Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Todays injury updates- Normann back, Krul still out

All taken from this mornings presser.

'Gilmour is back, Normann is back. Rupp and Omobamidele are both back in training but I probably won’t consider them for Wolves. They’ll be ready for Palace. Tim is still out. I still think it will be five or six weeks from when the injury occurred. An operation wasn’t required.Lungi is back doing linear running on the grass, so is healing a lot quicker than expected.'

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Hmmm. Linear running indicates still a bit to go, recovery-wise. Running in a straight line isn't usually too arduous, but sudden changes of direction really put the load on ligaments and joints.

1 minute ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Generally good news especially for the Palace game.

Yes it is. I hope that Normann and Gilmour start tomorrow to give them game time. I'd mistakenly written this season off but now think we have a chance of staying up. We should therefore approach tomorrow's game with that in mind. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yes it is. I hope that Normann and Gilmour start tomorrow to give them game time. I'd mistakenly written this season off but now think we have a chance of staying up. We should therefore approach tomorrow's game with that in mind. 

Honestly wonder if Gilmour being paired next to someone big and pshyical like Normann might help him. Would be interesting to see the two player together alongside one another

I feel quite optimistic too, but Gunn still worries me when I think about Krul being out.

Really hope the Watford match was a boost to his confidence and shows his credentials in the next month of games.  He wasn't overly busy in that game, but he was well up for it as you could see him holding on to the ball in the first half - he was pumped.

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You’ve just jinxed it my friend 😁

So we’re approaching 3 weeks from injury for Krul, so maybe update title to say 3 weeks away for Krul?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I feel quite optimistic too, but Gunn still worries me when I think about Krul being out.

Really hope the Watford match was a boost to his confidence and shows his credentials in the next month of games.  He wasn't overly busy in that game, but he was well up for it as you could see him holding on to the ball in the first half - he was pumped.

I think the difference in personalities between Krul and Gunn doesn't help. Krul very much has a strong leadership personality and is often shouting and screaming at his players, with a strong commanding voicd or calming them down when needed. Even when Krul has a bad game he still comes across as level headed and strong.

Meanwhile Gunn is rather timid and placid and often looks a little shy and too worried to try and get on his defenders backs when they mess up.

Its easy to say which of those two personalities you would prefer to have in goal

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Krul very much has a strong leadership personality and is often shouting and screaming at his players, with a strong commanding voicd or calming them down when needed. Even when Krul has a bad game he still comes across as level headed and strong.

Ironically the former Norwich goalkeeper Krul reminds me most of is Angus's dad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Honestly wonder if Gilmour being paired next to someone big and pshyical like Normann might help him. Would be interesting to see the two player together alongside one another

Normann obviously likes the gym but he's not very big - comfortably under 6ft would be my guess.

Unless Smith is going to change the recent system, I don't think we have any midfielders who could go alongside Gilmour and make up for his shortcomings 

31 minutes ago, kirku said:

Normann obviously likes the gym but he's not very big - comfortably under 6ft would be my guess.

Unless Smith is going to change the recent system, I don't think we have any midfielders who could go alongside Gilmour and make up for his shortcomings 

Height's not quite everything though. Normann is clearly pretty thick-set. 

Prime example, the captain and one of our centre midfielders in the vets team I play in is around my height. There's probably a three-stone difference in weight - he's got that much extra muscle (and some timber) compared to me, and when he fancies a 50:50, he very rarely loses it.

Edited by TheGunnShow

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I think Gilmour had his best performance earlier this season when he was playing together with Normann. Can't recall which match it was though, maybe against Wolves.. They've not had chance to play much together though. Don't really know if that is actually the only time so far.

Edited by hepphep

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

So we’re approaching 3 weeks from injury for Krul, so maybe update title to say 3 weeks away for Krul?

Quite so. It’s definitely not 6 weeks from now as suggested.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Height's not quite everything though. Normann is clearly pretty thick-set. 

Prime example, the captain and one of our centre midfielders in the vets team I play in is around my height. There's probably a three-stone difference in weight - he's got that much extra muscle (and some timber) compared to me, and when he fancies a 50:50, he very rarely loses it.

Indeed - but Normann is not going to dominate a Kouyate or Sissoko in the same way as the chap from your vets team does to you.

If most other physical attributes are broadly equal, additional height is very useful (especially when Gilmour is about 5ft 5). 

So if the general consensus of opinion is the Gilmour starts with Normann, do we play with PLM or Kenny (Sorrenson injured)?

My view would be for PLM to keep his place as I thought he had started to grow into the team over the last few games. 

Surely we wont play just the 2 of them in a 4-4-2.

3 minutes ago, NWC said:

So if the general consensus of opinion is the Gilmour starts with Normann, do we play with PLM or Kenny (Sorrenson injured)?

My view would be for PLM to keep his place as I thought he had started to grow into the team over the last few games. 

If the system stays the same, it'll be just two central midfielders

4 minutes ago, NWC said:

Ah Kenny, the loyal servant and good bloke who sadly seems to turn into Mr.Invisible when he gets on the pitch. Much as people have slated Lees-Melou on the pitch at least he brings some added hight and often does try and shoot for goal and its often on target even if they do get blocked or saved. He tries at least.

Lees-Melou>McLean in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, kirku said:

Indeed - but Normann is not going to dominate a Kouyate or Sissoko in the same way as the chap from your vets team does to you.

If most other physical attributes are broadly equal, additional height is very useful (especially when Gilmour is about 5ft 5). 

Sorta, and agree with the last part as then it basically boils down to a greater ability to win aerial duels. What I'm saying is that Normann's greater strength will mean he can withstand better what a Kouyate or Sissoko throws in even though he's somewhat shorter. He might not dominate them, but he'd put up much sterner resistance and be harder to shove around. Not to mention, I do quite well in 50:50s as I'm happy to hurl myself into them.

But our captain's got my aggression and bravery if not even more so (and I'll always do comparatively well in those two fields), then throw in the greater physical attributes and you can see why he dominates the middle of the park even against bigger lads when he's really in the mood.

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Sorta, and agree with the last part as then it basically boils down to a greater ability to win aerial duels. What I'm saying is that Normann's greater strength will mean he can withstand better what a Kouyate or Sissoko throws in even though he's somewhat shorter. He might not dominate them, but he'd put up much sterner resistance and be harder to shove around. Not to mention, I do quite well in 50:50s as I'm happy to hurl myself into them.

But our captain's got my aggression and bravery if not even more so (and I'll always do comparatively well in those two fields), then throw in the greater physical attributes and you can see why he dominates the middle of the park even against bigger lads when he's really in the mood.

If we had both Kouyate and Sissoko then maybe we could've got away with playing Gilmour in a 3 during the early stages of the season..

4 hours ago, WD40 said:

He told me he'd be looking at Southampton away. That could change obviously. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WD40 said:

youre aware of @cambridgeshire canary posting style. 

High content,  low fact. 

Edited by Greavsy

14 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

youre aware of @cambridgeshire canary posting style. 

High content,  low fact. 

10 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Absolutely. Gotta think about the click bait. 

It's a copy and paste directly from the presser. I know you loooove coming into my thrreads and derailing them by bashig me instead of focusing on the topic but for once this is not my fault. Blame whoever wrote the presser, not me. I did make a mistake with the title but has been fixed and I applogise for having not read correctly.

tweeety.png

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's a copy and paste directly from the presser. I know you loooove coming into my thrreads and derailing them by bashig me instead of focusing on the topic but for once this is not my fault. Blame whoever wrote the presser, not me. I did make a mistake with the title but has been fixed and I applogise for having not read correctly.

tweeety.png

So the fact the two other people pointed it out before me, but its my reply you decide to snipe back at! 

I note that you have amended the title (well done) to reflect the quoted tweet more accurately The quote is accurate & correct and  always has been.