3 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Out of the current City squad I can only see Buendia, Aarons and Krul getting near a Leeds starting XI. I know Pukki has a better goals per game ratio than Bamford but he's several years older and I'm not sure he'd fit in with how Leeds play.   

So why should we be concerned or judge our players by whether they'd fit into Leeds style of play? Surely that topic would be for your own forum. 

More to the point how many would get into our team because they fit our style of play? But I'm not interested enough in Leeds to know the answer. Probably not many though.

32 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So why should we be concerned or judge our players by whether they'd fit into Leeds style of play? Surely that topic would be for your own forum. 

More to the point how many would get into our team because they fit our style of play? But I'm not interested enough in Leeds to know the answer. Probably not many though.

I'd add Gibson and Giannoulis to that as well (and Skipp but he's off back)

I stole this from the Athletic, but it highlights Leeds' high energy, hard running style, and it's debatable how sustainable it is in the long term

image.thumb.png.abb77f7d61adf01e5c61bb07466ee9c6.png

1 hour ago, Icecream Snow said:

I stole this from the Athletic, but it highlights Leeds' high energy, hard running style, and it's debatable how sustainable it is in the long term

image.thumb.png.abb77f7d61adf01e5c61bb07466ee9c6.png

I recall some people saying that this was the reason that Leeds usually fall away towards the end of the season, and that the break because of Covid helped them to avoid the same fate last season. Doesn’t seem to have affected them this season as they’ve won 6 of their last 10 and only lost once.

Don’t see why it wouldn’t be sustainable long term as long as they keep on refreshing their squad.

7 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I recall some people saying that this was the reason that Leeds usually fall away towards the end of the season, and that the break because of Covid helped them to avoid the same fate last season. Doesn’t seem to have affected them this season as they’ve won 6 of their last 10 and only lost once.

Don’t see why it wouldn’t be sustainable long term as long as they keep on refreshing their squad.

It's only 38 games though in the Premiership. But if their activity is sustainable, why are they such an outlier compared to the rest of the premiership?

The "Bielsa Burnout" arguably doesn't apply anyone, but these were the origins

https://trainingground.guru/articles/ander-herrera-the-beautiful-brutal-world-of-marcelo-bielsa

Ander Herrera: "It is quite a romantic view about football, but I can’t lie to you, in the last months we couldn’t even move. We had five games to play in the league and were in two cup finals and I think we lost all of them (they lost three of their last four games in La Liga and both cup finals 3-0).

Our legs said 'stop'. We used to play always with the same players and were not at our best in the finals. We were a completely different team than we had been before because, to be honest, we were physically f**ked.

We couldn’t run any more. We played I think 65 games that season - 38 in the league and a cup final in Spain and the Europa League final.

And if you see the stats, Marcelo Bielsa used to play with the same players, 14 maximum (15 players made more than 20 league appearances), so you can imagine how we finished the season.

Leeds are in first place in the last 10 games form table which suggests that it is the other teams that maybe slowing down as well as the cup games some of the teams have had to play. Leeds are finishing the league the strongest. I fully expect them to finish the league in dominating style against WBA sunday. Unfortunately it seems a lot players are put off going to Leeds because of the rigorous training he puts them through. 

I have never witnessed Bielsa burnout in 3 years of him being a Leeds manager however we did lose form especially under his first season and then before covid hit which is a different thing. The domination possession has always been there. Covid helped them regain form, they were not burning out. 

Edited by Rob Whites

On 30/08/2020 at 06:06, Lowfields1919 said:

I'm very confident we will be ok.

It will be good to "pop back" to this thread again during the coming season.

Because like the enlightened guy says - "Leeds are going down without doubt".

Lets see eh.

I can see you being the next Wolves....have a good season then slip into mid-bottom table obscurity.

At least we are realistic in terms of our ability to sustain our club without risking everything. If putting the club at risk means blowing a stupid amount of players in the 'hope' it works out....then I'm happy with us being a yo-yo club.

Edited by BigManInTheBarclay

28 minutes ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

I can see you being the next Wolves....have a good season then slip into mid-bottom table obscurity.

At least we are realistic in terms of our ability to sustain our club without risking everything. If putting the club at risk means blowing a stupid amount of players in the 'hope' it works out....then I'm happy with us being a yo-yo club.

I'd take being a Wolves or a Palace. Leeds are not ready for any european football by any means, they don't really have the squad depth to rotate for all those games anyway. 

I don't think Norwich need to risk everything, you have a decent team and a good youth set up and if Farke is as good as people are making out then you wouldn't need to spend the earth next season.  On paper you have a better squad than what Leeds did in the championship and we only filled the voids with extra quality so with maybe 3-4 very astute signings then why can't Farke get you mid table next season or minimum 17th.

Basically why do you need to keep settling for being a yo-yo club when you dropped back down to rebuild and be in a better position?!! Surely the majority of the fans need this cycle to break and like I said it doesn't mean totally breaking the bank to do it. 

Thanks for your undoubted wisdom Rob. But I doubt you've picked up anything from your one season out of the last ten  in the prem that we couldn't work out from our five. 

32 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Thanks for your undoubted wisdom Rob. But I doubt you've picked up anything from your one season out of the last ten  in the prem that we couldn't work out from our five. 

Like I say you have basically the squad pending maybe 2-3 decent players so its over to Farke and the board to do the rest. Let's see if they have the ambition this time. 

9 minutes ago, Rob Whites said:

Like I say you have basically the squad pending maybe 2-3 decent players so its over to Farke and the board to do the rest. Let's see if they have the ambition this time. 

So how do you measure our ambition Rob?

He's a rum un' that's for sure Frank. Last time he spent any time on here he was trying to convince us that goals shouldn't count the same if they came in the last ten minutes...

2 hours ago, Rob Whites said:

Surely the majority of the fans need this cycle to break and like I said it doesn't mean totally breaking the bank to do it. 

Appreciate I'm not the majority but I have no problem yo-yoing up and down.

I'm a football purest and love nothing better than watching local football because it's real football.

The Premier League isn't real football, football died a long time ago as it's now all about money and since VAR has come in to play it's now officially 6 feet under with a block of flats having been built on top.

Do clubs need to get to the PL to survive without wealthy owners,. absolutely, am I pleased we yo-yo so we can survive and compete in the championship,. absolutely I am.

The reality is that Leeds wouldn't be in the PL had it not been down to the wealth of your owners so preaching to us about what we should of shouldn't do is a little rich coming from a Leeds fan.

After 16 seasons yoyoing between the second and third division Leeds one season in the PL proves nothing. We had all this last season from the blades...

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

So how do you measure our ambition Rob?

Baffles me why you are constantly defending the club. Well as long as your happy being up and down 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Rob Whites said:

Baffles me why you are constantly defending the club. Well as long as your happy being up and down 🤷‍♂️

Defending?

Defending against what?

7 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Appreciate I'm not the majority but I have no problem yo-yoing up and down.

I'm a football purest and love nothing better than watching local football because it's real football.

The Premier League isn't real football, football died a long time ago as it's now all about money and since VAR has come in to play it's now officially 6 feet under with a block of flats having been built on top.

Do clubs need to get to the PL to survive without wealthy owners,. absolutely, am I pleased we yo-yo so we can survive and compete in the championship,. absolutely I am.

The reality is that Leeds wouldn't be in the PL had it not been down to the wealth of your owners so preaching to us about what we should of shouldn't do is a little rich coming from a Leeds fan.

I think you're partly correct, Leeds have had wealthy owners before they just haven't got things right, the current one has.

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He loves it! 

Record breaking season and your attacks on our club will continue. Because you love it...

8 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

I think you're partly correct, Leeds have had wealthy owners before they just haven't got things right, the current one has.

One season must be an awful long time in football....

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Record breaking season and your attacks on our club will continue. Because you love it...

I said we’d win the league or at worse finish 2nd before a ball was kicked, what did you forecast? 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I said we’d win the league or at worse finish 2nd before a ball was kicked, what did you forecast? 

I forecast we'll win every week. Have done for 55 years. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It baffles me why so many don't defend the running of the club, in all honesty.

Especially as Webber scripted it all in advance.

Edited by nutty nigel

3 hours ago, Rob Whites said:

I'd take being a Wolves or a Palace. Leeds are not ready for any european football by any means, they don't really have the squad depth to rotate for all those games anyway. 

I don't think Norwich need to risk everything, you have a decent team and a good youth set up and if Farke is as good as people are making out then you wouldn't need to spend the earth next season.  On paper you have a better squad than what Leeds did in the championship and we only filled the voids with extra quality so with maybe 3-4 very astute signings then why can't Farke get you mid table next season or minimum 17th.

Basically why do you need to keep settling for being a yo-yo club when you dropped back down to rebuild and be in a better position?!! Surely the majority of the fans need this cycle to break and like I said it doesn't mean totally breaking the bank to do it. 

The promotions are fantastic but the relegations are a tad embarrassing to be fair. 

12 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I forecast we'll win every week. Have done for 55 years. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't.

Amazing that you are not a millionaire by now.😄

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

One season must be an awful long time in football....

It's been four seasons since the transformation began Nigel and the last three have been hugely successful given the **** that went before. I'd say that getting Bielsa in has been as influential to the success at Leeds as appointing Webber and Farke at City.

31 minutes ago, Rob Whites said:

Someones got to do it mate, better up and down than down and down.