He is suggesting that he may be back before the end of the season - and that the club are probably looking at extending his contract beyond the summer.

With Oxborough available soon, and Barden showing great form already I would think keeping McGovern on as a senior back up for next season would make good sense.

All three are fully up with the tactics we use and so will fit in when needed seamlessly, while still allowing the younger two to progress possibly out on loan

• Like 1

With the greatest will in the world, I don't think McGovern is good enough to be our number two in the top flight. Last time we bought in Fahrmann to compete with Krul and had McGovern as third choice; if we do keep McGovern on, you'd think it'd be as third rather than second choice. Whether this means they see Barden or Oxborough as good enough to be a number two, or if we bring in a new number two and send the kids out on loan, remains to be seen.

• Like 2

We cannot consistently develop all these young 'keepers only to have them endlessly sit behind McGovern in the pecking order.

We have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

Can anybody fail to be impressed by young Barden after three immaculate showings for the first eleven?

Oxborough had been deemed to be ahead of him I believe. 

Confidence in the production line, say I.

Edited by BroadstairsR

We have three good young keepers on the books, all 20 or younger. They are clearly keen to bring in another keeper so my money would be on McGovern for another season as 3rd choice. Then send out the youngsters on loan to get the much needed regular game time experience.

• Like 1

McGovern will be 37 before next season starts and the Archant article appears to be a rehash of something published in the Belfast Telegraph before Christmas. 

Edited by TIL 1010

Farke has always praised how he is behind the scenes so I reckon he may stay as 3rd choice while transitioning towards a coaching role. 

• Like 2

Definitely no better than number three, Barden looks so assured, good with his feet, comes out and commands his area. Just can’t see McGovern getting back in. 
But as a senior backup definitely, will be good for any young keeper to have him here.

37 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We cannot consistently develop all these young 'keepers only to have them endlessly sit behind McGovern in the pecking order.

We have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

Can anybody fail to be impressed by young Barden after three immaculate showings for the first eleven?

Oxborough had been deemed to be ahead of him I believe. 

Confidence in the production line, say I.

As much as I like Barden, he is still very raw and didnt come anywhere near a number of crosses put into the box. The boy needs a club where he can develop on loan before we look at again. 

In respect of McGovern its probably best he moves on, but has certainly been a useful squad addition this year.

Edited by jaberry2

43 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

McGovern aside. how many Premier League Clubs have a 20 year old as their back up keeper?

The best team in the universe (@ Leeds United Tm) have a 20 year old as their first choice keeper.

• Haha 1

I would give Barden a bit of a run in the team and let Tim and McGovern be there to give him some support. Plenty of time this season to find out if he is up to the job of number 2 keeper, or even alternate him with Tim on a match by match basis.

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

I would give Barden a bit of a run in the team and let Tim and McGovern be there to give him some support. Plenty of time this season to find out if he is up to the job of number 2 keeper, or even alternate him with Tim on a match by match basis.

Personally I dont think this is the time to be trialling out a young player whilst top of the league. The idea is to stretch out our lead until we are beyond reach. Has to be Krul and back up of McGovern. Mcgovern should be moved on in the summer and better quality no.2 brought in to compete with Krul. 

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Personally I dont think this is the time to be trialling out a young player whilst top of the league. The idea is to stretch out our lead until we are beyond reach. Has to be Krul and back up of McGovern. Mcgovern should be moved on in the summer and better quality no.2 brought in to compete with Krul. 

So much better..... that he is happy to spend his time sat on the bench

30 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The best team in the universe (@ Leeds United Tm) have a 20 year old as their first choice keeper.

Yes, but he has made some right rickets this season. As Leeds are a bang average mid table team, that isn't crucial, but WHEN we go up next season and are pushing for a Champions League place, I would hate it if our 20 year old, wet behind the ears shot stopper, made that crucial error that dumped us into the Europa League

Edited by Crabbycanary3

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

So much better..... that he is happy to spend his time sat on the bench

Theres no guarantee of any no.2 sitting on the bench, as this season has proved. We need a back up goalkeeper who is also going to challenge Krul for number 1 spot, for the short / long term. Nyland could be an option if good enough and has recovered from his injury. 

Would you be happy with Barden playing number 2 next season if we go to the premiership? Or McGovern? Personally I wouldnt want either. Barden needs to develop his game and McGovern is nowhere near prem quality.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Yes, but he has made some right rickets this season. As Leeds are a bang average mid table team, that isn't crucial, but WHEN we go up next season and are pushing for a Champions League place, I would hate it if our 20 year old, wet behind the ears shot stopper, made that crucial error that dumped us into the Europa League

I'm sick of your negativity Crabby. What do you mean 'pushing' for a Champions League place?? It's a nailed on certainty!

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm sick of your negativity Crabby. What do you mean 'pushing' for a Champions League place?? It's a nailed on certainty!

I was trying to put over a balanced, fair, opinion over, without getting head of myself, after all their are people reading this who don't think we are even getting promoted this season......🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I was trying to put over a balanced, fair, opinion over, without getting head of myself, after all their are people reading this who don't think we are even getting promoted this season......🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

It is my solemn duty to inform you that putting over 'balanced and fair opinions' on an internet message board will never catch on. 

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It is my solemn duty to inform you that putting over 'balanced and fair opinions' on an internet message board will never catch on. 

Acknowledged TL. Will try and remember for next time

I'll even try to spell 'there' correctly next time as well 😞 

Assume this thread is in reference to the story about him maybe getting another contract.

If so then in my opinion that only makes sense if all of our other keepers go out on loan.

We have a lot of young keepers now, Oxborough, Barden, Mair, McCracken, Rose, Blair all on pro contracts and of course they need game time but Barden has done enough to suggest that he can more than cope with first team football and Mair will come back from his loan with experience.

However, yes we need a back up who will push Krul but McGovern at 37 is not that option for me.

The youngsters all need game time, so I would agree that a number two that can push Krul is a good idea. I'd take a loan there, as it worked very well with Fährmann - at least in terms of pushing Krul onwards, but Oxborough and Barden need regular games at this stage of their development. Obviously they were planning that for Oxborough with the loan to Salford until he got injured. Barden's hinting he could hold on in the Championship but it's very hard to tell from two performances (I include Coventry as they are a Championship team and put pretty much their best team out in our FA Cup tie), although he certainly looks composed enough with his feet.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but a goalie who is that comfortable with the ball at his feet probably will have the other fundamentals in place in essence (good footwork is key to handling crosses and any high, swirling balls), but needs to work on them in a match scenario. I suspect Barden will become a nicely complete goalie in five years, although at the moment he clearly has some filling out to do. So I certainly would not want him as a number two in the Premiership.

Realistically the youngsters are all three years away at least.

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

When is the time to give a young keeper a run, best done in a winning team imo

This is madness. The best time to give a young keeper a run is not when it could cost you 100m (or whatever the prize of promotion is now days) it's only near the end of the season and you have nothing to play for or you know that he's the next big thing. Actually, it's best to get someone else to do it for you in their team.

Barden has looked decent without really being tested too much, he hasn't let in any howlers and he hasn't pulled off any overly testing saves. They've either been relatively routine and he's saved them or goals that he wasn't expected to save. Looked decent and comfortable with his feet but I think it's far too early to tell if he's actually good enough or not from what we have seen, whilst promising. This is nowhere near enough and would be risking a possible promotion.

McGovern or Barden could be 3rd choice in the Premier League but neither should be considered 2nd choice.

• Like 1

It seems likely Barden will be going out on loan next season if we go up, but I think we will be okay with him as 2nd choice for the rest of this season if we don't bring anyone else in. Maybe the minutes he's had so far and a couple more appearances might help get him a really good loan deal for next season. Could be the difference between whether he goes on loan to a National League club or to an EFL club.

He's done great so far but at his age I don't think it's fair to expect him to consistently perform so well.