Sign in to follow this  
Paul Robinson 1998

Should the 'no football shown at 3PM Saturday' rule be gone?

Hi all! My name is Paul and I joined this forum to post as few threads. here is one of them:

Since the 1960s UEFA have imposed a rule that no football matches can be broadcast live on TV between 2:45 to 5:00 PM. This was because they were worried in would have an effect on match attendances and discourage people from going to matches.

However, it's still in place, despite it being temporarily removed last season, it was brought back for this season. However, I think it's time this rule was removed.

1. Away fans are limited to small number of tickets like only 2,000-3,000 tickets on average. That is only a tiny number of fans who will get to see the match live.

2. Somne fans don't have enough money to buy tickets for every game, or can't travel easily.

3. Fans who can't go to football grounds because they are triggered by loud noices. It'sd unfair they have to miss out watching a match.

4. It would not effect attendances if this rule was removed. Do YouTube concert streams attend those attendances for concerts? No!

What are your thoughts on this idea?

Ask Sky and BT as they dictate kick off times. Money orientated and nothing to do with what the fans want.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

3. Fans who can't go to football grounds because they are triggered by loud noices.

These fans could simply go to Portman Road. 

You obviously haven't read his other thread Duncan ?

I always assumed it was an FA rule, didn't realise it was a UEFA thing.

You can't book an FA facility during "core hours" either, not sure if that stems from the same rule.

Edited by canarydan23

I think part of the point of the rule was that it would dissuade people from going to their local club if the big clubs' games were live on the TV at 3pm on a Saturday. 

It certainly seems ridiculous that Premier League games are shown live everywhere in the world except the UK. 

The obvious solution is for PL games to be played at lunchtime or 5pm on Saturdays, and 3pm on Sundays, so all games could be shown live without affecting lower league attendances.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I think part of the point of the rule was that it would dissuade people from going to their local club if the big clubs' games were live on the TV at 3pm on a Saturday. 

It certainly seems ridiculous that Premier League games are shown live everywhere in the world except the UK. 

The obvious solution is for PL games to be played at lunchtime or 5pm on Saturdays, and 3pm on Sundays, so all games could be shown live without affecting lower league attendances.

I think at some point something like that will happen, or the 3pm rule will be abandoned. There is simply too much money to be made.

Ok, the EPL get a fortune, billions, in TV rights, at the moment. However, I don't know if you are familar with NFL Gamepass, but you can basically pay a year subscription of something like £140 and you can watch any game live or they do a 40 minute highlights package which shows every play of the game (and shows how ridiculous it is that it takes 3 hours plus to watch it live).

If they did something like that for the Premier League, with every single game live, and kept it in house, they would make a fortune. You would get millions and millions of people globally willing to pay £100 plus a season for something like that. Just do the fag packet figures, if just 100 million people globally paid a very conservative £100 a year, you're talking £10 billlion a season. And on top of that, the EPL get full control of their product and don't have to bend the knee to Sky or BT.

Will need to get around the BBC Maych of the Day will be affected.  However as sure this will never change government of the day whoever colour will not permit due to pressure applied by smaller clubs and their communities.  Only teams wanting to see it change will be PL shown at 3.00 on Saturday will meet approval by those teams but millions of EFL and all the other leagues missing out. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Quite a bit of bad typing in the OP so I don't know whether the post is genuine or not.

Looking at the other nonsense he’s posted I would suggest it isn’t.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Bob Lord when he was Burnley chairman. He convinced Football League board members that showing games at the regular kick off times would harm grass-roots development in the sport, then UEFA took it on further.

I have a friend who agrees with the rule and I think it’s stupid. Many times I’ve bought tickets for games, got all ready to go and got the time off work, only for Sky to step in and mess my plans up.

We must be the only country with this domestic league problem.

A tourist came into my local in Truro and asked if they were showing Brighton - Liverpool, only to be explained the U.K. rules. I said that since Ireland isn’t in the U.K. they can show the matches just like everywhere else in the world and how a local club got fined huge money for showing the games on a Danish Viasat box after some 3pm shutdown lover bubbled on them.

The pi**ed off looks everyone got when I explained it, were totally agreeable on my behalf. There are people out there who have the idea embedded in their heads so much of watching people describe the goals as they go in, then stay up until stupid o’clock to watch MOTD, that they actually like it more than seeing a game.

We have to be so difficult to everyone else; Lynx instead of Axe deodorant, Jif instead of Cif for many years, Walkers instead of Lays and the only football league in the world where TV broadcasters mess up the plans of the supporters all because of a stupid broadcast rule!.

La Liga is always on Spanish TV, there is no shutdown rule for any of the kick off times, yet every week the matches still sell out. Same with the Bundesliga.

Edited by KernowCanary

Suspicious thread again, what is going on at the moment 

let’s get back to the usual arguments and puerile threads 

Now, only slightly off topic, but I can legitimately subscribe to NBC Sports but cannot watch it in the UK. However, as my company uses a third country supplied VPN, I could watch any 3pm KO I choose. 

So is that a crime against humanity or just interpreting the rules?

It’s largely irrelevant as anyone that wants to watch a PL game and some Championship games can, easily, and for free.

If they are worried about grass roots just move PL football permanently so it’s never on at Sat at 3pm.

As you can easily watch the games for free already crowds aren’t going to get affected so the whole attempt to stop streaming and not buy into it with a legal option seems archaic and stupid to me.

Just move grassroot matches to a different time, that'll solve the problem.

All Premier League matches should be shown on SKY in the UK. Radio commentary is not the same as watching it on TV.

It's bizarre that it still exists, given Amazon's weeknight coverage where I can watch any game, and BT with the same thing for Champions/Europa league coverage. Need to get with the times, if Sky have the rights let them show all the games. The fact you can easily access streams with the matches anyway makes it all so silly 

22 minutes ago, AJ said:

It's bizarre that it still exists, given Amazon's weeknight coverage where I can watch any game, and BT with the same thing for Champions/Europa league coverage. Need to get with the times, if Sky have the rights let them show all the games. The fact you can easily access streams with the matches anyway makes it all so silly 

Yeah, it's strange it exsists considering all weeknight games are shown.

The only downside of streams, tho is that they can be fukll of spyware and malware.

59 minutes ago, Lee Marshall said:

Yeah, it's strange it exsists considering all weeknight games are shown.

The only downside of streams, tho is that they can be fukll of spyware and malware.

I wasn't encouraging the use of streams, just pointing out that people are using them anyway, so why not show the games and give the clubs some more dollar! 

On 02/12/2021 at 14:21, Duncan Edwards said:

3. Fans who can't go to football grounds because they are triggered by loud noices.

These fans could simply go to Portman Road. 

They said football grounds though 

The solution for those who want it has been around for the last few years:

1. get a decent VPN

2. use an online service to get hold of an NBC Sports account in the US

3. watch any Prem game live at 3PM on a Saturday

Yes...it's a little 'grey'....but you are using a legitimate account to watch the matches

Edited by BigManInTheBarclay

17 hours ago, AJ said:

I wasn't encouraging the use of streams, just pointing out that people are using them anyway, so why not show the games and give the clubs some more dollar! 

Ah, I see. Apologies about my last post.

I agree that they should show all the games.