Sjb

1 shot on target

I think Teemu’s game was so reliant on Emi, I’m not sure playing him when there are stronger, faster alternatives with more “surprise value” is such a good idea.

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Allowing them to get 30 shots in rings just as many alarm bells!!!!      

Although the stats say only 6 on target. But I know what you mean.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Dreadful attacking performances all season we have big big problems in that dept

Leicester wasn't dreadful, we had 14 shots to their 9. But yes, we desperately need to find an attacking formula that works, and soon!

I'm afraid I can't see it happening...atm I may have to add. How can you keep yourself in the mix, if you hardly create chances? 

I am now fairly sure we won't be able to recover from this start.  The PL is just too ruthless,  I would consider it an absolute miracle if we stay up from here.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Although the stats say only 6 on target. But I know what you mean.

A lot of their shots were in the final 20 minutes when we were a bit ragged as Farke had inexplicably removed our defensive midfield cover leaving us wide open on the counter. 

It's f***** Arsenal and not the plague riddled wreck that Brentford played against.

Let's not lose our heads.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Upo said:

It's f***** Arsenal and not the plague riddled wreck that Brentford played against.

Let's not lose our heads.

Spot on. And other than the dubious goal, we held our own in their own back yard. For me, things are looking up

8 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Spot on. And other than the dubious goal, we held our own in their own back yard. For me, things are looking up

Fact is though that had it not been for a whole series of last ditch tackles, blocks and scrambles we could easily have lost by 3 or 4 today. The scoreline flattered us against a distinctly average mid table (at best) outfit. Their keeper had one, single, solitary 'effort' to save from memory.

17 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Fact is though that had it not been for a whole series of last ditch tackles, blocks and scrambles we could easily have lost by 3 or 4 today. The scoreline flattered us against a distinctly average mid table (at best) outfit. Their keeper had one, single, solitary 'effort' to save from memory.

Not really. We were arguably on top until the goal. After that we lost our shape chasing the game. That goal is not allowed (or we get a bit more luck for once and it doesn’t fall for them) and i think we well in the hunt for at least a point. We had chances. We didn’t work the keeper but that was mainly due to Pukki delaying the shot.

Very reluctantly, I feel it is time to review Pukki's role.

It is not working nearly as well as it once was. He is without the service of Buendia, is slightly blunter nowadays and needs more selective handling.

I also feel that his overall contribution, effort, influence and attitude suggest that putting him on the sidelines would be a bit premature.

As a self-confessed tic-tactical ignoramus I would nevertheless try Sargent (Idah) as the one upfront, with Pukki, Cantwell, Rashida (Tzolis) behind, with Rupp there or thereabouts if defending a score (and Sorensen added towards the end.) Teemu might now be more of a goal threat without the burden of being on the sharp end. In one incident yesterday, he battled gallantly to get his shot in, but was surrounded. Sargent might be more of a pest, a poacher up there.

Any two of McClean, Norman, Gilmore covering, and Lees-Melou there or thereabouts if chasing  game (and  Dowell added towards the end.)

I felt that Farke's starting selection yesterday was revolutionary. More than ever before, he willingly called upon the reserves of his squad. It seems to have surprised most of us, and it nearly worked. Whether this 'strength in depth' is up to the standard required is yet to be revealed, but losing by the odd goal at both Leicester and Arsenal is no disgrace. That's just fine margins. 

Perhaps it is just a bit 'Championship thinking' though.

Edited by BroadstairsR

The idea this season was clearly to sign players who can score from midfield. We now have Tzolis, Rashica, Cantwell, Lees-Melou and McLean who should be weighing in with a few by the end of the season. My issue with these performances is that whilst a 1-0 defeat doesn't look that bad, it's that we just never really look like scoring and feel like we only really made half chances. We need to be far better in the final 3rd, but hopefully it'll come as the new guys gel together

52 minutes ago, AJ said:

The idea this season was clearly to sign players who can score from midfield. We now have Tzolis, Rashica, Cantwell, Lees-Melou and McLean who should be weighing in with a few by the end of the season. My issue with these performances is that whilst a 1-0 defeat doesn't look that bad, it's that we just never really look like scoring and feel like we only really made half chances. We need to be far better in the final 3rd, but hopefully it'll come as the new guys gel together

It’s going to be hard to do when they seem to be spending more time in our half instead of the oppositions half. 
The formation is not working  and Farke needs to change it sharpish.

4 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

It’s going to be hard to do when they seem to be spending more time in our half instead of the oppositions half. 
The formation is not working  and Farke needs to change it sharpish.

Against Liverpool, Man City, Leicester and Arsenal? Of course we will spend more time in our half.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Against Liverpool, Man City, Leicester and Arsenal? Of course we will spend more time in our half.

Leicester and Arsenal were winnable games