Sign in to follow this  
Krul Mistress

Leon Bailey vs. Milot Rashica

Not to mention Bailey played in a capable Leverkusen side, Rashica played in a weaker Bremen one.

Just lobbing this in for the tangential link, a notable German singer called Jan Delay came up with this song for his favourite team. Gotta admit, I think he bloody nailed it.

They have a near identical goals per minute. Rashica is a bit ahead on assists. Imagine we'd paid £30m for him. Would that have been better!?

45 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

They have a near identical goals per minute. Rashica is a bit ahead on assists. Imagine we'd paid £30m for him. Would that have been better!?

Yes it would, KM, because if we paid 30 rather 10 he would definitely be 3x the player than he is now, this is how transfers work, everyone knows that 😉

Well done Webber, no signing is guaranteed but you can only do the best you can without the benefit of hindsight, and yet again I think you’ve pulled a blinder.

I get the feeling that the  Rashica signing for us is very much like the Buendia signing for Villa.

Sold to a club based on raising them to the next level and outgoing club receiving a very nice sell on fee when they move on to bigger and better things. 

There is no way that Emi will be at Villa in 3 years time, as much as Rashica will he here. 

You may well be right. Rashica looks decent based on his Bundesliga stats and also the reaction of other fans when we signed him. Less so based on his brief friendly appearances so far though so let’s hope he can acclimatise. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

You may well be right. Rashica looks decent based on his Bundesliga stats and also the reaction of other fans when we signed him. Less so based on his brief friendly appearances so far though so let’s hope he can acclimatise. 

Do you and DCB share the same 'Book of Faint Praise?"

8 hours ago, Krul Mistress said:

Bundesliga record:

Leon Bailey

Played 119 Scored 28 Assisted 21

Milot Rashica

Played 87 Scored 21 Assisted 17

In Webber we trust.

OTBC

And now we know that Villa just want to be us. 

Buying our players, shopping in the German market... The cheeky swines! 😂

Nothing personal but I find this method of analyzing players to be hugely simplistic. Football is much more than goals and assists.

For example a glance at WhoScored shows that last season Leon Bailey was responsible for 58 key passes, while Rashica was responsible for 19. 

Edited by king canary

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

give him a chance, its early days yet.   Shame our friendlies got cancelled though as it would have been good to get him up to speed

I guess the only thing here is that Bailey has been way better last season... Rashica needs to recapture that earlier form

39 minutes ago, king canary said:

Nothing personal but I find this method of analyzing players to be hugely simplistic. Football is much more than goals and assists.

I wouldn't even call it analysis, just a simple comparison. For a side that massively struggled to score goals last time out, it's impressive business that we were able to bring someone in with a similar output to Bailey for a third of the price, no?

While you are obviously right that judging a player purely on goals and assists is overly simplistic, if he scores a goal every 270 minutes this season, as he has in the Bundesliga, that would represent an unqualified success, no? If he does, that £9.4m will look like even more of a bargain.

2 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I guess the only thing here is that Bailey has been way better last season... Rashica needs to recapture that earlier form

Playing in polar opposite sides though, Bailey was playing in a fairly decent attacking side, Rashica was playing in a side that got relegated. 

Buendia didn't perform at all during the relegation season in the Prem but did okay last season so who knows! Webber might have done another piece of very good business

3 hours ago, king canary said:

For example a glance at WhoScored shows that last season Leon Bailey was responsible for 58 key passes, while Rashica was responsible for 19. 

I kinda hate the modern obsession with stats, sometimes the eyeball test is more important

Rashica appears a great signing, and along with it comes very high expectations. He needs to deliver this season and Norwich need to stay up as I can't see him playing Championship football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Haus said:

I kinda hate the modern obsession with stats, sometimes the eyeball test is more important

Forgot which cricket commentator came up with it, but they said "Statistics are like miniskirts; what they show is revealing, but what they hide is vital!"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Careful Jim... you're "off message"... he has nothing to prove & Webber is a genius who never get's anything wrong.

Had a difficult season I believe last year hence the price but if we can get him back on form... bargain!

2 hours ago, Krul Mistress said:

I wouldn't even call it analysis, just a simple comparison. For a side that massively struggled to score goals last time out, it's impressive business that we were able to bring someone in with a similar output to Bailey for a third of the price, no?

While you are obviously right that judging a player purely on goals and assists is overly simplistic, if he scores a goal every 270 minutes this season, as he has in the Bundesliga, that would represent an unqualified success, no? If he does, that £9.4m will look like even more of a bargain.

Yeah I get its a comparison but 'similar output' is only true if you only count goals and assists. Looking at other key metrics is important, also the caveat that Rashica probably had his worst season last year.

Don't get me wrong I think he's potentially a brilliant signing. I just think there is pretty clear difference between him and Bailey right now, hence why we got one for £10m and the other cost £30m.

31 minutes ago, Haus said:

I don't mind stats but they do need to be combined with 'the eye test' to give a real understanding of a player. 

For example with wingers there are no metrics to show how much deeper they make a defence sit due to their pace, or how much space for others their runs create etc etc. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Do you and DCB share the same 'Book of Faint Praise?"

I think it’s called “Why your half-full glass is actually half empty (and the beer is slightly off)”.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Playing in polar opposite sides though, Bailey was playing in a fairly decent attacking side, Rashica was playing in a side that got relegated. 

Buendia didn't perform at all during the relegation season in the Prem but did okay last season so who knows! Webber might have done another piece of very good business

Seriously?

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Yeah I get its a comparison but 'similar output' is only true if you only count goals and assists. Looking at other key metrics is important, also the caveat that Rashica probably had his worst season last year.

Don't get me wrong I think he's potentially a brilliant signing. I just think there is pretty clear difference between him and Bailey right now, hence why we got one for £10m and the other cost £30m.

Looking at other key metrics IS important, but I have faith that Farke can bring other aspects to his game if he has the desire to improve. I think our scouting is excellent in that regard.

The fact is he has scored a goal every three games at a decent level, and if he does that here i.e. scores 12/13 this season, his signing will have been a success irrespective of what else he brings to the team.

Rashica is coming off a stinker. Bailey off the best season of his career. Bailey is a couple of years younger. Lots to like about the Bailey deal for Villa. Ours represents more of a gamble but the bigger the gamble, the bigger the potential reward.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Seriously?

Yes seriously, he was especially poor after 'project restart' which played a part in the whole squad being generally poor in honesty. Overall he contributed 1 goal and 6 assists I think it was, Todd got 6 goals and 2 assists and generally performed much better on the whole. 

30 minutes ago, AJ said:

Yes seriously, he was especially poor after 'project restart' which played a part in the whole squad being generally poor in honesty. Overall he contributed 1 goal and 6 assists I think it was, Todd got 6 goals and 2 assists and generally performed much better on the whole. 

Screenshot_20210805-170312.png

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Haus said:

I hate this modern obsession some of our fans have with Aston Villa 😁