8 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Rubbish. But just suppose you’re right, who do you think would pay if he wasn’t good enough??

There’s always a Villa, Leeds, Newcastle who might take a pint on him as a squad player with the hope they can get a tune out of him. If they can they will have a £3 plus player on their hands. 

I can imagine in 10 years time we’ll look back at Cantwell’s career and it’ll be very similar to Ross Barkeley. Very talented on his day but not enough days to make him a top top player. He’ll end up being a journeyman. Playing for many clubs, not really settling down and getting in with the day job and thus not fulfilling his potential. 

12 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Kenny gets some decent ratings in the Championship but I wouldn’t have him anywhere near our team if I had my way, not on EPL or The Championship. 

Those same stats would have Cantwell better rated that 26 goal Pukki?

How many goals did he score last season, how many assists? And now compare against Buendia. There’s no comparison. Cantwell was average last season, he had a neutral season the season before by the time you factor in the culpable goals against he was responsible for. Admittedly the goals were a surprising bonus but he hasn’t kicked on in fact I’d say he’s gone backwards.

More tricks and flicks, no goals and assists. 

Ok, so now we're moving the goalposts.

Cantwell didn't have a 'neutral season' the season before. Let me know which goals he was individually responsible for where no other teammate was to blame in any of it and i'll back down. Otherwise you're talking rubbish.

Cantwell got 6 goals and 6 assists having played 700 less minutes than, for example, Buendia, last season.

I think he's a cracking player and I can't wait to see him back on the pitch. He adds a bit of pazzaz to the team. Not sure why a lot of people have so much negativity towards one of our own. 

Whatever his personal problems have been, they've obviously hit him pretty hard. Far too much is being read into his absence and I wish people would ease up a bit. This is the hundred and fifth thread on Todd in the last 2 weeks! 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Ok, so now we're moving the goalposts.

Cantwell didn't have a 'neutral season' the season before. Let me know which goals he was individually responsible for where no other teammate was to blame in any of it and i'll back down. Otherwise you're talking rubbish.

Cantwell got 6 goals and 6 assists having played 700 less minutes than, for example, Buendia, last season.

Great deflection tactics. You know full well who’s mainly culpable for goals and you’ll know exactly what games I’m talking about and if you were honest and balanced, Cantwell’s PL campaign was hardly a roaring success. If it was someone would have bitten our hands off for a 21 year old Steve MacManaman. They didn’t. Why is this? Because he’s as much a liability as he is a success and that isn’t enough in the PL. throw in a perception of a bad attitude that doesn’t bode well.

Edited by Jersey Canary

Just now, Jersey Canary said:

Great deflection tactics. You know full well who’s mainly culpable for goals and you’ll know exactly what games I’m talking about and if you were honest and balanced, Cantwell’s PL campaign was hardly a roaring success. If it was someone would have bitten our hands off for a 21 year old Steve MacManaman. They didn’t. Why is this? Because he’s as much a liability as he is a success and that isn’t enough in the PL. throw in a perception of a bad attitude that doesn’t bode well.

So you can't tell me which goals then. Ok great. Congratulations on making things up. 

P.S There's a gap between a decent Premier League player and a '21 year old Steve MacManaman'.

3 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

I think he's a cracking player and I can't wait to see him back on the pitch. He adds a bit of pazzaz to the team. Not sure why a lot of people have so much negativity towards one of our own. 

Whatever his personal problems have been, they've obviously hit him pretty hard. Far too much is being read into his absence and I wish people would ease up a bit. This is the hundred and fifth thread on Todd in the last 2 weeks! 

When he’s on form and the team are doing well he’s a luxury we can afford. 

Let’s be honest an unfit or dissatisfied  Cantwell is a significant upgrade on Sargent.

The squad looks disjointed and I doubt that the manager, owners or sporting director know their best 11, formation or tactics.

It is all very sad considering we went up with positivity and should have taken the time to add quality where needed rather than taken a scattergun approach.

Definitely time for a change.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

There’s no point in paying him £25k pw if he’s not playing and sulking. Sell in January get what we can and move on.

True JC, but we don't actually know if he's sulking. In fact we know precious little and can only use conjecture when it comes to assessing the circumstances.

Perhaps this conjecture should be based upon past experiences with the youngster, perhaps it should not.

As I see it, nothing has changed in Cantwell's situation since the beginning of the season, or end of the last window if you like. The only possible variant might have been a serious falling out with Farke, but I doubt this.

"Personal problems" cover a multitude of sins, but Farke was at pains to emphasise the player's Achilles problem and the resultant lack of proper training.

Cantwell has now had a break. He has had a warm-up outing for the U23 team, so let's hope that he is up and ready for Saturday's vital encounter. We need him.

Surely no player voluntarily or happily sits on the sidelines when fit and ready.

It seems to me that the situation might finally be resolved either way on Saturday. The present impasse cannot continue. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

True JC, but we don't actually know if he's sulking. In fact we know precious little and can only use conjecture when it comes to assessing the circumstances.

Perhaps this conjecture should be based upon past experiences with the youngster, perhaps it should not.

As I see it, nothing has changed in Cantwell's situation since the beginning of the season, or end of the last window if you like. The only possible variant might have been a serious falling out with Farke, but I doubt this.

"Personal problems" cover a multitude of sins, but Farke was at pains to emphasise the player's Achilles problem and the resultant lack of proper training.

Cantwell has now had a break. He has had a warm-up outing for the U23 team, so let's hope that he is up and ready for Saturday's vital encounter. We need him.

Surely no player voluntarily or happily sits on the sidelines when fit and ready.

It seems to me that the situation might finally be resolved either way on Saturday. The present impasse cannot continue. 

I agree. 
If it was me I’d play 4231 with Gilmore in the Stiepermann position with Cantwell coming on as sub in the second half. As I’ve said before the only way I see Cantwell adding to our season is by playing further up the pitch where he can do less damage to our defence.  

Really troubled by the vitriol directed toward a young man who is obviously struggling. Truth is none of usreally know what’s going on in his personal life. It’s obviously pretty bad. Yes these guys get v well paid but they are still young lads dealing with massive scrutiny and personal criticism.

on his day he’s a wonderful player who has contributed greatly  to some terrific results in the past. Certainly not time to write him off - I for one hope he gets back in the team and gets back to his previous form

Edited by Normann for Norfolk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

I agree with your first paragraph. I don’t get the absence thing so much (professional players frequently play through the midst of personal issues so I’m struggling to see why it’s become so drawn out snd think there could be more to it - on both sides) but he’s a great player and a local lad and I would like to see him back in the side ASAP.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Normann for Norfolk said:

Really troubled by the vitriol directed toward a young man who is obviously struggling. Truth is none of usreally know what’s going on in his personal life. It’s obviously pretty bad. Yes these guys get v well paid but they are still young lads dealing with massive scrutiny and personal criticism.

on his day he’s a wonderful player who has contributed greatly  to some terrific results in the past. Certainly not time to write him off - I for one hope he gets back in the team and gets back to his previous form

No one is writing him off and on his day he’s very good unfortunately those days seem to be few and far between. 

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I agree with your first paragraph. I don’t get the absence thing so much (professional players frequently play through the midst of personal issues so I’m struggling to see why it’s become so drawn out snd think there could be more to it - on both sides) but he’s a great player and a local lad and I would like to see him back in the side ASAP.

Some people react differently to hard times. Just because he is paid a tonne of money doesn't mean he can just get back on the pitch. 

In our current precarious situation, we need everyone contributing 100% and caring about the team. I didn't see that last season from Cantwell, and I don't see it this. It's not his talent I doubt, it's his attitude.

I've never seen any evidence of Cantwell having a bad attitude. The team have been utterly awful without him. We need to get him back involved as soon as possible.

Some absolute trash on this, most of it utter conjecture or fabrication, some people either can't think for themselves or listen to too many idiots.    Fact is you have absolutely no idea why he isn't in the team and unless you are informed its only a complete fool that writes such garbage.    Back up your opinion, give us some hard facts because as yet there is nothing but your own unevidenced opinions.

Give the lad a break.

Look at it another way...... Daniel comes out last week and says Todd's not ready, not working hard, not committed then goes and picks that 11 on Saturday.    Were they ready, prepared, in the zone?  The lot of them completely embarrassed us and the manager and that's got nothing to do with Todd, although some of you would find a bizarre way to blame him.   

I'd rather take a 50% Cantwell than what we are getting on the park.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yellow_belly said:

Let’s be honest an unfit or dissatisfied  Cantwell is a significant upgrade on Sargent.

The squad looks disjointed and I doubt that the manager, owners or sporting director know their best 11, formation or tactics.

It is all very sad considering we went up with positivity and should have taken the time to add quality where needed rather than taken a scattergun approach.

Definitely time for a change.

In terms of dribbling skill & creativity (& shooting!) he is. But not in terms of strength. And that's where we fail time & time again.

Ruled out again in the press release. Either he has issues and club is being compassionate or else he has fallen out with Farke and there is mutiny behind the scenes. Either way a real shame- we could use his creativity 

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Ruled out again in the press release. Either he has issues and club is being compassionate or else he has fallen out with Farke and there is mutiny behind the scenes. Either way a real shame- we could use his creativity 

We are certainly missing him whatever the reason actually is. Time for Tzolis Rashica and Dowell to step up. Of course, they need to be given the chance to do so.

Real pity he is missing again. I think he is a cracking player. Still if he is upset, he just needs to tell Webber he is not playing again and he will get his required move.

• Like 1

Shame as he really proved his worth last time at this level, if it’s a personal conflict with the staff surely it’s time to clear the air best for  all parties. If it’s something else I really hope he can overcome it soon as we’re certainly missing his creativity.

With Webbers dig at Buendia and this continuous rumour mill surely it doesn’t look to stable behind the scenes.

Edited by Indy

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Real pity he is missing again. I think he is a cracking player. Still if he is upset, he just needs to tell Webber he is not playing again and he will get his required move.

Better than Rashica. Right now rather have Tzolis on one wing and Cantwell on the other..

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 08:48, Normann for Norfolk said:

Well said. A ray of light in a dismal thread. We don't know what's going on and should give him the benefit of the doubt.

If we were going to freeze him out like this then we should have cashed in while he still had a monetary value. That Farke seems to think we can do without one of our best attacking players speaks volumes about his mindset.

I can't see the team turning things around without a fundamental shift back towards a balanced team. Our style and identity have been completely abandoned. Cantwell was such a fundamental part of our success that it seems crazy not to be building the team around him.

28 minutes ago, Petriix said:

If we were going to freeze him out like this then we should have cashed in while he still had a monetary value. That Farke seems to think we can do without one of our best attacking players speaks volumes about his mindset.

I can't see the team turning things around without a fundamental shift back towards a balanced team. Our style and identity have been completely abandoned. Cantwell was such a fundamental part of our success that it seems crazy not to be building the team around him.

I agree. The intricate football we played last season was down to the skill and understanding of Emi and Ollie. We have now lost those two leaving Todd as the most on the ball skilful and creative player we have. Now whatever the reason for his continuing absence we as a team are devoid of creativity and link up play with Teemu. In my mind he is the key to us scoring goals. Without Todd I cannot see us creating anything. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

I have said for years he is a wrongun and I am yet again proven to be correct 

Such a wrong 'un that the club quoted £40m for him in the summer and wouldn't budge. That's how highly they rate him. Rest assured, you will probably be proved wrong. Hard times, admittedly.

To be honest I am not the greatest fan of Cantwell and do not rate him as highly as many others. Is it a player becoming better when they are not playing and the team is struggling I don't know but even I want him back in that team asap. If his personal problems are bad then I feel really sorry for him. If its problems with management then it's time it was sorted but I'm still not sure where he fits in to the current formation either.

We have all worked for people we don't like. We have all had bosses that don't like us. At the end of the day you make things work for the good of everyone else. 

• Like 1