Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

We didn't lose?!

Its pretty much the only thing to take from that game.

Well, that and those who think we need to replace Hanley are probably sniffing something if they think we stand a chance of signing anyone better whilst in the championship!

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Well, that and those who think we need to replace Hanley are probably sniffing something if they think we stand a chance of signing anyone better whilst in the championship!

I stand by my view that if we go back and and are regularly starting him and McLean for a third time then we're getting relegated again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He was MOTM by a mile for us. And he played midweek. What excuse have the others got?

• Like 2

If we are first on MOTD viewers will miss the rest of the featured games as our game would be akin to having cotton wool immersed in chloroform applied to their nose and mouths.....ZZZZzzzzz........

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

I stand by my view that if we go back and and are regularly starting him and McLean for a third time then we're getting relegated again.

Hanley pretty much single handedly gained us a point in this league, and not for the first time. In a competent team he would be absolutely fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Got to be honest, despite the fact the ball was virtually consistently in our penalty box I barely noticed Gibson doing anything but Hanley was superb. Hanley and Omabamdiele should be our first choice pairing next season 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Got to be honest, despite the fact the ball was virtually consistently in our penalty box I barely noticed Gibson doing anything but Hanley was superb. Hanley and Omabamdiele should be our first choice pairing next season 

Absolutely agreed. Think Hanley would be the perfect partner for Omo to work with, and there's a fair bit of pace between them too.

• Like 1

From the games I've seen, Hanley is our POTS. And with no disrespect to him, if he's our POTS in the PL, that's a relegation team.

Big Braveheart Grant and Timmy the Orange were the key men today.....the rest of the squad were just pump.....

Edited by Mello Yello
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

2 points from the seagulls this season? Love it. Shame we were awful in almost every other way and they probably should have beaten us 4 or 5 nill.. But who cares, we didnt lose! 😁

You’re back

26 minutes ago, king canary said:

That’s a very big IF! I don’t think we’ll be that close to coming back up next season.

Edited by Indy

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hanley pretty much single handedly gained us a point in this league, and not for the first time. In a competent team he would be absolutely fine.

Begs the question why no competent Premier League ever signed him. I don't think he starts in the other 19 teams at this level.

I knows it's simplistic but he's been our captain and a regular starter for two seasons where our defence have looked completely disorganised. I don't think those things are entirely unrelated.

Reminds me a bit of when people insisted that actually Russell Martin was fine and it was all his team mates fault despite him being the common denominator for an extended spell. We all know how that worked out.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Begs the question why no competent Premier League ever signed him. I don't think he starts in the other 19 teams at this level.

I knows it's simplistic but he's been our captain and a regular starter for two seasons where our defence have looked completely disorganised. I don't think those things are entirely unrelated.

Reminds me a bit of when people insisted that actually Russell Martin was fine and it was all his team mates fault despite him being the common denominator for an extended spell. We all know how that worked out.

He has been better than all our other CBs though. Surely Gibson is the priority to replace because contrary to what people said pre-season, he is certainly not close to being as good as Hanley.

And to ask us to upgrade both CB positions in the championship with improvements is not going to happen. 

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Such a simple but perfectly formed post. Hanley is a great CB when fit and partnered with someone with pace. Equally how can you single out a CB holding a defensive line without support in front for practically most of the season? 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2022 at 19:15, hogesar said:

He has been better than all our other CBs though. Surely Gibson is the priority to replace because contrary to what people said pre-season, he is certainly not close to being as good as Hanley.

And to ask us to upgrade both CB positions in the championship with improvements is not going to happen. 

I don't think we need to upgrade both to be honest- I think Omobamidele starts next season and will become better than both Gibson and Hanley. 

Then, if we go back up, we should be looking for an upgrade on Hanley. 

Keep Gibbo bench-warming, so when we have to flog Omo in the 2023 January transfer window to cover the club's energy bills....We'll hopefully still have the required nerf gun ammo to be a top 26 club....

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't think we need to upgrade both to be honest- I think Omobamidele starts next season and will become better than both Gibson and Hanley. 

Then, if we go back up, we should be looking for an upgrade on Hanley. 

Understand a bit better now - I thought you wanted us to find a better player than Hanley whilst in the championship to replace him which I thought was ambitious.

I still think we will struggle to do so if we come up again but no harm in looking..

On 02/04/2022 at 17:32, king canary said:

Well if the current speculation is true then you may be surprised next season!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Come on now you can't just say that and claim rumours and inside inofmation without spilling the beans

I also think Hanley is our most POTS, I understand the point that he the leader in a poor defence, I will be surprised if he is still with us next season.  We face an interesting summer

37 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Yeah I saw the thing on the pinkun, I'm going to say I'll believe it when I see it to be honest. It was one sentence in an article with no specific clubs mentioned.

Edited by king canary

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Come on now you can't just say that and claim rumours and inside inofmation without spilling the beans

C'mon cc. Its not even an app paying article.😉

His performances have even impressed other Premier League clubs, some of whom are beginning to step up their scouting and analysis efforts around the Scottish defender ahead of the summer transfer window. 

I could quite believe it. Big Grant could do a job for the promoted sides from the championship.  He now has accumulated vast knowledge of what it takes in this premier league. Backs against the Wall 🧱  scenarios. 

2 minutes ago, Mengo said:

C'mon cc. Its not even an app paying article.😉

His performances have even impressed other Premier League clubs, some of whom are beginning to step up their scouting and analysis efforts around the Scottish defender ahead of the summer transfer window. 

I could quite believe it. Big Grant could do a job for the promoted sides from the championship.  He now has accumulated vast knowledge of what it takes in this premier league. Backs against the Wall 🧱  scenarios. 

Well think it's fair to say that if any clubs offers us more than 10 million for him and offers him more than 30 grand a week then he gone.. But can you really see that happening?

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well think it's fair to say that if any clubs offers us more than 10 million for him and offers him more than 30 grand a week then he gone.. But can you really see that happening?

I can see a promoted club offering maybe 5-7 million for his services and yes he'd definitely get a salary increase.

Anything is possible . But as we know negotiable tactics 🙄 could be difficult up a ⛰️ mountain . 

On 02/04/2022 at 11:31, Indy said:

That’s a very big IF! I don’t think we’ll be that close to coming back up next season.

This has always been my concern. The players we sold and didn’t replace, along with the loanees leaving and key players aging…. all adds up to not having the budget to be competitive for a few seasons.

We missed striking while the iron was hot.

The only consolation is that as a club, we are  not in a financially precarious situation. For that I am very grateful.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

According to the boy Davitt on the Pink Un podcast this evening he thinks it's '50:50' whether Hanley is still here come start of next season.