Since the club seems to be in crisis, I think the time to be gentle regarding Cantwell is over. He's a professional footballer, not some 16-year-old ingenue.

How do people read this? Do they think he genuinely has personal problems? Or is he just screwing the club to get a move away, or, even worse, actively spreading poison in the dressing room? Lots of people on here want him back in the team as soon as possible, some want him out of the club. What is your take on this?

One, I dont think the club is in a crisis. Derby is a club in crisis. Our first team football is just ****. That’s all. 

Two, I don’t really care about Todd. If he gets on in training then he deserves to play. If he wants to leave in Jan or next summer it’s his choice. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

One, I dont think the club is in a crisis. Derby is a club in crisis. Our first team football is just ****. That’s all. 

Two, I don’t really care about Todd. If he gets on in training then he deserves to play. If he wants to leave in Jan or next summer it’s his choice. 

It matters if he's deliberately stirring up trouble, like he did last season.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'crisis'

If you call playing **** football a crisis not sure what you would call clubs like Bury or Derby..

I agree it's not as bad as Bury or Derby, but we're talking about our whole idea we've built up over the last four years being over. Farke goes, Webber goes, the whole thing's over, and we go back to being a boring championship club or join Ipswich even lower.

32 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

It matters if he's deliberately stirring up trouble, like he did last season.

Cantwell is not good enough for the PL. let’s get £10m in January plus a decent sell on and invest in some players for next season. 

1 minute ago, Jersey Canary said:

Cantwell is not good enough for the PL. let’s get £10m in January plus a decent sell on and invest in some players for next season. 

Wow, strong opinion. I disagree. I think he's good enough for the bottom half of the PL. He's just not as good as he thinks he is, and he wants out because he thinks Liverpool or Arsenal will come in for him. And he plays for himself, not for the team.

5 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

He could be, but something's not right.

Whether it lies within the boundaries of the club's existence or within the boy is not clear.

I hadn't heard that he was a stirrer in the changing rooms. That surprises me if true.

What was he like at school?

Like everyone, I don't know if he is disruptive. All I'm trying to do is provide some sort of balance. Everyone on here is attacking Farke and saying how rubbish he is, but no one is asking why Cantwell is refusing to play for us and screwing us over exactly the same as he did at the start of last season. He's got away with it because it's 'personal problems'. Very convenient.

58 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

How do we get £10m if he is not good enough for the PL

perhaps he is not as good as he thinks he is?

The way I read him as a player is that he has a lot of technical ability but he isn't willing to submerge his own ego for the good of the team. Really great players - e.g. Ronaldo - can get away with being like that, relatively limited players like Cantwell can't. My guess is that there was a gentleman's agreement last year with Todd and Emi that they could leave if they helped us get promoted and an offer over 30m came in. When the offer came in for Emi and not for him, Cantwell didn't have the self-awareness to realise there was a reason for that, and decide he needed to work harder. He got sulky, because he imagined he was just as talented as Emi, when he was miles and miles behind.

1 hour ago, Bradwell canary said:

How do we get £10m if he is not good enough for the PL

perhaps he is not as good as he thinks he is?

£10m is nothing these days. 

I think personally he’s wondering what the funk is going on and why we’ve abandoned the football we used to play to play utter long ball dross. He’s probably said as much to Farke and got the boot for not being a team player 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

When the offer came in for Emi and not for him, Cantwell didn't have the self-awareness to realise there was a reason for that, and decide he needed to work harder. He got sulky, because he imagined he was just as talented as Emi, when he was miles and miles behind.

Wow, incredible this. Where did you read that?

1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Wow, incredible this. Where did you read that?

As i said at the start of the post, 'As I read it'. I admitted that I was guessing, but I think the evidence supports me. 1) There were issues last season 2) He has downed tools again 3) By anyone's reckoning Emi is way more talented than him 4) Cantwell has a desire to make himself stand out, to be different from/better than his teammates.

10 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I think personally he’s wondering what the funk is going on and why we’ve abandoned the football we used to play to play utter long ball dross. He’s probably said as much to Farke and got the boot for not being a team player 

This is possible, I think, on a more charitable reading of Cantwell's character.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

As i said at the start of the post, 'As I read it'. I admitted that I was guessing, but I think the evidence supports me. 1) There were issues last season 2) He has downed tools again 3) By anyone's reckoning Emi is way more talented than him 4) Cantwell has a desire to make himself stand out, to be different from/better than his teammates.

1) Which issues? The same ones Emi had? 2) Has he? Link please. 
3) Nobody would dispute that

4) Does he? Link please. 

Just seems like you have a bit of a downer on him. 

2 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

He is good enough for the PL but hasn't shown it this season. Farke needs to get Todd back onboard asap otherwise there will be no £10m. We have a contract extension option for him but absolutely no point paying £25k a week to play him in the U23s.

2 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Ah, the old sell and buy better routine - not sure that’s been working recently....

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I tend to agree. He was out in a position for the opening games that doesn’t really suit him, then dropped at Arsenal just prior to this all starting up. I have no doubt there has been a personal issue as well as claimed but I suspect were we still playing the old formation and he was in the side he would have come straight back in and this little episode would not be happening. 

3 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Of course he is. Or at least he's closer to it than any other player we have in his position. He scored 6 goals in a very low scoring team last time in the Prem.

30 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Of course he is. Or at least he's closer to it than any other player we have in his position. He scored 6 goals in a very low scoring team last time in the Prem.

That was two years ago. He was culpable for as many goals conceded as she scored. 

Cantwell should have ripped up the. Championship last season like Buendia did and he had an average season at best. He’s not PL class at the moment and his current attitude says that he won’t be going forwards. 

11 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

That was two years ago. He was culpable for as many goals conceded as she scored. 

Cantwell should have ripped up the. Championship last season like Buendia did and he had an average season at best. He’s not PL class at the moment and his current attitude says that he won’t be going forwards. 

He was statistically our third highest rated player behind Buendia and Hanley

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He was statistically our third highest rated player behind Buendia and Hanley

Kenny gets some decent ratings in the Championship but I wouldn’t have him anywhere near our team if I had my way, not on EPL or The Championship. 

Those same stats would have Cantwell better rated that 26 goal Pukki?

How many goals did he score last season, how many assists? And now compare against Buendia. There’s no comparison. Cantwell was average last season, he had a neutral season the season before by the time you factor in the culpable goals against he was responsible for. Admittedly the goals were a surprising bonus but he hasn’t kicked on in fact I’d say he’s gone backwards.

More tricks and flicks, no goals and assists. 

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

He is good enough for the PL but hasn't shown it this season. Farke needs to get Todd back onboard asap otherwise there will be no £10m. We have a contract extension option for him but absolutely no point paying £25k a week to play him in the U23s.

He has more talent than Billy Gilmour 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

He has more talent than Billy Gilmour 

It would be helpful all round if we played Gilmore behind Pukki in a 4231 formation and we’ll see a better Gilmore more akin to what we would expect. If Cantwell gets his professional hat on and knuckles down then who knows. He may go to the next level but as things stand Gilmore all the way over Cantwell. 

What i know of Todd he is very hard working and had to be to get to where he is in the past 

but i also think he is Very Emotional , 

i think he has had something going on at home private others have said family member ill etc 

That can effect people in many different ways , 

he does not help himself on social media and says strange things at strange times 

i half expected something after the chelsea game !!!

8 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Rubbish. But just suppose you’re right, who do you think would pay if he wasn’t good enough??

4 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Freudian slip it TVB mark 2?

14 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

There’s no point in paying him £25k pw if he’s not playing and sulking. Sell in January get what we can and move on.