A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

My mother in law was called Vera, if only I had know this was available 😂

Somebody said to me, "My mother in law is an angel".

I said he was lucky, mine is still alive😀

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I think SKS showed what he is good at today. Clear, forensic and unflustered. I think we'd all prefer him to give them a good verbal battering that they deserve but it's not his style and something we have to get used to for the forseeable future. Slow and steady yes, but he has set a few traps today that Johnson walked into easily.

To be honest I wasn’t that impressed, he seemed to be reading a lot and didn’t really deliver what was a pretty straight forward position like I would have expected from a QC. Agree this should have been his forte and the point was made.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-tories-electoral-commission-abolished-b1838992.html

Least surprising news of the day.

Could have guessed this morning when the EC news came through. But this is a surprise within 24 hours.

You get a challenge and you want to eradicate it....Think of the Supreme Court judges in the prorogation of parliament affair last year too. This government wanted to curtail their powers. BBC also on the list.

Fascism UK style?

And for all the Tory voters on here, you're really in clover! The polls show you have an extended lead before the elections next week. 

Edited by sonyc

His tactics have played well to date, focus on something to cover up so the other problems are lost in the wilderness. When we started to talk about how COVID was handled, we were manoeuvred to the vaccine roll out, when people started to question Brexit we were manoeuvred to how badly the EU were doing, now there are several lies on the table, most much worse than what’s being discussed, and where do we find ourselves ? Talking about some decorations, that has been pointed out nobody gives a monkeys about. 
Somehow we are not talking about ‘ pile the bodies up ‘ the alleged meetings with Man Utd to give the go ahead for the ESL, the blocking of enquiries, priti Patel bullying being looked at by the High Court and Dominic Cummings, all of which have been categorically denied. 

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

His tactics have played well to date, focus on something to cover up so the other problems are lost in the wilderness. When we started to talk about how COVID was handled, we were manoeuvred to the vaccine roll out, when people started to question Brexit we were manoeuvred to how badly the EU were doing, now there are several lies on the table, most much worse than what’s being discussed, and where do we find ourselves ? Talking about some decorations, that has been pointed out nobody gives a monkeys about. 
Somehow we are not talking about ‘ pile the bodies up ‘ the alleged meetings with Man Utd to give the go ahead for the ESL, the blocking of enquiries, priti Patel bullying being looked at by the High Court and Dominic Cummings, all of which have been categorically denied. 

Indeed. Playing a blinder it seems.

Thank goodness I don't feel alone at least in feeling standards in this country are falling fast. There are many folk on this messageboard who call out a lot of this dishonesty. I've often assumed this place is microcosm of wider society views but I'm beginning to wonder!

It makes your stance more honourable WBB as a former Brexit supporter and Conservative voter. I would similarly be calling out any party I had supported which acted like this one had though. It's not the colour of the party but the values.

We appear to be moving towards a version of Trumpian Britain. Say anything, do anything and elector tolerance / acceptance levels move that bit further. In the 60s even the 90s ministers would have walked.

As mentioned, there must be a 'play book'.

Edited by sonyc

Amidst all your premature excitementation over an issue so very minor, you Lefties fail where you've always failed, and that is in your understanding of those who voted for Boris and the conservatives -- You don't understand why we did, and you still don't understand why we will again.

You continue to fight the same losing battle, congratulating yourselves on moral victories which resonate only in the echoing public convenience which is Lefty Twitter, whilst seemingly not realising that it is our minds you need to change, not our contempt you need to deepen - and as long as no one offers a palatable alternative the Conservative Party will rule in comfort and unfortunately without accountability.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jools said:

Amidst all your premature excitementation over an issue so very minor, you Lefties fail where you've always failed, and that is in your understanding of those who voted for Boris and the conservatives -- You don't understand why we did, and you still don't understand why we will again.

You continue to fight the same losing battle, congratulating yourselves on moral victories which resonate only in the echoing public convenience which is Lefty Twitter, whilst seemingly not realising that it is our minds you need to change, not our contempt you need to deepen - and as long as no one offers a palatable alternative the Conservative Party will rule in comfort and unfortunately without accountability.

I'm not someone who is 'right wing' but don't know if that makes me a "Lefty". Yet I do know that I'm over 60 and ever since I've been able to vote I have yet to have my vote count at any general election. I know what failure is. I'm really clear that my politics are not in tune with the mass of people.  I don't hold anyone in contempt though as you appear to. I'm a happy kind of bloke.

I doubt very much I could convince you of anything, nor I believe would I try to. What would be the point of that?

I am very sad at the state of things, the lowering of the standard of public discourse, the lowering of trust between people.

At the end of the day I'm of the view that people do actually care for one another and if not about their personal politics then something else. 

If you're a Tory, as you are, and a big Boris supporter, you've never had it so good. I don't understand too why folk are such supporters and on that point you are 100% correct. You are in a big majority. Just enjoy it. No need to deepen your contempt for others.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jools said:

And you right wing (but never going to be allowed into their club) zombies always spout the same siht.

Its trivial, you're obsessed, you're jealous, you say. Because your lot have been caught red handed. By your own people.

And you and your cronies defend liars, crooks, fraudsters and bullies.

Until you realise, this lot despise you fools as much as they do us, then indeed they will prevail. Probably because you are too boring to try anything different. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Decent governance can win in the end. There will come a stage when people say enough is enough, we want adults running the country. The tories will hang around for a while like a bad fart but I still have a bit of hope that people can see through their greed and incompetence and hope for a better future for their kids will win out.

7 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

And you right wing (but never going to be allowed into their club) zombies always spout the same siht.

Its trivial, you're obsessed, you're jealous, you say. Because your lot have been caught red handed. By your own people.

And you and your cronies defend liars, crooks, fraudsters and bullies.

Until you realise, this lot despise you fools as much as they do us, then indeed they will prevail. Probably because you are too boring to try anything different. 

Spot on KG! You only have to read Cummings' rants at "moronic" brexiteers to see what contempt they have for the gullible masses that swallow the RWNJ hype. Meanwhile, Farage sits in his new home counting the cash that the fools (Jools) sent him for his "new" party, and his slice of the revenue from the financial company for which he advertises by claiming to front a campaign against (you guessed it) exploitation by financial companies. You couldn't make it up, suckers!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Herman said:

Decent governance can win in the end. There will come a stage when people say enough is enough, we want adults running the country. The tories will hang around for a while like a bad fart but I still have a bit of hope that people can see through their greed and incompetence and hope for a better future for their kids will win out.

Yep! Decency and investment that is leading to record levels of economic growth in the US:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/06/economy/imf-us-economy-recovery/index.html

The US economy is growing at its fastest pace since 1984

I see the newspapers are now describing Johnson's "alledged" corruption as "wallpaper-gate". Let's hope they discover he/Lord Brownlow also purchased over-priced garden furniture, then we can call it "garden-gate".

The Lord Brownlow email:

The email, sent by wealthy donor Lord Brownlow last year, on 14 October was marked ‘Donation’ and reads: ‘Hi Mike ... further to our conversation I am making a donation to the Party. It includes the £15,000 you and I have agreed – plus £58,000 to cover the payments the Party has already made on behalf of the soon to be formed “Downing Street Trust” – of which I have been made chairman, as you know.’

https://www.tatler.com/article/tory-donation-boris-johnson-carrie-symonds-no-11-downing-street-flat-leaked-emails

37 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I see the newspapers are now describing Johnson's "alledged" corruption as "wallpaper-gate". Let's hope they discover he/Lord Brownlow also purchased over-priced garden furniture, then we can call it "garden-gate".

Did they buy an overpriced garden gate from Eric Gates? 

17 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Johnson never thinks ahead.

Nor seemingly do some posters. Voters do not like realising they have been taken for fools. And the Tory party is quite ruthless when it decides its leader has lost their hold over the electorate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Nor seemingly do some posters. Voters do not like realising they have been taken for fools. And the Tory party is quite ruthless when it decides its leader has lost their hold over the electorate.

Yep! I'm sure Rishi is planning his coronation as we speak.

39 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Yep! I'm sure Rishi is planning his coronation as we speak.

Quite likely - and a make over of No. 10/11 flat to get rid of the gaudy tat.  

24 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Probably something nice from John Lewis.
As a democracy the main change we get now seems to be decor rather than government!!

47 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

And @Van wink.....a shade of "never knowingly undersold" Rishi I suspect.

Edited by sonyc

30 minutes ago, Van wink said:

As a democracy the main change we get now seems to be decor rather than government!!

Well, they got Al Capone through tax evasion in the end. Just saying. 

41 minutes ago, Van wink said:

And a nice Dyson vacuum cleaner.

Cordless preferably.

All in all, things are totting up aren't they for this government and its leadership? When will be the breaking point? @Herman makes a positive post that people eventually will have had enough. But when?

A few things seem at the forefront for me that are very serious and / or have not been reckoned with adequately:

* Cummings Barnard Castle affair

* Patel bullying 

* Covid Contracts (Hancock etc)

* Fishing and farming  being decimated

* SMEs folding as a result of Brexit

* Accuri affair and the cash for IT lessons

* Re-ignition of troubles in Ireland

* Lack of transparency for Johnson's personal spending (Caribbean holiday, new sofa and wallpaper etc)

* Alienation of our relationships with closest neighbouring countries

* Demonisation of the supreme court, BBC, "lefties" (a favourite attack on this forum this latter one. You can't dare to criticise or you're seen as either depressed, a lunatic Marxist or a hater etc etc)

More widely....

* Proliferation and ease of setting up shell companies / tax avoidance ($30 trillion offshore)

* Hedge companies betting against business success (disaster capitalism) 

* Contracts given to huge private sector companies rather than regionally or via local administrations to administer public health (dressed up as expediency but then we know the vaccination programme has worked precisely because of localised management and fast moving local responses)

* A decade of cuts that have had lasting effects on communities and will take another 10 years to turn round. Backed by a dumbed down media

* Loss of freedom of movement - especially adverse for younger people (Erasmus scheme deleted too)

* Widening inequality in society that is meant to be tackled by a two word strategy response called "levelling up"

" Low paid jobs the norm on insecure contracts and rough sleeping worsening (up 170%) in a decade

Maybe there is more? I don't know. This is a snapshot of some of the stories I've read over the past 12 months that I can remember have stuck with me. The pandemic of course is centre stage but look at what's around too. And the electorate seemed to have factored all of this in (and more) and the current admin is well ahead in the polls. Populist narratives have hit home I suppose and at the minute there just isn't an answer to it. Hence oppositions cannot take an easy line. They are split. Soon, we face greater demands for the break up of the union too I'm sure of that.

Mrs S has just asked over my morning coffee watching me type on my mobile...."And what is going through that little mind of yours this morning to be posting on the Pinkun?" I have not dared to tell her!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

As if they buy cleaning equipment. 😀

Think Carrie would have definitely wanted that sofa changing though! #justsaying🤭

• Haha 2

Sonyc, it would be interesting to see Boris' approval ratings and those of his ministers.  I haven't looked so I dont know but my guess is that they are much lower than the party election polling. If so, this would suggest that people are by no means enamoured of Boris but feel that Labour is not for them.

Jools often gets the treatment he deserves in here but between his post and the one from ricardo (if you read it you'll already know which one, and that says a lot) I think you have all you need to know about what labour must do in the coming days

Edited by Barbe bleu

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Cordless preferably.

We’ve got a cordless, never been able to get the sleaze attachment to work.😁

Edited by Van wink

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Cordless preferably.

Probably won't turn up, like those ventilators

12 hours ago, Jools said:

Well said Jools. It's not speculation from the lefties, more ejaculation. Led by that idiot Horseshyte. 

• Haha 1