Move Klose

Michael Bailey Athletic Article

Missed out on a few players over the summer.

Jeremiah St Juste Dutch International CB, negotiations dragged on and Mainz ended up wanting €20m. Same as Bournaw who ended up at Wolfsburg instead.

Saliba on loan from Arsenal scuppered by wage demands.

Got Kabak late in the window because he was waiting for a better offer.

Gary Cahill didn't want a relegation fight.

Ajer, we only wanted to pay £10m and felt we could get him on a pre-contract in January.

Union Berlin’s Robert Andrich who ended up at Leverkusen wanted £60k a week.

We only got Normann because his move to Zenit fell through.

Tried to get Eriksen in jan but wage demands and desire to play In London ended that.

3 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Tried to get Eriksen in January, yep of course we did😀alongside trying to talk Beckham out of retirement. Absolute 🐎 shi@e.

Bailey is usually very much on the money when it comes to all things NCFC. He certainly won't have just made it up.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

If we promote next season I wonder if we might go for 3 expensive players and not 10 less so.

It’s definitely what we should be doing, and could have done more of this summer IMO.

4 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

If we promote next season I wonder if we might go for 3 expensive players and not 10 less so.

Get promoted 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I like how Bailey is regarded by posters as well-informed and accurate, except when...

And to add, it is our inability to pay high wages that is bound to scupper some otherwise ideal deals. Bailey's list and the reasons for those failures look perfectly believable.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Tried to get Eriksen in January, yep of course we did😀alongside trying to talk Beckham out of retirement. Absolute 🐎 shi@e.

Well tbf the article said we put in a call to his agent. 

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I like how Bailey is regarded by posters as well-informed and accurate, except when...

And to add, it is our inability to pay high wages that is bound to scupper some otherwise ideal deals. Bailey's list and the reasons for those failures look perfectly believable.

Inability or unwillingness purple? 

I understand the desire to live with in our means as a club but a self imposed wage cap seems to  be really scuppering us.

I doubt our overall wage bill is significantly smaller than Brentford or Watford.

• Like 1

Just now, Monty13 said:

I understand the desire to live with in our means as a club but a self imposed wage cap seems to  be really scuppering us.

I doubt our overall wage bill is significantly smaller than Brentford or Watford.

Not being able to pay the going rate in wages is what costs us. 

Andrich was the guy we wanted to replace Skipp but couldn't pay the £60k a week.

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

Well tbf the article said we put in a call to his agent. 

Webber away on other business…January call from the ‘recruitment team’ ..does  CE want to sign for NCFC ? No, ok thanks , have a nice day.

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

Andrich was the guy we wanted to replace Skipp but *wouldn't* pay the £60k a week.

Fixed it for you 

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

It is an inability, Monty. A big one-off transfer fee can be accommodated within the model's finances, but a big wage deal is not, as it were, just for Christmas but for years, and is likely to have a knock-on effect within the squad.

5 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Andrich was the guy we wanted to replace Skipp but couldn't pay the £60k a week.

Again couldn’t or wouldn’t? 

If better players get more money I think that’s something the rest of the squad needs to accept.

A few stars on big money compared to others is the norm at pretty much all clubs, signing one or two less players to pay the extra for the quality we need is something we need to look at IMO.

38 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is an inability, Monty. A big one-off transfer fee can be accommodated within the model's finances, but a big wage deal is not, as it were, just for Christmas but for years, and is likely to have a knock-on effect within the squad.

The knock on is where I disagree, it’s absolutely standard in the Premier league. Do players at big clubs not play because the stars are getting 3-4 times what they are?

I agree it’s not just for Christmas but that’s what relegation clauses are for and you make sure as best as possible you get players that you can move on if needs be.

We seem to have been burnt by the Naismith deal as one example to now refuse to pay the normal amount for bigger players.

I don’t see the huge difference in having a larger squad on less as opposed to a smaller squad with a few high earners, the overall wage budget is what needs to be carefully managed.

Is Pukki not worth the reported 50k we will be paying him in the Champ?

Edited by Monty13
Spelling
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Again couldn’t or wouldn’t? 

If better players get more money I think that’s something the rest of the squad needs to accept.

A few stars on big money compared to others is the norm at pretty much all clubs, signing one or two less players to pay the extra for the quality we need is something we need to look at IMO.

I agree

Bailey's article says 60,000 would "have put him near the top of the wage bill" - which seems reasonable for an experienced 26 year old in the exact position we really needed

He also says we ended up paying Normann "not far short of what Andrich was after"

So instead of a proper CDM who's ended up at a team 3rd in the Bundesliga we've ended up with a luxury player who's definitely not a CDM in Normann just to save a few quid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

I agree

Bailey's article says 60,000 would "have put him near the top of the wage bill" - which seems reasonable for an experienced 26 year old in the exact position we really needed

He also says we ended up paying Normann "not far short of what Andrich was after"

So instead of a proper CDM who's ended up at a team 3rd in the Bundesliga we've ended up with a luxury player who's definitely not a CDM in Normann just to save a few quid

Exactly 

one or two 60k a week players could also have kept us up meaning more sky money next season 

like others have said a couple of higher earners who are better player like other teams the rest of the squad will have to get on with their jobs 

Pukki as  reported is going to be on 50 k a week when others have had their wages cut due to going down 

well played by pukki's agent for getting the deal 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

I agree

Exactly, in hindsight a poorer use of money than just paying the extra on what we needed.

40 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Yet we are / were perfectly happy (it seems) to pay Pukki £50k pw? Even in The Championship as well!! Also stories (I think from Michael Bailey) that he was / is not the highest earner. Badge of Honour going to T Krul (on £70k pw allegedly!!).

A considerable part of that '£60k pw' could have been paid for within overall budget by not wasting wages on the Greek wonder kid and / or that 'striker' from Werder Bremen we were allegedly advised 'not to buy'!!

No chance Krul is on 70k. I remember reading somethign claiming our highest earner was Williams on 65k which honestly seemed abour right for a youngster at United.

9 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

No chance Krul is on 70k. I remember reading somethign claiming our highest earner was Williams on 65k which honestly seemed abour right for a youngster at United.

You may be right about Krul but there was a strong rumour to that effect. However, point I was making is that some Norwich players ARE (allegedly) on wages that this guy was asking for. Hence we COULD afford it and obviously should have IF he was regarded as the much needed CDM surely!!  

What a superb article. LOADS of points I pulled out of it above and beyond what has been mentioned. 

1. Lukas Rupp likely to depart
  2. Normann signed on wages "not far off" what Andrich wanted
  3. Farke wanted just three signings; a marquee centre back, a Skipp replacement DM and a Buendia replacement forward
  4. The plan to sign quality over quantity changed when behind the scenes people panicked over Farke's brutal training and feeling injuries would catch them out
  5. Club feels they got over the odds for Buendia. 
  6. Ajer wasn't signed because only prepared to pay £10m and felt could get him free in Jan
  7. Kieran Scott was on gardening leave from start of summer window - led Webber to be more hands on which meant a greater leaning on agents
  8. Todd Cantwell failed to respond to every trick in Smith's and Shakey's playbook
  9. Current side felt "too quiet". Want to change culture to one where players challenge each other more rather than accepting defeat. 

Really great article which I recommend you read if you can.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

What we all knew a disaster of a transfer window badly handled from beginning to end 

Webber simply cannot stay on 

Our summer dealings remind me of that episode in the Sunderland documentary where the sporting director ends up paying way over the odds for Will Griggs (I belive it was him), despite being told to run away from the deal. I feel like we waited to the end of the window, didn't get our main targets and panicked.

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

What a superb article. LOADS of points I pulled out of it above and beyond what has been mentioned. 

1. Lukas Rupp likely to depart
  2. Normann signed on wages "not far off" what Andrich wanted
  3. Farke wanted just three signings; a marquee centre back, a Skipp replacement DM and a Buendia replacement forward
  4. The plan to sign quality over quantity changed when behind the scenes people panicked over Farke's brutal training and feeling injuries would catch them out
  5. Club feels they got over the odds for Buendia. 
  6. Ajer wasn't signed because only prepared to pay £10m and felt could get him free in Jan
  7. Kieran Scott was on gardening leave from start of summer window - led Webber to be more hands on which meant a greater leaning on agents
  8. Todd Cantwell failed to respond to every trick in Smith's and Shakey's playbook
  9. Current side felt "too quiet". Want to change culture to one where players challenge each other more rather than accepting defeat. 

Really great article which I recommend you read if you can.

Thanks for that. 👍

Was there any mention of what Sorensen has to do to get a game?