Petriix

Hugill's (lack of) movement

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

Why are you looking over a 4 year period? Martins banged shed more goals, brings more to the table and has outscored Hugill this year in a far worse side! So yep I’d say as their third choice he’s still better than Hugill....you need to take off those City specs......he’s not good enough for a side like ours...... additionally people say about a plan b we don’t do that, we still play the same style even if we’re chasing a game! We need better, and I’m not sure Idah is going to be that player, as much as I rave about Idah, he’s got the potential to be a brilliant player, hope he fulfills that.

Its nothing to do with city specs considering I've already said he's not shown enough so far this season

Chris martin is third choice with 1708 league minutes? He's scored 2 goals in that time.

Hugill has scored one in 450 minutes.

You wrote him off early and seem to be desperately hoping he proves you right. You a little scared after todays game? 

50 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Whatever mate you just wanted to slag him off and pretend to be insightful and debonair. It didn’t work.

F8A6AD63-A44A-451C-B71F-EAFCC9284668.jpeg

So what do you disagree with? Do you think his movement is actually better than I'm giving him credit for? Do you think we should just avoid playing through-balls because he won't run on to them? Should we play more to his strengths? What do you think his strengths are?

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Thought he was really decent today, and I have not been convinced by him at all to date.

Strong, held the ball up really well considering who he had around him, and forced a good save from the keeper that Cantwell put in on the rebound. Thought he looked a lot sharper with the ball at his feet too.

Surprised by the criticism he has attracted today, but I guess it's important to find someone to have a pop at given Todd and Kenny have stepped it up so much and we're only 50 points off 24 games....

Spot on. People are panic-searching for their next player to lay into.

Edited by hogesar

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Its nothing to do with city specs considering I've already said he's not shown enough so far this season

Chris martin is third choice with 1708 league minutes? He's scored 2 goals in that time.

Hugill has scored one in 450 minutes.

You wrote him off early and seem to be desperately hoping he proves you right. You a little scared after todays game? 

I’ve not written him off I’m commenting on his performances, he’s not a player I would have expected us to sign considering the way we play and his background, I was surprised but I’m not surprised it’s not really working out!

I can only call it as it is, his best game and still really not a game changer in anyway. Time will tell.

Just now, Petriix said:

So what do you disagree with? Do you think his movement is actually better than I'm giving him credit for? Do you think we should just avoid playing through-balls because he won't run on to them? Should we play more to his strengths? What do you think his strengths are?

I think McCleans been playing alright and you are panicking 0B16378C-3152-4804-9FD0-B2CEF82E40F1.thumb.jpeg.6cb2755f03d0e71df7cb5be728a9c305.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

I think McCleans been playing alright and you are panicking 0B16378C-3152-4804-9FD0-B2CEF82E40F1.thumb.jpeg.6cb2755f03d0e71df7cb5be728a9c305.jpeg

So basically you don't have a point, but you like to insult people. And now you're changing the subject because you don't have the cognitive ability to create a reasoned argument.

• Like 1

McLean had a good game. 

I can't stop thinking that Hugill is a better player than what we are seeing. 

He won't get by for long on adequate performances.....and that's generous on today's showing. 

5/10 for me. He is better than that. 

Hugill's a striker who, when it comes to scoring goals generally wants crosses to attack. High ones, low ones - no matter. Just get down the bye line and cut one back, or send one in from a bit deeper - either as a floater or in the corridor of uncertainty between a retreating defence facing their own goal and the goalie, and that's where he is most dangerous in goalscoring terms.

In our line-up today, he's there as a focal point. If he scores, great, but his physical presence may drag the second centre-half away so the three attacking midfielders have a bit more space. In those cases, it's a bonus if he can make the runs off the shoulder like Pukki does. More than anything, you want him battering centre-halves, dragging them around - or even if he goes wide, occupy the centre-half on that side and the full-back.

As others have said, he suffers simply by not being Pukki, whose movement on the shoulder is exceptional. 

Essentially, it's this: in our current line-up, Hugill's there to provide nuisance value. If he doesn't score, he creates space for attacks. He did that very well today.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Petriix said:

So basically you don't have a point, but you like to insult people. And now you're changing the subject because you don't have the cognitive ability to create a reasoned argument.

Look, mate, the only guy on here who agrees with you is Bill, and he’s brain damaged.

Hugill isn’t Pukki, he’s a different type of player, he’s come in and we’ve got 2 wins but you fancied having a pop at him because you are a pr1ck. End of story.

Hugill did better today but his first touch is awful in a lot of cases. 

He’s better, moving in the right direction yes, is there more to come from him yes I hope so. 

14 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Look, mate, the only guy on here who agrees with you is Bill, and he’s brain damaged.

Hugill isn’t Pukki, he’s a different type of player, he’s come in and we’ve got 2 wins but you fancied having a pop at him because you are a pr1ck. End of story.

It's a sad life you lead to go around insulting people who you disagree with, but somehow can't explain why. I've not 'had a pop' at him, just said how much better he could be. Maybe it confused you because I wrapped my point inside a joke about going to the toilet?

Most people seem to agree that Hugill has limitations; many seem to think that we should be ok with that. Some (including me) think that we are yet to see the best of him and wonder how much he will improve.

If you can't comprehend that level of nuance then please go and find some other thread to post on. 

• Like 1

Interesting that, according to the statistical analysis (which is by no means the whole picture), Hugill was our lowest rated starting player. A solid performance but plenty of room for improvement.

Thankfully we have a highly analytical coaching setup so I'm sure they will be helping him identify areas for him to work on, like his movement. No one expects him to be Pukki, and indeed Pukki himself is far from perfect.

I suspect that Hugill will continue to improve if given a run in the starting 11. Hopefully the team as a whole will continue to find a way of winning. We do appear to have another gear still to find.

Edited by Petriix

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Interesting that, according to the statistical analysis (which is by no means the whole picture), Hugill was our lowest rated starting player. A solid performance but plenty of room for improvement.

Thankfully we have a a highly analytical coaching setup so I'm sure they will be helping him identify areas for him to work on, like his movement. No one expects him to be Pukki, and indeed Pukki himself is far from perfect.

I suspect that Hugill will continue to improve if given a run in the starting 11. Hopefully the team as a whole will continue to find a way of winning. We do appear to have another gear still to find.

I hope that young Idah will be back shortly to give us better competition, that might gee all the players to know they have competition for places.

8 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Bloody hell, what a load of b0ll0cks

did you have your pinky out as you typed that?

2 apps, 2 wins, not our principal striker. Doing what he’s been brought in to do. 

This a football forum for NCFC which include match reaction and analysis.

There are different opinions coming up from different posters all the time - ARE you going to personally abuse every one of them ?

Where do people discuss the football game ? - on a **** site ?!

• Like 2

Today he led the line well, the Cardiff defenders struggled to manage him, he did take a few shots, and worked very hard.  I felt he could have retained the ball better, and his decision making was questionable at time.  He needs game time, he was a suitable replacement for Pukki, he was an outlet and allowed the team to keep the same structure. 

Thought he did ok yesterday to be fair and there are some definite signs of improvement. We miss Pukkis runs in behind when he’s not there. With the counters we had yesterday I think we would have scored a hatful with Teemu playing. Hugill remains a scrappy player whose touch is not always the best. But I thought he put himself about well, won a few balls and free kicks he had no real right to win and there were a free signs that Emi and Todd are learning how to play off him when he holds it up with his back to goal. I think our lower than normal possession stars were also due to us hitting the front man earlier than we sometimes do. 

• Like 2

it’s all very Aaron Wilbraham/“Wheelie Bin” isn’t it?

yet more pinkun deja vu! It’ll be “you’ll never guess who’s sleeping with “X’s” missus??” Next.

Funny thing was, it took an excellent save from Smithies to deny him - and it came from a run off the shoulder where he took a ball that was fairly arrowed in before he got a good shot off, leading to Cantwell poaching the rebound.

What amuses me is that it really should be well-known that players rarely hit the ground running and need quality game time to get used to how their team mates work before their own games click into form - as Rupp and McGovern amply demonstrated this season. As @Jim Smith rightly noted, there were signs Emi and Todd were also learning how to play with him, which is useful considering he's usually more of a player who wants to get on the end of crosses.

Hugely agree.

I think on reflection yesterday Hugill looked improved in part down to @Jim Smith's point about us hitting him earlier and getting players around him, but also Hugills movement which is very different to Pukkis but equally was decent.

He varied his runs far more than any other game I've watched him in where he's been pretty static. Its not hard to prove either, look at the first goal where he runs off the shoulder of the defender, then 5 minutes later he comes short and lays off to Buendia. A couple minutes after that he goes wide and offers Aarons a long out ball where he holds it up against the Cardiff defender.

There's another time he holds the ball and instead of laying it off actually turns one defender and bulldozes past the other 

16 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

McLean had a good game. 

I can't stop thinking that Hugill is a better player than what we are seeing. 

He won't get by for long on adequate performances.....and that's generous on today's showing. 

5/10 for me. He is better than that.

That being the point

Hugill had a 'mare' yesterday, and would struggle to make the bench against Bristol after that.

Not unexpectedly this means the numpties will not only attempt to deny how bad he was, but claim his game was on par with Cantwell and McKean. Whilst some will also claim we are 'having a go at him, attacking him' etc

The reality is Hugill did not have a good game yesterday - that was obvious.

However one game dies not define a player not should it here. And one of the notable aspects of the coaching set up as how many players have blossomed' over the months after initially being written off.

Let's hope that happens with Hugill, for both his and the squads sake.

Hugill will get the chance of a run in the team against Bristol C and Barnsley and maybe more.  Need to get behind him because Pukki or Idah will not be fit enough to appear.  Would have liked to see Omotoye given 15-20 mins but with only a single goal in it no chance.  He will offer something different to Hugill want to see him at Barnsley.  

18 hours ago, Bill said:

'making breaking runs' ?

that rather suggests those players were not sticking to the formation, but were reacting to the play - as you will find happens throughout the game

but do feel free to grab a snapshot of the players when they are in this formation at any time in the game

and what part of the formation was Hugill keeping to when he grabbed the ball, being as he was in our half - or when Cantwell was winning the ball from their player in our open box, or scoring when he was in their pen box ?where

or could it be that where a player is at any one point during a game is down to where the ball is, the opposition players are or a varying combination of the two ?

Are you suggesting that players can only be in a formation if they never break away from their position? 

Or are you saying because a team's formation changes depending on whether they are attacking, defending, in possession or out of possession as well as where the ball is on the pitch - the formation doesn't exist?

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here Bill!

Can you imagine how badly a team would do if it just stayed in a 4-2-3-1 starting position and never went forwards / backwards / left / right and no players interchanged with one another for any amount of time?

Sounds like your idea of football is more comparable with the kind that gets played on a table, not a pitch...

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

To be fair to Hugill, that was his best game to date, pretty much that’s him in a nutshell, will he improve with games, doubtful he’ll get anywhere what our club should have as second choice, he looks knackered most games.

For me I’d loved for us to actually spent a little more on an better option in the summer, so my criticism isn’t at Hugill as this is what you get but more the club for not finding a better fit for the club. I think they thought Idah would make that step I suppose, so far due to injury and Covid not really happened.

It will be interesting if we rest Buendia and play Placheta next game to provide crosses for Hugill next game.

Perfectly happy with Jordan. People had been calling out for a ‘Grant Holt’ type striker to offer us something different, and now we’ve got one, it’s not enough!

Didn’t, and don’t, expect him to score every game either. He assisted our winner yesterday, bagged the 3 points very calmly at Rovrum too - there’s 2 match winning contributions I can think of off the top of my head during the minimal minutes he’s played. I wish people would stop being d1cks towards new people that come into the club, it’s like they aren’t content unless they’ve got someone to criticise.

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

To be fair to Hugill, that was his best game to date, pretty much that’s him in a nutshell, will he improve with games, doubtful he’ll get anywhere what our club should have as second choice, he looks knackered most games.

For me I’d loved for us to actually spent a little more on an better option in the summer, so my criticism isn’t at Hugill as this is what you get but more the club for not finding a better fit for the club. I think they thought Idah would make that step I suppose, so far due to injury and Covid not really happened.

It will be interesting if we rest Buendia and play Placheta next game to provide crosses for Hugill next game.

It's just about the best known thing in football that a player - any player - needs a run of games to get up to full speed and fitness. And if they are new to a club they need a run of games to get used to playing with their new team mates and vice versa. Why should it be any different in Hugill's case? 

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's just about the best known thing in football that a player - any player - needs a run of games to get up to full speed and fitness. And if they are new to a club they need a run of games to get used to playing with their new team mates and vice versa. Why should it be any different in Hugill's case? 

Hugill has been at 14 clubs in his playing time, surely this must say something about his shortcomings?  
Whilst I agree, Drmic had that run and looked far worse each time he played! So not always the case.

My view is m own, I don’t see much in his game, works to disrupt the front line put himself about but lacks any real quality, really think we should have pushed the boat out instead of looking to try finding another Holt.....each to their own. 👍