Sign in to follow this  
Naturalcynic

BBC article

Nothing there to argue with . Sutton and Eadie are right . How can you disagree? 

We’ve spent money . That about as far as you can be positive . 

Seeing those  long balls yesterday was depressing . we’ve never played like that under Farke and don’t have the players. It’s a continual handing over of possession. 

The status quo isn’t working . We looked like matchstick men at times . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Whether you 'stick or twist' you're not just gambling with this season as there is no guarantee that City will come straight back up with the current squad many of whom will have to leave anyway. It's a huge decision and personally I'd give Farke another few games. Of course there is the bigger issue of the ownership and funding but that is unlikely to change anytime soon. 

35 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Seeing those  long balls yesterday was depressing . we’ve never played like that under Farke and don’t have the players. It’s a continual handing over of possession

The ironic thing is the “ get it forward “ gang have been asking for this for the last four years. People round me were saying it yesterday and then moaned when it didn’t work. We just haven’t got the players to play that way.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Whether you 'stick or twist' you're not just gambling with this season as there is no guarantee that City will come straight back up with the current squad many of whom will have to leave anyway. It's a huge decision and personally I'd give Farke another few games. Of course there is the bigger issue of the ownership and funding but that is unlikely to change anytime soon. 

I'd give him longer too. He is trying to find the right mix of players and tactics for what he has. This season was always going to be tough and even if we change manager now, the likelihood - or even certainty - is that whoever came in would have exactly the same problems and we would be no better off.  Daniel IS proven at championship level so if we are to go down, I'd rather he was there than anyone else. 

Anyway, I for one haven't given up on this season and Daniel knows the players more than any incomer might have, so if he stays, as I hope he will, we will improve. Football is a funny game and anything can happen. Sometimes when things seem at their worst, it can bring the best out of people. We're still stuttering, but sooner or later some things will start to click and once confidence returns, who knows how well we could do.

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'd give him longer too. He is trying to find the right mix of players and tactics for what he has. This season was always going to be tough and even if we change manager now, the likelihood - or even certainty - is that whoever came in would have exactly the same problems and we would be no better off.  Daniel IS proven at championship level so if we are to go down, I'd rather he was there than anyone else. 

Anyway, I for one haven't given up on this season and Daniel knows the players more than any incomer might have, so if he stays, as I hope he will, we will improve. Football is a funny game and anything can happen. Sometimes when things seem at their worst, it can bring the best out of people. We're still stuttering, but sooner or later some things will start to click and once confidence returns, who knows how well we could do.

You must be either a brilliant wind up merchant or blind.

The current bunch of misfits are never going to "gel" for one simple reason, they aren't good enough!

The club purchased a group of 3rd rate players from 3rd rate leagues who are now way out of their depth.

A change of manager now and a couple of shrewd purchases in January could maybe save our season but we are only going in one direction under DF.

1 minute ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

You must be either a brilliant wind up merchant or blind.

The current bunch of misfits are never going to "gel" for one simple reason, they aren't good enough!

The club purchased a group of 3rd rate players from 3rd rate leagues who are now way out of their depth.

People were saying exactly the same in his second champioship season when we had a poor start. Exactly the same. We won the league.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

People were saying exactly the same in his second champioship season when we had a poor start. Exactly the same. We won the league.

That was off the back of a poor final phase of the season in the PL but we had looked decent before then, plus the retention of Buendia and loan of Skipp was absolutely critical.

This time feels difference. If it’s not just a final run of games but the entire of season of awful awful form, without any stand out players to drag us out of the championship. How could he turn it around? What players out there are going to want to stay to help us out? They all looked shell shocked and defeated yesterday after the game, it was depressing to see. 

Genuinely spooked that anyone thinks we can just go again under Farke and bounce back. It would be nothing short of a miracle for us to win the title next year under him if we keep going like this. 

58 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

The ironic thing is the “ get it forward “ gang have been asking for this for the last four years. People round me were saying it yesterday and then moaned when it didn’t work. We just haven’t got the players to play that way.

I thought exactly the same thing yesterday! Some people have been moaning for ages about "messing about at the back" and urging us to "get it forward." When they get their wishes they moan as we lost possession nearly every time.

However the fact that the team and Farke seems to have resorted to these tactics suggest that they have no confidence in the way that we have traditionally played.

I rate Farke highly but somewhere he has taken a wrong turn and I am struggling to see how he can turn it around.

47 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'll look forward to the champions league next year then.

We have 28 games left.

Surely, the powers that be don't expect us to tolerate the same level of dross for the remainder of the season that we just witnessed in the first 10 games.

Edited by Making Plans

One thing we did get right yesterday was a great inswinging corner kick and classic header. These goals are essential for small teams at top level. As is the occasional 40 yard crossfield pass.

43 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Genuinely spooked that anyone thinks we can just go again under Farke and bounce back. It would be nothing short of a miracle for us to win the title next year under him if we keep going like this. 

Yeah I agree. We'll go down with an inherent advantage due to parachute money but if we finish the season with, hypothetically, 2 or 3 wins and 10-15 points, confidence is going to be absolutely shot. We won't have the excuses of an injury crisis, lack of signings and project restart to hide behind either.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Agree completely. Mr “Stop p1ssing around with it” sits near me . I think he sits near everyone . Poor Adam came on for his usual cameo , a lad that has been playing the ball on the ground throughout his career with us and suddenly was asked to become Grant Holt . 

Farke couldn't turn it round two years ago, why does anyone think he can turn it around this season? The embarrassment of 10 defeats on the spin and 1 goal scored took a break, some new faces and a few games in the Champs to recover from.

He has clearly tried. Abandoning keepball, switching formations, dropping skilful players in favour of more physical ones, playing hoofball etc. None of it has worked. 

We've coached all our players to keep the ball for the last 4 years, now we are asking them to lump it?

The difference is having options. There is no one to take the ball from our defenders; no one dropping deep or wide to give options; no one having any kind of freedom.

PLM and Gilmore are our two best ball retainers, along with Normann, and that should be our midfield. 

Hanley and Andrew O are our best centre backs. Krul is our best goalkeeper. Aarons and Giannoulis our best full backs (unless Byram ever gets fit).

Cantwell is our best 10. Pukki is still our best striker. 

Add Rashica or Tzolis for width and that should be our team.

Let's get back to what we do; relax, and play.

• Like 1

Of the people that are hanging on to DF turning things around i think a large chunk think like that as he has always come across as a very decent guy .

Im one of them, well was.

I think he is fantastic but not got enough to get things going again. That and the players brought in are basically just not good enough. Yesterday told me that.

I dont think a new manager would save us but i do think he ( she ? ) would be enough to save us from the hell that would be taking away Derby's record.

28 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Hanley and Andrew O are our best centre backs. Krul is our best goalkeeper. Aarons and Giannoulis our best full backs (unless Byram ever gets fit).

Byram seems to be back in training, I wonder if he's anywhere near taking the LB slot? Can't imagine throwing him into the current storm after so long out is going to work but surely he's a better shout than a CB. It is kinda crazy that neither Giannoulous or Williams are deemed 1st choice.

23 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Farke couldn't turn it round two years ago, why does anyone think he can turn it around this season? The embarrassment of 10 defeats on the spin and 1 goal scored took a break, some new faces and a few games in the Champs to recover from.

He has clearly tried. Abandoning keepball, switching formations, dropping skilful players in favour of more physical ones, playing hoofball etc. None of it has worked. 

We've coached all our players to keep the ball for the last 4 years, now we are asking them to lump it?

The difference is having options. There is no one to take the ball from our defenders; no one dropping deep or wide to give options; no one having any kind of freedom.

PLM and Gilmore are our two best ball retainers, along with Normann, and that should be our midfield. 

Cantwell is our best 10. Pukki is still our best striker. 

Add Rashica or Tzolis for width and that should be our team.

Let's get back to what we do; relax, and play.

Appreciate your posts!   Spot on.   Fundamentally we’ve failed to address the CDM position, our engine!    McLean has never been good enough to take the ball and progress us forwards.   

You are spot on with the basics, pick our best players, stick to the philosophy, except against the top teams where we should be parking the bus and going long, try for 0-0, keep the confidence. Idah probably better option than Pukki in that scenario to hold it up and run channels.  
We do need to get our identity back.   That way it will be easier for the new players to fit in.