Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Unless the greasy chips get you first 😉

I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer

Fear is the little death that brings obliteration.

I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me.

And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

7 minutes ago, Van wink said:

More infectious and less virulent will hopefully be the outcome in Europe too and we can all get back to a more normal existence, obviously best to be cautious until we can see how things play out here.

Caution, Yes definitely. What we have seen though is shameless political fear mongering which will have tipped many over the edge. We simply can’t go on losing our collective **** as a society every time there is a new variant of concern. We were told we had to learn to live with this and hopefully this variant is milder and we can go back to living. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sonyc said:

Edit: nor talking to the NHS, who found out at 8pm last night too!

I was able to book on Saturday morning, despite the announcement re 30+ being able to book only being made some hours after I’d booked. Through the nhs website. And the bbc was reporting others able to do so too. Must have had some notice in that case you’d have thought even if it was only an extra day or so (unless the website was just in the blink).

9 hours ago, Indy said:

As a novice sky diver, I’d be strapped to a fully qualified and experienced one who would pull the parachute when needed safely, like that I’ll take the lead from the science and those in the know rather than take too many costly measures for no real reason. There still no real evidence yet, but initial information from this variant appears to be still very mild! 

I can only hope YF isn’t let out the house very often if he thinks jumping out of a plane without a parachute is in “not enough data so why take the risk” territory. 

32 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I was able to book on Saturday morning, despite the announcement re 30+ being able to book only being made some hours after I’d booked. Through the nhs website. And the bbc was reporting others able to do so too. Must have had some notice in that case you’d have thought even if it was only an extra day or so (unless the website was just in the blink).

I can only hope YF isn’t let out the house very often if he thinks jumping out of a plane without a parachute is in “not enough data so why take the risk” territory. 

Actually I used to fly gliders - taught at the time by retired WW2 pilot (who still loved flying) near Basingstoke - and knew the drill to get out of crippled plane, no static line, freefall, reserve, already low and throw yourself under the wing as it tumbles by somebody who'd done it once or twice for real  - that &  'I think we'll let it land itself' territory. He was very cool, calm and unfazed with lots of stories. Luckily I never had to jump (Gliding is actually safe). Risk is managed and obvious.

No I'm not risk adverse in my own capacity - but as a public position I do not risk others.

9 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Actually I used to fly gliders - taught at the time by retired WW2 pilot (who still loved flying) near Basingstoke - and knew the drill to get out of crippled plane, no static line, freefall, reserve, already low and throw yourself under the wing as it tumbles by somebody who'd done it once or twice for real  - that &  'I think we'll let it land itself' territory. He was very cool, calm and unfazed with lots of stories. Luckily I never had to jump (Gliding is actually safe). Risk is managed and obvious.

No I'm not risk adverse in my own capacity - but as a public position I do not risk others.

😂 YF you’re a good poster but your analogies are pretty funny! 

I look at it more like our defence is the vaccine, with just Hanley it’s pretty ****e, but add Gibson and Omobamdele then we have a far more robust defence against most teams,. Now Delta variant is like Salah, bloody dangerous, so still scores regardless! Bu this new variant is more like Hugill……😉 (Still to be confirmed as not a danger to any premiership defence).

Edited by Indy
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Indy said:

I look at it more like our defence is the vaccine, with just Hanley it’s pretty ****e, but add Gibson and Omobamdele then we have a far more robust defence against Covid. Now Delta variant is like Salah, bloody dangerous, so still scores regardless! Bu this new variant is more like Hugill……😉 (Still to be confirmed as not a danger to any premiership defence).

Yes - Truth is the analogies or anecdotes (and oddly I have done many bizarre things in bizarre places over many years - Michael Palin eat your heart out - no film crew) are just means to highlight the risks.

In gliding its the experienced (read complacent) as with Covid and the Politicians that get killed - some will know of a 'racing finish' and then cartwheeling into the ground - or never fly in cloud (you can believe it or not easily get yourself disorientated and find yourself (like Johnson) in a vertical dive popping out of the cloud base beyond VNE...

Us amateurs play safe! 

As to Hugill (Omicron)  - he could actually grow up be be a Harry Kane!

Edited by Yellow Fever

30 minutes ago, Indy said:

I look at it more like our defence is the vaccine, with just Hanley it’s pretty ****e, but add Gibson and Omobamdele then we have a far more robust defence against most teams,. Now Delta variant is like Salah, bloody dangerous, so still scores regardless! Bu this new variant is more like Hugill……😉 (Still to be confirmed as not a danger to any premiership defence).

Maybe even a Sargent…: and yes you are right, three at the back is the answer 😁 But as YF says, we don’t know atm if it’s Harry😉

Edited by Van wink
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Still relatively good news from S Africa.

Fingers crossed

Is he still promoting Ivermectin as well ?

Here is a good chart showing the best estimate currently with no jab, 1 jab, 2 jab and booster. The bit that is rightly or wrongly causing government and NHS is concern is below, however it should be stressed that treatments are now better and T cells seem to be holding up in South Africa, so their previous infection rate is helping .

Dr Simon Clarke, a microbiologist at Reading University, argued the drop in efficacy of two jabs was still 'concerning'. He told MailOnline: 'Nobody ever expected Omicron to wipe out vaccine efficacy it was just a drop that was expected — and that in itself can do enough damage.' 

Even at 84 per cent protection from severe illness, that leaves 16 per cent vulnerable to being hospitalised or killed by Omicron. That's up to three times as many as with Delta.  

image.thumb.jpeg.419a0e5c95c2fe97432ea5bb5e74ce53.jpeg

Good news for the fully vaccinated coming out of the official figures for South Africa and Israel today, in that if you are fully vaccinated Omicron could be up to 1/10 less severe than previous variants. 
So the plea again get those boosters especially if it’s 5 months or more since your second jab as only time will tell how much more severe it is for that group.

Government Says it’s not planning any more restrictions but it wants everyone booster jabbed anyway?

if you listen closely, even at this early hour, you can hear the goalposts being moved again

8 hours ago, Well b back said:

Here is a good chart showing the best estimate currently with no jab, 1 jab, 2 jab and booster. The bit that is rightly or wrongly causing government and NHS is concern is below, however it should be stressed that treatments are now better and T cells seem to be holding up in South Africa, so their previous infection rate is helping .

Dr Simon Clarke, a microbiologist at Reading University, argued the drop in efficacy of two jabs was still 'concerning'. He told MailOnline: 'Nobody ever expected Omicron to wipe out vaccine efficacy it was just a drop that was expected — and that in itself can do enough damage.' 

Even at 84 per cent protection from severe illness, that leaves 16 per cent vulnerable to being hospitalised or killed by Omicron. That's up to three times as many as with Delta.  

image.thumb.jpeg.419a0e5c95c2fe97432ea5bb5e74ce53.jpeg

Until we know whether it is more or less deadly than Delta and by how much, the hospital and death figures are entirely speculative.

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

The simple language in this article has obviously found it’s target audience here…

The BBC sticking to it's Reithian principles to inform, educate & entertain.

😀

32 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So what have you chaps got to do tonight to get into the ground? Nothing different or provide some evidence.

Just barge our way in as usual.😉

This is excellent news and highlights why we play for time and try and delay catching Covid. I'm sure the doomsters don't want to wait for the pill if they get Covid.

Pfizer says Covid pill near 90% effective for high-risk patients

Pfizer Inc has said final analysis of its antiviral Covid-19 pill still showed near 90% efficacy in preventing hospitalisations and deaths in high-risk patients, and recent lab data suggests the drug retains its effectiveness against the Omicron variant, Reuters reports.....

The US drugmaker last month said the oral medicine was around 89% effective in preventing hospitalisations or deaths when compared to placebo based on interim results in around 1,200 people. The data disclosed on Tuesday includes an additional 1,000 people.

Nobody in the trial who received the Pfizer treatment died, compared with 12 deaths among placebo recipients.

4 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

Whereas Whitty and the Moderna expert are being less optimistic. If there is one clear lesson from the pandemic so far it is that initial claims and assumptions are not to be relied upon, and are often guided more by a political viewpoint than science.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Whereas Whitty and the Moderna expert are being less optimistic. If there is one clear lesson from the pandemic so far it is that initial claims and assumptions are not to be relied upon, and are often guided more by a political viewpoint than science.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/14/south-africa-previous-infections-may-explain-omicron-hospitalisation-rate

Etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

This is excellent news and highlights why we play for time and try and delay catching Covid. I'm sure the doomsters don't want to wait for the pill if they get Covid.

Pfizer says Covid pill near 90% effective for high-risk patients

Pfizer Inc has said final analysis of its antiviral Covid-19 pill still showed near 90% efficacy in preventing hospitalisations and deaths in high-risk patients, and recent lab data suggests the drug retains its effectiveness against the Omicron variant, Reuters reports.....

The US drugmaker last month said the oral medicine was around 89% effective in preventing hospitalisations or deaths when compared to placebo based on interim results in around 1,200 people. The data disclosed on Tuesday includes an additional 1,000 people.

Nobody in the trial who received the Pfizer treatment died, compared with 12 deaths among placebo recipients.

Indeed

With the boosters this is why I feel wether it is more deadly or not it won’t have the same effect at the serious end. 

7 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Indeed

With the boosters this is why I feel wether it is more deadly or not it won’t have the same effect at the serious end. 

It's a numbers game which many forget - and Omicron appears to have the numbers on its side in spades. It might (or might not) be generally less severe on average  - but you can still be one of the unlucky one. The more get it the more unlucky ones there will be.

All that said we are getting better at treatments as noted.

The only way out of this is through vaccines. Everybody on earth is going to get it except maybe as yet uncontacted tribes in the Amazon. Restrictions are merely a delaying mechanism and if it happens to be very mild and outcompetes all others, it may yet turn out to be good news in the long run.

Either we will come through it pretty quickly or else by next Xmas, the last dregs of humanity will be huddled round a candle chewing their shoe leather.