Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Adam Idah covid

It would appear that an FAI member has tested positive and Idah and Conolly were removed from the Irish squad as they were deemed to be close contacts of this individual rather than testing positive themselves........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

Just now, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

It would appear that an FAI member has tested positive and Idah and Conolly were removed from the Irish squad as they were deemed to be close contacts of this individual rather than eating positive.......

That still means isolation 

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That still means isolation 

With the lack of service to our front men he’ll know a thing or two about isolation already I imagine! 

Houghton out!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

So you don't think he will be tested between now and the next Norwich game then?..........

I must admit I lost touch with the Government's guidelines a few weeks ago but I was under the impression that you have to self isolate if you have been in contact with an infected person. Have I got that wrong? Apologies if so. 

6 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Certainly the case for "Joe Public" not sure what the rules are in resect of elite sports people who are tested on a regular basis......

I'm sure the Prime Minister will know 

• Haha 2

The player has to isolate immediately, but the club will also immediately ask for a test, and should that come back as negative (almost always results are within 48hrs), the player can then return as normal from that point.

10 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

So you don't think he will be tested between now and the next Norwich game then?..........

Doesn't matter, he still has to isolate for 14 days as per the protocol. The 2 Scottish lads who are isolating due to contact tested negative, it's all to do with the incubation period 

Kieran Tierney has been told he has to isolate for 14 days after being in a room with Stuart Armstrong who has tested positive. Tierney has taken three tests since and all come back negative, and has also tested to show he has antibodies which would make him immune. So if Tierney, with all these caveats has to isolate you would think Idah will need to as well.

Michael Bailey has suggested that Idah will be able to play for Norwich if he tests negative though. Seems no one is really sure of the rules on this.

(There could potentially be different rules for Tierney and Idah though due to England/Scotland having different rules in general).

22 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Kieran Tierney has been told he has to isolate for 14 days after being in a room with Stuart Armstrong who has tested positive. Tierney has taken three tests since and all come back negative, and has also tested to show he has antibodies which would make him immune. So if Tierney, with all these caveats has to isolate you would think Idah will need to as well.

Michael Bailey has suggested that Idah will be able to play for Norwich if he tests negative though. Seems no one is really sure of the rules on this.

(There could potentially be different rules for Tierney and Idah though due to England/Scotland having different rules in general).

Damn, I came to this thread assuming you'd have the definitive answer!

7 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

The player has to isolate immediately, but the club will also immediately ask for a test, and should that come back as negative (almost always results are within 48hrs), the player can then return as normal from that point.

You sure? 

At my place of work if you show symptoms you go home, have a test, and return if negative. 

If you have been in close contact to somebody who has tested positive or have been alerted by test and trace you stay at home and self isolate for 14 days then return to work. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

45 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You sure? 

At my place of work if you show symptoms you go home, have a test, and return if negative. 

If you have been in close contact to somebody who has tested positive or have been alerted by test and trace you stay at home and self isolate for 14 days then return to work. 

Yep if you have symptoms your test will show either positive or negative. If you are classed as close contact to a positive you must isolate for 2 weeks as it may take 2 weeks for the symptoms to show and up to that for you to test positive. It is estimated you can be contagious up to 72 hours before you have any symptoms ( at least that’s what I think lol ).

I also understand the rules are different for elite sport and do not have to isolate that long via 2 negative results.

With outbreaks everywhere in elite sport I am struggling to see why some of these events are not being put on hold until a bit more control of the spread is in place.

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

With outbreaks everywhere in elite sport I am struggling to see why some of these events are not being put on hold until a bit more control of the spread is in place.

Money talks

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Yep if you have symptoms your test will show either positive or negative. If you are classed as close contact to a positive you must isolate for 2 weeks as it may take 2 weeks for the symptoms to show and up to that for you to test positive. It is estimated you can be contagious up to 72 hours before you have any symptoms ( at least that’s what I think lol ).

I also understand the rules are different for elite sport and do not have to isolate that long via 2 negative results.

The thinking is that if elite sports people are going around giving it to each other, it isn't really that much of an issue.

They should be regularly tested so they are minimal risk of un-knowingly spreading it around. To cancel elite sport costs millions and would cost many non-sports people their jobs. By keeping it open you are protecting those jobs while hopefully creating only a small additional risk of spreading the illness to vulnerable people. It is a risk/reward calculation and sport, without large numbers of fans packed into stadiums, falls more into the 'reward' side than the risk side. 

I think it's the understanding of the term "close contact" that might be the confusion. I read that to be someone you live with. Otherwise you rely on tests and Slack and Disgrace to <cough>lose your details<cough> erm, I mean let you know. I mean, I think.

At this point if anyone actually knows exactly what the government means, doesn't mean, has to mean, possibly not mean, if you have one sock on, one sock off, on a bus, not on a bus, on but only if you have to be on a bus which Boris makes as a hobby... 

• Haha 1

Its pretty farcical in my neck of the woods too. My friends daughter  had been in contact with someone who was tested positive.  She was told to await a call , they then texted her 4 times to expect a call and called her 4 times to expect a text, she then got a text and call to tell her her test was in 45 mins over 30 miles  away, her dad...a Binner btw had to drop work and get her there on time or they'd have to sit and wait untill there was a free few mins, he was a couple mins late , despite speeding  a lot of the journey  , they kindly kept the appointment but only jus,t even though the test centre was pretty  quiet, that . That was wednesday 4 pm  ...results guaranteed within  48 hrs , he just phoned me to say.......they haven't heard yet.  48 hrs 10 mins and counting.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The thinking is that if elite sports people are going around giving it to each other, it isn't really that much of an issue.

They should be regularly tested so they are minimal risk of un-knowingly spreading it around. To cancel elite sport costs millions and would cost many non-sports people their jobs. By keeping it open you are protecting those jobs while hopefully creating only a small additional risk of spreading the illness to vulnerable people. It is a risk/reward calculation and sport, without large numbers of fans packed into stadiums, falls more into the 'reward' side than the risk side. 

Risky indeed as high exposure is what has probably killed a high proportion of NHS staff and social care workers ( 620 up to August).

The complacency imo is staggering.    NORMAL FLU WOULD NOT KILL 620 OF THESE WORKERS !!!!!!

BTW.... In one country that I visit and suffered lockdown for four months , the Gambia, 30% of the people that have died have been medical staff/pharmacists.

Also, according to ONS,   BME people (black minority ethnic) are 4.2 times more likely to die than white people. Black players should therefore be taking even more care not to catch this disease imo.

Edited by paul moy

The idea that international football is being played when we’ve barely got domestic football up and running is stupid on a Suffolk scale

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

To cancel elite sport costs millions and would cost many non-sports people their jobs.

I think you'll find that is only true of the Premier League, and even then the more established clubs.

For the vast majority of clubs in the EFL they are losing money without the TV income to paper over it. If we get to the end of the season without at least a dozen clubs having issues, with still the vast majority of fans not in the stadium, in the EFL I will be shocked.

If you look around, I think you will already see non-sports people losing their jobs. Non sports people at football clubs already have. Those businesses that rely on matchdays for substantial business are likely to have been impacted as well.

As it stands, without fans, elite sports is as good as cancelled already for the vast majority of teams.

Just to clarify some misinformation on this thread above, having antibodies does not make you immune to the virus, spreading the virus or catching it again. 

Apologies if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but Sky Sports has reported the FAI as saying that Idah and Connolly were withdrawn because they sat next to the 'positive' staff member on the flight from Dublin. However, the staff member in question has now tested negative twice, which means that the FAI believe it was a false positive.

Does this mean Idah still has to isolate, especially if he has tested negative? It seems bonkers if someone who has tested negative, but had contact with a 'positive', actually has to isolate for as long, if not longer, than the person who tested positive in the first place.