Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Football in the 70's

Rumour had it that we hadn't paid the fee when Johnny Miller scored the goals that knocked the binners out of the league cup in the quarter finals shortly after he signedย 

Keith Bertschin did a similar thing in the FA cup a few years later. Although he came here via Birmingham.

Its always been the gift that keeps giving....

Edited by nutty nigel

Stan Bowles and the FA cup trophy

Just after Sunderland had beaten Leeds at Wembley...

โ€œTo the bemusement of the Sunderland defence, I suddenly turn back and start running towards my own goal. Now the defenders werenโ€™t sure whether to follow me in case Iโ€™m drawing them out of position.

โ€œTo confuse everyone โ€“ my own team-mates, the Sunderland players and the crowd โ€“ I then start running across the pitch, feigning a couple of times as if Iโ€™m going to launch a ball into the box. Then, when Iโ€™m close enough, I blast a fierce left-footed shot directly into the Cup. I knock it off the table."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can you name them?

DbrxbseXcAAXWde.jpg

Name them, I used to train with them every day. Some solid men and players, some weak.

Dougieย Livermore, Charlie Boyerย Dav Stringer, ย top boys.

Kenny Brown also.

ย 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Howard is Suggett.

Yep, should have known that, my all time favourite playerย 

3 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

John Bond, Machin, Miller, Forbes, Hansbury Keelan, Peters, Powell, Stringer, , Livermore, Ken Brown.

Morris, Howard, Kevin Bond, Butler, Neighbour, MacDougal, Boyer

**** - null point for that effort.๐Ÿ˜†

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Probably our best era and I missed most of it living in New Zealand.

It was good but went to another level in the following decade.ย 

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't think modern players would survive back then..

u6EonlpOxsCucnbv.jpg

But the seventies players would have no chance with the pace and athleticism of the modern game.

6 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Without a doubt the best era for football. Bar none.

Let me guess, that was when you were young. Itโ€™s always the same for each generation.

13 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

But the seventies players would have no chance with the pace and athleticism of the modern game.

No but the current players would have no chance against the 70s players on those pitches with their boots etc. They probably wouldn't make it to HT. And then be injured for weeks.

This is why such comparisons are useless.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

No but the current players would have no chance against the 70s players on those pitches with their boots etc. They probably wouldn't make it to HT. And then be injured for weeks.

This is why such comparisons are useless.

Agree that comparisons are useless. Agree about the equipment, you wouldnโ€™t want to kick an old wet ball in what is basically a glorified sock. Not sure about the injuries though, the strength and conditioning work that the players do now is streets ahead of where it was. If you put a player from now into the equipment from then, I reckon theyโ€™d be ok. Likewise, I think if you took an elite player like a Moore, Best, Beckenbauer or Charlton at a young age and transferred them to the modern day and put them in all the gear and gave them all the fitness and dietary advice, theyโ€™d still stand out.

If you just lifted Moore or Best and all the fags and booze etc and put them into the modern day theyโ€™d get mullered.ย 

7 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Agree that comparisons are useless. Agree about the equipment, you wouldnโ€™t want to kick an old wet ball in what is basically a glorified sock. Not sure about the injuries though, the strength and conditioning work that the players do now is streets ahead of where it was. If you put a player from now into the equipment from then, I reckon theyโ€™d be ok. Likewise, I think if you took an elite player like a Moore, Best, Beckenbauer or Charlton at a young age and transferred them to the modern day and put them in all the gear and gave them all the fitness and dietary advice, theyโ€™d still stand out.

If you just lifted Moore or Best and all the fags and booze etc and put them into the modern day theyโ€™d get mullered.ย 

Yes they would but they are conditioned to play in the conditions they play in.

The best way I can explain what I mean would be to imagine a Derby winner in the Grand National. Both are fit but for different conditions.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes they would but they are conditioned to play in the conditions they play in.

The best way I can explain what I mean would be to imagine a Derby winner in the Grand National. Both are fit but for different conditions.

But if you transported them back there, with todayโ€™s methods, technology and training, theyโ€™d get used to it.

I mean, if youโ€™re just going Marty McFly in the DeLorean and dropping in on the day,ย ย then the players from now would be shoite then and the players from then would look like pub players now.

Jesse Owens wouldnโ€™t even get near an Olympics in that scenario.ย 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

But if you transported them back there, with todayโ€™s methods, technology and training, theyโ€™d get used to it.

I mean, if youโ€™re just going Marty McFly in the DeLorean and dropping in on the day,ย ย then the players from now would be shoite then and the players from then would look like pub players now.

Jesse Owens wouldnโ€™t even get near an Olympics in that scenario.ย 

Thats my point why we can't do it. We'd have to have them born in whichever era and have the same advantages / disadvantages.

Its all a bit like expecting Chase to qualify for the champions League...

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Thats my point why we can't do it. We'd have to have them born in whichever era and have the same advantages / disadvantages.

โ€œThere is nobody, at this club, with more ambition than meโ€ฆโ€

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I guess in football terms, somebody roughly in the middle of two eras could have excelled in both? Maradona? Admittedly he played in the 70s but peaked mid-late 80s and was still about in 94 when pitches had โ€œbegunโ€ to improve.ย 

Just now, Duncan Edwards said:

I guess in football terms, somebody roughly in the middle of two eras could have excelled in both? Maradona? Admittedly he played in the 70s but peaked mid-late 80s and was still about in 94 when pitches had โ€œbegunโ€ to improve.ย 

I reckon.ย 

How do you think our late great buddy Trevor Hockey would cope. He played against the best in the world in his day.

๐Ÿ™ƒ

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I reckon.ย 

How do you think our late great buddy Trevor Hockey would cope. He played against the best in the world in his day.

๐Ÿ™ƒ

I doubt heโ€™d have thought much of VAR.ย 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

John Bond, Machin, Miller, Forbes, Hansbury Keelan, Peters, Powell, Stringer, , Livermore, Ken Brown.

Morris, Howard, Kevin Bond, Butler, Neighbour, MacDougal, Boyer

Geez you had quite a few wrong ! it's

Back row: John Bond, Machin, Miller, Forbes, Hansbury, Keelan, Peters, Powell, Stringer, Livermore, Ken Brown.

Front: Morris, Colin Suggettย (not Howard) , Billy Steele (not Kevin Bond), Colin Sullivan (not Butler), Steve Grapes (not Neighbour) Mick McGuire (not MacDougall), Boyer

ย 

2 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Back row: John Bond, Machin, Miller, Forbes, Hansbury, Keelan, Peters, Powell, Stringer, Livermore, Ken Brown.

Front: Morris, Colin Suggettย (not Howard) , Billy Steele (not Kevin Bond), Colin Sullivan (not Butler), Steve Grapes (not Neighbour) Mick McGuire (not MacDougall), Boyer

ย 

Five players and coachesย in that picture wereย with John Bond atย Bournemouth andย it soon increased to 10, can you name all 10?

They even brought the black and red kit which they wanted Norwich to play in.ย It obviously didnโ€™t happen, although it was used for training.

ย 

ย 

I got all the names but couldn't work out the season.

So much experience thereย which is seriously lacking with the current squad.

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

I got all the names but couldn't work out the season.

So much experience thereย which is seriously lacking with the current squad.

1974/75

5 hours ago, Six Pack said:

ย 

Old age catching up

9 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

ย 

Modern day players are on Playstations which is worse than booze.ย