Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

One thing for sure, the transfer window wheel has started to turn. It needed the big move from Manchester City (be it Kane or Grealish) for the moves to then tumble down.

Strap yourselves in…

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

That seemed to be around the upper end of his valuation by Blackburn, yes.

And I wasn’t joking when I said ‘no offence’. I can see you’re a very decent and reasonable poster, just this thread sometimes gets clogged up with so many tangents that are often being discussed on threads on the matter in their own right elsewhere! Obviously there’s a lot of interest with you and the potential Cantwell developments, so I do get it : ) 👍

You are absolutely right, this thread is about NCFC transfers. It is funny how they are all linked. You want Armstrong and have offered more money than Saints but we just gave them 25m. Will that change their offer? Also, the Cantwell link looks strong in the media but they clearly are out of the loop as absolutely nobody suggested Ings to Villa until it was announced that he had actually signed. So Cantwell could be all BS

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

everyone's favourite "ITK" account on twitter seems to think that Idah and Hugill have been mixed up in the report on Armstrong.

Now that seems a lot more believable to me, TJ 👍

I must admit, there are people on here far more qualified than myself to say whether Armstrong is a good move for us or not, and in fact, they’ve said that he likely would be so perhaps I should trust them rather my limited knowledge of this player. I think I’m just a little unsure of dropping such a big amount on someone I fear could be the next Ross McCormack or Che Adams (though granted, Adam’s certainly improved in his second season at Southampton, but he’s still not what you would call prolific, certainly not for 20 odd million as I believe was roughly the figure the Saints splashed out). But if he comes here, I’m not waiting for him to fail - he would be welcomed with open arms like all of our new signings!

13 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ha ha, not questioning you Wolfie me old mucker, just the comment reminded me of what Kane was like at a similar age, and why there’s still a high ceiling of potential for the lad allegedly dubbed ‘the new Ibrahimovic’ by Jose Mourinho!

For what it’s worth, something doesn’t quite add up with Alan Nixon’s report to me, but I could be wrong. And if I am, then I’d be extremely surprised at such developments. Just goes to show that we should expect the unexpected in these coming days and weeks though!

For what it's worth, my opinion is that I don't see Idah becoming a quality player at PL level. He's smart, he's no slouch, he's strong and he links the play well. However, I just don't think he's got that X-factor in any particular area. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course, and I've seen no more of him than you guys; it's just a hunch. I think he'll make a solid career as a Championship player but without that extra level to make it in the rarefied air of the top flight. Just don't see him being a regular 20-goal striker, personally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

everyone's favourite "ITK" account on twitter seems to think that Idah and Hugill have been mixed up in the report on Armstrong.

A former Preston striker in Hugill cropping up at Blackburn?

That's a ballsy ol' move. Those two teams don't like each other.

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

A former Preston striker in Hugill cropping up at Blackburn?

That's a ballsy ol' move. Those two teams don't like each other.

I was always led to believe that both teams hate Burnley more than they hate each other... is that not the case?

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

I was always led to believe that both teams hate Burnley more than they hate each other... is that not the case?

It's pretty bad between all three. Chuck Bolton, Blackpool and Wigan in the mixer as well....

Trying to get my head around this, the timing of it all just seems to point to one of two things, the first and more likely is that we have made a bid for Armstrong recently but it’s only being made public the moment Blackburn became aware of Southampton’s sudden need for a replacement/windfall from the sale. So whilst there is a degree of truth it’s likely we are being used as an attempt to get a bidding war going in the hope that if we’ve come in with 15 million plus 5 million add ons, the Saints can just trump it with a straight 20 million.

The second and probably less likely, is that Villa have made contact and we know that Todd is not long for us now. We’ve read the situation and know about Ings leaving and so have tried to get in there first and wrap it up to avoid a bidding war if both us and Southampton have just sold players and made it known to Blackburn that there is cash floating around in both the prospective clubs,

12 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

For what it's worth, my opinion is that I don't see Idah becoming a quality player at PL level. He's smart, he's no slouch, he's strong and he links the play well. However, I just don't think he's got that X-factor in any particular area. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course, and I've seen no more of him than you guys; it's just a hunch. I think he'll make a solid career as a Championship player but without that extra level to make it in the rarefied air of the top flight. Just don't see him being a regular 20-goal striker, personally.

Well that’s a bit controversial for this time of night, Wolfie 😂. But totally hear you, and of course, always totally valid points mate 👍

Interestingly, our apparent interest or offer for Armstrong remarkably doesn’t appear to have made its way on to the Saints message board tonight, but what is very clear is that Armstrong massively divides opinion within their supporter group huddling by the comments tonight.

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Well that’s a bit controversial for this time of night, Wolfie 😂. But totally hear you, and of course, always totally valid points mate 👍

Interestingly, our apparent interest or offer for Armstrong remarkably doesn’t appear to have made its way on to the Saints message board tonight, but what is very clear is that Armstrong massively divides opinion within their supporter group huddling by the comments tonight.

I too would be unconvinced Armstrong could replace what Ings brings. Maybe with the Ings money they’re looking further. 

3 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I too would be unconvinced Armstrong could replace what Ings brings. Maybe with the Ings money they’re looking further. 

Pick red or black right twice in a row and they can afford Kane… that’s true ambition

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

If Southampton want him, then you’d have to say they’d be able to lead the way on both fee and wages, so that must still be favourites.

Had to chuckle as some of their fans are fed up with them always having to sell their best players over these past 10 years, so am signing up pronto to say no that is not correct and is something only exclusive to Norwich City ha ha

5 minutes ago, Vazzza said:

Pick red or black right twice in a row and they can afford Kane… that’s true ambition

Pick wrong once, though, and they'll end up with Connor Wickham.

• Haha 2

We’re obviously not going to be able to afford proven PL strikers, and I don’t think we can afford Armstrong for £20m. The report that says we’ve also included Idah in the deal (unknown whether it’s loan or permanent) I find hard to believe as we’re currently looking to sign another striker and can’t see us letting Idah go as he’s in Farke’s plans for this season. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Hugill though

Although Armstrong’s not proven in the PL he’s well proven in the Championship and at 24 he would be an ideal replacement for Pukki, who will be 32 next March

Just been having a nosey on the Southampton Facebook page, moaning about their boards lack of ambition, and demanding Ings is replaced with Armstrong, they'll be spitting feathers if he ends up here and not St. Mary's. 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Just been having a nosey on the Southampton Facebook page, moaning about their boards lack of ambition, and demanding Ings is replaced with Armstrong, they'll be spitting feathers if he ends up here and not St. Mary's. 

Lack of ambition? You sure you were not reading this forum by mistake?

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

100% agreed, that move has had my backing since we were relegated from the Prem, Pricey - would be a very good signing indeed to take that final loan spot.

He's a real quality player and I personally wouldn't mind using our last prem loan spot on him if we couldn't bring Skipp in. I can't see him breaking into Liverpool team for a couple of years yet and I suspect they would want a prem loan this season. I still think we are light on wide players as I don't see Placheta or Onel getting that much game time this season so for me it's a yes. I do however think that the club is more likely to use that last prem loan spot on Skipp or a defender though. 

34 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

It does need to be said that hitting 20 goals a season in the prem consistantly doesn't just make you PL quality, it makes you top half PL quality. Not sure how many strikers regularly hit 20+ goals but 15-20 in the PL is a good return. It's somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals

It's often a bit of a strange one but 15 goals is decent, 10-15 is average really. Kane was top scorer with 23 goals last season. Ings scored 12.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Lack of ambition? You sure you were not reading this forum by mistake?

They had a few posters called Uncle Ned, Tim Smith and Little Vince..... 😏

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, chicken said:

It does need to be said that hitting 20 goals a season in the prem consistantly doesn't just make you PL quality, it makes you top half PL quality. Not sure how many strikers regularly hit 20+ goals but 15-20 in the PL is a good return. It's somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals

It's often a bit of a strange one but 15 goals is decent, 10-15 is average really. Kane was top scorer with 23 goals last season. Ings scored 12.

Apologies, chicken, my previous post was ambiguous. I meant I don't see him making it as a PL player because I don't see him being a 20-plus striker at Championship level. I think he's a player who will be a valuable asset, but won't be a prolific goal-getter. I think it's likely he'd be a decent squad player at PL level, but won't cut it as a main-line striker at that level. A bit like Cameron Jerome, maybe; runs through brick walls for the team, physical and agile, holds the ball up, links the play, but doesn't have that laser-like precision that makes a real top striker.

Reports of Maddison to Arsenal for £70 million, got to be worth a few quid to us if that were to happen. 

5 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

He's a real quality player and I personally wouldn't mind using our last prem loan spot on him if we couldn't bring Skipp in. I can't see him breaking into Liverpool team for a couple of years yet and I suspect they would want a prem loan this season. I still think we are light on wide players as I don't see Placheta or Onel getting that much game time this season so for me it's a yes. I do however think that the club is more likely to use that last prem loan spot on Skipp or a defender though. 

Not happening. Been heavily involved in Liverpool's pre-season and the talk is very strong of him being that Klopp wants him as part of his premier league squad this time round. It's a non-starter I would say.

I'd say it makes sense that Hugill and Idah might have been mixed up. Can't see us letting Idah go as he's highly rated but can see us letting Hugill go if the price is right

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Most interesting bit is this;

City's search for a striker is live, with Jordan Hugill unlikely to remain at Carrow Road beyond the end of the window. The Canaries have received one approach from a Championship club which was subsequently turned down after it failed to meet their valuation of the experienced forward. 

Wonder what we are asking for him, I would imagine recouping two thirds of what we spent on him, rumoured to be up to £5m, would be a success. I suspect the up to £5 could have been heavily promotion based as well

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

Not happening. Been heavily involved in Liverpool's pre-season and the talk is very strong of him being that Klopp wants him as part of his premier league squad this time round. It's a non-starter I would say.

I suspect you're right Chicken although I think another season of regular football would be best for him. I have read before that Kloop is a big fan. 

I'm a little biased with him as I have him as a player in my dynasty football draft and I'm refusing to drop him this summer!

Think we’ve all been taken for a ride to bump the price up and secure maximum price for him ...

don’t think we’d be interested in him at £20m either 

6DF4BC18-FB6C-43CD-8040-8BD28F09F3D2.jpeg

3 minutes ago, WSM said:

Think we’ve all been taken for a ride to bump the price up and secure maximum price for him ...

don’t think we’d be interested in him at £20m either 

6DF4BC18-FB6C-43CD-8040-8BD28F09F3D2.jpeg

Always the likely scenario after Southampton just sold Ings, and to be honest, I wouldn't want us to spend the majority of our budget on Armstrong. I think other areas need strengthening too and as I've said previously, there must be better value on the continent than Armstrong at £20m.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Always the likely scenario after Southampton just sold Ings, and to be honest, I wouldn't want us to spend the majority of our budget on Armstrong. I think other areas need strengthening too and as I've said previously, there must be better value on the continent than Armstrong at £20m.

You’d think so.  Not that bothered, though Hugill+cash might be something to bear in mind for any prospective deals. 

The Greek striker we were linked with earlier in the summer has some very good stats and is supposedly available for less than £10m. I'd take a punt on him. Meant to be mobile and tall.