Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

IMPORTANT: the future of our forum.

Starting another forum is beset with difficulties. Take Norwich Talk for instance. It should have been a big success as it has a good platform and technical set up, but you have to get the policies just right to get enough people interested. But make it too restrictive and you put people off.  

For all its faults, this forum has stood the test of time and is still a great community - and the moderation  allows for some silliness which adds to the colour and character. It also does deal with real abuse too and that is good.  The Pinkun itself is something we should cherish so if things did get dicey in terms of it continuing, then I think many would be prepared to pay a subscription to it, much like other sites do, like The Athletic.  

So rather than try and move it across to a new independent platform,  I would rather it carried on as it is, perhaps with help from subscriptions if necessary. If The Pinkun as a whole charged a small amount each month which could include access to the forum, then I don't think many could complain. 

As for the occasional lapse that we get in service, then hopefully that will be dealt with soon. They have to fix it really, because if they don't and this carries on, they will start to lose visit numbers - and they won't want that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Starting another forum is beset with difficulties. Take Norwich Talk for instance. It should have been a big success as it has a good platform and technical set up, but you have to get the policies just right to get enough people interested. But make it too restrictive and you put people off.  

For all its faults, this forum has stood the test of time and is still a great community - and the moderation  allows for some silliness which adds to the colour and character. It also does deal with real abuse too and that is good.  The Pinkun itself is something we should cherish so if things did get dicey in terms of it continuing, then I think many would be prepared to pay a subscription to it, much like other sites do, like The Athletic.  

So rather than try and move it across to a new independent platform,  I would rather it carried on as it is, perhaps with help from subscriptions if necessary. If The Pinkun as a whole charged a small amount each month which could include access to the forum, then I don't think many could complain. 

As for the occasional lapse that we get in service, then hopefully that will be dealt with soon. They have to fix it really, because if they don't and this carries on, they will start to lose visit numbers - and they won't want that. 

I would absolutely rather it carries on as it is, Lakey... I'm just trying to activate the hive mind as to how we can ensure the future of the community should the worst happen.

I certainly wouldn't want the responsibility of owning/moderating a forum of this size, and as you've said, the process of setting it up, generating sufficient clicks and keeping people incentivised to post is fraught with danger. We've got everything we need right here, with the exception of a forum that works.

As long as the conversation is being had, that's the most important thing. I'm sure Archant (whether Pete, or whoever) will let us know their thoughts for the future of the forum in due course. Archant has built this community over the years, and seeing as the brand motto on their homepage is "We Build Communities", you'd hope that someone will be along in due course to assuage our concerns.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

As I said in the Part 4 thread, Archant's future is far from certain after its takeover by a private equity firm last year. The daily papers have been making a loss for years, so the company is almost completely reliant on digital advertising/innovation to make itself viable.

The new CEO, Lorna Willis, is a very unconventional choice... she's a real wild card, a fierce innovator and only 45. I met her many times during my time at Archant, and although she's very much a 'Marmite' kind of character, I really bought into her passion, positivity and digital nous. More about her here: https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/archant-ceo-lorna-willis-mission-to-save-local-journalism/

The bottom line, though, is that the company is shrinking and streamlining, so we shouldn't discount the possibility that this forum may become a lower priority and potentially one day disappear altogether.

I hope @Pete Raven and the other moderators can see that my purpose for starting this thread is not to criticise Archant or the sterling work that Pete has put into this forum over many years, but simply to ensure that the community we've built up here can continue irrespective of the fluctuating fortunes of Archant.

So, what should we do? How much would it cost to set up and maintain a 'mirror' Pinkun forum, where everyone can sign up with their current usernames/details, but just leave it 'dormant' until such time as we need it? Who would be happy in principle to make a donation towards crowdfunding it if we go down this route? Should this forum go down the tubes, would we be able to preserve the existing post database and transfer it from Archant's servers? My tech knowledge is seriously limited, but I know there are a fair few posters who are quite to suggest potential solution to tech/hosting issues.

This is very much a brain dump, but we've got literally millions of posts of NCFC history on here (some more instructive than others!), and I think that as a community we should have a sensible discussion about how best to ensure its future. Imagine waking up one morning and the forum has just gone! This is the biggest and longest-standing NCFC forum on the internet, and as we embark upon another season as a Premier League club, it's imperative that we maintain the integrity of our spiritual online home.

All thoughts welcomed.

Some interesting points Wolfie. My two Penneth. 

where people gather with a common interest on social media , there are commercial opportunities. Archant would know More than most how lucrative that may be. I’ve no idea . The most obvious is advertising revenue . A secondary benefit for Archant is information - I imagine a few posts on here end up as stories, or contribution to a piece . 
So , as you have, Archant are a good place to start . 
Also (and I say this with a tin hat on) there are constant threads on here from TWTD’s - now I don’t go on there save following a few links - but it seems free of links to any one media outlet ? I may be wrong . 
GDPR - any data from which a person can be identified is classed as personal data. The record Archant have for me would easily identify me . Mir doesn’t have to be bank accounts etc . 
I would say someone would see an opportunity here to build a website , and make a few quid ? Personally I wouldn’t go down the collective ownership- I don’t think you would have to. 

3 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

I'd be very happy to chip in.

But would we have to invite all current posters to migrate? I'll start getting a list together of non-desirables if you like. 

And I'd like any new forum to have a more relaxed approach to swearing. I'd particularly like to say **** and **** more often. 

Can I just say if Fuzzar’s not part of any new site, it won’t be worth joining.

But would we have to invite all current posters to migrate? I'll start getting a list together of non-desirables if you like. 

And I'd like any new forum to have a more relaxed approach to swearing. I'd particularly like to say **** and **** more often. 

• Haha 1

Can I just say this bloody forum software is (to quote Corkio) shoite.

34 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Right back atcha! I'll take you off the list.. 

Just now, Pete Raven said:

This forum isn't going anywhere. Hope this helps.

Just need to fix the blank page issue.

Great news!

3 minutes ago, Pete Raven said:

This thread woke them up Wolfie! You won't have any more trouble going forward. 

Now Pete, about the swearing.. 

6 minutes ago, Pete Raven said:

That's a great relief, thanks Pete! I'm no techie, but how feasible is it to fix this issue permanently and quickly? I know your IT guys are aware of the issue, but do you think they'll be able to stop it happening before the season starts?

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

That's a great relief, thanks Pete! I'm no techie, but how feasible is it to fix this issue permanently and quickly? I know your IT guys are aware of the issue, but do you think they'll be able to stop it happening before the season starts?

Now your pushing it Feedthewolf. 

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm no techie either. Apprently the issue lies with the AWS servers. I would hope that if the issue has been identified then it can be fixed. Permanently. That's what I've asked for. As soon as I know more then so will you.

1 minute ago, Pete Raven said:

I'm no techie either. Apprently the issue lies with the AWS servers. I would hope that if the issue has been identified then it can be fixed. Permanently. That's what I've asked for. As soon as I know more then so will you.

Thanks for the update, Pete. It's appreciated, especially on a Sunday. Glad to hear that the forum's going nowhere.

1 minute ago, Pete Raven said:

I could have told you it was the AWS servers , Pete .  🤥😂

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

As I said in the Part 4 thread, Archant's future is far from certain after its takeover by a private equity firm last year. The daily papers have been making a loss for years, so the company is almost completely reliant on digital advertising/innovation to make itself viable.

The new CEO, Lorna Willis, is a very unconventional choice... she's a real wild card, a fierce innovator and only 45. I met her many times during my time at Archant, and although she's very much a 'Marmite' kind of character, I really bought into her passion, positivity and digital nous. More about her here: https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/archant-ceo-lorna-willis-mission-to-save-local-journalism/

The bottom line, though, is that the company is shrinking and streamlining, so we shouldn't discount the possibility that this forum may become a lower priority and potentially one day disappear altogether.

I hope @Pete Raven and the other moderators can see that my purpose for starting this thread is not to criticise Archant or the sterling work that Pete has put into this forum over many years, but simply to ensure that the community we've built up here can continue irrespective of the fluctuating fortunes of Archant.

So, what should we do? How much would it cost to set up and maintain a 'mirror' Pinkun forum, where everyone can sign up with their current usernames/details, but just leave it 'dormant' until such time as we need it? Who would be happy in principle to make a donation towards crowdfunding it if we go down this route? Should this forum go down the tubes, would we be able to preserve the existing post database and transfer it from Archant's servers? My tech knowledge is seriously limited, but I know there are a fair few posters who are quite to suggest potential solution to tech/hosting issues.

This is very much a brain dump, but we've got literally millions of posts of NCFC history on here (some more instructive than others!), and I think that as a community we should have a sensible discussion about how best to ensure its future. Imagine waking up one morning and the forum has just gone! This is the biggest and longest-standing NCFC forum on the internet, and as we embark upon another season as a Premier League club, it's imperative that we maintain the integrity of our spiritual online home.

All thoughts welcomed.

I work from home and choose my own hours so can be available to help with setting up a new site. I'm not a web developer but decent with computers and the like. I'm also happy to put up funding.

How do we do this? Set up a WhatsApp group, DM you numbers? I'm on holiday next week but after that I'm free to get this done.

37 minutes ago, Pete Raven said:

Great news, Pete. The Pink’un is an institution and the number 1 Norwich message board, it would be a very sad day indeed if this long serving community ceased to exist. But credit to Wolfie for offering to set up a replacement should that have been the case, as not everyone likes FB groups etc! 

21 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Great news, Pete. The Pink’un is an institution and the number 1 Norwich message board, it would be a very sad day indeed if this long serving community ceased to exist. But credit to Wolfie for offering to set up a replacement should that have been the case, as not everyone likes FB groups etc! 

Not everyone is on FB. Some would see that as a bonus....... ☺ 

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Made me cry. I don’t want to spoil it, but it gets me just thinking about it.

I’m not particularly patriotic, love my country but don’t make a fuss about it. But there’s something about a brass band that seems to stir something in me. It feels deeply British (English?). Probably English on reflection, because I feel very similar listening to a Welsh male voice choir.

Anyway, back on topic, many have tried an alternative PinkUn forum, but I think they’ve all failed, or limp on at best. It’s a laudable idea, but feels a bit premature. Although I guess that’s the point, it will feel premature until suddenly it’s too late.

Pete Postlethwaite at his best. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Simple enough just to set up a PinkUn group on Facebook and discuss stuff on there. 

I'm in some Norwich FB groups...

Jesus H Christ, I can imagine the carnage on a PinkUn page.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I'm in some Norwich FB groups...

Jesus H Christ, I can imagine the carnage on a PinkUn page.

Yes, it would be a nightmare.  We should be grateful for this forum and the community it is.

• Like 1

What exactly would the point in this be when there are several other Norwich forums.

NorwichTalk is dead at the moment but it runs smoothly but looks to be owned by a Norfolk based company who know what they are doing with servers etc.

https://www.rivmedia.co.uk/location/web-design-norwich

If the Pinkun disappeared, wouldn't somebody just reach out to them to discuss making it more like the Pinkun?

6 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

How about the OSP get the club to bring back their forum ?

Pfffttt, I can only begin to imagine the absolute nonsense that would create.  I'd imagine the club breathed a huge sigh of relief the day that forum was killed off.

I do remember fondly the little scrolling banners you could have in your signature though.  

They do need to get a rapid handle on it - I used to moderate an old boxing forum and we had a couple of major tech issues (didn't know my a-r-se from my e-l-b-o-w on the tech side, I just modded the forums) and whilst the first collapse meant we only lost a couple of regulars, the second, longer collapse meant we limped on for another year or so.

When it comes to all matters NCFC, I only chat here and on the FB page, when I'm not abusing the spammers putting in ropey links to streams or saying they've got rigged matches, and I like the community here.

The administration of this forum is a disgrace. A half competent person that relied on it for income would have it fixed in one session. Got nothing against Peter deleter but if they can't spend £50 and half a day on fixing the problems it deserves to die.

16 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

The administration of this forum is a disgrace. A half competent person that relied on it for income would have it fixed in one session. Got nothing against Peter deleter but if they can't spend £50 and half a day on fixing the problems it deserves to die.

It's a free service, so why call it a disgrace?  If you were paying for it, that might be different.

The only people that have the right to complain in those terms would be advertisers who DO pay to put things on the site. Us? We're just punters who are a bit frustrated. We can inform them and ask them to improve it, but we have no entitlement to it.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

It's a free service, so why call it a disgrace?  If you were paying for it, that might be different.

The only people that have the right to complain in those terms would be advertisers who DO pay to put things on the site. Us? We're just punters who are a bit frustrated. We can inform them and ask them to improve it, but we have no entitlement to it.

The advertisers are the reason this forum wont die, and I'd imagine the reason why Pete was very keen to point out that the forum is going nowhere.  I'd be quite confident in predicting that the forum is probably one of, if not the highest, locations for traffic across all archant sites.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But LDC even if the forum is free to the posters, it's like the streams people access for watching the matches for free. As supporters we are entitled to tbose for free too, according to some....... 

* for the avoidance of doubt - this post is not entirely serious........