Herman

Nature watch.

Red kites, Badgers, Owls, Hedgehogs, and numerus other animals I love getting close to them volunteering for Oak & Furrows Wildlife Rescue   

• Like 1

On 17/07/2020 at 19:20, Herman said:

Insect lovers will like this creature, the Giant Wood Wasp.One was flying around me today. It freaked me out when I first saw one a few years ago but after some research found out they were harmless.

Giant Wood Wasp by Arkins | ePHOTOzine

Round here they are sometimes known as stick hornets because of the sting like tube. As we know they are not. When I was working in la la land the usa, my co workers called every thing that buzzed around them hornets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Red kites, Badgers, Owls, Hedgehogs, and numerus other animals I love getting close to them volunteering for Oak & Furrows Wildlife Rescue   

Good on you Swindon.👍

• Thanks 1

My enjoyment of nature is being tested with the return of starlings in my roof. Noisy little scumbags. 

Mrs Shrimp does not like them either..she says they are greedy thugs. The plummage of the Starling in good light is stunning. The iridescent colours are wonderful.

1 hour ago, SHRIMPER said:

Mrs Shrimp does not like them either..she says they are greedy thugs. The plummage of the Starling in good light is stunning. The iridescent colours are wonderful.

They were great at clearing the plague of caterpillars off the hedge, but when they are tap dancing on the rafters at 4 in the morning they become a bit of a nuisance. 

5 hours ago, Herman said:

They were great at clearing the plague of caterpillars off the hedge, but when they are tap dancing on the rafters at 4 in the morning they become a bit of a nuisance. 

Just tell yourself that it is Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers on the roof tap dancing.🙂

• Haha 1

Lots of bats flying round Mulbarton last night. That was pretty cool to watch. They're a bit quick to take pictures tho!

• Like 1

This is on road 635 in the Westfjörds

The little black thing in the middle is an Arctic Fox. There is a culvert under the road he goes and hides in. I managed to get this picture when he came out, then he ran back in his culvert, so I left him in peace

I didn´t know they could get this black?

IMG_0157.thumb.JPG.c06ff0c4df043215acfd132e5969f74f.JPG

On 23/08/2020 at 16:41, The Raptor said:

Lots of bats flying round Mulbarton last night. That was pretty cool to watch. They're a bit quick to take pictures tho!

I'm releasing bats for Oak & Forrows my main problem with that is I've got to release them where they were found. I can travel for miles going to some of the places. 

Did not see this weaver bird myself but did see quite a few in Costa Rica. If to get a chance to go, do not miss it.

2 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

Did not see this weaver bird myself but did see quite a few in Costa Rica. If to get a chance to go, do not miss it.

My one and only effort at a Quetzal

image.thumb.png.a698cc6a82e654cfa683299ce9a2ff6d.png

These bats actualy make a shelter for themselves when it rain. This was Costa Rica again, and when it rain it rains. The two crocs came right up to my canoe which was a bit unsettling. Round the next bend in the river three guys were in the water fishing...crazy.

HDIyJWr.jpg

7FWEdWK.jpg

pC8fwiS.jpg

On 29/08/2020 at 13:55, SHRIMPER said:

These bats actualy make a shelter for themselves when it rain. This was Costa Rica again, and when it rain it rains. The two crocs came right up to my canoe which was a bit unsettling. Round the next bend in the river three guys were in the water fishing...crazy.

HDIyJWr.jpg

7FWEdWK.jpg

pC8fwiS.jpg

Those crocs look....hungry 😬

9 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Those crocs look....hungry 😬

We were in a double canoe and the guide we had patted one of them on the head. It was these guys that in my way of thinking were crazy. The guide said that every year one or two of them a taken.

yrEZ0Xz.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Are they migrating for the winter? They aren't a bird normally in Norfolk are they?

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Are they migrating for the winter? They aren't a bird normally in Norfolk are they?

Nope, it appears this one has been up in the Peak District. Alpine birds normally I believe.

I recken it came on holiday to Norfolk and was looking for Beacon Hill our highest point. You can see for yards from there.

2 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

I recken it came on holiday to Norfolk and was looking for Beacon Hill our highest point. You can see for yards from there.

Are the World Absailing Championships still held there?