FatCanary

Buendia to Arsenal for reported £40m

Of course we now want to see that full amount invested back into the team! If we just spend a fraction of the transfer and get thumped during the season, then the owners are fair game for full on criticism in my view.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’m not too bothered as really he’s done a great job for us, but 40 million is a great return, we can look to players like Pereira as a replacement with money left over for a decent CM, CD and Striker.

It might be that Buendia doesn’t hit the heights he did this season, remember Cantwell fitted the premiership really well last time up.

Good business in my view.

Watch your back on your way home tonight, you might get lynched! 

If the figure reported is correct, what on Earth are Arsenal doing not matching that? Are they really in that much trouble? £35m is a steal these days for that quality. 

Thanks Emi and good luck. Villa though. Yikes

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Tier 1, confirmed then. Shame Webber, like a coward, declined 30m from Arsenal and demanded more.. Only to accept the same ammount from Villa. lack of balls there if this is true

Being reported by some as £30m going up to £40 with add-ons. Local boys are saying £35m + sell on. Guessing some of the add ons are more in the 'stretch' category. 

Pretty obvious now that Arsenal never bid.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Tier 1, confirmed then. Shame Webber, like a coward, declined 30m from Arsenal and demanded more.. Only to accept the same ammount from Villa. lack of balls there if this is true

Pointless statement. You don't know if either figures are true. Our media will overestimate  there's underestimate. 

And can I just say...

F***ING VILLA?!? REALLY?!

What is wrong with Emi??? So he really didn’t mean anything said during the title win. If he wanted to leave, should just have kept his mouth shut and waited for it to happen (as I’m sure the club had assured him it would). Lack of class shown and unfortunately just reaffirmed my previous view of the vast majority of footballers. Thought he was different.

An extremely poor way to leave a club that has helped him so much.

Im not angry, just extremely disappointed 😞 

• Like 2

think Webber's got a WhatsApp group with his favourite journalists. John Percy was first to break the Farke appointment and is very reliable as well.

Edited by Icecream Snow

Well that's a real downer on my summer...  Could accept losing him to a big club, but Villa???  I can barely remember the last time they were any kind of force.

I guess that will the trigger the Grealish transfer.

7 minutes ago, AB3 said:

£35m just doesn’t seem enough in today’s football money. 

List the other midfielders that have gone for more from a club the size of ours, taking into consideration recent silverware (and, no, winning the Chumps really doesn't count). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

think Webber's got a WhatsApp group with his favourite journalists. John Percy was first to break the Farke appointment and is very reliable as well.

Was just coming to post this. Again my feeling is £40m should have been the starting point, not the end point. 

4 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

Well that's a real downer on my summer...  Could accept losing him to a big club, but Villa???  I can barely remember the last time they were any kind of force.

I guess that will the trigger the Grealish transfer.

I want Emi to do well. I want him to get to a big, top six club like he deserves to play it. To play at a top level amongst elite players.

And he's off to fight relegation with Villa. ****ing depressing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Of course we now want to see that full amount invested back into the team! If we just spend a fraction of the transfer and get thumped during the season, then the owners are fair game for full on criticism in my view.

We will need to reinvest a large proportion in order to get in quality in a couple of positions which is the only way we can really 'replace' Emi.

1 minute ago, Fuzzar said:

List the other midfielders that have gone for more from a club the size of ours, taking into consideration recent silverware (and, no, winning the Chumps really doesn't count). 

List other midfielders that have been such an integral part of the club's success. It should have taken an extraordinary bid to extract Buendia from the club. For me, this isn't it.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

List other midfielders that have been such an integral part of the club's success. It should have taken an extraordinary bid to extract Buendia from the club. For me, this isn't it.

Answer my point first and I'll have a think about yours. 

28 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No, I don't get it. Either way, unless it is an overseas club, which seems unlikely, he will be playing against us next season. And not for a club likely to be relegation rivals. If Villa are prepared to cough up what we want then it should be up to Buendia.

I doubt Villa will pay significantly higher wages than Arsenal (quite possibly not even as high) so if he wants to go there it may because he sees Villa as the bet bet to further his career. It is a bizarre argument that fans and indeed the hierarchy at Norwich City know better than the player what is best for him.

'Emi has sold out to the highest bidder, contradicting what he has told everyone in the press. My estimation of Webber, NCFC and Buendia have all taken a big hit on this one.'

Sorry but I still don't get it. If the club is happy with the fee then why should we care where he decides to go? To criticise a player for  selling out to the highest bidder is absurd. This is the way football works, and we frequently benefit from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This fury over Villa is bizarre.

Why does it matter? On every criteria they are a bigger fish than us ... they have bottomless pockets.

You can't laud the Webber project when we lift trophies and then cry when that same project results in this. Without a billionaire owner the club will always sell off its assets for profit to the highest bidder. That's the path we're on.

Clearly Webber wants a quick sale to get our own business done early. Villa played ball and bought on our terms.

It hurts but it's a success story.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Was just coming to post this. Again my feeling is £40m should have been the starting point, not the end point. 

How qualified are you to judge? Have you been as integrated in the negotiations as SW?

It's interesting to me the perception of Aston Villa. Before their struggles under Mcleish and relegation I always considered them about on par with Everton who Ben Godfrey went to and we all wished him well. Villa have been largely cr4p for about 10 years now but they are a pretty big club and seem to be back on the up.

I'm not happy with this, don't get me wrong, but it's not like he's joined Watford or Brighton or a similar club that's not actually a step up...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Why does it matter? On every criteria they are a bigger fish than us ... they have bottomless pockets.

You can't laud the Webber project when we lift trophies and then cry when that same project results in this. Without a billionaire owner the club will always sell off its assets for profit to the highest bidder. That's the path we're on.

Clearly Webber wants a quick sale to get our own business done ahead early. Villa played ball and bought on our terms.

I don't care from the club's point of view, I agree, get the best deal and use it wisely. I'm shocked from his point if view. When Athletico Madrid and Arsenal are being mentioned, you've just had your 1st call up to Argentina squad. Key move in his career age wise etc. I expected a team that challenges near the top of whatever league they play in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Clearly Webber wants a quick sale to get our own business done ahead early. Villa played ball and bought on our terms.

The disappointment is that it’s Villa. And it’s Emi.

I admit it’s an emotional response right now, and fans will calm down but that’s what it is right now, an automatic reaction.

Hes the best player I’ve ever seen in a yellow shirt. A genius. Deserving of playing at the highest level in football.

and he’s gone to Aston Villa 🤔

Exactly, Cantiaci. It does hurt, though! 

But I see it as just another building block in the wall, with the foundations now reinforced. 

• Like 1

Sold to the highest (and possibly only) bidder ... what's wrong?

A- Play for Arsenal among good players for a chance to get into the top six and play in Europe and fight to win trophies

B- Play for a team that's one of the bookies favorites to get relegated

Gee I don't know what the problem could be

Sold to the highest (and possibly only) bidder ... what's wrong?

I expected him to hold out for a bigger move status wise. I know Villa historically are a big club. I'm sure he's on loads more money etc. But I thought he said he wanted to be playing in Europe, challenging for things. Not going to happen there any time soon is it?

1 minute ago, markdmhoward said:

I don't care from the club's point of view, I agree, get the best deal and use it wisely. I'm shocked from his point if view. When Athletico Madrid and Arsenal are being mentioned, you've just had your 1st call up to Argentina squad. Key move in his career age wise etc. I expected a team that challenges near the top of whatever league they play in.

Maybe none of those clubs wanted to spend that much on him? This has echoes of Maddison to Leicester. Emi needs a bridge club from us to the Champions League???

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

A- Play for Arsenal among good players for a chance to get into the top six and play in Europe and fight to win trophies

B- Play for a team that's one of the bookies favorites to get relegated

Gee I don't know what the problem could be

A - did Arsenal bid?

B - are Villa favs for relegation (honest question, haven't looked)

2 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Maybe none of those clubs wanted to spend that much on him? This has echoes of Maddison to Leicester. Emi needs a bridge club from us to the Champions League???

Historically yes compare those two clubs but in recent times, and in potential....Leicester are way ahead of Villa.

6 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

How qualified are you to judge? Have you been as integrated in the negotiations as SW?

It's called an opinion, you utter toilet brush. You don't have to be "integrated into the negotiations" to have one.