Sign in to follow this  
urdie_Canary

Webber / The fans, the p*ss taking chanting etc..

I listened to Webber this morning, he's realistic and level headed which I think a few people could learn from. 

He mentioned the chanting of certain songs, I was at Chelsea on Saturday and for the first time watching Norwich I was actually embarrassed to be a Norwich fan (shocking performance aside) with the chanting and behaviour of the fans.

I sat in front of 3 of the biggest helmets on the planet who were chanting complete nonsensical rubbish for the entire game, embarrassing and cringeworthy. 

The mickey taking chanting I cant be a part of and I find it pathetic and tin pot (mainly from the younger fans I noticed) chants like we are going down, how **** much you be etc, there were a few more which I cant remember off the top of my head. 

By the end of the game I'd say more than half of the away fans were joining in, with the real Norwich fans looking on in embarrassment, which led to a few scuffles / disagreements in the away end.  I don't get why we would want to chanting songs about our club that takes the p*ss out of us. 

Result was tough to take and a disgraceful performance, but I walked out of there thinking what a bunch of tinpot fans we have.... sad times. 

As i said on another thread once you have lost the away support your days are numbered and Saturday was the start.

We’ve lost the ball we’ve lost the ball we’ve lost the ball, we got the ball we’ve lost the ball 

ah memories 

5 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

We’ve lost the ball we’ve lost the ball we’ve lost the ball, we got the ball we’ve lost the ball 

ah memories 

that one was pretty good, 

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

As i said on another thread once you have lost the away support your days are numbered and Saturday was the start.

be more than happy to loose most of them in general, absolute cringefest in the away end 

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Without fans and chants football is nothing.

correct, but there is chanting to help the team and chanting to make us look tinpot...

26 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

ah memories 

This was good old fashioned Gallows Humour . We are 6 nil down and those that are left in the ground raised a smile by chanting this . Along with “your nothing special , we lose every week”

Im afraid it could have been a hell of a lot worse . I don’t know what Webber thinks the fans should have done? A rousing rendition of OTBC ?

Reality check required . 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

be more than happy to loose most of them in general, absolute cringefest in the away end 

In that case if things do not our way on Sunday Carrow Road may not be the place for you.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

correct, but there is chanting to help the team and chanting to make us look tinpot...

You may think it tinpot, but other clubs fans admire a sense of humour! 

Something has to change, if you are 2-0 down within 15 minutes at the Champions of Europe and it is not happening on the pitch, with no prospect of it happening on the pitch, then to purse teeth and accept it, the rest of the football world would see that as tinpot!   

And yes, I am in favour of fans boo-ing when they have paid good money and expect some fight and effort from the players on the pitch but see **** all!

• Like 3

Just another example of how people see things differently. I must admit I have always loved the dark humour of the terraces. Instantaneous songs about what the fans are watching is better than any premeditated chant.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, urdie_Canary said:

I listened to Webber this morning, he's realistic and level headed which I think a few people could learn from. 

He mentioned the chanting of certain songs, I was at Chelsea on Saturday and for the first time watching Norwich I was actually embarrassed to be a Norwich fan (shocking performance aside) with the chanting and behaviour of the fans.

I sat in front of 3 of the biggest helmets on the planet who were chanting complete nonsensical rubbish for the entire game, embarrassing and cringeworthy. 

The mickey taking chanting I cant be a part of and I find it pathetic and tin pot (mainly from the younger fans I noticed) chants like we are going down, how **** much you be etc, there were a few more which I cant remember off the top of my head. 

By the end of the game I'd say more than half of the away fans were joining in, with the real Norwich fans looking on in embarrassment, which led to a few scuffles / disagreements in the away end.  I don't get why we would want to chanting songs about our club that takes the p*ss out of us. 

Result was tough to take and a disgraceful performance, but I walked out of there thinking what a bunch of tinpot fans we have.... sad times. 

Personally I think calling people tinpot is, errr, tinpot.

2 hours ago, urdie_Canary said:

I agree with you. 

The fake, OTT celebration, when Mount missed the first penalty attempt was embarrassing too. Yes, in some circumstances, taking the p!ss out yourself / team can make for good humour - But we really don't need any self-help in the laughing stock stakes right now. 

It's a vail some fans use to try and make the opposition fans believe we're not really that bothered.. so sing what you want at us, we'll even sing it ourselves, it's water off a ducks back, so you aren't getting one up on us.  Reality is though, it's fake and does hurt being so sh!t. 

We need to be vociferous about our current predicament. Whether that's in support of the team or not, is another question. 

24 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Which is worse - Tinpot or Binner? 

A Tinpot Binner

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Without fans and chants football is nothing.

Exactly this. Football supporters are the club who cannot do without the fans, and owners are mere custodians.

43 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Exactly this. Football supporters are the club who cannot do without the fans, and owners are mere custodians.

And this is the of the true good things about our club, it is actually community based for the most part. Fans income however doesn't enable a club to survive anymore. Any man u, Liverpool, arsenal, Chelsea could quite easily bin off all of their fans and still fill a ground with daytrippers. Sure, the atmosphere would suffer but the finances wouldn't. 

So Webber wants fans to lose their gallows humour too? Modern football really is becoming a stale and depressing state. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

In that case if things do not our way on Sunday Carrow Road may not be the place for you.

How about everyone that isn't prepared to get behind the lads whatever happens on Sunday just keep away - obviously not worth watching anyway, just leave it to those that want to get behind the team......

Just now, ged in the onion bag said:

How about everyone that isn't prepared to get behind the lads whatever happens on Sunday just keep away - obviously not worth watching anyway, just leave it to those that want to get behind the team......

Well if you are suggesting that the place might just look like Scum HQ with a half empty stadium and before you reply let me just tell you that those involved in the chants on Saturday were in my opinion mainly Barclay Lower occupants.

On 28/10/2021 at 19:03, TIL 1010 said:

Well if you are suggesting that the place might just look like Scum HQ with a half empty stadium and before you reply let me just tell you that those involved in the chants on Saturday were in my opinion mainly Barclay Lower occupants.

Better half full than a negative atmosphere that gets us nowhere and potentially destroys everything they have been working for.  
How do you lot think Farke feels right now?   Anxious, hesitant, worried.   He’s done nothing to deserve that.    He’s got a squad of players who are new, had to put up with COVID, difficult fixtures and so many new players he’s got an impossible task!   We know he’s made mistakes, that’s not in doubt but give him a break.
No new manager is going to keep us up and none will be able to develop the players we have better than Farke so yes, stay away if your not prepared to support them!    

Edited by ged in the onion bag

22 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Better half full than a negative atmosphere that gets us nowhere and potentially destroys everything they have been working for.  
How do you lot think Farke feels right now?   Anxious, hesitant, worried.   He’s done nothing to deserve that.    He’s got a squad of players who are new, had to put up with COVID, difficult fixtures and so many new players he’s got an impossible task!   We know he’s made mistakes, that’s not in doubt but give him a break.
No new manager is going to keep us up and none will be able to develop the players we have better than Farke so yes, stay away if your not prepared to support them!    

You do realised that half this squad of new players get nil or virtually no game time ?

Every single club in the land has been affected by Covid.

By no new manager will keep us up sounds like you are accepting relegation.

Now off out in the wind and rain to get to the game and for the avoidance of doubt i will be the first on my feet and applaud a win but if we get yet another abject display i will let my feelings be known. Quite happy to be branded however you wish to describe me and just to let you know i have my Brentford and Spurs ticket and looking towards the date West Ham go on sale. Don't tell me to stay away.

4 players today were regulars last season.   They aren’t ready, none of them whether playing or on the bench!  It’s too much to expect them to step up.   Expect the effort absolutely, but you surely can’t expect them to win in this level of competition.    Farke is being asked to work miracles but these players have no EPL experience and / or are not good enough yet.   They need months not next match!  

Farke is firefighting as his team today suggests, there seems no identity to it, he’s just hoping something works and sadly it’s unlikely.   He’d be better off going back to 4-2-3-1 and picking as many players used to that system then feeding in the new lads. 

I’m not accepting relegation, but it seems inevitable with this group, unless over time they can click…. It might happen from hear today, let’s hope so.   
I never branded you or described you in any way.   Just making an observation that it’s unreasonable to expect anything other than lots of effort from this group.  Any points are a bonus and hopefully will be a catalyst.    Giving them grief if they work hard but are losing is of no help!   

On 28/10/2021 at 10:39, urdie_Canary said:

Yet without those fans there would be no noise at all. I’ve sat in areas of the N&P and Jarrold this season and I’m surrounded by over 60s who sit on their hands in their duffel coats in complete silence. They refuse to stand or sing.

So yes the sarcastic chants are an attempt to act like we don’t care how crap we are. But I’d rather some noise than none and if those fans who chant stay away Carrow Road will be completely soulless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

4 players today were regulars last season.   They aren’t ready, none of them whether playing or on the bench!  It’s too much to expect them to step up.   Expect the effort absolutely, but you surely can’t expect them to win in this level of competition.    Farke is being asked to work miracles but these players have no EPL experience and / or are not good enough yet.   They need months not next match!  

Farke is firefighting as his team today suggests, there seems no identity to it, he’s just hoping something works and sadly it’s unlikely.   He’d be better off going back to 4-2-3-1 and picking as many players used to that system then feeding in the new lads. 

I’m not accepting relegation, but it seems inevitable with this group, unless over time they can click…. It might happen from hear today, let’s hope so.   
I never branded you or described you in any way.   Just making an observation that it’s unreasonable to expect anything other than lots of effort from this group.  Any points are a bonus and hopefully will be a catalyst.    Giving them grief if they work hard but are losing is of no help!   

It’s odd. All of you now saying we should have never expected to stay up were adamant we would easily stay up at the start of the season 

On 28/10/2021 at 18:59, ged in the onion bag said:

Except there aren’t any… those who don’t like the booing never sing or make any noise anyway. They just sit on their hand in their coats telling people to Be quiet and sit down 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigGrantsTash said:

It’s odd. All of you now saying we should have never expected to stay up were adamant we would easily stay up at the start of the season 

Don’t think you’ll find a quote from me to that effect!    You won’t!   I knew we couldn’t bring so many players in at once and expect it to work.   Losing Buendia was fatal sadly.    We never addressed the central midfield, I harped on we needed 3 players of quality, with power, pace and athleticism when we got relegated the first time.   We addressed it with a loan player last season, e.g, we never addressed it and this window I said the same and all we have is Normann, another loan.   I also said McLean was not good enough for this league on relegation and was no better now!    

Impossible to make a new team gel if the parts have no experience of the EPL and it’s intensity and are mainly still developing as players.   This league is brutal and sadly SW has got in wrong again, these players may be ready in two years time, we needed players who can play now.   Not that it’s easy by any stretch.    

Despite that, I would prefer to stick with what we have at least to develop the players we have got, I’d have the loan players except Normann as squad players, go back to 4-2-3-1 and get our identity back…. See where it goes from there!   

Not reasonable to badge me in the ‘all of you’ bracket since all my views are my own based on what I see, not what I hear from elsewhere!

5 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I'm not accepting relegation either. But we have to stop the DF after match criticism of his players and then defending them.

Its about his decision making always. He is heaped with tributes so has to accept the brickbats. I do not believe he has a clue what team he will play against Brentford. It will change, it has to but its down to him to change it for the better.