Sign in to follow this  
king canary

2023 Free Agents

Had a quick look at transfermarkt earlier and I can see some interesting names with just one year left on their deals apparently.

Pukki we all know about and I imagine he'll be gone after this upcoming season. However McLean, Zimmerman, Byram and Dowell all also have deals the expire in 2023. It will be interesting to see if they get renewed soon as otherwise you'd think the club might be looking to sell them now in order to get a fee.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Had a quick look at transfermarkt earlier and I can see some interesting names with just one year left on their deals apparently.

Pukki we all know about and I imagine he'll be gone after this upcoming season. However McLean, Zimmerman, Byram and Dowell all also have deals the expire in 2023. It will be interesting to see if they get renewed soon as otherwise you'd think the club might be looking to sell them now in order to get a fee.

Paddy Davitt says there's some new deals to be announced imminently, Dowell will probably be one of those.

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

Paddy Davitt says there's some new deals to be announced imminently, Dowell will probably be one of those.

Interesting. Dowell seems the most obvious one at this point. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I believe Zimmermann has a club option to extend until 2024 – although as has been said elsewhere on this thread, I'd be surprised if he's still here next summer, let alone the one after that.

Obviously Cantwell is also out of contract next summer, as is Josh Martin who showed some initial promise but doesn't seem to have kicked on in his loan spells this season.

• Like 1

I presume McLean will get a new deal for life stating that he must start every game in the contract?

Byram will no doubt get a new contract given he is "future captain material" according to the big man.

Martin, Cantwell, Hernandez, Sinani and Soto also only have one year left. Think we will ditch Soto this summer, and probably sell Hernandez

5 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Martin, Cantwell, Hernandez, Sinani and Soto also only have one year left. Think we will ditch Soto this summer, and probably sell Hernandez

When you have the emergence of Rowe and Sprigett where does that leave Hernandez, Martin, Placheta and even Rashica?

50 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

When you have the emergence of Rowe and Sprigett where does that leave Hernandez, Martin, Placheta and even Rashica?

Hernandez - One year left, and as it stands I don’t think he’s needed anymore. Would sell him as we could probably get a few million for him

Martin - One year left. Was sent to MK Dons with option to buy. Think he may be offered a new contract as from what Smith’s said about him recently I think he might be in his plans for next season. If not, sell him whilst we still can

Placheta - Two years left. Although last summer I still had belief he could come through, I can’t see that happening now. Either sell him or send him out on loan with option to buy

Rashica - If he’s willing to stay, I would keep him

With so many wingers in the squad at the moment I think we will try to get rid of some this summer. I think what happens to some of them may depend on what happens to Rashica and Cantwell this summer

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

The youngsters are the big question mark really.

Lets say Smith thinks Martin, Gibbs, Clarke, McCallum, Springett, Rowe and Tomkinson are all players he's comfortable with having a role in the first team squad. Then you can likely let Placheta, Hernandez, Zimmerman and Cantwell go without much of a worry about replacing them. 

• Like 1

Too many what-ifs? For me at the moment to make reasoned predictions for the squad. Easier to say who will be here for sure next season.

Gunn, Byram, Omobamibele, Pukki, Idah.

I'm not sure there is enough to say, yet, that any of the others will certainly be here. Contracted or otherwise beyond next summer. At least, I wouldn't be shocked, at this point, if we were told any of the others were leaving for one reason or another. Though I include on loan as part of that and mean, just not here to be part of the squad next season, on loan or permanently. 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

The youngsters are the big question mark really.

Lets say Smith thinks Martin, Gibbs, Clarke, McCallum, Springett, Rowe and Tomkinson are all players he's comfortable with having a role in the first team squad. Then you can likely let Placheta, Hernandez, Zimmerman and Cantwell go without much of a worry about replacing them. 

would be nice to get some long term 1st teamers out of that list Rowe and Springett look the pick out of the bunch so far 

37 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

would be nice to get some long term 1st teamers out of that list Rowe and Springett look the pick out of the bunch so far 

I think the plus is that Martin, McCallum and Clarke all have first team experience at Championship or League One level so they aren't untested at this point. I don't think they all end up starters but I think they can be squad players at least.

5 hours ago, chicken said:

Too many what-ifs? For me at the moment to make reasoned predictions for the squad. Easier to say who will be here for sure next season.

Gunn, Byram, Omobamibele, Pukki, Idah.

I'm not sure there is enough to say, yet, that any of the others will certainly be here. Contracted or otherwise beyond next summer. At least, I wouldn't be shocked, at this point, if we were told any of the others were leaving for one reason or another. Though I include on loan as part of that and mean, just not here to be part of the squad next season, on loan or permanently. 

Gunn - I think he'll do a good job for the next few years.

Byram - I like him but there's always a nagging fear he'll get crocked again.

Omobamidele - Is anyone else getting concerned about his ongoing injury status? What's going on?

Pukki - We should count ourselves lucky to have got his best years out of him. His legendary status is confirmed but he'll be 33 in 12 months time.

Idah - Seems to get injured any time he threatens to claim a starting jersey. Is it misfortune or is their some physical issue? A shame because he looks like he could be a great player if he could find some momentum.

10 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Omobamidele - Is anyone else getting concerned about his ongoing injury status? What's going on?

I am.  It would be just our luck to find a really good prospect at CB only for their career to be cut short by a chronic back condition.  Let's hope it is just the final growing pains as his body adjusts to his mature muscular physique. 

At least the good news from the club is he has returned to do some light running and will be back training properly the first week in July.

On 24/05/2022 at 14:06, HazzaJet said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we got to the end of August being stuck with a petulant Cantwell and his cryptic tweets and the club just thinks "f*ck this, enjoy playing for Barry Fry" and pays up the final year of his contract. 

What about omotoye coming back?? I think it hasn't been a success on loan but he's very young. Thrust in last year and had a lot of good reviews at u23s. 

Worth a look, and with idah being injury scare could be nice to have around. Send the other promising youngest, Dickson peters out for loan. 

Hugill lf staying, is useful. I think he and hanandez couls suit Smith's and shakeys style. Plaxhetta maybe worth another role of the dice in champ.

Get cantwell playing and that would be great, try Martin in a playmaker role too. Do well is also got to be a must. 

We have fameo and rocky bushihi coming back, worth a punt in the sqaud. I fear letting them go, like Soto would maybe be a year early. I feel like we made that mistake with ebou Adams, just joined Cardiff , and even with toffolo

18 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Gunn - I think he'll do a good job for the next few years.

Byram - I like him but there's always a nagging fear he'll get crocked again.

Pukki - We should count ourselves lucky to have got his best years out of him. His legendary status is confirmed but he'll be 33 in 12 months time.

Idah - Seems to get injured any time he threatens to claim a starting jersey. Is it misfortune or is their some physical issue? A shame because he looks like he could be a great player if he could find some momentum.

It wasn't a comment about whether they are good/reliable or not, but more about who we could say with some confidence will be with us next season, in terms of most probable/likely.

What I’m also interested in is what happens to the likes of Sargent?

Remember the season we signed RVW and then we went down only for him to be bundled off on loan somewhere as he wasn’t fancied anymore?

I just wonder if that’ll happen to Josh?

I appreciate Pukki needs support but Idah has had his fair share of injuries, I always feel like “this is his breakout season” and then he’s injured. 

That leaves Hugill who we know isn’t going to get double figures save for a miracle. 

Then there’s Sarg. 

On paper that does not fill me with a lot of confidence should Pukki get injured unless the plan is for goals to come from midfield?

So if we look at getting another forward in that’s a bloated roster unless we’re looking to move on Hugill and Sargent? 

We do have a bloated roster, stifling opportunity, making selection difficult, despite the threat of injury.  I would be disappointed if there wasn't a large turnover this summer - at least 10 out, 5 in, that sort of ballpark.  There seem to be enough academy players coming through to bolster the bench.  All the more importance for a fully engaged DoF to be on board.

21 hours ago, shefcanary said:

We do have a bloated roster, stifling opportunity, making selection difficult, despite the threat of injury.  I would be disappointed if there wasn't a large turnover this summer - at least 10 out, 5 in, that sort of ballpark.  There seem to be enough academy players coming through to bolster the bench.  All the more importance for a fully engaged DoF to be on board.

I think you will be disappointed this summer. It will be more evolution than revolution in the transfer market this year.

On 24/05/2022 at 11:21, Move Klose said:

One better be Pukki