Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Is Sargent any better than Stiepermann?

He does work hard, and is more physical than Marco.  Before he arrived he looked to have good potential, in the flesh I think Marco created more.

I just hope Josh comes good.

Josh faster and harder working, Marco more intelligent and could supply Pukki. But Marco couldn’t get near the team in prem and wasn’t the same player after covid so redundant.

Distinctly different players in different positions and at different stages of their career so I'm not really sure how you can compare.

Stieps took a while to peak with us and if anything that peak was short lived but even so was a very important player for us. Josh needs time. I've been critical of him, but you can't knock his workrate and I hope he achieves a bit of success with us.

• Like 3

The Stiepermann that scamper-stumbled and sliced his way through Championship defences in 18/19 was better than Sargent and was, for me at least, one of our best players that season in that whilst Pukki got the plaudits for his excellent finishing, Stiepi either set him up directly or had created space with his ability to dribble or willingness to hit early passes to Cantwell or Buendia for the direct assist.

The Stiepermann that was riddled with the after-effects of Epstein-Barr was anaemic and seemed to gas after 60 of less intense effort. Sargent has quite a few things in common with a peak Stiepi as I'd said in a previous post, namely that ability to run with and without the ball in an unorthodox manner, often with the odd shaky touch in there, with an opponent or two grimly hanging on for dear life, was also good at getting his foot in high up the pitch for causing turnovers, and liked chasing a defender or two down to give them the hurry-up. Not to mention being quite magnificently one-footed to a fault.

Sargent gives us an even better workrate in both directions than a peak Stiepi, certainly gives us more physical strength and probably a bit more out-and-out pace so in physical terms he's undoubtedly an upgrade for me. One of Stiepi's most annoying weaknesses was that for such a tall guy, he was comparatively poor in the air. Sargent looks like he can give us a fair bit here too.

However, Stiepi had something of an eye for a killer ball, and wasn't a bad player to have floating around on the edge of the box for some first-time shots. In a Norwich team that sometimes fell in love with the idea of walking it in, someone who was happy enough to wind up and rip one from the edge of the box was a useful weapon to have. Sargent's seemed willing to hit some, but to no effect yet.

Summa summarum, he's not performed as an upgrade yet, but the material is there to be something of an improvement.

This sums up for me that you havent a clue fella. Totally different players in every way.

Another persons threads to ignore. Clueless. I bet you never played the game, or definitely not past pub hoofball standard.

37 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Distinctly different players in different positions and at different stages of their career so I'm not really sure how you can compare.

Stieps took a while to peak with us and if anything that peak was short lived but even so was a very important player for us. Josh needs time. I've been critical of him, but you can't knock his workrate and I hope he achieves a bit of success

In terms of what they would have offered us this season, to keep it simple. 

Would Stiepermann have offered us any less?

31 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

This sums up for me that you havent a clue fella. Totally different players in every way.

Another persons threads to ignore. Clueless. I bet you never played the game, or definitely not past pub hoofball standard.

Go one then chap, let's see your Wikipedia entry, I'm expecting a glittering footballing cv. 

As far as I can see Sargent played most of his football in Germany as a second striker, how is that different!!

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I really liked Marco, but he didn’t provide a single goal or assist in 24 Premier League appearances. Appreciate he may have been ill for part of that but on evidence he was ineffective at this level. That all said, Sargent’s record is no better.

A fully fit Marco was great for us in the championship, but like virtually everyone else he really struggled to get to grips with the prem. I think given his fitness concerns letting him leave was best for everyone, Mario on the other hand...

Stiepermann is streets ahead of Sargent

Vrancic is streets, no miles ahead of PLM

Srbeny is streets ahead of Idah

Hernandez is streets ahead of Tzolis

hell, Leitner and Trybull are streets ahead of Gilmour

That’s not to say we should have necessarily kept those players BUT it just highlights how unbelievably poor our recruitment has been.

it’s actually shocking how we’ve managed it. 

• Like 1

I would rather stay patient with Sargent than any other of Webber's wonders anyway.

He's young, enthusiastic and full of running and if he could improve that final touch he could be very handy.

Edited by Nora's Ghost

I don’t think he is yet but is only 21 and I think will benefit massively from a season in the Championship