Sign in to follow this  
TheGunnShow

Warnock retires.

Neil Warnock: Former Middlesbrough, QPR and Sheffield United manager retires - BBC Sport

A farewell to one of English football's most enduring characters with an excellent record in the Championship. Good to see he'd shaken off the Covid as well. Might not have played anything resembling Farkeball, but he was excellent at getting a lot out of a little.

Shame to see him go, but hope he continues to enjoy good health and turns up as a pundit now and again.

• Like 2

Director - "Do you think our fans will like your style of football?"

Neil Warnock - "What styles that, winning?"

A conversation that took place in Norwich in 1998 after Mike Walker left and Neil Warnock was in the City for an interview for the vacant position!

Many didn't like Colin W* nker but he was a decent manager and we'd of likely done better from 1998 till the Worthington era had the Director not p issed him off in the interview and he'd of taken the job!

He'll be back. Someone will try and tempt him out of retirement.

Characters like him just can't help it, football is like a drug to them.

Such a shame he never got the job here ahead of Bruce Rioch.

Funny thing was, Rioch had worked wonders at Bolton. Wasn't bad at Arsenal either. Warnock would have been an acquired taste, but winning covers a multitude of sins. He'd probably have ended up like McCarthy at Ipswich - kept a team punching above its weight and his departure saw the excrement hitting the fan.

Hate his football, but really like the man.

I find his passion for the game and his humour a real tonic!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Hate his football, but really like the man.

I find his passion for the game and his humour a real tonic!

Yep. He's the kind of bloke you'd like to be chatting to at a game or over a match somewhere. Would be an experience and an education.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

https://youtu.be/0Wv8nUwAbb4

How would our players react to a piece of this. 

Funking hell, imagine having a shot every time he funking said funking, the funking funker funk!

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Funking hell, imagine having a shot every time he funking said funking, the funking funker funk!

Fantastic passion, his pain was tangible. 

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Funny thing was, Rioch had worked wonders at Bolton. Wasn't bad at Arsenal either. Warnock would have been an acquired taste, but winning covers a multitude of sins. He'd probably have ended up like McCarthy at Ipswich - kept a team punching above its weight and his departure saw the excrement hitting the fan.

Rioch is always a funny one. A few folks seem to hate him, or really not remember his tenure with any fondness.

As a 16yr old, he brought a more exciting brand of football. I don't mean to sound negative particularly, but when he arrived at the club the squad looked like this:image.png.bb6623043ab7225a24a8d73db4e2c521.png
Quite a number of those players were past their best. It could be fun at times like when we saw flashes of the old Fleck (that moment when his momentum took him off the pitch and into the front row of the stand where he sat and chatted briefly with the fans! Obviously Eadie was a great player, Adams still regularly delivered. Iwan was not yet the force he became...

I remember sitting and watching sides with Carey and Milligan in the heart of midfield, sometimes with Grant in for one of those two... it wasn't pretty. And we finished 15th.

Que the arrival of Rioch.
image.png.7231ffe1b310e03162af946408cda0af.png
I remember the football was more exciting, we started to see more of the younger players given a regular game. Bellamy started more games, for example. Fleck had gone and Iwan became the focal point. Mulryne arrived and gave us that guile and passing ability in the centre of the park. Anselin arrived and was another who could carry the ball well and move it about.

Although sad, Gunn left and we got to see Marshall replace him. Mackay arrived to start that partnership with Fleming. We finished that season in 9th having scored 9 more goals and conceding 7 less than the season before. It felt a huge improvement. More passing, better attacking play. It felt fresher, newer.

Rioch left the following season in March, Hamilton took over. In 36 games Rioch registered 11 wins, 12 draws and 13 losses. Hamilton took over at the start of April with 6 games left to play - registering 2 winds, a draw and 3 losses. In the four games in-between we registered one win, two draws and one defeat.

Whilst I don't think Rioch was the success Worthington would be, or a number of other managers, I always felt that at least he was trying to take us in the right direction and signed exciting players, or players you could see what they were brought in for. Nowhere near as bad as other managers we've had since, nor Walker the season before.

Based on his performance this afternoon he's not got a future on Soccer Saturday, couldn't describe anything, he made Merson look eloquent.

Anyone see the Sheffield united documentary? Terrifying how different he is on match day to any other time. Warm, generous, compassionate, inspiring. Then match day, turns into a nasty piece of work. I both liked him and definitely wouldn’t want to play for him.

12 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Anyone see the Sheffield united documentary? Terrifying how different he is on match day to any other time. Warm, generous, compassionate, inspiring. Then match day, turns into a nasty piece of work. I both liked him and definitely wouldn’t want to play for him.

Brilliant documentary, I’m sure most players who played for him liked the guy. 

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Brilliant documentary, I’m sure most players who played for him liked the guy. 

I couldn’t deal with him being my best mate walking into the changing room, then screaming I’m a ‘useless f**king c**t’ at half time even when they are drawing. 

General consensus in Sheffield, even amongst Blades fans, is it is "all about him"!  The sooner "he ****s off to his estate in Cornwall to retire, the better"!  It's probably a bit harsh but as some on here have said, there is a certain two-faced aspect to his management, liking you off the pitch with the arm around you, but cross him and "bang"!  There is also the alleged issue of "brown paper packages" and "just a little off the top of signing on contracts for my work in this".  There are just too many tales like this from discarded players in Sheffield for it not to have a little element of truth.

Someone told me one of the Worst managers in the changing room  for swearing and shouting at players was Roy Hodgson when he was at WBA never would of thought that 

Edited by norfolkngood

7 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Someone told me one of the Worst managers in the changing room  for swearing and shouting at players was Roy Hodgson when he was at WBA never would of thought that 

Biggus Dickus!....

• Haha 1