Branston Pickle

Tonight’s lineup...

I imagine there’ll be few changes, but wonder if Todd will start:

McGovern

Max - Zimm - Grant - Sorensen

Skipp - Tettey 

Emi       Vrancic     Todd

Teemu

Bench to include Martin, Hugill, Dowell, Kenny, Stiepi (possibly Krul), Barden, Omotoye 

The bench is definitely starting to look a lot stronger; we are coming to the end of a pretty gruelling run, after the Cardiff game the guys will probably be looking forward to no midweek match next week!

I’m still a bit confused about Xavi - the comments from yesterday suggested he’d been to Spain and was back quarantining/training in isolation ...does that mean he’s back and getting fit, so ready to play in a week or so?  I half expect him to either pop up ‘unexpectedly’ tonight/on Saturday, or alternatively that we never see him again!

Edited by Branston Pickle

I'm not a fan of Vrancic as 10 and also not a fan of Tettey and Skipp in midfield together, not sure how fit Dowell is but - without risking him - would swap him for Tettey and drop Vrancic back. Other than that, I agree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I was baffled by the Xavi report as well! 

It is a bit odd, but I suppose if hes recovering and keeping himself in shape but unable to take part in full on training, he might as well be back in Spain until he can get amongst the lads at Colney. No point really in him hanging around in Norfolk until he can take an active part in group  training. 

as above

it might be better to start Mclean and have Tettey to see out the latter part of the game if we are winning

I would expect Farke to use the subs to reduce the strain of another full 90 mins

so we should see Dowell, Martin and Hugill (in that order with Omotoye given a longer rime on the pitch

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

. No point really in him hanging around in Norfolk until he can take an active part in group  training. 

No, as he is now serving out his quarantine time. Until that is completed he can't train with the rest of the squad - but is able to train here under the clubs guidance

though to be top after the number of injuries is an indication of what should lie ahead once we back to a full squad

that there really is no key player that we are heavily dependent upon - no one wants any player missing, but when they are we have been able adequately cover, and that is what points to a very successful season

I think we need to be physically on it tonight. Reading play with high intensity, and we'll need to match that. I think Stiepi dovetailing with Pukki is probably the best bet, with the creativity of Emi and Todd in the mix too. That leaves the game management skills of Tettey, the craft of Vrancic and the pace of Martin on the bench. This also enables us to 'rotate' three players to share the load.

------------------------------------------McGovern----------------------------------------------

---Aarons------------Hanley--------------------Zimmermann------Sorensen----

---------------------------Skipp-------------------------McLean-------------------------------

----------Buendía-----------------Stiepermann----------------Cantwell---------------

----------------------------------------------Pukki--------------------------------------------------

Subs: Barden, Omobamidele, Tettey, Vrancic, Dowell, Martin, Hugill, Omotoye.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Bill said:

there really is no key player that we are heavily dependent upon

Pukki!! Skipp would leave a big hole too.  

I thought Tettey was fantastic against Blackburn. He's become much more diverse with his passing latterly and he is adding a real creative side to his game. He does still wander out of position, especially when we lose the ball, but I think he's the much more complete player compared to Kenny. I'd be happy to see him keep his place.

I also though Cantwell brought a bit of an edge of something we were lacking when he came on. Maybe another substitute appearance to have an impact from the bench.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Once we have a full squad we would be OK, as has been shown by being top when we have had 11 or so squad members out

and don't we have tge option of 5 subs ?

53 minutes ago, Bill said:

Once we have a full squad we would be OK, as has been shown by being top when we have had 11 or so squad members out

and don't we have tge option of 5 subs ?

Yes Biluous, I'm  sure you're  right....as always. 

Cough.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think we need to be physically on it tonight. Reading play with high intensity, and we'll need to match that. I think Stiepi dovetailing with Pukki is probably the best bet, with the creativity of Emi and Todd in the mix too. That leaves the game management skills of Tettey, the craft of Vrancic and the pace of Martin on the bench. This also enables us to 'rotate' three players to share the load.

------------------------------------------McGovern----------------------------------------------

---Aarons------------Hanley--------------------Zimmermann------Sorensen----

---------------------------Skipp-------------------------McLean-------------------------------

----------Buendía-----------------Stiepermann----------------Cantwell---------------

----------------------------------------------Pukki--------------------------------------------------

Subs: Barden, Omobamidele, Tettey, Vrancic, Dowell, Martin, Hugill, Omotoye.

Pretty much this

I would also be tempted to start Cantwell ahead of Martin but expect Farke to pick the same side as Saturday.

Whats interesting tonight is that apparently they have no full backs fit so will be playing centre backs at full back.

Its a bit of a shame, therefore, that we have no fit wingers as the wide areas could be a source of joy tonight. On the flipside, presumably their attacking threat down the flanks will be a bit less than normal. 

Surely for Quimtella to see out isolation period he needs to be in the UK, sunning himself in Spain will not qualify.  Another 10 days of rest when he manages to return.  Much rather he stays injured and we curtail his loan if promoted believe we are obliged to buy he is limited defensively in EFL cannot see him improving in the PL.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

that there really is no key player that we are heavily dependent upon - no one wants any player missing, but when they are we have been able adequately cover, and that is what points to a very successful season

Total championship games played since Emi Buendia arrived is 64 in which we have gained 131 points. 

Emi has started 53 of those games producing 122 points which is 2.3 points per game, equivalent to 106 points in a 46 game season. 

In the 11 games he didn't start we've gained 9 points which is 0.8 points per game equivalent to 37 in a full season. 

With Emi in the team we set a Championship points record. Without him we don't get enough points to stay up,  so to suggest that we don't rely on one player is a bit wide of the mark. 

• Like 2

I don't think this is a game for Vrancic at 10. Reading have two very high pressure, mobile midfielders who run for fun and they will be all over him. We need someone there who can protect the ball under pressure

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Total championship games played since Emi Buendia arrived is 64 in which we have gained 131 points. 

Emi has started 53 of those games producing 122 points which is 2.3 points per game, equivalent to 106 points in a 46 game season. 

In the 11 games he didn't start we've gained 9 points which is 0.8 points per game equivalent to 37 in a full season. 

With Emi in the team we set a Championship points record. Without him we don't get enough points to stay up,  so to suggest that we don't rely on one player is a bit wide of the mark. 

And now apply those stats to Pukki, just for balance you understand.

I think we are at least a two man team.

That thing about Emi is a bit of a silly stat -we all know that he’s a decent player but this does rather overstate it and it could indeed be applied to others.  But it is also misleading as there have been several games when Emi started but the points were won after he’d gone off.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

No, as he is now serving out his quarantine time. Until that is completed he can't train with the rest of the squad - but is able to train here under the clubs guidance

though to be top after the number of injuries is an indication of what should lie ahead once we back to a full squad

I believe the report also used a caveat 'til he has his negative test' 

Why do so many want McClean back in starting? We’ve been a far better team without him! I’d start Skipp and Tettey or Vrancic with Dowell at 10 or event Cantwell.

I’d start with....

——————————McGovern,

Aarons, Zimmermann, Hanley, Sorensen    
———————-Tettey or Vrancic,Skipp

Buendia——————Dowell or Cantwell————Cantwell or Martin

—————————Pukki

I wouldn’t start either Steipermann or McClean both are just too slow, give the ball away too much.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Surely for Quimtella to see out isolation period he needs to be in the UK, sunning himself in Spain will not qualify.  Another 10 days of rest when he manages to return.  Much rather he stays injured and we curtail his loan if promoted believe we are obliged to buy he is limited defensively in EFL cannot see him improving in the PL.

Bit rude, not his fault he's injured.

• Haha 1

against Reading I'd like to see

McGovern

Aarons, Hanley, Zimmerman, Sorenson

Skipp, Vrancic

Buendia, Cantwell, Martin

Pukki

Subs : whoever else is available. 

With them having no established Left Back, that Aarons/Buendia overlap spot could prove to be somewhere we could have a lot of success. 

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Skipp has been a key part of our success imo, hope we can hang on to him when we go up.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Indy said:

Why do so many want McClean back in starting? We’ve been a far better team without him! I’d start Skipp and Tettey or Vrancic with Dowell at 10 or event Cantwell.

I’d start with....

——————————McGovern,

—————————Pukki

I wouldn’t start either Steipermann or McClean both are just too slow, give the ball away too much.

McClean is a squad player for me, will come in and do a workmanlike job, all squads need these players, but thats as far as it goes.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’d start with....

——————————McGovern,

—————————Pukki

Every time Kenny has come on as a sub, we have improved our performance. That doesn't mean he should necessarily start, and could in part be down to fresh legs, but just because he's not flashy it doesn't mean he has nothing to add to our performance.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think this is a game for Vrancic at 10. Reading have two very high pressure, mobile midfielders who run for fun and they will be all over him. We need someone there who can protect the ball under pressure

And now apply those stats to Pukki, just for balance you understand.

I think we are at least a two man team.

Even Bill wouldn't be stupid enough to argue about Pukki, especially in the Championship........ 

Arguably, Pukki and Buendia are the two most valuable players to ever play in the Championship in terms of the effect they have on the team. The fact that they cost us less than £6m is incredible. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog