cambridgeshire canary

WEBBER- It's time to gooooooooooo!

Webber, do one and never return.  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Webber must jog on.

• Yes, he must.
    • Why yes, you are right he should.

We blew Brentford away over last season - now we cant even beat them at home. Summer recruitment was very very poor again.

Let someone else have a go this time.

My only caveat to Webber going is that it will be Neil Adams making the decisions then.

I'm not sure that it moving forwards in any way shape or form.

The club needs new onwership ( but the right type of new ownership) to freshen everything up. Delia and Co have been in charge too long.

Edited by duke63

Just now, duke63 said:

We blew Brentford away over last season - now we cant even beat them at home. Summer recruitment was very very poor again.

Let someone else have a go this time.

Interestingly enough, we beat them at their place in Farke's last game in charge of us... we made them look particularly ordinary that day.

I still say major issue today is why Smith started with McLean & Gilmour.  There were alternatives who would have provided more issues to Brentford.  And those alternatives were also sourced by Webber.  Smith has to answer first today.

In all the years that I’ve been supporting this club, this has to be the most embarrassing top-flight squad/mess we’ve ever assembled. Gilmore is garbage… yet still gets picked. One can only assume we have it in the loan contract that he has to play a set number of games? The other recruits, bar Rashica, are terrible.

Webber has to go, and if he had any self respect, he’d actually resign. Two attempts at the Premier League and the inevitable same result. There shouldn’t be a chance in Hell that he gets a third attempt. 

The board seriously needs to look at themselves and stop treating the club like a jolly country club. Be competitive or get out. 

And now for a stiff single malt to cheer me up. Cheers.

• Like 1

Our failure is fundamentally due to a business model which lacks efficacy in the PL. No blame attaches to the sporting director, coach or players. Only with new investment might we cease to be an embarrassment to and in the PL.

• Like 1

Webber’s “pi$$ed the money up the wall” swipe about the previous regime is starting to look a bit ironic. Chances are this time next season we’ll be back to where he starred, albeit with a better training ground. His hyperbole and bravado can’t disguise the fact that his recruitment has been appalling in every PL transfer window. And it’s for that reason I’m out.

I agree that the current owners should be making plans for what happens when they are no longer around and trying to get new owners who can invest more into the club, but would giving Webber extra money this year have made that much difference? The players he recruited have largely been disappointing, and, more tellingly, did not address the obvious needs we had (a defensive midfielder, for a start). New players not performing as you hoped they would can be bad luck; not filling holes in the squad that were blindingly obvious to anyone with half a brain is not. I don't think Webber has shone in his managerial decisions either. He sacked Farke just as it seemed he might be turning a corner and replaced him with a second-rate journeyman who improved the results marginally for a while but who has done nothing to improve the performances or to suggest that he has the vision to build a team to get us back out of the Championship. For better or worse, we are now stuck with Smith.

Many people are horrified by the idea of Adams taking over as Director of Football. I'm sure he would be miles behind Webber in terms of club infrastructure and balancing the books and introducing new gimmicks like Soccerbot, but I suspect he might be a better judge of a footballer and have a clearer idea of how recruited players might fit into a team. 

Will Webber resign? I doubt it. 

Webber is a business entrepreneur who rather fell in to football and has had great success until now. 
Sadly like Farke, our owners and the players he is not premier league quality.

let’s thank him for what he has done and ditch him before next season. Bring in someone else to sort the business side and let Smith, Shakey and Neil Adam’s find the players

I fear we are really in schtoock at the moment. Our Sporting director has messed up badly, not only with the players but the new coach as well.

I worry what might become of next season.

There is no horizon for me at the moment.

Our most important match of the season and all he has to announce is that he is walking up Mt Everest. Well **** off then, we have more important things to worry about.

Probably our worst ever top flight squad. Shockingly poor.

No - he has done OK given the (comparative) peanuts in wages he has to work with. The problem is an octogenarian board which has long since passed its usefulness but which, for sentimental reasons, gets a free pass from most fans. Once again for the umpteenth time 1990's local millionaire ownership, however sincere and kindly, cannot cut it in an age of billionaire global football. 

We have tried self funding- we can now see it leaves you horribly short. I doubt we will come back next year and I rather suspect we might go down further without a change at the top. This feels like a real end of a chapter for this football club. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

No - he has done OK given the (comparative) peanuts in wages he has to work with. The problem is an octogenarian board which has long since passed its usefulness but which, for sentimental reasons, gets a free pass from most fans. Once again for the umpteenth time 1990's local millionaire ownership, however sincere and kindly, cannot cut it in an age of billionaire global football. 

We have tried self funding- we can now see it leaves you horribly short. I doubt we will come back next year and I rather suspect we might go down further without a change at the top. This feels like a real end of a chapter for this football club. 

You keep calling it, eventually you'll be right. We won't forget the numerous wrong calls, though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What was he saying about our transfers in the past? Something about a wall? No doubt haunting him now..

I would disagree, the context of that statement was that we spent the money unwisely (mainly on wages) he then went on to say that we would not ignore the infrastructure as it will be an investment for many years ahead.

• Like 1

He's clearly failed to recruit players with enough to keep us up. He's made plenty of mistakes.

I do wonder though is there anyone who could do loads better with the budget we had? Maybe enough that we wouldn't be rock bottom but enough to keep us up? I'm not sure.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

He's clearly failed to recruit players with enough to keep us up. He's made plenty of mistakes.

I do wonder though is there anyone who could do loads better with the budget we had? Maybe enough that we wouldn't be rock bottom but enough to keep us up? I'm not sure.

I think £50M was sufficient to get us to 17th though.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Possibly not. But, as I said elsewhere, new players not working out can be simply bad luck; not buying someone to fill a position where everyone recognises there is a massive gap is incompetence. 

EDIT: Or arrogance, which I think is the likelier explanation.

Edited by canarybubbles

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That's what I thought initially too but as time has gone on I've changed my view.

£50/60m straight up? Yeah. £50/60m where over half of it has been raised by selling your best creative player? Not so sure.

8 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Possibly not. But, as I said elsewhere, new players not working out can be simply bad luck; not buying someone to fill a position where everyone recognises there is a massive gap is incompetence. 

EDIT: Or arrogance, which I think is the likelier explanation.

Agreed. Not buying a proper DM is especially criminal when you've gone out and signed Gilmour early doors, a player who clearly needs that midfield help.

58 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Webber is a business entrepreneur who rather fell in to football and has had great success until now. 
Sadly like Farke, our owners and the players he is not premier league quality.

let’s thank him for what he has done and ditch him before next season. Bring in someone else to sort the business side and let Smith, Shakey and Neil Adam’s find the players

Webber has only ever worked in football, he has no history of being a 'business entrepreneur who rather fell in to football'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Webber

42 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

£50million minus the loss of Buendia and Skipp to fund it - is actually not much. We lost two best players and so net spend was around £20 million - which is not much in todays world to work with 

54 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I would disagree, the context of that statement was that we spent the money unwisely (mainly on wages) he then went on to say that we would not ignore the infrastructure as it will be an investment for many years ahead.

He's not replaced the City Stand yet.  That's real hambition. 😉

Edited by shefcanary
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chicken said:

Sorry, but Ajer defensively was not great. That our attacking threat didn't push him harder is quite sad. You can certainly see why they have been defensively questionable over their last run of games.

The difference between them and us today was largely the attacking play. Put balls into dangerous places enough and the percentages pay off. Today it was twice against Gibson. Did we play any balls in like that? Some, certainly not enough.

I don't think Ajer did anything to suggest you could say he was "quality". 

I'd also argue, when they got  balls in our box, we panic, partly why we conceded so many.

When we get in the box, along as they surround pukki there is little concern about our other attackers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chicken said:

Sorry, but nope.

The table doesn't reflect "quality" it's the one thing it is unable to reflect. It actually does reflect form, because a series of results is exactly that - form. And as everyone and his dog will tell you, good form breeds confidence. And vice-versa.

There have been sides we have seen at Carrow Road who beat us due to form, or being in better form, not particularly because of a gulf in quality.

Really?

Leciester at home who were at sea at the back due to a huge defensive injury list, and played awfully on the day, 1-2 loss.

Watford at home. Two poor sides but we ended up looking much much poorer. 1-3 loss.

Leeds at home. Another side bang out of form coming to carrow road with key players injured. 1-2 loss and a hopelessly poor final 30 minutes.

And today’s game against a Brentford team who have mustered 4 points out of their last 30. 1-3 loss after a second half capitulation.

Who can you suggest we have more ‘quality’ than in this league? We’re the worst side in it, with Watford close. I can’t say I’ve ever been familiar with anyone describing an entire season as ‘form’, either. No - form was the first 5-games we lost in a row, or the 2x 3-game spells where we won two and drew one, or the current 5 game losing run we’re in now. It’s a patch of good or bad results; the individual peaks or troughs throughout the season.

Come the end of the season, where we finish will not be our ‘form’ it will be sum of all the best and worst and everything in between results we’ve strung together throughout the season, most likely it will place us comfortably at the bottom of the league.

That is pretty indicative of ‘quality’ to me. If it isn’t, then what teams can you single out as inferior to us?