Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Five subs to made law in the Prem after U-turn

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-set-to-introduce-five-substitutions-rule-after-u-turn-from-clubs-p9g7jn8z9

Not that it matters as we won't be in the Prem next season but yet again more rules that favour the rich and top clubs.. Not surprised in the slightest sadly. This modern Premier Leauge football really is depressing 

I think this change will benefit all teams and the players.

1.) Managers can be more strategic with their substitutions and have the opportunity to make a sub in the first half if their original plan is not working as well as they liked.

2.) Managers can see that other players get a little more game time, while allowing more opportunity to take players out of the game early to rest in the circumstance of a congested schedule.

3.) Players who are on the fringe or looking to be brought back up to match speed/fitness can be used without having to use a valuable substitution. 

4.) Might help to reduce injuries brought on by fatigue.

Just a few thoughts.

Agreed with Cambridge that this primarily benefits big clubs with their additional European fixtures and big money friendly appearances in China mid season and rotating their grossly overpaid squads…

Was it Klopp that recently said the bottom clubs would still be the bottom clubs with or without the change to 5 subs? Probably true but good to confirm the bottom 6 are just a 12 game inconvenience for the big clubs.

To be honest it is a joke and massively favours the big teams with the big squads.

It will effectively mean you can keep half the team on the bench and bring them in the second half rather than being forced to make a decision about if you play the first team etc.

I remember watching the lock down fa cup game against Man Utd and looking in disbelief as they made 6 changes as far as I remember Pogba,maguire, rashford, Greenwood and two more players were introduced from the bench.

I am against it big style it will reduce the spectacle of any match involving a big team and a smaller team.

I don’t usually side with Sean Dyche but in this case his opposition to this is spot on and the nonsense sprouted by Klopp and Pep is just that.

• Like 2

Why not just adopt the kids rules and have unlimited substitutions and no limits to you coming off and going back on ?

• Like 1

This will help clubs like ManUre who are notoriously bad at keeping a full squad happy, with "superstars" sitting on the bench.  Now they can at least ensure they have a run out every week they are fit. For those at the bottom, at least it could help them market an up and coming young player very now and then, but fundamentally it only benefits the bigger clubs.

• Like 1

Becoming more and more americanised with their mass squad games and part of the gradual disintegration of everything that made football a great game in the first place - and perpetuating the ability of those few clubs that have the most resources to find it easier to dominate the rest.  The powers in charge have NO interest in fans, only in money and power.

• Like 1

The extra injuries are because the majority of the top teams now ask players to press in all areas of the pitch in a way that was unheard of 10 years ago particularly for attacking players. Klopp and Pep know this as they are the ones who pioneered this approach and surprise surprise they are the ones who want more subs available.

The only thing regarding substitution which I would back is to ring fence a goalkeeper change this allows 3 subs to be made without fear of what if your goalkeeper gets injured or sent off.

I think it was Klopp who said that smaller teams were terrible with 3 subs, and that having 5 subs won't make them any less terrible. And I think for teams like us that is very true. Overall it may help those with smaller squads by giving players more rest perhaps, but it'll certainly help the bigger clubs deal with fixture congestion a lot better I would think

Edited by AJ

I'll accept the validity of an argument from Klodiola ('arf) that recovery is important for players. I agree that overexertion/fixture congestion is a problem and that players, regardless of how fit they get, do not always get recovery between games. However, I would also say knowing how to pace your team, knowing how to keep them fresh, motivated etc. even if they're not always on the pitch is very much the manager's lookout.

I think this makes their job easier and they're using recovery/injury/player welfare as something to hide behind. If a player's creaking, let them have a rest. I thought that was good of Smith re. Giannoulis / Rupp recently, even if a few did wonder if there was a bit of lead-swinging going on.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Does it really favour the big clubs, though? Obviously the bigger clubs have stronger squads, but are their players 12-16 any stronger in relation to the starting XI than the smaller clubs? I could understand players 20-24 maybe, but maybe not 12-16.

Also, football is tougher on the legs without the ball. The bigger clubs tend to dominate possession, so two extra pairs of fresh legs for the smaller clubs later in the game wouldn't be a bad thing. 

10 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Does it really favour the big clubs, though? Obviously the bigger clubs have stronger squads, but are their players 12-16 any stronger in relation to the starting XI than the smaller clubs? I could understand players 20-24 maybe, but maybe not 12-16.

Also, football is tougher on the legs without the ball. The bigger clubs tend to dominate possession, so two extra pairs of fresh legs for the smaller clubs later in the game wouldn't be a bad thing. 

I think it definitely favours the bigger clubs.

Look at the players on the benches of the top 6.

In most cases all of the players on their benches get into the starting XI of the teams below them.

42 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Hopefully the rule won't filter down to the Championship. 

I would also limit squads to 25, regardless of age.

No VAR, three subs, full of teams with real, non plastic fans..

I for one can't wait! 😉

If they are going to allow five subs then let it be only five subs named.

Managers would then have to show their worth adapting to all situations and the biggest clubs would not be able to keep players artificially happy by naming them in the matchday squads. 

Perhaps this would lead to a better distribution of talent to invigorate competitions that are becoming boring and predictable with the top 4 or 5 clubs winning everything.

The Premiership should be there for all the teams in the division, not just the richest clubs. 

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think it definitely favours the bigger clubs.

Look at the players on the benches of the top 6.

In most cases all of the players on their benches get into the starting XI of the teams below them.

But as I said before, the players 12-16 at the big clubs are still slightly inferior, in theory to the starting XI. The same is true of the smaller clubs, in that the players 12-16 are slightly inferior to the starting XI. In terms of the difference of ability between the substitute and the player he replaces, is there really a massive difference, whether it be Man City, Liverpool, Burnley or Norwich? 

It has been passed apparently does mean it starts right away? 

A joke to be honest I hope at least someone speaks out against it.  

It won’t be long until the tv money is not distributed equally either

Edited by Ulfotto

13 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But as I said before, the players 12-16 at the big clubs are still slightly inferior, in theory to the starting XI. The same is true of the smaller clubs, in that the players 12-16 are slightly inferior to the starting XI. In terms of the difference of ability between the substitute and the player he replaces, is there really a massive difference, whether it be Man City, Liverpool, Burnley or Norwich? 

Hugely. 

Liverpool could get Mane running flat out for 60 minutes knowing Diaz can come on.

We can get Sargent running flat out for 60 minutes and bring on....Tzolis? 

On 30/03/2022 at 14:04, Well b back said:

Why not just adopt the kids rules and have unlimited substitutions and no limits to you coming off and going back on ?

We could have a team for when we are attacking, a team for when we are defending and one for free kicks, penalties etc.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

It has been passed apparently does mean it starts right away? 

A joke to be honest I hope at least someone speaks out against it.  

It won’t be long until the tv money is not distributed equally either

https://interestingfootball.com/premier-league-prize-money-epl-teams-prize-by-position-table/

60 million doesn't seem like much in today's world....would make a huge difference to us.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Hugely. 

Liverpool could get Mane running flat out for 60 minutes knowing Diaz can come on.

We can get Sargent running flat out for 60 minutes and bring on....Tzolis? 

Diaz isn't much (if any) worse than Mane. 

Would Tzolis, Dowell or Rowe be much (if any) worse than Sargent?

I'm not so sure. 

During an injury crisis, I could understand that the big clubs have strength in depth amongst players not even making the squad, but in normal circumstances, I'm not so sure.