Herman

Nature watch.

The latest data on the rise in global sea temperatures is yet another warning that should wake us all up, doubt it will though!  For an old boy like me, well 66 so really just middle aged 😀, the impact isn't going to be intolerable, but for you younger posters with kids its going to hit hard, its going to......is......already ruining temperature sensitive eco systems...habitats....and the lives of those on low level islands in the Pacific. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nik Vawn said:

The latest data on the rise in global sea temperatures is yet another warning that should wake us all up, doubt it will though!  For an old boy like me, well 66 so really just middle aged 😀, the impact isn't going to be intolerable, but for you younger posters with kids its going to hit hard, its going to......is......already ruining temperature sensitive eco systems...habitats....and the lives of those on low level islands in the Pacific. 

And it seems that no-one is bothered 😕

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

And it seems that no-one is bothered 😕

It's extraordinary isn't it. Barely a mention on national news. We seem to be sleep walking into disaster. Every day this year has seen a record for ocean temperatures and several of those days it's been a third of a degree higher than ever before. The one expert I did hear on the BBC said the world is no longer warming, it's starting to burn. 

I'm a year younger than @Nik Vawnso perhaps I shouldn't be too worried but it's the only thing that makes me relieved to be old. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's extraordinary isn't it. Barely a mention on national news. We seem to be sleep walking into disaster. Every day this year has seen a record for ocean temperatures and several of those days it's been a third of a degree higher than ever before. The one expert I did hear on the BBC said the world is no longer warming, it's starting to burn. 

I'm a year younger than @Nik Vawnso perhaps I shouldn't be too worried but it's the only thing that makes me relieved to be old. 

There are so many variables in the predictive models they use giving sceptics the opportunity to discredit the work, but equally of course it could well be that the models are missing some sort of catalystic effect that may make things warm faster than predicted.

• Like 3

On 27/03/2024 at 18:25, FenwayFrank said:

What happened to lapwings? Used to see loads of them but I can't remember the last time I saw one

Still a solitary lapwing flapping about this afternoon. No sign of any others though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Herman said:

Still a solitary lapwing flapping about this afternoon. No sign of any others though.

The last time I saw any number was on moorland driving across the A66 from Penrith last year (must have been over a hundred).

Finally heard a Cuckoo this week and the Swallows are back in the Garage. 😎

Apples

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Apples said:

The last time I saw any number was on moorland driving across the A66 from Penrith last year (must have been over a hundred).

Finally heard a Cuckoo this week and the Swallows are back in the Garage. 😎

Apples

I haven't heard a single cuckoo so far. Getting limited to what I see and hear at the moment. 😕

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not heard cuckoos here yet (Yarmouth).

Used to be huge flocks of lapwings either side of of Acle Straight when we went out down that way, this would be early/mid 1970's.

I see a few out on my walks, seems like they definitely prefer fields near a watercourse with not too much disturbance.

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Not heard cuckoos here yet (Yarmouth).

Used to be huge flocks of lapwings either side of of Acle Straight when we went out down that way, this would be early/mid 1970's.

I see a few out on my walks, seems like they definitely prefer fields near a watercourse with not too much disturbance.

Yep! The last big flock I saw was on Halvergate marshes. When I was a kid there were flocks in all the local fields. Not for a long time, alas.

• Like 3

I won this seagull on the 2p machines at Yarmuff. Does this count as nature?!

received_931327988790635.jpeg

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

There is the possibility of a large geomagnetic storm tonight, and a chance that the Northern lights may be visible in the uk 

Last night in Mulbarton (not my photo) 

Screenshot_20240511_061301_Facebook.thumb.jpg.e0f70468154368b4848765af0fef8667.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Nik Vawn said:

Some astonishing photo around from last nights display

My favourite so far from the Peak District 

Screenshot_20240511_073347_Facebook.thumb.jpg.2d98a5c445363989d3e07579e0ae0a6a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Felix Happer was over the Moon about it all. He rang me from Scotland this morning to tell me all about it.

Unfortunately, he ran out of coins halfway through, so I didn't get the full picture.

Ring. Ring.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2024 at 16:06, The Raptor said:

I won this seagull on the 2p machines at Yarmuff. Does this count as nature?!

received_931327988790635.jpeg

C'mon The Raptor, you need to specify the species of gull, seagull just won't do. 🤓🫣🤣🤣

Apples

You know those big spiders we usually get in Aug/Sept?  There's one in my bathroom right now.  Huge. 

11 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

C'mon The Raptor, you need to specify the species of gull, seagull just won't do. 🤓🫣🤣🤣

Apples

I'm not sure on that. I can only  confirm his full name is 'Steven the seagull' as that's what it says on the label

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

possibility of a return of the lights tonight

northern lights

Disappointed not to see anything last night, apparently the activity dropped until after midnight. There’s a chance again tonight as stronger activity is expected 

On 10/05/2024 at 10:43, Herman said:

I haven't heard a single cuckoo so far. Getting limited to what I see and hear at the moment. 😕

Heard one today, only for a short time though.

• Like 1

A no-spotted ladybird. I can't remember seeing one of these before.

p?i=67433b28ac38ec313c78041e30db8628

p?i=69b3065870104ba5fe93e8eace9b32a1