Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

Being different RIP……………

One of the joys of supporting the yellows has always been we have done things slightly differently as a club, a little unique. We don’t spend what we don’t have, we build our own, we had a set values in how went about things which we stuck to, we bought young players and developed them, we listened to supporters about inappropriate sponsors and we generally ignored the noise coming from southern biased media stations and rebel rousing social media sites. E.g. over Farkeball 

What I am most sad about is we are losing that uniqueness as quickly as Ipswich’s defence splits open. The disgraceful way Daniel was dealt with, agree with decision or not ( I didn’t by the way) was not in line with who I thought we were. Listening to the noise, following the norm. With the likely impact of Frank Lampard, we are entering the media circus, we are lashing ourselves with make up when a good fresh country look used to be attractive. We are losing our way and our identity. It feels like the club are going through a mid life crisis …. Hopefully it ends well

I will get behind whoever comes in, city are in my blood but I can’t help feeling we are selling our soul to the devil!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rhino1 said:

One of the joys of supporting the yellows has always been we have done things slightly differently as a club, a little unique. We don’t spend what we don’t have, we build our own, we had a set values in how went about things which we stuck to, we bought young players and developed them, we listened to supporters about inappropriate sponsors and we generally ignored the noise coming from southern biased media stations and rebel rousing social media sites. E.g. over Farkeball 

What I am most sad about is we are losing that uniqueness as quickly as Ipswich’s defence splits open. The disgraceful way Daniel was dealt with, agree with decision or not ( I didn’t by the way) was not in line with who I thought we were. Listening to the noise, following the norm. With the likely impact of Frank Lampard, we are entering the media circus, we are lashing ourselves with make up when a good fresh country look used to be attractive. We are losing our way and our identity. It feels like the club are going through a mid life crisis …. Hopefully it ends well

I will get behind whoever comes in, city are in my blood but I can’t help feeling we are selling our soul to the devil!!!

Who said we'd appointed Lampard?

Haven't seen anything official. 

Is this a Talksport induced tantrum? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

What is this all about lol

This is a flounce I don’t understand, this “we’re a unique club” I Cri Evrytim attitude is very strange I don’t get it?

Is it like we have to get an unknown foreign manager every time now to prove how edgy we are?

We sacked a manager with a 10% win rate...that is it. I want us to be a football club that is know for being successful on the pitch and not a charity case that rolls over everytime we are in the top flight. 

I want us not to be seen as little old Norwich. If the new manager brings that new identity then great...embrace and enjoy the ride

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

This is a flounce I don’t understand, this “we’re a unique club” I Cri Evrytim attitude is very strange I don’t get it?

Is it like we have to get an unknown foreign manager every time now to prove how edgy we are?

This strange attitude towards English managers is symptomatic of a wider deep self loathing in our society, it feels like some think a foreign manager is better by default because they aren't English. 

6 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Some 'liked the idea of a Norwgian manager'....positive discrimination at its most ridiculous....it was  rather ridiculous poster though. 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

This strange attitude towards English managers is symptomatic of a wider deep self loathing in our society, it feels like some think a foreign manager is better by default because they aren't English. 

2 days ago none of these people knew who this Norwegian guy was. Now he’s walking on water. 

Im just keeping an open mind, I don’t see that there’s any alternative right now? But the flouncing, my god the flouncing on here.

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

Some 'liked the idea of a Norwgian manager'....positive discrimination at its most ridiculous....it was  rather ridiculous poster though. 

I saw that post, one of the most hilarious things I’ve seen on here in ages.

”I want a Swedish manager because I went to IKEA once”

🤣

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

I don't mind the idea of a Norweigen manager because they'd likely tap into their player pool, bring a few Norweigens with them. Its a market which brings good value for money and we've had a decent record with Scandinavian players! 

Btw any manager who comes in will have to sign up to the self funded model and all that. It’s not like it’s a secret and they’ll expect billions. Any manager will HAVE to manage the Norwich way by default

• Thanks 1

Our painfully passive support base is certainly 'unique'.

Few if any other fans would tolerate what is going on at CR these days and would demand much more for their money.

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't mind the idea of a Norweigen manager because they'd likely tap into their player pool, bring a few Norweigens with them. Its a market which brings good value for money and we've had a decent record with Scandinavian players! 

Gone from 'quite like ' to 'dont mind'.

Flppedy Floppedy Flip Flop.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Your Klopps/Tuchels and yes, Farkes plus all the successful contimental coaches of the past, all have a little bit of somethng that English coaches generally don't have. Heck, even Scottish managers often have something extra that english managers lack. Mark Robins might have something, but there are very very few English managers who are special - unless you consider Bruce/Pulis/Allerdyce/Dyche types to be good - but they are more anti-football types of manager.

Wilder? Smith? There are some quite good ones, but not special.  Venables/Hoddle even Keegan had something, but then they spent time abroad widening their horizons.  Hodgson too learned alot by going abroad. 

Ok, I expect you'll come back with examples of those who you think are good, whatever, but there is a reason why hardly any English managers cut it at the top level - and it is something to do with the culture and upbringing.  Not self loathing at all, it's just the way it is.

This club has always been a club of the community. Mangers who have been successful at Norwich have generally bought into that community spirit. There are other clubs similar to us but it’s probable we are the most successful of them in football terms - that’s what sets us apart. Selling our soul to the media circus is not the direction I would like our club to take, and I really hope that we don’t. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Your Klopps/Tuchels and yes, Farkes plus all the successful contimental coaches of the past, all have a little bit of somethng that English coaches generally don't have. Heck, even Scottish managers often have something extra that english managers lack. Mark Robins might have something, but there are very very few English managers who are special - unless you consider Bruce/Pulis/Allerdyce/Dyche types to be good - but they are more anti-football types of manager.

Wilder? Smith? There are some quite good ones, but not special.  Venables/Hoddle even Keegan had something, but then they spent time abroad widening their horizons.  Hodgson too learned alot by going abroad. 

Ok, I expect you'll come back with examples of those who you think are good, whatever, but there is a reason why hardly any English managers cut it at the top level - and it is something to do with the culture and upbringing.  Not self loathing at all, it's just the way it is.

Can't believe you missed Bobby Robson. 

Are Bruce, Pulis, Allardce, Dyche inherently anti-football or is there a degree of pragmatism involved where they have small budgets and therefore know they can't be purists or too precious about getting the ball down and playing against teams full of £30m players? I mean, Pulis is definitely anti-football, but Dyche just doing the beat he can with the resources at his disposal surely?

I remember when Steve McClaren went over to Holland, a supposedly sophisticated league, and led Twente to the Eredivisie title over the likes of Ajax and PSV. Didn't Hodgson have a fair amount of success overseas too? I feel like it's a bit of a myth that English managers are inadequate, they just aren't in fashion. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Spot on @astro and I think it's why replacing Farke seems like a hard ask, as he really got the atmosphere of the club and bought into it, and if anything improved it. The ethos he instilled on and off the pitch was remarkable and it's certainly big boots to fill to whoever comes in. I can see someone like Smith thriving in that kind of environment, less so Lampy but we'll see. Whoever they deem to be the right person for the job, we'll all get behind even if they weren't our first choice. At the end of the day, as long as they do a good job on the pitch the rest doesn't really matter so much but we'll see.

Hope Frank doesn’t come on here to get the mood of the supporters.

Not sure what he’s done wrong in life that so many feel the need to get weirdly and vocally bent out of shape about him potentially being our next manager.

The way people are talking about the idea you’d think we were looking at his dad not him.

1 hour ago, Rhino1 said:

Don't worry. When we appoint Russell Martin normality will return. The epitome of building our own, doing different and developing our own talent. 

I think its bull we have done things differently. Maybe differently to the half dozen or so clubs that dominate English football but for goodness sake we are no different to the dozens of clubs in the three divisions below who are on tight budgets and caught up in the ever increasing cost of paying players wages that are tied to the top clubs.

There is this idea that we are special. Yes to us we are but there are hundreds of thousands of supporters out there who are equally convinced their club is unique.

So lets cut the carp about how marvellous Delia is, how wonderful our support is and aren't we unique. We happen to be a football club that we, you and I, love and don't care about others.

The idea that we should put the feelings of a manager before the benefit of the club is baffling to me. So we should continue plundering towards relegation because sacking the manager is mean and might hurt his feelings? Dry up ffs!

Dragging out a managers dead man walking period has never ended well for us or whoever the manager is, we've actually been brave and proactive for once, it makes a nice change. The replacement argument is a different one, but Farke's time had come like it does with all managers and it was the right decision to let him go. While I'm not thrilled with the prospect of Lampard I'll admit I am happy we're not going down the same route we usually would by employing Russell Martin or Paul Warne out of sentiment.

5 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I am happy we're not going down the same route we usually would by employing Russell Martin or Paul Warne out of sentiment.

How do we know the club are not considering either of these two? There's no confirmed evidence they have been talking with Lampard, Smith or Knutsen either! It could easily be someone not even mentioned so far - which wouldn't surprise me.

It may not be Frank Lampard, but the message is the same, we have lost our way. A midlife crisis, somebody married 5 years, thinking the grass is greener, it’s looking increasingly like it’s not ! A shambles of decision to get rid of Daniel, handled in a totally lack of respect way, and a shambles of a succession plan !!!!