Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Where would this team finish in championship?

3 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

This is true, there has now been a real shift as most championship teams are now broke. I used to think it was harder to get out of the championship than stay in the premier league this is now not true staying in the premier league is very difficult.

The combination of covid and parachute payments have made bouncing back significantly easier. I think this season Fulham spent about £20m on new players, the rest of the league spent about £30m combined. 

Edited by king canary

10 hours ago, king canary said:

Top 2, the Championship is largely absolute dross.

So which of the other relegated clubs would we finish above then? The Championship will be a hell of a lot tougher then you seem to think. Steve Cooper has totally transformed Forest who could easily make the play offs and go up but if not they might be formidable next season + one from WBA, Fulham and Bournemouth if one of those misses out. 

11 hours ago, Surfer said:

We'd walk that league. Just as we have the last two seasons we were in it.

Why? Last season we had Buendia creating the chances. Who will do that next season as sure as hell no-one is doing it this season!

4 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

So which of the other relegated clubs would we finish above then? The Championship will be a hell of a lot tougher then you seem to think. Steve Cooper has totally transformed Forest who could easily make the play offs and go up but if not they might be formidable next season + one from WBA, Fulham and Bournemouth if one of those misses out. 

Quite a tough question to answer without knowing who they are. But we managed to finish above the other relegated clubs last season.

It's all gone a bit Chicken Little on here.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Quite a tough question to answer without knowing who they are. But we managed to finish above the other relegated clubs last season.

I genuinely think they’ll be a big exodus if we go down and it’ll take Smith time to bed in new players. I also don’t think we’ll romp home like we did under Farke. I can’t point to any science, as it’s purely my gut, but I’m sceptical to Smith’s record in the Champ when, at Villa, he had Grealish that got them through the play offs. 

I don’t think it would be easy but I think the current squad plus a few loans would give it a good go.

Gunn

bryam/Mumba Hanley Gibson mccallum

mcclean loan

cantwell dowell tzolis 

pukki 

Throw in Sorensen, Idah, Andrew o, Rupp and a few new signings and I think top 6 is realistic.

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

If anything coming back up last season more of a challenge than the potential one coming up next season.

Again plenty this time two seasons ago told me we didn't stand a chance of bouncing back.

We done it in style.

Even if we do lose all loans and a couple of players you're still talking about having Krul, Gibson, Hanley, Omobamidele, Rupp, Mclean, Rashica, Tzolis, Dowell, Byram, Pukki as players that would walk into 90% of the Championship. 

@Dean Coneys boots has predicted the end of the world for Norwich on every relegation and has got it wrong every single time. I get that if he keeps doing it he'll be right eventually but it all feels a little silly when he was the one making out our transfer window to be the best in living memory...

19 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I genuinely think they’ll be a big exodus if we go down and it’ll take Smith time to bed in new players. I also don’t think we’ll romp home like we did under Farke. I can’t point to any science, as it’s purely my gut, but I’m sceptical to Smith’s record in the Champ when, at Villa, he had Grealish that got them through the play offs. 

I get some of that.

I'm just a bit confused how we've oscilated from holding our own against Man U to suddenly multiple people claiming we're a midtable Championship team at best. The reaction to last night has been dramatic to say the least.

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

And this is my concern. Smith scraped play offs with Villa with a squad that had Grealish in it. 

Really really unfair on Smith, who was handed a team which had struggled under Bruce and was 14th in the table with no one expecting them to do anything that season.

I think this team would easily finish in the top 4 of the Championship, but it then depends on who else comes down with us.  Some of you are really overestimating the dross that is in that division.

we'd be in the playoff fight. Having a proven goalscorer at that level counts for so much

the Championship is absolutely **** these days. Last 2-3 seasons really gone down the pan, you have the likes of Luton, Millwall very comfortably upper mid table, there is no strength in depth in the league

Perceived exodus on relegation is farcical, most will be under contract even Todd.  But who will want to play good money for any of the failed Norwich squad.  Pukki might get a move but who too?  As regards next season we will be in a relatively good place for a promotion push, although others relegated in a better position.  Top 26 still on the cards. 

14 minutes ago, pete said:

Perceived exodus on relegation is farcical, most will be under contract even Todd.  But who will want to play good money for any of the failed Norwich squad.  Pukki might get a move but who too?  As regards next season we will be in a relatively good place for a promotion push, although others relegated in a better position.  Top 26 still on the cards. 

Knew you could be Positive Pete if you really worked at it.

13 hours ago, Surfer said:

We'd walk that league. Just as we have the last two seasons we were in it.

In those last two seasons we had Emi. In those 2 seasons he missed 12 or 13 games and in those matches we averaged around 1 point a game. 

2 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

Really really unfair on Smith, who was handed a team which had struggled under Bruce and was 14th in the table with no one expecting them to do anything that season.

I think this team would easily finish in the top 4 of the Championship, but it then depends on who else comes down with us.  Some of you are really overestimating the dross that is in that division.

I think I’m feeling a bit sore after last night. I know there’s plenty of the season to go still but I think after such emphatic displays in the Champ those title winning seasons I’m a bit skeptical as to what Smith will have us playing like. Daniel was the Champ king after all 

Blood the likes of Omobamidele, Mumba, Idah, Tzolis, Sargent, Placheta, and Sörensen in properly with Giannoulis showing proven class on the left-hand side of defence, and if Cantwell gets out of his funk, and there's the foundation of a very tasty young side in there. Rupp, Pukki, Gibson, Hanley, Krul, and McLean are proven class in the Championship. I suspect Rashica and Aarons would be sold. Could see Krul getting a number three gig at a top team if one of Barden, Mair or Oxborough kick right on.

Still need a destructive tank in defensive midfield, but if that set of young players gels, I think there's a good team in it. The likes of Dowell have shown inspiration and excellence in parts, but not quite enough for me.

22 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

playoffs. Defence is sound, Pukki would get 20+ but we lack quality in the middle, especially while Normann is out. We'd end up drawing a load. Missing out on Billing in summer wasn't helpful as he's exactly the sort of player we lack.

Think that's pretty accurate - this team isn't as strong as last year's Championship winning team but as long as Pukki stayed fit I reckon we'd make the play offs.

Anyone who has watched Championship games this year understands that the majority of teams - even those pushing for promotion - are dross. Our players under contract - even allowing for Aarons to leave - should walk that league. Fact is the step up to PL is huge, especially if you have an undersized team, which is exactly what Webber has been (too slowly perhaps) working on resolving...