Herman

Nature watch.

Our resident otter seems parading round our paddock now. Once shy, seems to like the spotlight. Will get a photo uploaded next time.

• Like 2

Not long back from the Aveyron in France . Had these gorgeous Swallowtail butterflies in the meadow below house . A few years since I’ve seen them in Norfolk . 

IMG_1156.png

• Like 4

Northish wind at the weekend and the first Geese and Fieldfares of the winter arrived and all the Swallows and Housemartins have scarpered.

Apples

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Apples said:

Northish wind at the weekend and the first Geese and Fieldfares of the winter arrived and all the Swallows and Housemartins have scarpered.

Apples

Still a few Swallows about here in North Norfolk this morning. Good weather for Kites and Buzzards also. 

It's a lovely September day.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Still a few Swallows about here in North Norfolk this morning. Good weather for Kites and Buzzards also. 

It's a lovely September day.

Our garden has been full of Starlings ever since we moved in the house over forty years ago. Now they have disappeared. I have tried to tempt them with every morsel of food I can think of but no shows. The finches have gone for the winter and I am left with a robin and a few pigeons. And of course tip chickens.

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Our garden has been full of Starlings ever since we moved in the house over forty years ago. Now they have disappeared. I have tried to tempt them with every morsel of food I can think of but no shows. The finches have gone for the winter and I am left with a robin and a few pigeons. And of course tip chickens.

Norwich was full of House Sparrows and Starlings when I was a boy but there are very few now. Plenty of Wood Pigeons and Magpies though. Our resident Sparrow hawk has to deal with larger prey now.

19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Norwich was full of House Sparrows and Starlings when I was a boy but there are very few now. Plenty of Wood Pigeons and Magpies though. Our resident Sparrow hawk has to deal with larger prey now.

Even our Jackdaws only appear periodically.

But we do have a regular hedgehog again and it is huge. Drives both our dogs nuts leaving a trail because MrsKG puts dog food out for him.

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

My garden is absolutely heaving with Sparrows. And Starlings as well which are extremely aggressive. But like Frank, I can't remember the last time I saw a Thrush and House Martin numbers have dropped about 80% in 10 years. 

I had my first ever visit from a Sparrowhawk last week. It narrowly missed a Collared Dove. 

16 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I can't remember the last time I saw a thrush, how close are we to losing them ?

They're very noticeable by their absence sadly.

The variety of birds in my garden changes periodically.

Lots of blackbirds earlier in the year including some fledgelings. Currently goldfinches, blue **** and great ****. I'm sure there were a couple of coal **** recently.

Look forward to the noisy arrival of long tailed ****, that can't be far away. They definitely do a circuit of bird feeders in my locality.

Oh, got Tawny owls in the woods opposite, I can hear them at night, and also the local buzzards seem to be thriving still.

T.its. really?

Does wanking still get through?

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

A Hummingbird Hawk Moth in the garden this morning. The beat of its wings are so fast they hardly even constitute a blur. Beautiful creature 

hummingbirdhawkmoth.jpg

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

Shot taken in north-eastern Germany by Miss TGS on a placement there. Evening shot on a walk around the Wockersee, a small lake in Parchim.

No description available.

• Like 3

Pink Un twitchers, what did I see in deepest, darkest Hertfordshire? 

A large heron type bird, with a much longer neck, pale in colour and much quicker in flight. Probably something obvious but not local. 

8 hours ago, Herman said:

A large heron type bird, with a much longer neck, pale in colour and much quicker in flight. Probably something obvious but not local. 

My first thoughts would be egret, but they are very, very white all over...

Bitterns are brown, but they can have paler variations but are chunkier and not particularly quick.

Spoonbill could be another possibility...

Crane, but they're much bigger...

Stork...they've reintroduced them somewhere, but I think it's further south 

Have a look at Google images, they all look very different in flight 😜

• Thanks 1

I had a look at a video, in flight, and it looks to be an egret, probably a Great White. It's the closest to a heron without being a heron. Cheers.👍

• Like 1

On 26/09/2023 at 12:09, Wings of a Sparrow said:

T.its. really?

Does wanking still get through?

That reminds me, last Sunday I saw a skein of about 50 shags flying in formation low over the sea at Yarmouth.  I believe this flight pattern distinguishes them from cormorants who usually fly higher.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Herman said:

My first thoughts would be egret, but they are very, very white all over...

Bitterns are brown, but they can have paler variations but are chunkier and not particularly quick.

Spoonbill could be another possibility...

Crane, but they're much bigger...

Stork...they've reintroduced them somewhere, but I think it's further south 

Have a look at Google images, they all look very different in flight

*how do you delete a duplicate post?

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

Did a circular walk from Bure Park in Yarmouth, up the beach to Caister and returning back over the Marshes at West Caister.

Not much in the way of birds, although there was a good spattering of red throated divers fishing in the sea, and a solitary common tern dived in the sea right in front of us.

We could see the expanse of Scroby Sands which looked huge, and we could see 2 or 3 groups of hundreds of seals on there.

• Like 3