Canary dwarf

We are gonna **** this league

3 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

As promising and pleasing on the eye Godfrey is, I actually think we look more solid with Gibson there instead and an actual fit centre back next to him.

Gibson is one of the best in the league at progressing the ball out of the back as well if you look at the stats.

In terms of centre backs we could have attracted and afforded, Gibson is as good as it gets and has already pissed this league once already.

It remains to be seen if he'd cut it in the prem but after a full season of getting match sharpness and exp, I don't see why not. We only need to come 17th to make it a success compared to the objective of promotion from this league so its not like we need the PL equivalent if we went up.

Regardless, its pretty pointless to look that far ahead for transfer strategy as its got to be all about this season first and foremost.

As for the new guys, I actually think Ollie Skipp is the key, he's looked a class above any defensive mid we've had for years since Tettey was at his peak. We actually look like a functioning side rather than a pretty team that just crumbles apart under any pressure now with that Skipp/Rupp axis running the show in the middle. If we went up, Skipp would be top of my shopping list either on loan again or on permanent if Spurs are mad enough to let him go.

We desperately need Krul to get back and then somehow stay clear of any more injuries until at least Jan really or it could fall to bits pretty quickly at this level, we are down to our bare bones and I'd imagine a few of the lads will be getting fatigued very soon if we don't manage a bit of rotation in the next few weeks. Cantwell, Dowell and Rupp will be back in the next week or 2 hopefully as well which would be a huge boost.

I read a story a few weeks ago, I don't know how true the content is, that Mourhino is bigging up Skipp in order to get a bigger price when they sell him. He apparently wants more money to spend and this is one way of getting it. If we get promoted, £15m? I think it would be worth it.

5 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

I read a story a few weeks ago, I don't know how true the content is, that Mourhino is bigging up Skipp in order to get a bigger price when they sell him. He apparently wants more money to spend and this is one way of getting it. If we get promoted, £15m? I think it would be worth it.

If we go up and Skipp remains as big a part of that then £15m would be a bargain

6 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

There have been a few murmurs of this, hasn’t there?, despite some carefully worded slips to this press where Mourinho has lauded him as the future England captain, there have been a few words coming out of Spurs disputing this - I think Tim Sherwood basically said Skipp isn’t wanted by Jose and this is a good way of getting the maximum possible for him. I wouldn’t mind betting we’ll be able to buy him if we find £15mil. 

£15m would be a very reasonable price for us to pay IF Skipp is available at the end of the season, we should buy  him even if we dont go up.....he'd be an asset.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

£15m would be a very reasonable price for us to pay IF Skipp is available at the end of the season, we should buy  him even if we dont go up.....he'd be an asset.

15 million

For a young promising English player who just got his team promoted

Who belongs to Spurs

Maybe if you doubled or tripped the price you just gave him then he might join us.

Might not would.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

20 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Ok you're good with him not contributing goals Chicken - now how about his failure to defend ?

At this point I'm just doubting how serious you are and believing you just may be someone from TWTD who is a bit disgruntled at their own message board meltdown.

I say that because supposedly creating chances against teams that park the bus is easier. And speed is everything, despite a number of our quality full backs over the years never being outright pacey.

But also because you have nothing to back up your arguments with.

What I will say is that compared to the 2018-19 season we are a point and a goal better off, and we have done well defensively considering they have been one of the most consistent parts of the team. Back in 2018-19 we didn't have huge injury problems, but were still trying to find a style, settle in players and our best 11.

This season we have dealt with most of our first choice being out of action for at least a couple of games. Bar, as things stand, CB and RB.

Chance to put daylight between us and 3rd tomorrow night! Would be very useful going into a tough run of games while we nurse back plenty of players!

5 hours ago, chicken said:

At this point I'm just doubting how serious you are and believing you just may be someone from TWTD who is a bit disgruntled at their own message board meltdown.

I say that because supposedly creating chances against teams that park the bus is easier. And speed is everything, despite a number of our quality full backs over the years never being outright pacey.

But also because you have nothing to back up your arguments with.

What I will say is that compared to the 2018-19 season we are a point and a goal better off, and we have done well defensively considering they have been one of the most consistent parts of the team. Back in 2018-19 we didn't have huge injury problems, but were still trying to find a style, settle in players and our best 11.

This season we have dealt with most of our first choice being out of action for at least a couple of games. Bar, as things stand, CB and RB.

Just want to clarify I'm not associated with TWTD but obviously you think you're clever making that reference !

I look at performances a lot closer than just points at the end of a day. Did you notice we have been fortunate for quite a number of the games ? How many points would we have if Stearman hadn't stuffed up for Huddersfield with that back pass or Ihiekwe hadn't put into his own net for Rotherham or McLean's shot hadn't taken a wicked deflection against Brentford or Taveniers penalty hadn't touch both feet or if the ref saw it the other way for Stoke's 3rd goal ? You can basically take about 10 points off our total ! I 'm happy taking the luck and the points but we have to be honest with ourselves and say the team is not playing as they did in 2018-19 (even before the players got injured). 

There's a lot more to defending than just heading the ball away from the opposing keepers goalkicks or clearances. Throw in something tricky like defending balls played into your "red" zone from open play - not "red" zone from setplay where you can organise yourself. Gibson didn't defend the goals conceded against Coventry and Wednesday very well did he ? Surely this is how to gauge a defender's performance. We're not talking about an academy kid but an England international that we've brought in.  He's played in that position so long he should be better than Godrey, who is a converted midfielder. There's also no pressure on him - Skipp, Rupp and Tettey wins the majority of ball for us at the middle of the park so the opposition have only a handful of opportunities per game - so disappointing he hasn't managed to prevent those goals. Of course Reach's ball was perfect and McGovern should have come out for it. 

With the run of games against Reading, Cardiff & Watford during Christmas this was the perfect opportunity for him to redeem himself, but now he get's injured.

The yardstick for the team is 2018-19 performances. If we can't do that (and we haven't) then we must stop conceding goals to minimise the number of goals our forwards have to chase. Surely expecting an England international to play like one isn't asking too much is it ??!! Of cource if you're not happy clapper then you must to an Ipswich Town supporter right ?

3 hours ago, Six Pack said:

I look at performances a lot closer than just points at the end of a day. Did you notice we have been fortunate for quite a number of the games ? How many points would we have if Stearman hadn't stuffed up for Huddersfield with that back pass or Ihiekwe hadn't put into his own net for Rotherham or McLean's shot hadn't taken a wicked deflection against Brentford or Taveniers penalty hadn't touch both feet or if the ref saw it the other way for Stoke's 3rd goal ? You can basically take about 10 points off our total ! I 'm happy taking the luck and the points but we have to be honest with ourselves and say the team is not playing as they did in 2018-19 (even before the players got injured). 

If you are going to plead that, then it does work both ways (Bournemouth, Derby and Millwall off the top of my head) plus if other teams had the amount and quality of injuries that we have had, they would have less points, undoubtedly. There's a lot of bad luck right there,  in my eyes. It's football and creates a talking point at the time, but over a season quality shines through. We have that quality and, by and large, any 'luck' we get, we have created because of that (that includes things like Ihiekwe for example). Let's hope it shines through enough to get us over the line with promotion as opposed to losing  in the playoffs because a bit of bad luck stuffs us on that particular day.

Do you not think the Brentford performance warranted a point or are you just basing your argument on one shot? Do you not think the performances deserved wins against Huddersfield and Rotherham?

4 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Just want to clarify I'm not associated with TWTD but obviously you think you're clever making that reference !

There's a lot more to defending than just heading the ball away from the opposing keepers goalkicks or clearances. Throw in something tricky like defending balls played into your "red" zone from open play - not "red" zone from setplay where you can organise yourself. Gibson didn't defend the goals conceded against Coventry and Wednesday very well did he ? Surely this is how to gauge a defender's performance. We're not talking about an academy kid but an England international that we've brought in.  He's played in that position so long he should be better than Godrey, who is a converted midfielder. There's also no pressure on him - Skipp, Rupp and Tettey wins the majority of ball for us at the middle of the park so the opposition have only a handful of opportunities per game - so disappointing he hasn't managed to prevent those goals. Of course Reach's ball was perfect and McGovern should have come out for it. 

With the run of games against Reading, Cardiff & Watford during Christmas this was the perfect opportunity for him to redeem himself, but now he get's injured.

The yardstick for the team is 2018-19 performances. If we can't do that (and we haven't) then we must stop conceding goals to minimise the number of goals our forwards have to chase. Surely expecting an England international to play like one isn't asking too much is it ??!! Of cource if you're not happy clapper then you must to an Ipswich Town supporter right ?

We are conceding less goals.

3 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

If you are going to plead that, then it does work both ways (Bournemouth, Derby and Millwall off the top of my head) plus if other teams had the amount and quality of injuries that we have had, they would have less points, undoubtedly. There's a lot of bad luck right there,  in my eyes. It's football and creates a talking point at the time, but over a season quality shines through. We have that quality and, by and large, any 'luck' we get, we have created because of that (that includes things like Ihiekwe for example). Let's hope it shines through enough to get us over the line with promotion as opposed to losing  in the playoffs because a bit of bad luck stuffs us on that particular day.

Do you not think the Brentford performance warranted a point or are you just basing your argument on one shot? Do you not think the performances deserved wins against Huddersfield and Rotherham?

I'm happy we won - no matter which way ! Through Rupp, Skipp and Tettey we have dominated the ball in most games. The performances are good in this aspect but we are lacking the quality in the final third to create lots of clear-cut scoring chances. The left side attack is very weak - the opposition knows where our attacking strength lays so concentrate their defence on Aarons, Pukki and Buendia. Resulting in fewer changes created. We have been fortunate in games but can't depend on opposition blunders indefinitely. We need to get back to what we were doing 2018-19 and overrun these teams via our sheer attacking quality ! We need players that can play that way - at the moment we have too many average players in our ranks ! Most fans think a run of games will get them up to speed - but there are some that just do not have the ability !

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

We are conceding less goals.

True - but Rupp, Skipp & Tettey winning 70% of the ball and starving the opposition has a lot to do with it.

On 08/12/2020 at 11:52, cambridgeshire canary said:

15 million

For a young promising English player who just got his team promoted

Who belongs to Spurs

Maybe if you doubled or tripped the price you just gave him then he might join us.

Might not would.

Unnecessary  hairsplitting. Read what I wrote . I didnt name the price, an earlier poster did.  Fact check  before you make yerself look  daft(er).

It was Alexo Mosso who suggested 15 million  , my response was to him. 

Hint: dont be so quick off the mark....saves ridicule .

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Unnecessary  hairsplitting. Read what I wrote . I didnt name the price, an earlier poster did.  Fact check  before you make yerself look  daft(er).

It was Alexo Mosso who suggested 15 million  , my response was to him. 

Hint: dont be so quick off the mark....saves ridicule .

ok

I don't think Ben Gibson is actually a full England international - he was in a squad once but didn't get a game. Nevertheless the points made about him by Six Pack are valid - he has made mistakes. But I would still take him over Godfrey as a defender (not as an overall footballer) and in particular as a centre back. His positioning overall is better, he is more aggressive and more composed in terms of leading the back four.

Every goal conceded is someone's fault. In the case of both the goals you highlight, Max Aarons contributed to both in not stopping the crosses - both turned out to be very good balls in. Yes, they should have been defended, but they shouldn't have come in at all. I wouldn't necessarily call out Aarons any more than I would Gibson or McGovern, whose positioning for both was pretty poor too.

As for Skipp, I don't think we have a hope of signing him for £15m if we go up!

7 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

The way we carried the attack tonight - starting to get back to 2018-19 level !

We were lucky.

Gibson was crap. He didn't score. 

10 hours ago, Six Pack said:

I'm happy we won - no matter which way ! Through Rupp, Skipp and Tettey we have dominated the ball in most games. The performances are good in this aspect but we are lacking the quality in the final third to create lots of clear-cut scoring chances. The left side attack is very weak - the opposition knows where our attacking strength lays so concentrate their defence on Aarons, Pukki and Buendia. Resulting in fewer changes created. We have been fortunate in games but can't depend on opposition blunders indefinitely. We need to get back to what we were doing 2018-19 and overrun these teams via our sheer attacking quality ! We need players that can play that way - at the moment we have too many average players in our ranks ! Most fans think a run of games will get them up to speed - but there are some that just do not have the ability !

I don’t agree with everything but do agree we have lacked offensive output from our left hand side and clearly as much as I love Stiepi and think we tend to play better with him in the side, he hasn’t had the same threat as the last time we were down.

Countering that, teams have sat in really deep leaving us limited to no space to operate in. I think Hernandez is a miss as he carries the pace threat of Placheta but also tricky close control and does look like he is more of a goal threat. Keen to see what difference Dowell may make too. I did say on the transfer thread last night that I’d like to potentially see one more forward come in. Idah is out to Feb and at the moment an injury to Pukki looks scary. 

We are the team that everyone wants to beat, Champions last time we were here and in the Premiership last season means that every team raises their game against us. That means we don't have any easy games and even the likes of Derby can snatch a win if we aren't focussed and fighting for every minute played.

But we're getting great results despite terrible injuries and you feel we can go up a gear from where we are now. So there are lots of reasons to be modestly confident that we can build on a really good first third of the season.

There was a Forest fan on Twitter following the game that said we were 'very, very average considering our budget and nothing special'. We're also very 'lucky'.

Top by 3 points with only 2 top 6 sides to play between now and the halfway point in the season (with 10+ first teamers out)- you make your own luck.

5 hours ago, chicken said:

We were lucky.

Gibson was crap. He didn't score. 

Gibson out injured last night KFC

15 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think Ben Gibson is actually a full England international - he was in a squad once but didn't get a game. Nevertheless the points made about him by Six Pack are valid - he has made mistakes. But I would still take him over Godfrey as a defender (not as an overall footballer) and in particular as a centre back. His positioning overall is better, he is more aggressive and more composed in terms of leading the back four.

Every goal conceded is someone's fault. In the case of both the goals you highlight, Max Aarons contributed to both in not stopping the crosses - both turned out to be very good balls in. Yes, they should have been defended, but they shouldn't have come in at all. I wouldn't necessarily call out Aarons any more than I would Gibson or McGovern, whose positioning for both was pretty poor too.

As for Skipp, I don't think we have a hope of signing him for £15m if we go up!

Worth noting that Gibson has had to play next to a makeshift left back.

Not taking anything away from the great job Sorenson has done filling in there, but it must surely be a hindrance to our left sided centre back. 

The he's got the complication, like the rest of our back four, of having to adjust from playing with a left footed keeper to a right footed keeper. 

11 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

There was a Forest fan on Twitter following the game that said we were 'very, very average considering our budget and nothing special'. We're also very 'lucky'.

You may wish to point out to them that Forest were the leagues biggest spenders this summer.

We were a bit lucky with the deflection, but so were they with their goal and apart from that they didn't have a shot on target. They bossed the second half but created very little thanks to an awesome performance by Hanley and Aarons in particular. Forest should have been buried by half-time and with a full squad to choose from I think they would have been.

37 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

We were a bit lucky with the deflection, but so were they with their goal and apart from that they didn't have a shot on target. 

Though technically not on target, Joe Lolley was unlucky to hit the post.

That said, Buendia was unlucky not to pull of that beautiful Cryuff turn chance.