Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

Agree with Beth and TGS and said as much already that the rumours about City going for Armstrong  are pretty much  wide off the mark..in anycase Armstrong wont be going anywhere for under 20 mill. Absolute priority is a CB and midfielder.

Wonder if anything has ever quietly been evolving with the Tufan rumours some months ago..especially now that he has exited from the Euros.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Exactly, no one can be sure until its done, so why bother trying to put him straight about a rumour that turned out didn't happen. It won't have any effect on his post/ thread/ rumour  output. Like I said, he's  incorrigible...in a nice way. 

I think we are making the same point - People come on here claiming to be ITK, knowing someone at the club, etc. stating things as fact, and then claiming its too speculative when others state similar themes. 

17 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Cambridgeo  for President/ PM/ chief  medical officer.... it'd be fun.

For the love of god no, we'd have a new briefing every 10 minutes. 😱 🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

Twitterati! 😉

(Only jesting, CC. Someone's got to start the discussions, and you do it well.)

10 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

Next slide thread, please.......

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Gilmour is in the building...

Pics / links? GPB?

3 hours ago, Haus said:

The players we sold and released also had a salary that comes off the books too.

Not really. If you get rid of a player - either by selling them or "releasing" them you are likely to be paying up their contracts. For example. we have almost certainly paid Leitner the vast majority of his remaining contract. The Secret Footballer suggested about 80% was normal, but he insisted on more!

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Surely the priority has to be getting in the defender and central midfielder?

There almost certainly isn't the budget to bring in two big signings in those positions and then spending an additional £15m(ish) on a player who will mostly be on the bench. Strikers are the most expensive players to sign, Norwich need to maximise where their money goes and spending on a striker, and reducing the amount to spend on a defender/midfielder doesn't make the best strategy.

Rashica has played as a central striker for Werder Bremen many times and can provide competition and cover for Pukki. I'm sure once Webber/Scott know how much needs to be spent on the priority positions they will look to bring in attacking options (which could be one of a winger/attacking mid/striker). 

Playing hypotheticals here: The suggestion before Emi was sold was the kitty was at least15m after Gibson & Dimi. Allowing for wages & fees that has now been spent on Raschica. That leaves us with the Emi money + any extra, I'll assume that Gunn's wages will be covered by outgoing players wages and it's only 2.5 up front so we are left with c.30m from Emi sale. The CB rumours are generally pitching us as in for players around the 10m mark, that would leave us with about 20m + wages (which could be covered by departures of people like Drmic and Steipi). I would not expect us to spend all of that on the striker, but if we could find a bargain (less than 10m) for the CM role then we have 10m+ for the replacement striker.

Blackburn aren't going to get 20m for Armstrong, his price will come down as we get to the end of the window as he only has 1 year left on his contract and without them improving their squad significantly in the meantime I can't see any reason for him to sign an extension, at the moment he looks to have outgrown them. The striker backup/long term replacement is not a priority, I grant you, but I can certainly see an arguement to spend reasonably big on it, but only if the right option becomes avaialble.

Just now, Badger said:

Not really. If you get rid of a player - either by selling them or "releasing" them you are likely to be paying up their contracts. For example. we have almost certainly paid Leitner the vast majority of his remaining contract. The Secret Footballer suggested about 80% was normal, but he insisted on more!

Are we really likely to be paying up the remainder of their contracts if we sell them? I can see us paying a bit if they are going to a lower salary, but certainly not the full value (or even 80% as suggested). If Mutual Termination then yes, I agree

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Surely the priority has to be getting in the defender and central midfielder?

There almost certainly isn't the budget to bring in two big signings in those positions and then spending an additional £15m(ish) on a player who will mostly be on the bench. Strikers are the most expensive players to sign, Norwich need to maximise where their money goes and spending on a striker, and reducing the amount to spend on a defender/midfielder doesn't make the best strategy.

Rashica has played as a central striker for Werder Bremen many times and can provide competition and cover for Pukki. I'm sure once Webber/Scott know how much needs to be spent on the priority positions they will look to bring in attacking options (which could be one of a winger/attacking mid/striker). 

I agree we don't have the money for three big signings. If we get one of the three as a loan deal (accepting they are not cheap) then I still feel we could do with someone with probably a bit more physicality than Rashica who can play out wide or up front, even accepting that he has done the latter for Werder Bremen. But this is all on the assumption that Idah is not going to step up sufficiently.

31 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Gilmour is in the building...

Pink un main site says expected tomorrow, after quarantine

8 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Are we really likely to be paying up the remainder of their contracts if we sell them? I can see us paying a bit if they are going to a lower salary, but certainly not the full value (or even 80% as suggested). If Mutual Termination then yes, I agree

If we sell them to a lower division or foreign club it is quite likely as they are unlikely to be able to pay as much as we do. We have to make a offer good enough for the player to accept, as well as the buying club.

Every situation is different, but to some extent, a player has the club over a barrel - they don't have to leave and can continue to collect wages + loyalty  bonus for the remainder of their contract. The same applies to loan deals where the owning club often pay most of the wages.

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I agree we don't have the money for three big signings. If we get one of the three as a loan deal (accepting they are not cheap) then I still feel we could do with someone with probably a bit more physicality than Rashica who can play out wide or up front, even accepting that he has done the latter for Werder Bremen. But this is all on the assumption that Idah is not going to step up sufficiently.

I wonder if the striker might end up being the loan signing. We seem set to spend on a central defender and probably don't want Gilmour playing next to another loanee in the middle.

Either an experienced player a bigger club want to shift some of the wages of or a 'loan to buy' type deal from a club in a different league who need the money. 

Could change if Aarons is sold though.

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Ok . That must be right then...

Not necessarily - just wondered where your info came from as different. 

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I wonder if the striker might end up being the loan signing. We seem set to spend on a central defender and probably don't want Gilmour playing next to another loanee in the middle.

Either an experienced player a bigger club want to shift some of the wages of or a 'loan to buy' type deal from a club in a different league who need the money. 

Could change if Aarons is sold though.

It depends whether Webber and Farke agree with my obsession that we need a winger **** striker! I agree that we seem to be willing to  buy a central defender, and the point about buying the other midfielder makes sense. The problem I can see is that we might be able to get an out and out striker on loan, but this hybrid I envisage (I think Antonio at West ham is an example) is a rare creature.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

It depends whether Webber and Farke agree with my obsession that we need a winger **** striker! I agree that we seem to be willing to  buy a central defender, and the point about buying the other midfielder makes sense. The problem I can see is that we might be able to get an out and out striker on loan, but this hybrid I envisage (I think Antonio at West ham is an example) is a rare creature.

Rashica is a winger/striker...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Seems Soto is going to Porto on loan with a €1m optional fee.

https://t.co/t2YMZq54SY

Can't be true. According to quite a few posters on here, he was going to come in and displace Pukki because of.....reasons

26 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I know they aren't all supposed to be hits but I'd like to see more of these 'bought for the u23's' players by Webber and co actually make some impression on the first team at some point.

So far I can see his team have signed...

Raggett

Abrahams

Famewo

Bloomfield

Adshead

Sitti

Bushri

McCallum

Martin

Mumba

Sinani

Soto

McAlear

Martin had a spell but is now back out of favour, Mumba is in the squad, Famewo and McCallum may get a chance but unlikely. The rest don't seem remotely close to the first team squad.

Edited by king canary
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Now THIS is interesting all around! Seems like we went to a lot of work to never even give him a chance? And would Porto really make the deal for their B team? I admit I don't get it.

Just now, king canary said:

I know they aren't all supposed to be hits but I'd like to see more of these 'bought for the u23's' players by Webber and co actually make some impression on the first team at some point.

Raggett

Abrahams

Famewo

Bloomfield

Adshead

Sitti

Bushri

McCallum

Martin

Mumba

Sinani

Soto

Martin had a spell but is now back out of favour, Mumba is in the squad, Famewo and McCallum may get a chance but unlikely. The rest don't seem remotely close to the first team squad.

Is that because we have progressed quicker than anticipated? possibly a more relevant comment for the earlier signings than recent ones id agree.  

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Raggett

Abrahams

Famewo

Bloomfield

Adshead

Sitti

Bushri

McCallum

Martin

Mumba

Sinani

Soto

I guess the idea is if just one or two of them come off then Norwich have struck gold. I suspect the club haven't lost much on them with loan fees etc probably covering their wages and several of the were picked up out of contract. If Norwich get a loan fee and then Porto pay €1m for Soto then it represents a good profit on a player that was signed for nothing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Now THIS is interesting all around! Seems like we went to a lot of work to never even give him a chance? And would Porto really make the deal for their B team? I admit I don't get it.

The trouble we went to won’t have amounted to €1m if they sign him, so still a profit.

Edited by Branston Pickle

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

They're probably offset by running a small version of Chelsea's loan farm?

Loan fees, wages covered, even if they only sell for a few hundred grand to a million then they'll have wiped their face. And if one or two come off? More than worth it.

One Jamal Lewis out of all of that lot and it'd be well well worth it..

3 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

He was given half a season to impressed with the U23s and it seems like that didn't happen. 

Porto regularly sign players for their B team and the report says he'd rotate between there and the main squad. 

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I guess the idea is if just one or two of them come off then Norwich have struck gold. I suspect the club haven't lost much on them with loan fees etc probably covering their wages and several of the were picked up out of contract. If Norwich get a loan fee and then Porto pay €1m for Soto then it represents a good profit on a player that was signed for nothing.

Yeah I get that side of it, although that model doesn't hugely sit right with me.

I guess I'd just like to see a pathway for these players into the first team- they seem to come in, go out on loan, make very limited progression and then never spoken of again. 

Soto was not going to be playing this season and a loan would have been ideal, training with the first team and playing in the B team sounds pretty good in a fantastic city and region, I would jump at it. However I would be reluctant to have a deal where he could go  and leave at the end of next season.

If he develops and becomes a national striker for the US it will give us further exposure in North America for more fans to watch and support Norwich. His development has actually been pretty strong and the teams he is associated with are working him hard, I feel he is a player who could be quite useful on and off the pitch but that is my view as someone not in Colney.

6 minutes ago, kirku said:

They're probably offset by running a small version of Chelsea's loan farm?

Loan fees, wages covered, even if they only sell for a few hundred grand to a million then they'll have wiped their face. And if one or two come off? More than worth it.

One Jamal Lewis out of all of that lot and it'd be well well worth it..

Yeah don't get me wrong I fully understand the financial side of it (although I'd suggest those listed above are probably a net loss right now even if we get £1m for Soto)

However I would like to see one of these players progress to being a first teamer. I'm not really interested in farming them, I want them to do something for Norwich City.

Maybe I just need to stop seeing them as players and more as economic units when we sign them.