Herman

Nature watch.

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Are the World Absailing Championships still held there?

Yes.. and the underwater hang gliding school still operate from there also.

Yes K I have seen him out and about there a few times. Pity the new Spitting Image will only be seen on Britbox.

Great thread 👍

Not sure how I missed this one. I’ve had a good year spotting birds. Hobby, peregrine,  red kite, buzzards (of course), avocet godwit. There has been an osprey over on my manor at Burgh Castle, although it may finally have left now. Heading to Carlton Marshes hopefully catch the cranes or the great white egret. Lots of migrants starting to arrive too...

• Like 1

This Eagle Owl escaped from a friend of mine some time ago. It is huge and goes by the name of Delilah. Bubo Bubo is its latin name and weighs just under 3 kilos. I have had it on my arm and when it flapped its wings and tried to get away it nearly knocked me ed orf. Wing span about 6ft. Do not know if it is still flying wild but the owner has not got it back since it escaped for the second time. It used to fly a lot over Middleton golf club hunting.

r4OKGVT.jpg

2 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

This Eagle Owl escaped from a friend of mine some time ago. It is huge and goes by the name of Delilah. Bubo Bubo is its latin name and weighs just under 3 kilos. I have had it on my arm and when it flapped its wings and tried to get away it nearly knocked me ed orf. Wing span about 6ft. Do not know if it is still flying wild but the owner has not got it back since it escaped for the second time. It used to fly a lot over Middleton golf club hunting.

r4OKGVT.jpg

Absolutely stunning birds. Hard to believe looking at them that they are birds of prey.

• Like 1

I was up your way Shrimper the other week, spent a few hours on Snettisham beach and got the pleasure of seeing the birds flying around in enormous groups. Not sure what type they were but they sure put on a display.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I was up your way Shrimper the other week, spent a few hours on Snettisham beach and got the pleasure of seeing the birds flying around in enormous groups. Not sure what type they were but they sure put on a display.

Most of those huge flocks are a small waders called Knotts. They certainly put on a show. They wheel about like a Murmeration of Starlings coming in to roost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-49237885

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

I was up your way Shrimper the other week

👬  💞

Mail on Sunday has a glorious sneak preview of unseen Kenneth Williams  diaries | Daily Mail Online

🙃

Edited by Jools

3 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

Most of those huge flocks are a small waders called Knotts. They certainly put on a show. They wheel about like a Murmeration of Starlings coming in to roost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-49237885

That's the one mate. It was early evening and you could see them in the distance, huge swathes, moving like those sardine shoals you see on TV. With the sun setting it was quite a spectacle.👍

Being on the East coast and watching the sunset over the sea is a great sight to see.. with the birds thrown in as a bonus. It is even better when you are out there on a boat and they are swooping all around you. I have some pictures I took years ago somewhere. I will see if I can find them and post.

Great white egret showing well at Carlton Marshes this morning, that’s another one ticked off my list.

Also Chinese water deer, hobby, kestrel, marsh harrier among the usual suspects.

A solitary little egret was on the mussel beds at Hunstanton today. Also saw the Knotts swarming off Snettisham. A great sight once again.

Edited by SHRIMPER
  • Like 1

A little project pretty much finished, just a few more plants needed. Mrs Frank hates frogs , if I need some time to myself I know where to go !

CFA8180B-982B-441C-A949-FBD12B4A636F.jpeg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Nice work FF. Build it and they will come.

I may have to wait until the spring but it will be interesting to see different beasties arrive, hopefully 

• Like 3

They are releasing more Beavers around this area and they could make their way to your pond and use it as a holiday home. 😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SHRIMPER said:

They are releasing more Beavers around this area and they could make their way to your pond and use it as a holiday home. 😀

So many comments about visiting beaver ! 😁😉😂

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

So many comments about visiting beaver ! 😁😉😂

And I have visited many... all over the world.😉

• Haha 1

Huge flocks of geese (Greylags, I think) arriving in Central Scotland on the North wind...I hope they weren't expecting the pubs to be open. 😂

Apples

• Haha 1

Im actually starting to worry about that vulture. Its was seen wandering down a busy road in Peterborough over the weekend! Poor thing is totally lost. 

How quick a life can go downhill. One day you're happily sticking your head in a rotten carcas the next you're spending a few hours in Peterborough. Poor thing.