Sign in to follow this  
ncfcstar

EFL/PL Joint Statement and Petition

EFL and PL final putting some pressure publicly on the Government to do something about the farce that is behind closed doors matches.  When the Albert Hall is having 3000 people (over 50% capacity) inside in December you've really got to question the motivation behind not allowing fans back in OUTDOORS.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/october/open-letter-to-supporters-together-we-will-get-fans-safely-back-into-grounds

Petition tweeted by the EFL here:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036

Fingers crossed we start seeing a return to matches, in a COVID secure environment, soon.

1 minute ago, ncfcstar said:

EFL and PL final putting some pressure publicly on the Government to do something about the farce that is behind closed doors matches.  When the Albert Hall is having 3000 people (over 50% capacity) inside in December you've really got to question the motivation behind not allowing fans back in OUTDOORS.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/october/open-letter-to-supporters-together-we-will-get-fans-safely-back-into-grounds

Petition tweeted by the EFL here:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036

Fingers crossed we start seeing a return to matches, in a COVID secure environment, soon.

The experiment with 1k seemed perfectly safe. If they open all stands I see no problem with 7 or 8k.

• Like 1

I suspect they may be surprised  with the response they get. I feel that a significant number of season ticket holders of many clubs are not in favor of a return of spectators. Germany  one of the very few countries to have done a half decent job with the pandemic allow football fans in 20% capacity but only if the clubs area has a rate of 35 cases per 100000 or less, there will not be many clubs in England that fit that criteria,  even us now with Great Yarmouth 92/100000 yesterday. We are struggling to keep things open at the moment let alone opening up more. Obviously the younger you are the lower the risk and probably the keener to get back,  i would not like to guess what proportion of our fan base is 50 and over

Now over 50000. Ludicrous that you can book to be on 3000 people at the Royal Albert Hall at Christmas, all of whom will be arriving by public transport(unless a very large car park has miraculously appeared) but you can’t have any sports fans in the open air. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I suspect they may be surprised  with the response they get. I feel that a significant number of season ticket holders of many clubs are not in favor of a return of spectators. Germany  one of the very few countries to have done a half decent job with the pandemic allow football fans in 20% capacity but only if the clubs area has a rate of 35 cases per 100000 or less, there will not be many clubs in England that fit that criteria,  even us now with Great Yarmouth 92/100000 yesterday. We are struggling to keep things open at the moment let alone opening up more. Obviously the younger you are the lower the risk and probably the keener to get back,  i would not like to guess what proportion of our fan base is 50 and over

I agree the risk is way too high for me, but for those who for whatever reason, whether sensible or blasé, feel they’re safe to go, crack on. It might help reduce the huge financial impact on lower league clubs. Signing now.

A big jump in hospital admissions today of 25% is not a good sign for increasing gatherings. Too many irresponsible people are ignoring the mask rules and I even saw some not wearing them on the train on Saturday travelling to Reading.   

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Always remember it's fine to get all your chums together to go hunting but god forbid you go enjoy football.

That's the tories for you folks.

Fox hunting is still banned I believe but the irony is that the current major increases in COVID are in the Labour seats up North if we need to get political. 

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

It is the blatant inconsistency and hypocrisy of the Government regulations / guidance that is infuriating many fans. I posted the Martin Samuel article on Saturday about the Royal Albert Hall. It is monstrous bias against football (and other outdoor sports). We are told time and time again that the chances of catching COVID outdoors provided any reasonable degree of protection / social distancing is observed is negligible. The real risk is prolonged, social interaction INDOORS. No-one is asking for a full 'return to normal' with  packed stadiums but introducing  a 25% capacity could be achieved with far less risk than doing your shopping in a supermarket or going to a restaurant. 

• Like 1

Over 112k now.

Tbh I’m not certain I myself would come, as it’s 3+ hours each way and a good part of my enjoyment is the atmosphere, but it is utterly ridiculous that no one has the choice.  I’ve been to a non league game (and will be going at the weekend) where there’s a lot less ‘organising’ around then there would be at a PL/Champs game.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Fox hunting is still banned I believe but the irony is that the current major increases in COVID are in the Labour seats up North if we need to get political. 

Utter rubbish and ridiculous to link the two. It’s hardly a major surprise that the ‘inner city’ type areas with higher population density are showing the higher rates. It’s nothing to do with the politics of the people per se and idiotic to suggest otherwise. 

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Utter rubbish and ridiculous to link the two. It’s hardly a major surprise that the ‘inner city’ type areas with higher population density are showing the higher rates. It’s nothing to do with the politics of the people per se and idiotic to suggest otherwise. 

... and where are the major football grounds which people would travel to ?   That's a rhetorical question btw.......

11 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

It is the blatant inconsistency and hypocrisy of the Government regulations / guidance that is infuriating many fans. I posted the Martin Samuel article on Saturday about the Royal Albert Hall. It is monstrous bias against football (and other outdoor sports). We are told time and time again that the chances of catching COVID outdoors provided any reasonable degree of protection / social distancing is observed is negligible. The real risk is prolonged, social interaction INDOORS. No-one is asking for a full 'return to normal' with  packed stadiums but introducing  a 25% capacity could be achieved with far less risk than doing your shopping in a supermarket or going to a restaurant. 

That's what has really annoyed me; as you say utter hypocrisy.  There is absolutely no justification for allowing 3000 people into the Albert Hall yet refusing to open up football grounds where social distancing is far easier and the simple fact it is outdoors make it far safer.  It's disgraceful, and as much as I'd love to go back to Carrow Road my overriding concern now is the complete collapse of the football pyramid.

3 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

That's what has really annoyed me; as you say utter hypocrisy.  There is absolutely no justification for allowing 3000 people into the Albert Hall yet refusing to open up football grounds where social distancing is far easier and the simple fact it is outdoors make it far safer.  It's disgraceful, and as much as I'd love to go back to Carrow Road my overriding concern now is the complete collapse of the football pyramid.

Agreed, but two wrongs do not make a right.   There may be a perception that clientele at RAH may stick to the rules more than those at football matches due to various demographic reasons. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Agreed, but two wrongs do not make a right.   There may be a perception that clientele at RAH may stick to the rules more than those at football matches due to various demographic reasons. 

I've no doubt that is the defining factor in this decision, as it has been with many of the others throughout this year.

But the Government can not preach common sense constantly and then allow events inside with far higher % attendance, whilst preventing football clubs bringing a few thousand in at say 25% capacity.

15 hours ago, Year of the tiger said:

Now over 50000. Ludicrous that you can book to be on 3000 people at the Royal Albert Hall at Christmas, all of whom will be arriving by public transport(unless a very large car park has miraculously appeared) but you can’t have any sports fans in the open air. 

Ah, so it has not yet happened, and in my view it will not as COVID again escalates, so this could really be a big fuss over nothing.  

Maybe there is an argument to allow only older supporters (over 50s perhaps) into grounds in current circumstances as they are after all in general the more responsible less risk-taking members of society and will be mindful of their own health.  Current levels of tested cases amongst the older and younger folk (where we have the much higher positive levels) bear this out and this could therefore be a logical angle from which to argue against current government policy.

Now over 142k signed up. Hopefully the Government will wake up to the totally contradictory nature of their 'regulations / guidance' and allow sensible opening up of all outdoor sporting events with proper precautions taken.   

18 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

I totally accept that there have been some inconsistencies but two wrongs do not make a right and nor  does frustration make it good to go back. Let us not forget what has happened before. The Atalanta v Madrid game early on was thought to have been a significant impact on rates in Northern Italy. The Liverpool game against Spanish opponents was also later criticized. I know we are not talking about other than token attendances but realistically that will only help clubs to a marginal level. Germany as stated by me earlier only allow 20% attendance and only in areas where the covid is 35/100000 or below. Most of the big towns and cities have rates way above that in England and Norfolk in the short term is also just about on that level and going up. So a agree that some events that take place should not be allowed but is it right now in October to resume, i think not do not forget it is not  what goes on in the stands but the  loos and bar at half time and the travel to and from the game, also look at how many sporting personalities are coming down with it at the moment. I would love to get back in brighter times but this petition is a total waste of time, the spring/summer with a bit of luck could be another matter

• Like 2

22 hours ago, paul moy said:

A big jump in hospital admissions today of 25% is not a good sign for increasing gatherings. Too many irresponsible people are ignoring the mask rules and I even saw some not wearing them on the train on Saturday travelling to Reading.   

I agree. If people could put their pride to the side for a few months, we’d be in a much better position to discuss reopening. If they had done so already, COVID would have been down graded to a nuisance, rather than still being prevalent.

In my opinion there has been too much cavalier mentality around how to socially contribute to ending this pandemic.

I would go as far as to say that another reason COVID is still hanging around is because of the ‘on demand’ mentality (neither rightly nor wrongly) that has been fostered within our current social structure. People simply want this to be over and are struggling to accept that COVID is simply not going to disappear.

Personally I’m concerned more with the long term impact (think years) that the doctors are finding this virus has on the body.

We need to stop thinking and acting like this is a ‘seasonal’ flu and begin acknowledging that this virus has the potential for the same long-term bodily damage as SARS and MERS.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is disputing that COVID is extremely serious, and that there are plenty of questions to be answered as to how people travel safely to games/toilet visits etc (much of which was successfully navigated at the 11 test events around the country).  The vast vast majority of people that I know have stuck to the 'guidance' and rules as far as is humanly possible, and it is the Government who are consistently preaching common sense when it comes to all of this.

The over arching problem with football being behind closed doors still is that, as has been pointed out by numerous people, the Government have a completely inconsistent approach to COVID.  It is patently obvious that they can not on one hand demand people to go to the cinema, or open up a indoor venue such as the Albert Hall, whilst on the other stop fans attending football in an outdoor environment (especially for some L1 teams, L2 and below).

I think that considering it is being widely reported that the Government may be bringing in further restrictions on Monday makes this Albert Hall thing look more and more unlikely. I can't help but feel this petition will be a moot point by Monday.  Regardless of people's personal feelings about the risks of Covid, it is very unlikely that things will open up more in the next couple of months, quite the opposite I would of thought.