 at 16:26, benchwarmer said:

We played Sunderland in their second home game at the Stadium of Light back in 1997 and beat them 1-0 (Daryl Sutch scored - yes, really!).

There were six of us and we stayed overnight in a b&b in Newcastle, which was famous for its nightlife in those days.  We were very popular with Toon fans, having just beaten their Scum.  I dropped out a bit early around midnight, went back to the b&b and turned on the TV to find wall to wall coverage of the death of Princess Diana in Paris.  One of those moments you never forget.  I even remember that I was wearing black and white check pyjamas with a red trim.  A couple of our group stayed out all night and turned up at breakfast for their full English in a shocking state.  

Remember it well. And the following week we won at man city for the first time ever 

On 14/06/2022 at 09:18, Naturalcynic said:

Me too, haven't been since lol

On 24/06/2023 at 10:36, Danke bitte said:

It’s not horrific but mrs danke bitte is probably better off where she is 

mrs Yobocop is from Enfield, now that really is horrific lol 

Do Sunderland but stay in Newcastle, which is a great night out. Really easy to get the metro from Newcastle to Sunderland.