Herman

Nature watch.

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Those photos are fantastic @Pockthorpe, they really stand out. My groups tend to be the various Waxcaps in a moorland field (which has been fallow possibly for centuries) and a wood on the doorstep. The latter is more varied with lots of Birch, Oak, Beech and Larch - almost gothic it is to walk through.

A couple more types spotted today - a Common Ink Cap family and some Elastic Oysterlings, which I think are less common. Pure white they were but the photo is not as sharp as I would have liked.

IMG_20231120_142849.jpg

IMG_20231120_142830.jpg

More great photos Sonyc . Mine were from Ashwellthorpe Woods . An ancient woodland mentioned in the Domesday book apparently - I’d never heard of it until I went online after I saw your photos to see a good place to go . Hornbeam , Oak , Ash , Elm etc and lots of hazel that was once coppiced . 

• Like 1

Odd behaviour noticed with our resident magpies at work. They are punching holes in our large polytunnels. Our theories currently are that they are using it to clean their beaks or catching insects floating around on the other side of the plastic, similar to a kingfisher on water. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I forgot I had my own photo.

Mushroom ladder (don't know what sort) Broadland Country Park last week.

IMG_20231116_114018720_HDR.jpg

That's a cracking display WOAS! Ideal for lazier squirrels no doubt.

I think they are all Artist's Conk (or Artist's Bracket) but I'm a novice at this. The source is as follows:

IMG_20231123_175208.jpg

IMG_20231123_175310.jpg

• Like 1

Speaking of nature. I might have lobbed these shots in before but no harm winging them in again. Some puffins on the island of Mykines in the Faroes in early June, and then a shot looking north-west from its most northerly settlement, namely Viðareiði.

20230603_133035.jpg

20230605_124539.jpg

• Like 5

Thought I had seen all the mushrooms I was going to this autumn but the dog's ball bounced where it shouldn't have and took me off the path.

The Candlesnuff Fungus and some some White Fibrecap (toxic).

The Candlesnuff look like little stag's horns. 

IMG_20231128_142348.jpg

IMG_20231128_150011.jpg

• Like 2

The sheep escaped their field and got into the entrance of the wood this afternoon. An odd sight really but they must have found some better grass.

Thankfully the dog (a sheepdog) was only interested in the tennis ball as she was off lead.

IMG_20231211_143106.jpg

IMG_20231211_143240.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Another eruption

Quite a biggie this time 

I'm supposed to be working in (well,  just to the north west of) Grindavík this morning, around 2km from the southern end. I'm not sure if the authorities will let me in.

My God. Keep us updated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Another eruption

Quite a biggie this time 

I'm supposed to be working in (well,  just to the north west of) Grindavík this morning, around 2km from the southern end. I'm not sure if the authorities will let me in.

Currently being reported on BBC Radio 5 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My God. Keep us updated. 

Some good photos just been posted on RUV

I drove down the main road, Reykjanesbraut, this morning. It was a stunning sight. Unsurprisingly, the job at Grindavík is closed today, so I'm at Keflavík instead 

The volcano has died down a bit over the last few hours, initial thoughts are it might only last a few days. Hopefully, it will leave the town and infrastructure in peace 

• Thanks 1

Lucky enough to catch these rainbow clouds on a walk just before sunset yesterday. Apparently they’re called Nacreous clouds.

I was spellbound I have to say.

IMG_0599.jpeg

IMG_0589.jpeg

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A rather pleasant day at Kew Gardens yesterday for an exhibition and a wander. Some great Victorian architecture and a glorious Mexican Swamp Cypress. I didn't get a photo of the massive Sequoia though.

p?i=a1699afe76a077265410ad3a2faa68bc

p?i=10d5f4f32d28a64c5e5b53bc26ce04bc

Edited by Herman
  • Like 2

I'm not sure what is going on but we have a mass gathering of Red Kites above work this morning. At least 10, maybe more. 

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

I'm not sure what is going on but we have a mass gathering of Red Kites above work this morning. At least 10, maybe more. 

Wow! That must be a heck of a sight.

Probably venturing out after a couple of days hunkering down out of the way of the bad weather.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Probably venturing out after a couple of days hunkering down out of the way of the bad weather.

There's been a gathering before but that was when the farmer was ploughing his fields. All rather quiet today though. Must be weather related. 👍

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I think you may be right there. This morning there's been two lots of Sparrowhawks over the moors (a pair and a threesome) next to two small woods where they live. There's a bit of a easterly which they're using to soar against. Clearly, winter means greater hunger and the mice need to be careful! They don't half screech when in the trees. Seem noisier than Jays!

We've also a Barn Owl that you see every now and then. Sits on the stone walls and dives into the grassy ground. I think it's my favourite bird to see (is there such a thing really?)  because for me anyway, a rare sight. Much like a Kingfisher. 

The nuts and blocks of suet are now strung out in the back garden. At last winter has properly arrived and such easy and convenient food sources are very popular.

Anyway, that's my nature summary for January 😌

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, sonyc said:

I think you may be right there. This morning there's been two lots of Sparrowhawks over the moors (a pair and a threesome) next to two small woods where they live. There's a bit of a easterly which they're using to soar against. Clearly, winter means greater hunger and the mice need to be careful! They don't half screech when in the trees. Seem noisier than Jays!

We've also a Barn Owl that you see every now and then. Sits on the stone walls and dives into the grassy ground. I think it's my favourite bird to see (is there such a thing really?)  because for me anyway, a rare sight. Much like a Kingfisher. 

The nuts and blocks of suet are now strung out in the back garden. At last winter has properly arrived and such easy and convenient food sources are very popular.

Anyway, that's my nature summary for January 😌

Had this visitor in my back garden yesterday1351934529_20240109_1252111.thumb.jpg.18a4855260ea45600044dc3ccd48dd33.jpg

- I think its a sparrowhawk

• Like 3

It´s happened again!20240114_093221.thumb.jpg.5f3d33a9f1a6ab35c3371197586760bf.jpg

One small fissure has opened up inside the defences that were built, and has claimed it´s first house. The lava outside the defences has largely been kept at bay so far. We will have to wait and see how much damage is caused.

Everyone that was still in the town were evacuated early this morning

Last Wednesday, one poor soul, who was working on filling in one of the cracks that formed late last year, disappeared. It is thought that somehow the crack opened up and he fell 20 metres plus into the ground. They looked for 2 days but there was no sign of him. It was a really difficult search as the crack was very narrow at the top, and also rocks would fall in

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

It´s happened again!20240114_093221.thumb.jpg.5f3d33a9f1a6ab35c3371197586760bf.jpg

One small fissure has opened up inside the defences that were built, and has claimed it´s first house. The lava outside the defences has largely been kept at bay so far. We will have to wait and see how much damage is caused.

Everyone that was still in the town were evacuated early this morning

Last Wednesday, one poor soul, who was working on filling in one of the cracks that formed late last year, disappeared. It is thought that somehow the crack opened up and he fell 20 metres plus into the ground. They looked for 2 days but there was no sign of him. It was a really difficult search as the crack was very narrow at the top, and also rocks would fall in

Being discussed on R5 now. Are you OK?